HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larman recalled from Rochester

Old
11-13-2006, 07:43 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

vCash: 500
Larman recalled from Rochester

(November 13, 2006) — As a carrot for his teammates to chase on Sunday night, Drew Larman said he'd pay the first $200 of the tab at their postgame gathering as long as they defeated the Chicago Wolves.

The Rochester Americans did indeed win, but Larman had to call it an early night. He had a plane to catch this morning.

The second-year centerman was recalled by the parent Florida Panthers and is expected to play in tonight's 7:30 game against the Washington Capitals in suburban Miami.

Larman scored his fifth goal in the 7-3 victory over Chicago and has seven points in 11 games. He scored seven goals in 44 games last season as a rookie.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 08:25 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Who?

JonathanHuberdoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
zeroG

thanks for the post. interesting that nobody in sofla has this info. it would appear that the injury to weiss is severe enough to keep him out for a while.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels87 View Post
thanks for the post. interesting that nobody in sofla has this info. it would appear that the injury to weiss is severe enough to keep him out for a while.
That would not be good, considering Weiss has been the only consistent player on this team all season (I'd include Joe Nieuwendyk, but all the time he's missed with his back and groin are an issue, too).

11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Whitester

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...14/1007/SPORTS

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/drew_larman

A new name to me, does anyone know what to expect from this guy?

Last edited by Whitester: 11-13-2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typo!
Whitester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Acadmus

I seem to recall he had a very good training camp, was physical and managed to put up some points in exhibition play. But that was camp.

He was a free agent signing by Keenan last year, and I believe one of the Making the Cut semi-finalists (last couple dozen guys that didn't win the 6 Canadian team try-out contracts). But I could be wrong about that. Keenan signed a number of those guys to the Panthers and put them in the system, though, and added some more this year.

Maybe a good story for George R to look into? Which of these guys are from Making the Cut, and what's their background prior to the show?

EDIT: The training camp performance I'm remembering was probably David Booth's actually - I'm not sure anymore.

Last edited by Acadmus: 11-13-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 10:59 PM
RUSqueelin

Larman is a big guy who is a defensive first forward. Very responible that way. Can chip in the odd point. He is not a point getter so don't expect him to rack up points. If you understand the game and watch him, you will appreciate all the little things he does right.

Drew played in the OHL prior to signing with Flordia last year. He was never drafted by an NHL team. In his last year of junior, he got traded to a REALLY good team that went all the way and won the Memorial Cup which got him some exposure. Keenan signed him after that. He was the perfect compliment on the team as a 3rd/4th liner who can check, be responsible in own end, and chip in the odd goal. If he was good enough to contribute on that team, he's good enough to get a shot in the show.

He was never on the show "Making the Cut"

also add that he's a nice guy too. good character guy.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 11:04 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Anyone know how he looked tonight? Noticed he got more then ten minutes of ice time too...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
HockeySS19

From what I heard, he played pretty well and set up some nice chances (of course, you hve to know the Panthers not to finish any of them)

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 12:02 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySS19 View Post
From what I heard, he played pretty well and set up some nice chances (of course, you hve to know the Panthers not to finish any of them)
I was very impressed with him. He made a great pass to Olesz who naturally couldn't finish, he made several crushing hits that made the crowd really get into it, and skated hard. He has a nice stride, a fairly strong skater although not explosive or anything. Seems like a big lanky guy but I really hope he stays around. Of all our callups (Globke, Jacina, etc....) I like him the most far and away.

Also made a highlight reel defensive play I believe lifting Ovechkins stick in the slot and stealing the puck.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 06:17 AM
zeroG

agreed. he looked like he belongs. he got plenty of ice (a sign that jacques was seeing the same thing we were) for a first timer and really had a strong game on both ends. he was around the puck every shift. it's only one game but i think we're going to be seeing more of him.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
Anyone know how he looked tonight? Noticed he got more then ten minutes of ice time too...
He looked great. Like he actually belongs on Buffalo's team.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 02:13 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

"November 14, 2006

SUNRISE, Fla. – Florida Panthers general manager and head coach Jacques Martin announced today that the club has reassigned C Drew Larman to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

Larman made his NHL debut last night against the Washington Capitals. The 21-year-old rookie played 10:48 and recorded one shot on goal with one hit, while winning five of eight faceoff opportunities."

Good to see him come up and create a couple of chances, but if he's going back, then Weiss must be a-okay for Thursday.

timetraveler023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Cats View Post
"November 14, 2006

SUNRISE, Fla. – Florida Panthers general manager and head coach Jacques Martin announced today that the club has reassigned C Drew Larman to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

Larman made his NHL debut last night against the Washington Capitals. The 21-year-old rookie played 10:48 and recorded one shot on goal with one hit, while winning five of eight faceoff opportunities."

Good to see him come up and create a couple of chances, but if he's going back, then Weiss must be a-okay for Thursday.

That sucks. He showed a lot of energy out there, and for being his first NHL game, I thought he looked better than some of the vets on the ice last night.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Acadmus

Does Campbell have to clear waivers to go down or something?

Forget the suggestion - forgot Greg's one of the few players on the team with any guts.

For God's sake, Jacques, just freakin' waive Jackman if you can't trade him to clear up a roster spot to carry an extra forward. Converting Kiwi isn't enough if Larman's good enough to get over 10 1/2 minutes in his NHL debut but gets demoted the next day.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:26 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Cats View Post

Hopefully, or it just could be Nieuwendyk making his weekly showing. We need them both back though. The more players that come back, the better.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote