HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who did the Habs want with pick #19 at the draft?

Old
08-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
I think it was Rychel, mainly because of Bergevin's comment on draft day about ''crossing their fingers for 4 or 5 picks'' that McCarron would be there at 25, which tells me he was ahead of Burakovsky on their list. Rychel went 19th, so it would make sense they shifted into McCarron mode after that.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I think it was Rychel, mainly because of Bergevin's comment on draft day about ''crossing their fingers for 4 or 5 picks'' that McCarron would be there at 25, which tells me he was ahead of Burakovsky on their list. Rychel went 19th, so it would make sense they shifted into McCarron mode after that.
Yeah, could be. He also fit the team need of big, gritty forward..and more proven offensively than McCarron.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:40 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I suggest you have a look at the pictures he took for the draft They're...hilarious in an odd way.

Do tell..........

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

The 2013 draft was heralded as strong and deep. If that's the case we should forget about the first rounders Bergevin was unable to acquire by moving up and view the Habs second round picks as late first rounders relative to other drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them turned out to better than a first rounder like Louis Leblanc, for example,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:02 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The 2013 draft was heralded as strong and deep. If that's the case we should forget about the first rounders Bergevin was unable to acquire by moving up and view the Habs second round picks as late first rounders relative to other drafts. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them turned out to better than a first rounder like Louis Leblanc, for example,
I total agree with you. The picks in the 2nd and I will go as far as the 3rd round might look like we stole the draft in 2013 in 5 years.

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
hogtownhabsfan

I think it was Rychel, but also Mantha is a possibility. Size, scoring, Quebecois....

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I heard through the grapevine that the Habs were not very high on Mantha and were happy he went before their pick(leaving a player they actually wanted).
Mantha, much like Grigorenko the previous season is exactly the type of player that they are trying to avoid with their top picks.

It is important that your top players and core of your franchise are comprised of character players who lead by example.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:28 AM
McPheesMoustache
No Scrubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
I total agree with you. The picks in the 2nd and I will go as far as the 3rd round might look like we stole the draft in 2013 in 5 years.
This.

It may turn out that Rychel becomes a better player than McCarron, but regardless it is highly doubtful that in 3-4 years we would trade McC, Fucale, and Lekhonen for Rychel and that is what it may have cost.

I think that had TT/Brogevin known who would have been available at their later picks they dont even bother calling.

Too many years of not getting to see TT do his thing with the second rounders which is where he seems to really excel at identifying underrated talent.

If anything I wouldnt have minded the Habs trading down to pick up an extra 2nd.

McPheesMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If you think about it Montreal got 3 first round picks this year in comparison to other years, McCarron, De La Rose and Fucale, I can really see McCarron making the NHL, De La Rose as a 2nd line/3rd line centre and Fucale at the starting goalie one day.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:07 AM
MrNasty

As speculated. Bergevin tried to move up to get Morin at 11th oa. Flyers wanted him too much and declined trade offer.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...263861&lang=en

MrNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
As speculated. Bergevin tried to move up to get Morin at 11th oa. Flyers wanted him too much and declined trade offer.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...263861&lang=en
Ummmmm....

That is only proof of MB wanting to trade for the 11th pick and his offer wasn't sufficient to do so. It would clearly have nothing to do with Morin as MB could have only offered the 25th pick at the earliest in return.

The commentator was purely speculating and doing so very poorly it would seem.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
danyhabsfan

What time do I have to watch?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
what time do i have to watch?
2:20

Old
09-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Teufelsdreck

What Columbus pick?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:03 PM
24get

vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Ummmmm....

That is only proof of MB wanting to trade for the 11th pick and his offer wasn't sufficient to do so. It would clearly have nothing to do with Morin as MB could have only offered the 25th pick at the earliest in return.

The commentator was purely speculating and doing so very poorly it would seem.
Well if you would have listened to Stephane Leroux or Martin McGuire comments during the draft, he did some comments about the Habs were holding their heads when the NJD traded their eight pick for Schneider.
Seems that the Habs were going to try to get Morin at 8th (but it could have been Horvat also).

There is also this interview with MB on RDS, where it was clear that he was interested: his body language was clear when the question was asked to him.
Also this audio with Martin McGuire and Samuel Morin:
Listen at 30 seconds.

When a lot of people from different sources hint at the same thing, it may very well be the case. Some sources are even from other towns...
Leroux knowledge about LHJMQ is really good and McGuire is following the Habs like no other.

One thing for sure: MB tried to move up in the first round many times.

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:05 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Well if you would have listened to Stephane Leroux or Martin McGuire comments during the draft, he did some comments about the Habs were holding their heads when the NJD traded their eight pick for Schneider.
Seems that the Habs were going to try to get Morin at 8th (but it could have been Horvat also).

There is also this interview with MB on RDS, where it was clear that he was interested: his body language was clear when the question was asked to him.
Also this audio with Martin McGuire and Samuel Morin:
Listen at 30 seconds.

When a lot of people from different sources hint at the same thing, it may very well be the case. Some sources are even from other towns...
Leroux knowledge about LHJMQ is really good and McGuire is following the Habs like no other.

One thing for sure: MB tried to move up in the first round many times.
I always assumed it was horvat. There were rumors leading up to the draft that we were super high on him.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
In the video the narrator says: "when it became clear that Bergevin was interested in the same player as the Flyers, Holmgren politely declined."

Flyers then proceeded to take Morin, therefore proving that was the player the Habs wanted (after Horvat).

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd guess our list was
Horvat
Taken by NJ
Morin
Taken by Philly
Rychel
Taken by CLB
McCarron

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
24get

vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I always assumed it was horvat. There were rumors leading up to the draft that we were super high on him.
Quote:
Peut-etre les quatre, cinq pick avant, on s'est croisé les doigts
Listen at 18 seconds.

Morin rised a lot in the second half of the season.

McCarron also rised, I have heard a scout on 98.5 saying that McCarron improved a lot his skating in the second half of the season.

MB said that we addressed needs with our first picks.
As they picked at 25th, it is also possible that it was McCarron that was targeted with that pick.
After Columbus pick, there was 5 picks...

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Steve Shutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post

Interesting insight into the draft; especially the "trade value meter" Karkolainen and Davidson referred to qwhen discussing San Jose's offer for #14. Said the offer of 20 oa, a second and a third was marginally better than the 14th...but they still turned it down when SJ offered the 20oa, 2-2nds and a 4th to move up 6 spots. They must have really liked Wennberg.
The second offer was #20 & two seconds for #14 and a 4th.

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:42 AM
MXD

...Anybody even remotely considered the possibility of F. Gauthier being inbetween Rychel and McCarron? The WTK list was good, im just not sure it goes straight from Rychel to McCarron.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I definitely believe it was Horvat.....

Old
09-02-2013, 09:26 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Isnt Rychel the loser who didnt go to the habs combine and stated he wouldnt want to play for Montreal?
Have fun in Columbus.

CaptainIginla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...Anybody even remotely considered the possibility of F. Gauthier being inbetween Rychel and McCarron? The WTK list was good, im just not sure it goes straight from Rychel to McCarron.
Grant said in the McCarron thread that the Habs had DLR ranked ahead of Gauthier, so I wouldn't bet on that.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Isnt Rychel the loser who didnt go to the habs combine and stated he wouldnt want to play for Montreal?
Have fun in Columbus.
Nope, not him.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote