HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Dagistitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geecko View Post

The video of McCarron's fight during the game against Sarnia.
Yikes.

Thanks for posting though.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Like it or not guys, but fighting is a part of his game. So, he will need to improved it as much as skating ability, offensive awareness, etc...

So, he will need to practice fighting, even though, some guys here hate it.

Old
09-02-2013, 12:42 PM
aresknights

He is going to work on it and there's a few guys in town and in the org that can offer that help this year in london

Old
09-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Carey Chant

From this camera angle he looks a bit better...he's willing so you can work with that...

Old
09-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
From this camera angle he looks a bit better...he's willing so you can work with that...
Wasn't that bad. He looked okay in this fight. But anyways, couldn't care less if he fights or not...

Old
09-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

I suppose it's better to know how to fight than not know how to fight. But that doesn't mean you should look for opportunities to show it.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Noob616

Whatever, dude's 18. Plenty of time to get better at punching people in the face.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly, as I stated before, that doesn't sound to me like the best of scouts. Was a stupid statement made and him talking about his skating, is really not about comparing players his size but just mentioning a flaw, to which we all realize it still is. When somebody mentions "he skates well for a guy his size", you know that it's a weakness as, if he'd be really skating well....you wouldn't add "for a guy his size". Scout stated the obvious along with other stupid Lucic reference thing.

Which opinion should you trust more? A guy that has seen him a few times on a olympic ice or his coaches, habs guys, Grant, who has combined seen him more than this scout has and while recognize it's a work in progress, mentions it's not as bad as some likes to believe it is? Personnally, after seeing him live, it's not bad. He does need to work on agility though. Like most guys his size....
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I just wanted to point out how strange that comment was and that it could be irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I'm a scout -- I have said several times his skating is fine. I've provided quotes from several scouts in this thread who echo my opinion. Now a western scout anonymously opines that his skating is weak.....he must be right?
Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking, that comment is strange and doesn't mean anything.

Old
09-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Wasn't that bad. He looked okay in this fight. But anyways, couldn't care less if he fights or not...
That's surely the problem. For a guy some think he's the next Lucic and will destroy everybody, he looked "okay" against Nick Latta. 6'0 194 lbs, who is really not that good of a fighter. If Big Mac meets the same type of guys Tinordi met, he will be in a big trouble.

Anyway, I do not care. I want him to be a top 6 hockey player. Not a goon that can play hockey. Not going to be Lucic based on fighting abilities but could be Lucic based on an extremely raw player that will pick up his skating and offensive flair and be great at it. That's the goal. People should just stop with the fighting abilities. And just wish one day, we'll be able to find a UFA Jared Boll style to fill up the 4th line. Or hope Crisp ends up that type of player. What people should REALLY be worried about is to hope Big Mac ends up a great enough hockey player so that we don't regret passing up on all the kids we passed on. He has in him to do it. I hope Hunter realize that he doesn't have a fighter in his hands and if Big Mac thinks he is, to let him know he isn't. Fine to take care of that sort of business in due time but not everytime.

Old
09-02-2013, 03:15 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's surely the problem. For a guy some think he's the next Lucic and will destroy everybody, he looked "okay" against Nick Latta. 6'0 194 lbs, who is really not that good of a fighter. If Big Mac meets the same type of guys Tinordi met, he will be in a big trouble.

Anyway, I do not care. I want him to be a top 6 hockey player. Not a goon that can play hockey. Not going to be Lucic based on fighting abilities but could be Lucic based on an extremely raw player that will pick up his skating and offensive flair and be great at it. That's the goal. People should just stop with the fighting abilities. And just wish one day, we'll be able to find a UFA Jared Boll style to fill up the 4th line. Or hope Crisp ends up that type of player. What people should REALLY be worried about is to hope Big Mac ends up a great enough hockey player so that we don't regret passing up on all the kids we passed on. He has in him to do it. I hope Hunter realize that he doesn't have a fighter in his hands and if Big Mac thinks he is, to let him know he isn't. Fine to take care of that sort of business in due time but not everytime.
Because fighters plateau at 18 years old right? I think most of us are a lot more focused on his hockey-playing skills than we are focused on his fighting-skills. Nevertheless, Big Mac wants to be a good fighter, and so do we.

The kid has had very little experience with fighting so far in hockey, like everything else, let's be patient with this before writing him off in this aspect of the game?

Judging by what I saw, I have no doubt that the kid will improve, he only needs basic training, he has elites in Parros and Prust to help him out with that in Training Camp, and perhaps even past that.

You talk a lot about being patient with the kid, well, that applies to his fighting skills as well.

I'm sure the kid will be fine, may never be good enough to be Lucic or something, but that's fine. Either way, we should be patient.

Old
09-02-2013, 03:42 PM
ChoseLa

Doubt he'll ever be as a dominating fighter as Lucic, who might be the best technical fighter in the league and punches to make you miss your mother. I mean look at this : he cliches, he sends uppercuts, shots to the ribs and he's defensivly sounds, i know Mike isn't a good fighter but the way Lucic toys with him is nightmarish:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvq78Oc...%3DHvq78Oce52A

If he ends up like a Troy Brouwer i'd be happy.

Old
09-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Doubt he'll ever be as a dominating fighter as Lucic, who might be the best technical fighter in the league and punches to make you miss your mother. I mean look at this : he cliches, he sends uppercuts, shots to the ribs and he's defensivly sounds, i know Mike isn't a good fighter but the way Lucic toys with him is nightmarish:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvq78Oc...%3DHvq78Oce52A

If he ends up like a Troy Brouwer i'd be happy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but McCarron never had any boxing coach or even any formal boxing learning. I'm pretty sure he will get some (like so many prospects and NHL players and surely Lucic) and then we'll see how good a fighter he can be. Then again, I'm hoping that not the only thing he wil focused on.

Old
09-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but McCarron never had any boxing coach or even any formal boxing learning. I'm pretty sure he will get some (like so many prospects and NHL players and surely Lucic) and then we'll see how good a fighter he can be. Then again, I'm hoping that not the only thing he wil focused on.
McCarron is taking boxing lessons during offseasons. Coming from Timmins's mouth.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:02 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I doubt he never took any boxing lessons i mean a lot of non fighters take boxing lessons and Mac wants to be a fighter, he could become a very good fighter with time But Lucics (first liners who can fight anyone) come in once in a while, a big while.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
McCarron is taking boxing lessons during offseasons. Coming from Timmins's mouth.
Thanks wasn't sure if he did or not in the pas offseason. Then again, I guess we'll see, I don't remember how Lucic was fighting at his age.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I doubt he never took any boxing lessons i mean a lot of non fighters take boxing lessons and Mac wants to be a fighter, he could become a very good fighter with time But Lucics (first liners who can fight anyone) come in once in a while, a big while.
Well, in the last few years they are rares, but at a time it was pretty common.

Shanahan, Nolan, Neely, Roberts, Lindros, Wendel Clark, Primeau, Guerin, Hunter, Tkachuk, Iginla, Tocchet etc.

Last edited by Forsead: 09-02-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old
09-02-2013, 04:46 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Well, in the last few years they are rares, but at a time it was pretty common.

Shanahan, Nolan, Neely, Roberts, Lindros, Domi, Wendel Clark, Primeau, Guerin, Hunter, Tkachuk, Iginla, Tocchet etc.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Thanks wasn't sure if he did or not in the pas offseason. Then again, I guess we'll see, I don't remember how Lucic was fighting at his age.
Here he is boxing as a 17 year old.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Yeah Domi wasn't really a first liner more like third sorry.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
Where are all the people that thought he could step in and fight Lucic right away now?

Glad he's off to a good start though with a goal.

Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Where are all the people that thought he could step in and fight Lucic right away now?
I dunno, you should quote them just to make sure they actually exist first

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Because fighters plateau at 18 years old right? I think most of us are a lot more focused on his hockey-playing skills than we are focused on his fighting-skills. Nevertheless, Big Mac wants to be a good fighter, and so do we.

The kid has had very little experience with fighting so far in hockey, like everything else, let's be patient with this before writing him off in this aspect of the game?

Judging by what I saw, I have no doubt that the kid will improve, he only needs basic training, he has elites in Parros and Prust to help him out with that in Training Camp, and perhaps even past that.

You talk a lot about being patient with the kid, well, that applies to his fighting skills as well.

I'm sure the kid will be fine, may never be good enough to be Lucic or something, but that's fine. Either way, we should be patient.
No. They don't plateau at 18...but a guy that big and with a supposed talent for fighting should dominate a guy that is much smaller and not that good at fighting. So the hill is much higher to climb for him than most people think. Good to great fighters in the NHL were able to show their stuff from the get go. Not sure you will find guys that looked ordinairy in juniors that suddenly became a force in the NHL. Even looking great at that level doesn't even mean you will in higher levels. But hey, I guess we will know. I know, I'm not expecting nor do I want a fighter out of him. A guy that could takes care of him and his teamates if needed, okay. But a guy looking for fights? That's not what I'm looking for in a 1st rounder. Crisp could become that and I'd be glad. But Big Mac? Not for me. Sure, if he ends up that way, the more the merrier....but I'm really not expecting. Strange though, that a guy with little experience at fighting was already penciled as a possible Lucic...how did that happen?

People underrate so much the art of fighting in the NHL it's scary. Just like Bruins or any other fans who just want Emelin, Subban or whoever to fight 'cause they just hit a guy hard not realizing that fighting is an art that not everybody can possess and hitting hard ISN'T a reason why you should add fighting in your resume.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Smokey Thompson

Really needs to work on his punches and focusing on getting the helmet off.

It amazing how he overpowers his opponents though.

Anyone find a video of his goal btw?

Old
09-02-2013, 06:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post

Glad he's off to a good start though with a goal.
Who cares about Lucic anyway? Lucic is a player of his own. If anyone expects McCarron to beat Lucic they will be disappointed. Lucic boxed since he was a kid, 1-2 years of OHl fighting won't equate.

I just hope McCarron can help provide some needed toughness and strength into our top 9 along with offensive ability to match the size. Other than that, it's a bonus.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Who cares about Lucic anyway? Lucic is a player of his own. If anyone expects McCarron to beat Lucic they will be disappointed. Lucic boxed since he was a kid, 1-2 years of OHl fighting won't equate.

I just hope McCarron can help provide some needed toughness and strength into our top 9 along with offensive ability to match the size. Other than that, it's a bonus.
The subject will always come up as McCarron himself said he'd take care of Lucic, wich was a mistake in the first place.

Closed Thread