HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crawford signs extension: 6 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2013, 08:44 PM
  #126
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,701
vCash: 400
I see alot of people mentioning Hjalamrsson and affording him

The team can (And I expect will) trade Oduya next summer to help cap situation (+ Clendening can step into bottom pairing role in 2014-15 season while Leddy should be fulltime top 4 by that time)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:25 PM
  #127
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I see alot of people mentioning Hjalamrsson and affording him

The team can (And I expect will) trade Oduya next summer to help cap situation (+ Clendening can step into bottom pairing role in 2014-15 season while Leddy should be fulltime top 4 by that time)
And if not Oduya, then certainly Roszival

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:34 PM
  #128
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,701
vCash: 400
Usually I am one to proclaim the Sky is falling and raging at this type of move but I don't see this as such a dire or outrageous move.

If Crawford was carried and played shaky for large chunks of playoffs ala Niemi 2010 then I would maybe be more outraged

But he was great all year and stepped up his game to an elite level in playoffs. Crawford has been nothing but hard work and class his entire time with Hawks organization and the franchise clearly is rewarding him with not only a massive contract but the vote of confidence that he is the guy in net and part of the core


Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 09-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:47 PM
  #129
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
.932 and 1.84. Say what you will but that's what got him paid. He stepped up on the biggest stage in the world and delivered. Now with this contract the Hawks are hoping to see that type of deliverance through his prime (28-34 for a goalie, sounds about right). I'm definitely nervous... but the Hawks brass seems to believe in Crow so we'll see how it turns out.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:35 PM
  #130
BronYrAur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Usually I am one to proclaim the Sky is falling and raging at this type of move but I don't see this as such a dire or outrageous move.

If Crawford was carried and played shaky for large chunks of playoffs ala Niemi 2010 then I would maybe be more outraged

But he was great all year and stepped up his game to an elite level in playoffs. Crawford has been nothing but hard work and class his entire time with Hawks organization and the franchise clearly is rewarding him with not only a massive contract but the vote of confidence that he is the guy in net and part of the core
The problem is that this means we won't re-sign Hammer who is our defenseman that plays the best defense. Should have re-signed Hammer now and waited to see if Crawford comes back to Earth a little bit. Why are we re-signing a guy when he has all the leverage? I mean, CC's value is as high as it ever will be right now....if he regresses (which he will) back toward being a more average NHL goalie then this will look like one of Stan's worst moves.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:37 PM
  #131
BronYrAur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I see alot of people mentioning Hjalamrsson and affording him

The team can (And I expect will) trade Oduya next summer to help cap situation (+ Clendening can step into bottom pairing role in 2014-15 season while Leddy should be fulltime top 4 by that time)
Again, we can try to trade Oduya but it may be tough without taking some salary back and you will be worse off on defense because you are likely only getting a return of draft picks between Fro/Bolland return. Say what you will about Oduya but he played with Hammer for much of the season on our shutdown d pairing, a pair that contributed substantially to Crawford's good numbers.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:44 PM
  #132
Hawkman
Moderator
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Again, we can try to trade Oduya but it may be tough without taking some salary back and you will be worse off on defense because you are likely only getting a return of draft picks between Fro/Bolland return. Say what you will about Oduya but he played with Hammer for much of the season on our shutdown d pairing, a pair that contributed substantially to Crawford's good numbers.
Agreed.

__________________


___________________________________
The king is gone but he's not forgotten, This is the story of a Johnny Rotten.
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:59 PM
  #133
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,432
vCash: 50
Skimmed the thread, and there seems to be very few people who like this deal.

Let the record show that I am one of them. Mike ****ing Smith makes 5.6M. Does anyone really not think CC isn't worth 400K more than him. Get it out of your head that Stan was gonna go cheap on goalies for the next 10 years. It worked on a low cap, but this thing is about to explode! This guy should've won the Conn Smythe FFS! Happy the goalie situation looks to be solved long term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Seriously? We're questioning Stan's ability to manage the cap?
Yeah, what else is new? This board is pretty dense, we know that by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I trust him too, this is kind of surprising. I just thought Stan isn't a guy that pays his goalies that much. I think this contract may look good when he really plays like last season the next years too, but now playing average won't be good enough. Expectations go up with a contract like this.

Stan thinks Craw is worth this and I trust his judgement

****ing right Chicago
People have been saying that for years, when in reality, he just hasn't had the chance to pay a goalie. He finally does and he's got his guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Since when is keeping a Cup winning team and budding dynasty together a bad thing? Great signing. Don't reference Emery, think about the difference, jesus.
You praising Stan makes my day

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:42 AM
  #134
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
People have been saying that for years, when in reality, he just hasn't had the chance to pay a goalie. He finally does and he's got his guy.
well, I think there was something behind the Miller and Luongo rumors and he wanted to pay Brodeur.

Still think it's just surprising. I have nothing against it, even with the 6x6. As long as he plays ALL the 6 years like he did this past season I'm fine. He's paid like a Top10 Goalie that can win you games and steal some and as long as he can do this, this contract will be fine for sure.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:06 AM
  #135
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,807
vCash: 500
Im lukewarm on this deal- crow certainly earned an extension and a good one at that, but this combined with the Bickell signing has me just a little worried about our ability to re-sign Kane, Toews, and Hammer in the coming years.

And Khabibulin is here for two years, correct?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:11 AM
  #136
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Im lukewarm on this deal- crow certainly earned an extension and a good one at that, but this combined with the Bickell signing has me just a little worried about our ability to re-sign Kane, Toews, and Hammer in the coming years.

And Khabibulin is here for two years, correct?
No, just 1 for Habby.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
  #137
hawksfan50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
As I said,if we win the Cup again this yr and CC obviously needs to play well for that to happen,then his price would have been in the $7.5 m per yr for 8 yrs stratosphere..this then could be a bargain..and we still will afford Hammer because the cap will rise again more than just the $5 to $5.5 million increment budgeted for their combined raises.. The nhl left pre-lockout as just a 3.3 billion business but now withpremium pricing on slected games and with the revenue hau from all the outdoor games on top of the fan response in attendance trends post lockout last season the revenue is going to top $ 4 billion. ..that means the cap will rise a lot more than fans on this board expected.. Turning to T and K re-ups to come...it will only take another $ 2.7 mil each to gdt them both signed as $9 million per yr cap hits each..and with almost everyone else signed for the core that will be no problema as the cap will be around $77-80 MILLION by then at least and the nhl close to a $ 5 billion business...after 2-3 more yrs this pheneominal growth will slow back toa slower growth rate as there will be a limmit reached..except that then the nhl will expand then which will fuel growth that way..Do not worry..Rocky and Stan have it all well figured out..the real question is. ..with so many $5 million and up players in the core and increasing. ..will fat cat syndrome take over and complacency de-rail the hunger to win?

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:54 AM
  #138
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I see alot of people mentioning Hjalamrsson and affording him

The team can (And I expect will) trade Oduya next summer to help cap situation (+ Clendening can step into bottom pairing role in 2014-15 season while Leddy should be fulltime top 4 by that time)
It's not just about having cap space for Hammer. It's about having cap space for Hammer, and then a year later having cap space to extend Toews and Kane - who may ask for 9-10 mil per.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
  #139
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Let's worry when the cap is announced and it isn't enough. Until then, I assume it will be 12-15M more than it is now when Toews and Kane come up.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
  #140
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
It's not just about having cap space for Hammer. It's about having cap space for Hammer, and then a year later having cap space to extend Toews and Kane - who may ask for 9-10 mil per.
So you add 4M total on top of what they make. Add 1.5M to what Hammer makes. We just need an extra 5.5M, maybe 6M, to get those three guys done.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
  #141
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Im lukewarm on this deal- crow certainly earned an extension and a good one at that, but this combined with the Bickell signing has me just a little worried about our ability to re-sign Kane, Toews, and Hammer in the coming years.

And Khabibulin is here for two years, correct?
1 year.

We should be fine cap-wise, as long as it keeps going up. Other than Toews/Kane, the only "expensive" player we will have to re-sign anytime soon is Hammer (who obviously won't be getting a contract like Toews or Kane). I also don't think any of the players that will become RFAs over the next couple of years will get a large second contracts.

One concern I have is whether the fact they have just signed Crawford to this much (and we haven't heard anything about negotiations with Hammer) means they aren't planning on re-signing Hammer (which, imo, would be a mistake).

Capgeek shows us as currently having abotu $8.5m in space for next year (assuming the cap is the same as this year...and I think the cap will go up)...so looking that the players who will need to be signed I think we should be okay.

Does anyone know - are we allowed to buy out two more people next summer...or was it two buyouts *in total* that we were allowed?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:03 AM
  #142
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
1 year.

We should be fine cap-wise, as long as it keeps going up. Other than Toews/Kane, the only "expensive" player we will have to re-sign anytime soon is Hammer (who obviously won't be getting a contract like Toews or Kane). I also don't think any of the players that will become RFAs over the next couple of years will get a large second contracts.

One concern I have is whether the fact they have just signed Crawford to this much (and we haven't heard anything about negotiations with Hammer) means they aren't planning on re-signing Hammer (which, imo, would be a mistake).

Capgeek shows us as currently having abotu $8.5m in space for next year (assuming the cap is the same as this year...and I think the cap will go up)...so looking that the players who will need to be signed I think we should be okay.

Does anyone know - are we allowed to buy out two more people next summer...or was it two buyouts *in total* that we were allowed?
We've used our buyouts. No more left

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:04 AM
  #143
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Two total, that's it, hopefully Oduya doesn't pitch a fit if we need him to waive that NTC.

If he does and we need space, a buyout shouldn't be that bad.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:15 AM
  #144
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Oduya's NTC is a modified one, so it shouldn't be immovable. Roszival also has a modified NTC for 2014/15. We could move Kruger if we had to...but with a $1.325 contract, that wouldn't really do anything...it would be pointless.

Honestly, the Bickell contract annoys me more than Crawford's...but I guess I should just give him a chance before judging.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
  #145
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,223
vCash: 500
Sharp is the guy I think they'd move out if there was a cap crunch where it looked like they may lose Toews or Kane. He'd be 32 with 3 years left on his deal at $5.9 per. His real salary de-escalates to 5.5 and 5 in the final 2 years. If TT looks like the real deal, he could slot into that winger position, that or Saad could fill that role.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
  #146
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Sharp is the guy I think they'd move out if there was a cap crunch where it looked like they may lose Toews or Kane. He'd be 32 with 3 years left on his deal at $5.9 per. His real salary de-escalates to 5.5 and 5 in the final 2 years. If TT looks like the real deal, he could slot into that winger position, that or Saad could fill that role.
I wouldn't be opposed to moving Sharp if necessary...especially if, like you say, Teuvo looks good.

Sharp has a modified NTC so he's not immovable.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:23 AM
  #147
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
I'd rather not. Sharp and Hossa both profile as guys who could make a solid tranisition to the 3rd line once young guys supplant them.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:26 AM
  #148
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'd rather not. Sharp and Hossa both profile as guys who could make a solid tranisition to the 3rd line once young guys supplant them.
Well yes, I'd rather not but you may have to if Kane and Toews want to cash in. You don't lose one of them to keep Patrick Sharp.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  #149
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'd rather not. Sharp and Hossa both profile as guys who could make a solid tranisition to the 3rd line once young guys supplant them.
Even if that's true we might not want that much cap space taken up by guys on the third line.

Anyway, we don't have to worry about it right now and might never have to...I'm just saying that if we have to move Sharp to free up space I'd be okay with it if Teuvo looks good...and keep in mind Saad is also a LW.

I believe Kane and Toews will be getting *at least* 8.5m.


Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 09-03-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: 8.5, not 7.5
UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  #150
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

I believe Kane and Toews will be getting *at least* 7.5m.
Right, they'll be getting between 8.5 and 9.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.