HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy for GM (someday)?

Old
11-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Le Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy for GM (someday)?

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie.asp

An interesting column by James Duthie, who went on the road with Roy last month.

If Gainey ever decided to hang up the GM jacket, a more seasoned Roy could raise some eyebrows...

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Habsaholic

Roy is a LONG ways away from being a NHL GM

Habsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaholic View Post
Roy is a LONG ways away from being a NHL GM
Maybe not before a while, but Roy is certainly doing to right moves to contest for the position in lets say 5 years. He is right now administrating AND coaching a very succesful junior franchise, and has proven he could handle the job. He also have the NHL cred and the connection. And he has slowly making the necessary moves to make peace with the habs, something many people believed he wouldn't ever do. Oh, I wouldn't think about seeing Gainey leave the habs at least until the 100th anniversary (2008-2009?), but after that who knows.

One thing for sure... Roy doesn't look like a guy who would take a coaching position under someone else. For example, I don't see him succeeding Carbo under Gainey. If he comes back with the habs, I predict it's going to be as a GM, nothing less.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 04:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Roy GM...of the futur Quebec Nordiques?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 04:39 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I really think this is a plan that is already set in motion. He wants to live in Quebec and I am sure would love to re join the Canadiens. From recent interviews I have seen you can really tell all that crap with Mario and Ronald is water under the bridge. The big sign will be when Roy's #33 gets hung in the rafter's in Montreal in 2 years.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 05:15 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie.asp

An interesting column by James Duthie, who went on the road with Roy last month.

If Gainey ever decided to hang up the GM jacket, a more seasoned Roy could raise some eyebrows...
I wouldn't rule it out.

But I dont think gainey is going anywhere for a while... and by the time he leaves, whether its on his own terms or not, then you would have to wonder whether Roy would already have a job somewhere else in the NHL?

The other option is that Gainey stays on as VP (or whatever else he is) and hand the reigns of GM over to somebody like Roy. I dont see that happening either.

I'd much rather have Patrick start off as an assistant coach and go from there....

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I really think this is a plan that is already set in motion. He wants to live in Quebec and I am sure would love to re join the Canadiens. From recent interviews I have seen you can really tell all that crap with Mario and Ronald is water under the bridge. The big sign will be when Roy's #33 gets hung in the rafter's in Montreal in 2 years.
I agree

It does seem that cooler heads are prevailing.

I remember a time when patrick said that one of the reasons he didn't want to be part of the organization anymore was because the habs hired a rookie GM and a rookie coach.... Roy said he knew that wouldnt work in montreal.

And now, Roy says he actually cant believe he got traded in the first place.... he seems to be coming around.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 05:31 AM
vcx*

Patrick Roy likes to be hands on, he owns a team, is the gm, and the coach. That is too much to handle if he were to do that in the NHL. So it comes down to what he is good at.

Is Roy a better coach than he is a GM? Roy is an intense person, his team starts to lose and he'd berate the team in the media and just call out guys as he would feel as professionals they should be earning their ice time and playing hard. So i guess as a GM he would be better, but he would be less idiotic version of Bobby Clarke.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 06:21 AM
tinyzombies

Roy doesn't seem like GM material to me. Latendresse is proving that by himself. He's too impulsive. You can't be trading players because you have a temper tantrum. I'd be shocked if anyone hired him to run a team. I'd be shocked if he were hired as a head coach too, but he's probably earned that much because of his impressive run to the Memorial Cup. But he's the type of coach that would burn out quick at the NHL level I would assume. Then again, I don't know the guy.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Orange

I don't think Roy's got the poise and dicipline to be an NHL GM. Not every player turns into a good coach/management type.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:51 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't see it anytime soon for the simple reason that I see Gainey here for another 10 years.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Mike Lalor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I don't see it anytime soon for the simple reason that I see Gainey here for another 10 years.
i hope Gainey stays here for a long time too. I can see him becoming president one day and becoming synonymous with the Habs similarly to the way Lou Lamoriello is with the Devils.

As for Roy as a GM, i think it could work. He has the smarts and i dont think he is the type of person who can be bullied or duped into stupid trades. Plus, he'd have Gainey watching his back.

Mike Lalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Habs13

Carbonneau yes, Roy never! (I hope)

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 06:05 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Carbonneau yes, Roy never! (I hope)
I don't understand how Carbonneau has shown any better ability to be a GM than Roy has. Roy at least has some (albeit not much) experience managing a team.
I don't think either are an option should Gainey step down in the next 3 years, but I could see Roy with a front-office position later on. He's clearly not inept as a talent evaluator, but I think Roy would be better implemented as a coach.

11-15-2006, 02:18 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I don't understand how Carbonneau has shown any better ability to be a GM than Roy has. Roy at least has some (albeit not much) experience managing a team.
I don't think either are an option should Gainey step down in the next 3 years, but I could see Roy with a front-office position later on. He's clearly not inept as a talent evaluator, but I think Roy would be better implemented as a coach.
Didn't Gainey say at the press conference where they hired Carbonneau that Carbo would be tutored as a GM?

Roy might very well become a GM, who knows? And maybe even successful. I don't recall hearing his comments about players all that often (except Latendresse...).

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote