HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crawford signs extension: 6 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2013, 02:00 PM
  #76
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
If that cap doesn't go up, i think we'd lose one of Kane or Toews or Hjalmarsson. I don't even want to think about cap management anymore. This is potentially a nightmare.

BUT this is what 2 Cups in 4 years gets Bowman in my eyes. I think he's been a fantastic GM and he's proven that he knows what he's doing. I trust that he is going to handle this very, very well. He's earned that trust from us as fans.
Speak for yourself. Godawful signing, and far from Stan's first poor decision, but it could be his worst as Blackhawk's GM.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:18 PM
  #77
Slopo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wladyslaw View Post
CC was the one of big reasons we won cup? Emery had same stats as CC all year long!

The Hawks in front of the Goalies- were the BIG reason they won Cup!!!
And not saving that $6M for future Hawks in front of the Goalie- may be the reason they don't win again!!!

Of course, if Cap $72-$74M in 2016- it won't matter as much!

You're making yourself look like a bigger idiot with each post.

Yes, Emery and Crawford had similar regular season stats, but Crawford's playoff stats were great. If you remember (which you probably don't), the Hawks weren't exactly playing well against the Wild in the first round and it's been said that Crawford carried the Hawks through that round.

Crawford is also the reason why the Game 6 magic was even remotely possible in the Finals.

Slopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:22 PM
  #78
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Since when is keeping a Cup winning team and budding dynasty together a bad thing? Great signing. Don't reference Emery, think about the difference, jesus.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:35 PM
  #79
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
I don't think this was a good deal, but I don't think it was a terrible one either. Crawford was going to get 5M per, whether it was in Chicago or somewhere else.

Crawford had to get more than Jimmy Howard and Mike Smith, who make 5.2M and 5.6M respectively, and the deal Rask just got helped Crawford's agents case as well. I don't think Crawford is better than Rask, but he did out-perform him in the Final and Rask just signed an 8-year, 7M contract.

At the end of the day, I'd be far more comfortable with Crawford at 5M per. But given what other goaltenders have received this year, and given what Crawford did this past season, it would have been a dangerous game for Chicago to "wait out" his contract extension. They could "hope" that Crawford gets off to an average/meh start, and try to get an extension done in-season, "knowing" that he was better than the start he had - but if their offer was too low, Crawford could wait it out as well and see what he could get in free-agency. If Crawford were to get off to an outstanding start (2.00GAA, .920+Sv%), that would only continue to drive his value up, making it more difficult for Chicago to retain him and more likely that Crawford would go to free-agency.

Now, some would say, "fine, let him go, bring up Raanta or another goaltender".. and maybe Raantta pans out, and maybe he doesn't, but the Hawks know they can win a Cup playing in front of Crawford. This team has learned how to play in front of him. If they can keep that going, that's what they should be after.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:41 PM
  #80
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
I don't think this was a good deal, but I don't think it was a terrible one either. Crawford was going to get 5M per, whether it was in Chicago or somewhere else.

Crawford had to get more than Jimmy Howard and Mike Smith, who make 5.2M and 5.6M respectively, and the deal Rask just got helped Crawford's agents case as well. I don't think Crawford is better than Rask, but he did out-perform him in the Final and Rask just signed an 8-year, 7M contract.

At the end of the day, I'd be far more comfortable with Crawford at 5M per. But given what other goaltenders have received this year, and given what Crawford did this past season, it would have been a dangerous game for Chicago to "wait out" his contract extension. They could "hope" that Crawford gets off to an average/meh start, and try to get an extension done in-season, "knowing" that he was better than the start he had - but if their offer was too low, Crawford could wait it out as well and see what he could get in free-agency. If Crawford were to get off to an outstanding start (2.00GAA, .920+Sv%), that would only continue to drive his value up, making it more difficult for Chicago to retain him and more likely that Crawford would go to free-agency.

Now, some would say, "fine, let him go, bring up Raanta or another goaltender".. and maybe Raantta pans out, and maybe he doesn't, but the Hawks know they can win a Cup playing in front of Crawford. This team has learned how to play in front of him. If they can keep that going, that's what they should be after.
HockeySensible with a post that is just that; sensible. Well said.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:44 PM
  #81
DayNah
Ship it donk!
 
DayNah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
I hate the contract. Every part of it.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:47 PM
  #82
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
I think he'll go at least .920 over the contract and .920+ in the playoffs, and with consistency, so yeah, I love it. He fits this team perfectly.

I also think he will be starting G for Canada and play in the gold medal game, so I was worried about getting it done after that, think he would get 6.5M or more after that happens.

Calgary, obvious. Philly, obvious. Montreal, if Price has a bad year again, I highly doubt he even makes it through the season, absolutely gone after if Crawford is UFA.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:52 PM
  #83
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,428
vCash: 500
Higher than I'd like, but no complaining from me just yet. We did just win the Cup with this guy.

The things that will make or break this deal are how much the cap goes up before Toews, Kane, and Hammer's deals are done, and how well Crawford deals with the new equipment standards.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
  #84
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,681
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
So long as it doesn't hurt our chances of keeping Hammer CC can be our Osgood.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:14 PM
  #85
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets
 
Sleight Of Hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Panama
Country: United States
Posts: 9,486
vCash: 500
I think it is roughly a million too much and a year too long.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:35 PM
  #86
HeisenBaez
Registered User
 
HeisenBaez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Raanta is unproven and the goalies in the system are pretty much hit and miss, so I understand the need to lock up the only known and proven goalie in the franchise. Not thrill with yr/AAV but it's a price for goalie stability in the NHL. Just hope he doesn't wet the bed now.

HeisenBaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:36 PM
  #87
wladyslaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopo View Post
You're making yourself look like a bigger idiot with each post.

Yes, Emery and Crawford had similar regular season stats, but Crawford's playoff stats were great. If you remember (which you probably don't), the Hawks weren't exactly playing well against the Wild in the first round and it's been said that Crawford carried the Hawks through that round.

Crawford is also the reason why the Game 6 magic was even remotely possible in the Finals.
Slopo- what statement "is making me look like bigger idiot with each post"?
Fact- CC and Emery had Identical Season stats
My opinion- that "Hawks in front of Goalie" were the biggest reason Hawks won?
Fact- that " this contract may be the reason we can't sign others if Cap doesn't go up big"?

Like I said- if Cap goes to $72M+ - Hawks will survive- below that, Some good Hawks will no longer be affordable in 2016-17. Fact!

wladyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  #88
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 500
Pricey. But good to have him locked up.


Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  #89
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
Went to see him today in his hometown of Chateauguay Quebec. Hes a class act and tried to sign everything thrown at him.


Great signing and a great guy. Congrats to my 2nd fav team!

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  #90
ploppsdman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
I look forward to everyone complaining about the contract for the next 6 years... This is a bad contract.. since when do you give six million a year to someone who is not a difference maker on the team. He is an average goalie on an above average team and you just paid him Elite goalie money. Ridiculous.

I look at it this way... With this contract could you even trade him right now? Would anyone take on Corey Crawford for 6 years at six million per? My guess is: absolutely not.


Last edited by ploppsdman: 09-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
ploppsdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:21 PM
  #91
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppsdman View Post
I look forward to everyone complaining about the contract for the next 6 years... This is a bad contract.. since when do you give six million a year to someone who is not a difference maker on the team. He is an average goalie on an above average team and you just paid him Elite goalie money. Ridiculous.

I look at it this way... With this contract could you even trade him right now? Would anyone take on Corey Crawford for 6 years at six million per? My guess is: absolutely not.
Top 5 in GAA, top 6 in save%, average goalie

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:35 PM
  #92
skillhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
So niemi wasn't worth close to 3M but Crawford is worth 6m for 6 years, was it? There's some irony boys and girls.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
  #93
HawksFan86
Registered User
 
HawksFan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
So niemi wasn't worth close to 3M but Crawford is worth 6m for 6 years, was it? There's some irony boys and girls.
Niemi was a RFA Crawford was going to be an UFA, apples to oranges.

HawksFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:58 PM
  #94
Kurtosis
RIP Clint
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 15,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
So niemi wasn't worth close to 3M but Crawford is worth 6m for 6 years, was it? There's some irony boys and girls.
I don't like the contract either, but it would be best for you to figure out how contracts work before spouting off.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
  #95
ModryJazyk
Registered User
 
ModryJazyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Top 5 in GAA, top 6 in save%, average goalie
too much, too long ... 6 years omg.For goalie with exactly same stats as Emery had thru season, in same number of games played, and playing behind superb Hawks defense and elite PK units.
Lets hope and pray he won't turn to another Huet w/o option send him to France and get rid of his cap hit this time.

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:15 PM
  #96
xX Hot Fuss
Registered User
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Any time I need a comedic pick-me-up HF Boards never fails.
Hey the hawks board hasn't had a meltdown since the PHX loss, cut these guys some slack lol

After thinking about it for an afternoon I've decided we have to trust Stan, Craw, and Q to make this all work. They've earned our trust at this point.

And LOL @ Blues fans on the main trade thread. Their pettiness never ceases to amaze

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:28 PM
  #97
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
So niemi wasn't worth close to 3M but Crawford is worth 6m for 6 years, was it? There's some irony boys and girls.
Do you know what year it is?

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:38 PM
  #98
skillhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I don't like the contract either, but it would be best for you to figure out how contracts work before spouting off.
I'm very interested for your "explanation". They paid him double his worth, plain and simple. Maybe pay couple years 3m and see if he's getting better but not this.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
  #99
Spectra
Registered boozer
 
Spectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Nobody was giving him that on the open market unless he has a Vezina type next season. Why not wait until a bit of the season has been played before commiting that kind of money?

Better pray he keeps improving and that this doesn't mean Hammer is gone...This has Huet written all over it, hope I'm wrong.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
  #100
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
I'm very interested for your "explanation". They paid him double his worth, plain and simple. Maybe pay couple years 3m and see if he's getting better but not this.
Someone already asked but I'll ask again, do you know what year it is?

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.