HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Adjusted GAA

Old
09-01-2013, 03:08 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
Adjusted GAA

Does anyone know if there is a list of goalies GAAs adjusted based on the year's average goals per game. (ie. A GAA in a high scoring era such as the 80s or the 1910 drops, while a GAA in a low scoring era such as the late 90s or the 30s goes up)

Preferably the numbers would be adjusted to the current goals per game average, but anything would be good. I am just interested in how goalies from different eras would compare stats-wise

09-01-2013, 11:16 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Does anyone know if there is a list of goalies GAAs adjusted based on the year's average goals per game. (ie. A GAA in a high scoring era such as the 80s or the 1910 drops, while a GAA in a low scoring era such as the late 90s or the 30s goes up)

Preferably the numbers would be adjusted to the current goals per game average, but anything would be good. I am just interested in how goalies from different eras would compare stats-wise
Hockey-reference.com has this: http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...ed_career.html

Not sure how the adjustment works; it seems mighty fishy that 5 of the top 9 in career adjusted GAA are all active.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Hockey-reference.com has this: http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...ed_career.html

Not sure how the adjustment works; it seems mighty fishy that 5 of the top 9 in career adjusted GAA are all active.
This is what they're claiming their methodology is >>>>>

"Adjusted Goals Against Average

To compute adjusted goals against average, first figure the player's unadjusted goals against average, then multiply by an era adjustment. The era adjustment is found by dividing 3 (our base goals against average) by the league goals against average without the goaltender in question.

For example, in 1993-94 Dominik Hasek allowed 109 goals in 3358 minutes, a goals against average of (109 / 3358) * 60 = 1.95.

The league totals were 6927 goals in 132362 minutes, giving a league goals against average (without Hasek) of ((6927 - 109) / (132362 - 3358)) * 60 = 3.17. Thus the era adjustment is 3 / 3.17 = 0.946.

Appyling this to Hasek's goals against average, we get an adjusted goals against average of 1.95 * 0.946 = 1.84."

I agree their seems to be something "off" there but I can't figure out the whyfores.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 12:36 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post

I agree their seems to be something "off" there but I can't figure out the whyfores.
Maybe it's just that young active players haven't yet had years of declining to bring down their averages. I dunno, I feel like something else has to be there for there to be THAT many active players at the top though.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Maybe it's just that young active players haven't yet had years of declining to bring down their averages. I dunno, I feel like something else has to be there for there to be THAT many active players at the top though.
That's a good possibility. Honestly, I'm never fond of comparing active players still in their primes to retired players. The active player's resume is incomplete afterall.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote