HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Crawford signs extension: 6 years

Old
09-02-2013, 05:40 PM
HawksFan86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
I'm very interested for your "explanation". They paid him double his worth, plain and simple. Maybe pay couple years 3m and see if he's getting better but not this.
RFA vs UFA

We could only offer Niemi a smallish contract at the time and Hammer was also a FA, the Sharks took advantage and gave Niemi enough to be more than we could offer because we could only afford one of them. Had Niemi been unrestricted he would have gotten more.

HawksFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
I'm very interested for your "explanation". They paid him double his worth, plain and simple. Maybe pay couple years 3m and see if he's getting better but not this.
Are you for real?

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:43 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahl View Post
Crawford no longer has the unproven tag anymore. He was pretty much the Conn Smythe winner this year, even Kane says so.

Like it or not, Crawford proved himself this year. Time will tell if this move ends up being a bust, but with any contract, there is potential for it to go either way. We win 2 more cups in the next 6 years and have great goaltending along the way, everyone will be looking back on how this was a steal.
Playing well for 48 games and being great in the playoffs proves absolutely NOTHING for a goalie. Nobody's claiming Crawford didn't play well last year, rather that there is still substantial doubt whether he can do it in back to back seasons. For every goalie that does well in multiple seasons, there's 2-3 that had one great year/playoff run, got overpaid because of it, and were never good again.

You don't give out 6 year, 6 million dollar deals after ONE abbreviated season to a goalie. It can't be broken down any simpler than that.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
skillhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan86 View Post
RFA vs UFA

We could only offer Niemi a smallish contract at the time and Hammer was also a FA, the Sharks took advantage and gave Niemi enough to be more than we could offer because we could only afford one of them. Had Niemi been unrestricted he would have gotten more.
I could take that Rfa for 20y old but Niemi wasn't, it's not that simple, they also pay big money for RFA:s and they let Niemi walk. Yeah, they had cap problems but I don't see Crawford resume any better than Niemi's. Cap is a bit higher now but 6m is a lot for half a year resume.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:50 PM
HawksFan86

Quote:
I could take that Rfa for 20y old but Niemi wasn't, it's not that simple, they also pay big money for RFA:s and they let Niemi walk. Yeah, they had cap problems but I don't see Crawford resume any better than Niemi's. Cap is a bit higher now but 6m is a lot for half a year resume.
I agree I'm not a fan of the deal either but it's not really comparable to Niemi.

HawksFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
3 years playing(starting) to a half-season splitting duties is a place to start when comparing resumes.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Not a fan. Don't get why you wait and see what he does this year and if he truly is worth it. If he had a great year again this year then I might not be as upset, but to pay 6 million to a guy whose last 2 years where terrible and very good isn't worth it.

Worried now that Hammer is gone and to me he is more important to this teams success and future then either Bickell or Craw.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Not a fan. Don't get why you wait and see what he does this year and if he truly is worth it. If he had a great year again this year then I might not be as upset, but to pay 6 million to a guy whose last 2 years where terrible and very good isn't worth it.

Worried now that Hammer is gone and to me he is more important to this teams success and future then either Bickell or Craw.
This post is right on the mark. Why not wait... at least half a season.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Hawksfan2828

6 per is way too much...

I suppose the cap will go up next season but...

It's nice to see the kid get paid tho... He's been with the Hawks since the beginning of our currant "core." He has paid his dues.... I don't think he's worth 6 tho. Maybe 4.5 or 5...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:06 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
6 per is way too much...

I suppose the cap will go up next season but...

It's nice to see the kid get paid tho... He's been with the Hawks since the beginning of our currant "core." He has paid his dues.... I don't think he's worth 6 tho. Maybe 4.5 or 5...
What's it going to go up? Crawford's increase may eat up all of that.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
moose vasko

An Andy Dufresne contract....full of hope...hope the cap goes way up, hope CC can become consistent, hope the issues with the glove can be addressed, hope he really is an elite goalie.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:

Agreed...

Let him attempt to win another cup and then pay him 6 per...

As a UFA 6 is a high number for a guy like Crawford.... Maybe this is just an "appreciation gesture" via Rocky...

Old
09-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Yeah, it's supposed to go up significantly next season.

Contracts like this force the cap to go up...

Old
09-02-2013, 06:14 PM
madgoat33

Quote:

lol last two years terrible? He was pretty good two years ago.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
That problem is a real possibility. Here's the chart of the cap history from wikipedia:

Because in the change in the player's share, I would think that the rate at which the cap could rise would be slowed.

On the upside, we don't have any big contract players to re-sign (except for Hammer)...and the RFAs (Shaw, Hayes, Morin) aren't going to get big contracts. I expect we will be filling the places of any the other players who will be UFAs with the kids!

If nothing else, Crawford's contract should dissuade anyone of the notion that Toews and Kane will be signing at a discount.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Don't like it. Would rather the money be spent on defense. They can make a guy like Emery and Crawford look like All-Stars.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:26 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

He's earned this extension. I have been one of his biggest critics and he gives up some maddeningly stupid goals from time to time but he was asked to put up or shut up and he did just that. Make no mistake, he was the hawks best player in the playoffs.

Hats off to CC!

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
That problem is a real possibility. Here's the chart of the cap history from wikipedia:

Because in the change in the player's share, I would think that the rate at which the cap could rise would be slowed.

On the upside, we don't have any big contract players to re-sign (except for Hammer)...and the RFAs (Shaw, Hayes, Morin) aren't going to get big contracts. I expect we will be filling the places of any the other players who will be UFAs with the kids!

If nothing else, Crawford's contract should dissuade anyone of the notion that Toews and Kane will be signing at a discount.
The salary cap doesn't work anyways - that's why the cap keeps fluctuating...

IMO, it's making a lot of kids turn away from hockey if they're multisport athletes... You can make 30 million per playing ball while 10 playing hockey (only if you're a superstar).... Hell, a decent utility ball player makes 4-5...

Old
09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Yeah, it's supposed to go up significantly next season.

Contracts like this force the cap to go up...
Contracts have nothing to do with the cap going up, the cap is based on revenue and a 4 million jump which is what the difference is was common in increases before. Now, the players share is less. Crawford's increase will most likely eat up the entire cap increase, maybe more.

Old
09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIP View Post
He's earned this extension. I have been one of his biggest critics and he gives up some maddeningly stupid goals from time to time but he was asked to put up or shut up and he did just that. Make no mistake, he was the hawks best player in the playoffs.

Hats off to CC!
Yep...

That's why in a way I'm happy.... Cory deserved this.

He worked hard and it paid off.... He was #2 forever...

Old
09-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Contracts have nothing to do with the cap going up, the cap is based on revenue and a 4 million jump which is what the difference is was common in increases before. Now, the players share is less. Crawford's increase will most likely eat up the entire cap increase, maybe more.
There is no relation between player salaries and revenue...

The problem is that revenue is irreverent and the only thing that matters is payroll (if you're going to have a cap)...

In the end the salary cap does (or its end result) nothing more than attempt to regulate salaries.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Illinihockey

I'd be shocked if the cap wasn't at least 70 mil next after next season. The Hawks are at 55 mil without adding in Hammer extension and any of the RFA's. I do think that Hammer is most likely gone and they'll expect Leddy to move into a top 4 role.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 07:09 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
There is no relation between player salaries and revenue...

The problem is that revenue is irreverent and the only thing that matters is payroll (if you're going to have a cap)...

In the end the salary cap does (or its end result) nothing more than attempt to regulate salaries.
The cap is based on the revenue split, nothing more.

Old
09-02-2013, 07:17 PM
zac

Quote:

Seabrook better get traded before Hammer gets let go. Hammer is a much better defender, a better PKer, younger, faster and just a much better overall hockey player (I think Hammer could be much better offensively if he'd ever consistently look to do so more). I also think there are a lot of stupid GMs out there that think Seabrook is as good as his bogus reputation and that he's actually a true top pairing defensemen.

On that last point I think we will also fetch a better return for Seabrook based on both contract (he's signed) and perception alone. If we play our cards right we could become a better team (get a SAH defensemen who actually clears the crease and patrols the net) while keeping the better, younger, cheaper player.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 07:25 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I'd be shocked if the cap wasn't at least 70 mil next after next season. The Hawks are at 55 mil without adding in Hammer extension and any of the RFA's. I do think that Hammer is most likely gone and they'll expect Leddy to move into a top 4 role.
That would be an increase of $6m (which is bigger than the increases were happening when the players were getting 70% of the hrr). They're getting 50% now so for it to go up that much would require a huge increase in revenue.

I"m sure the outdoor games will help push up HRR...but I don't know if they will by enough to push the cap up to 70m.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote