Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Ottawa 67's 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Johnsb

vCash: 500
Blandisi would be a support player? Come on, he would be tope 2 lines on just about any team in the O. OMG67 were you at camp?

Old
09-03-2013, 08:52 AM
vegas

2013-14 team

I would have to agree with the above statement, Blandisi is a top line player in this league, and he will be traded for sure at the deadline...probably have to trade a young defenseman as well in order to get better forwards...possibly....Vlajkov or Davis or both as a package..Also might even see Van Stralen be traded and Windsor.

We need better 17 year old forwards for next year. and the year after....I would guess the plan is to have this team become a eally contender in the 2015-16 season.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:44 AM
OMG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Blandisi would be a support player? Come on, he would be tope 2 lines on just about any team in the O. OMG67 were you at camp?
I like guys like Blandisi, Gus, and RVS. I like watching them play. But, they aren't strong enough to carry a team. They are great support players on a championship calibre team.

I never suggested he wouldn't be top two lines on most teams. I said he would be a support player on a championship calibre team AND was not the type of player that can carry a team (at least not a successful team).

When I think of successful teams in the OHL, I consider them as division winners or at least teams in contention for their division but are up against a monster team ahead of them. I am suggesting that if Ottawa were to be that team, Blandisi would not be your go-to guy on that team. He probably would be considered a support player.

If we look back to championship calibre teams in the 67's past, we see guys like Scott Sheppard, Justin Davis, Matt Zultek, and Corey Cowick. These are all good players that had great years statistically but none of them are go to guys on their own. They were players that supported the likes of Dan Tessier, Corey Locke, and Logan Couture.

Look back at what Blandisi did in Owen Sound last year. Owen Sound had a pretty decent year and he wasn't a significant player for that team. Sure, he got a lot more ice in Ottawa because the 67's were horrid and he made out pretty well. Keep in mind he only got that ice because on the poor depth chart in Ottawa. That being said, if you expect Blandisi to go out there and lead a team to a division win, you are sadly mistaken...

Old
09-03-2013, 10:48 AM
OMG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
I would have to agree with the above statement, Blandisi is a top line player in this league, and he will be traded for sure at the deadline...probably have to trade a young defenseman as well in order to get better forwards...possibly....Vlajkov or Davis or both as a package..Also might even see Van Stralen be traded and Windsor.

We need better 17 year old forwards for next year. and the year after....I would guess the plan is to have this team become a eally contender in the 2015-16 season.
This team is going to have a hard enough time as it is on defence. I don't think they can afford to go trading away 18 year old defencemen like Vlajkov for forward help...you can't ice a D-Corps of 17 year olds and expect the forwards to ever get a chance to play with the puck. They would be chasing it down in their own zone all game!

Old
09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Johnsb

No one said this is a championship calibre team. To compare a team that is in the middle of a re-build to a championship team is crazy.

It is what it is and that is a re-build.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:04 AM
cato0009

Just got back from the game in Kemptville tonight and thought I'd share my innitial first impressions with everyone. Overall I thought the game was pretty entertaining to watch. The final score was 4-1 Kingston unfortunatley, with Konecny cashing in on Ottawa's lone goal on a break away during the 2nd period i believe. The first period for both teams was fairlly sloppy, but thats to be expected this early in the season. For the most part Kingston dominated the
67s, except for maybe the final 10 mintutes of play. It wasnt hard to tell that Kingston isgoing to be a fun to team to watch this year. The likes of Mckeown, S.Watson and especially Bennett impressed the heck out of me. Its obviously early, but it wouldnt suprise me at all to see those 3 players go within the top 15 picks in this years draft. Matt Spencer really played well also.
Anyways, back to the 67s. Even tho the team didnt dress its full lineup(Blandisi, Fielding, Bell, Middelton and AAA all didnt play) and the fronts did, you can already tell it could be another long season for the 67s, the younger defencemen really struggled with the speed of the Fronts and often had a tough time connecting to the forwards with solid breakout passes. In the early going after Kingston took the the 2-0 lead it was really starting to feel like last year all over again lol Depending on whether or not Monahan returns this season, I could see this team struggling in the goal scoring department as well. Although I also could most def be wrong with that assumption. The offensive potential is there, I just dont know if theres really enough fire power to actually be able to out score the other teams, especially if the goaltending doesnt hold up.
Here's my brief breakdown on how a few of the players looked..

Konecny - Played very well for his first ever game in the OHL. Competed extremely hard every shift and even got some PK time where he ended up going down n 2 separete occasions to block shots, which of course got the entire bench fired up. Offensively he showed very well too. His excelleration is amazing and also posseses a wicked wrist shot which was evident when he scored on the breakaway, sniping one short side on the goalie Helvig before he could even react. Its going to take a little bit of time to adjust, but once he does, look out!

Salituro - Wasnt his best game, but certainly seems like he's gained a step or 2 over the off-season. I'm hoping for at least at point-per-game from him this year, and I think he's more than capable.

Hill - For a player who last year at this time was considered a potential top 3 rnd pick I was expecting a lot more. Seemed unable to keep up with the speed of the game and didnt show much of a physical game for a guy his size either. Although once again its early so we'll wait and see

Gustavsen - Looked confident out there and like Salituro, seemed like he's mproved his skating/speed slightly over the summer. I think maybe 40-50 pts from him this year if all goes well.

Dulong - I liked him last year,and this time around he seems like another guy who's improved on his skating over the summer. 4th line center this season, with ideal 3rd line center potential in the future. Played hard in this game.

Defence

Lintuniemi - Liked what I saw for his first game. Showed decent poise with the puck and made some excellent breakout passes. Also played physical which was nice to see. Looks like he drastically needs to improve on his footwork tho.

Slaboda - Just based on what id already heard about this player i wasnt really expecting that much, but after tonight i was actually more impressed with Slaboda's game than I was with Lintuniemi's. Like Lintuniemi, also needs to work on his skating but showed better puck skills and more offensive potential than his european counterpart. Will need more time to adjust.

Guy - Really liked what I saw from him tonight actually. Very smooth with the puck and showed some great poise on PP and on breakouts. Obviously size is the biggest issue with him which limits his overall potential, bt I'm glad to see he's still on the team and has improved so much.

Goalie

Windsor - Kingston apparently had 50 shots on goal and the fact that only 4 of them went in has to be considered somewhat of a good start. Although im saying that, Windsor looks exactly the same as last year as far as his rebound control and always seeming to be out of position. We shall see I guess.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts. Anybody else make it out to the game?

Old
09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
valleylad

I was there last night. Agree on alot of your points but what I would say about Gustavsen is he needs to stop taking needless penalties. He did that last year alot too. He is a veteran and with a young re-building team they cannot be in the penalty box all night. He needs to lead by example. They lack speed up front, especially on the wings and especially when you see a team like Kingston. That is their biggest asset. I believe goaltending will be an issue, not sure either one is more than a back-up. I believe the defense has the makings to be good. All the time spent in their end of the rink is as much to do about forwards not backchecking hard enough and not being strong on the wall as it is the D. Time will tell, first game, many regulars not playing, I say they will be improved from last year. Oh Yeah, Konechy is the real deal!

Old
09-04-2013, 08:09 PM
sirius67fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleylad View Post
I was there last night. Agree on alot of your points but what I would say about Gustavsen is he needs to stop taking needless penalties. He did that last year alot too. He is a veteran and with a young re-building team they cannot be in the penalty box all night. He needs to lead by example. They lack speed up front, especially on the wings and especially when you see a team like Kingston. That is their biggest asset. I believe goaltending will be an issue, not sure either one is more than a back-up. I believe the defense has the makings to be good. All the time spent in their end of the rink is as much to do about forwards not backchecking hard enough and not being strong on the wall as it is the D. Time will tell, first game, many regulars not playing, I say they will be improved from last year. Oh Yeah, Konechy is the real deal!
Agree on Gus. He needs to realize his role has changed. He can't be a pest/ agitator like when he came up. We need him on the ice and contribute to the offense. We need a 50 pt season from him. Anybody have info on the injury status of AAA. Hope he can start the season as he looks like he worked really hard in the offseason.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:47 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato0009 View Post
Just got back from the game in Kemptville tonight and thought I'd share my innitial first impressions with everyone. Overall I thought the game was pretty entertaining to watch. The final score was 4-1 Kingston unfortunatley, with Konecny cashing in on Ottawa's lone goal on a break away during the 2nd period i believe. The first period for both teams was fairlly sloppy, but thats to be expected this early in the season. For the most part Kingston dominated the
67s, except for maybe the final 10 mintutes of play. It wasnt hard to tell that Kingston isgoing to be a fun to team to watch this year. The likes of Mckeown, S.Watson and especially Bennett impressed the heck out of me. Its obviously early, but it wouldnt suprise me at all to see those 3 players go within the top 15 picks in this years draft. Matt Spencer really played well also.
Anyways, back to the 67s. Even tho the team didnt dress its full lineup(Blandisi, Fielding, Bell, Middelton and AAA all didnt play) and the fronts did, you can already tell it could be another long season for the 67s, the younger defencemen really struggled with the speed of the Fronts and often had a tough time connecting to the forwards with solid breakout passes. In the early going after Kingston took the the 2-0 lead it was really starting to feel like last year all over again lol Depending on whether or not Monahan returns this season, I could see this team struggling in the goal scoring department as well. Although I also could most def be wrong with that assumption. The offensive potential is there, I just dont know if theres really enough fire power to actually be able to out score the other teams, especially if the goaltending doesnt hold up.
Here's my brief breakdown on how a few of the players looked..

Konecny - Played very well for his first ever game in the OHL. Competed extremely hard every shift and even got some PK time where he ended up going down n 2 separete occasions to block shots, which of course got the entire bench fired up. Offensively he showed very well too. His excelleration is amazing and also posseses a wicked wrist shot which was evident when he scored on the breakaway, sniping one short side on the goalie Helvig before he could even react. Its going to take a little bit of time to adjust, but once he does, look out!

Salituro - Wasnt his best game, but certainly seems like he's gained a step or 2 over the off-season. I'm hoping for at least at point-per-game from him this year, and I think he's more than capable.

Hill - For a player who last year at this time was considered a potential top 3 rnd pick I was expecting a lot more. Seemed unable to keep up with the speed of the game and didnt show much of a physical game for a guy his size either. Although once again its early so we'll wait and see

Gustavsen - Looked confident out there and like Salituro, seemed like he's mproved his skating/speed slightly over the summer. I think maybe 40-50 pts from him this year if all goes well.

Dulong - I liked him last year,and this time around he seems like another guy who's improved on his skating over the summer. 4th line center this season, with ideal 3rd line center potential in the future. Played hard in this game.

Defence

Lintuniemi - Liked what I saw for his first game. Showed decent poise with the puck and made some excellent breakout passes. Also played physical which was nice to see. Looks like he drastically needs to improve on his footwork tho.

Slaboda - Just based on what id already heard about this player i wasnt really expecting that much, but after tonight i was actually more impressed with Slaboda's game than I was with Lintuniemi's. Like Lintuniemi, also needs to work on his skating but showed better puck skills and more offensive potential than his european counterpart. Will need more time to adjust.

Guy - Really liked what I saw from him tonight actually. Very smooth with the puck and showed some great poise on PP and on breakouts. Obviously size is the biggest issue with him which limits his overall potential, bt I'm glad to see he's still on the team and has improved so much.

Goalie

Windsor - Kingston apparently had 50 shots on goal and the fact that only 4 of them went in has to be considered somewhat of a good start. Although im saying that, Windsor looks exactly the same as last year as far as his rebound control and always seeming to be out of position. We shall see I guess.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts. Anybody else make it out to the game?
Great analysis. I agree completely on the goaltending. I don't see using the OA tag here, especially when we need an OA defenceman to bolster the young D. With 50 shots a game there's a greater need elsewhere PLUS unfortunately your analysis of Windsor is spot on. It's too late to change that.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Johnsb

With Burke now the top guy in Calgary the chance of Monahan being back with the 67's just got alot more likely. Burke always sends them back at Monahan's age.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:29 PM
vegas

Monahan

I would agree with the above post, Monahan will be sent down after his 9th game and he will go away to play with team Canada. I am glad that someone with experience in Calgary will hopefully do the right thing and send the young man back to junior, he won't be ready for the Nhl for at least 2 yrs.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:08 AM
cato0009

Quote:
With Burke now the top guy in Calgary the chance of Monahan being back with the 67's just got alot more likely. Burke always sends them back at Monahan's age.
I agree with this as well. Although at the same time I felt that Monahan was\is going to be sent back regardless. Burke being on board just helps this that much more. Calgary has deph at forward, not great deph obviously, but enough to justify sending a player like Monahan back to junior for one more year.

Old
09-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato0009 View Post
I agree with this as well. Although at the same time I felt that Monahan was\is going to be sent back regardless. Burke being on board just helps this that much more. Calgary has deph at forward, not great deph obviously, but enough to justify sending a player like Monahan back to junior for one more year.
Monahan and his play will decide where he ends up....no manager worrth his salt would have pre-determined already where he plays this upcoming season.

Old
09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
sirius67fan

Was at the game last night and nice to get a W. Blair was solid in goal calm + square to the shooters. Also was impressed by Sloboda who seemed poised and played a simple game. It was nice to see AAA back in line up. Was kind of coasting first half of the game but showed he can finish and certainly way stronger physically than last year. Now he needs to get involved on every shift and he could be a pleasant surprise this year. Also surprised but happy to see Conor Graham in the line up as
I thought he was cut last week. Anyway generally liked what I saw even though the piques were missing a lot of regulars.(in fairness ottawa too).

Old
09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
dodgeramgurl

I see Ottawa won again last night

Did anyone go to game? I hear Windsor was awesome, making high light reel saves. 1 goal on 5 on 3. Wish i could of made the game. Sounds like they are pulling together as a team. Any insight into this??

Old
09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
vegas

I must say it is starting to look like this team may be quite abit better then most people are predicting....my prediction is that we will be third in the east and sixth overall in the conference.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
sirius67fan

Quote:
I must say it is starting to look like this team may be quite abit better then most people are predicting....my prediction is that we will be third in the east and sixth overall in the conference.
I like your optimism vegas and hope you're right but even though I like a lot of what I've seen i would be surprised if we make the playoff. D is just too young. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:15 PM
OMG67

Quote:
That is actually kind of funny. Consider this. We didn't have Konecny and Blandisi in the lineup! Hell, even Monahan wasn't in there! Add an OA D-Man and we are set. I think adding those players could get us to 110 points and a potential Memorial Cup run .

On second thought, we were outshot 67-39 in the two games against Gatineau.....I may have overshot a little.

Old
09-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Johnsb

OMG67 again I will ask. Were you at any of the games to see them?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:26 AM
OMG67

Quote:
OMG67 again I will ask. Were you at any of the games to see them?
I was at the game in Gatineau.

People need to remember that exhibition games are hardly a decent indicator to predict the future success of any team. They happen when NHL camps are on so neither team typically has their front line players in the lineup. Also, it is a ridiculously small sample size.

The success of the 67's this year will completely hinge on whether they can put forth a more consistent effort than they were able to last year. Last year the team was lethargic on most nights and would go into full period lapses in effort that would blow games apart and give them no chance.

If the 67's can somehow muster a 60 minute effort each night, they will have a chance to make the playoffs. If the team puts out an effort like they did last year?...They will once again finish last. This team has a very large lack of talent and their back end is ridiculously young and inexperienced. Their wingers are mainly just pluggers sprinkled with a tiny bit of scoring potential.

Last year's team had much more talent than this year and it isn't even bloody close! To even suggest this team to finish in the playoffs without at least suggesting they need to improve in the effort category is absolutely ridiculous and it is the fan coming out.

With 16 of 20 teams making the playoffs, there are usually one or two teams that make it through the back door simply because the other four teams are that much more pathetic. If the 67's make the play the playoffs without a consistent effort it will be because there were a few other teams even worse...

Old
09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Johnsb

This team will be better than last year. 95's-94's are all a year older. We understand you don't think any of them are any good however i don't agree. I will agree with the D being young however I think you will see a OA D added.

Last edited by Johnsb: 09-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
09-10-2013, 03:11 PM
OMG67

Quote:
This team will be better than last year. 95's-94's are all a year older. We understand you don't think any of them are any good however i don't agree. I will agree with the D being young however I think you will see a OA D added.
The 67's had 16 wins and a .279 win% last year. I am not suggesting they won't be better than last year because, to be honest, a worse year this year would be catastrophic! They were 21 points behind the 9th place team, Peterborough.

However, let's put this into perspective. The 67's started the year with Ceci, Monahan, Graovac, Cajkovsky, and Cardwell...all were bonafide all-star players. The supporting cast was pretty young, not dissimilar to this year. Granted, those young guys, as you mentioned, are a year older and "should" be much more effective. That being said, the young guys last year that we have high hopes for are AAA, Salituro, Vlajkov, Duchesne, and Middleton. With the exception of Vlajkov, those players are just 17 years old and "typically" 17 year old players have not developed their skills enough to help carry a team. An argument can be made for the exceptional players like Monahan and couture at 17 years old but let's be honest, none of those players are of Couture/Monahan calibre. Therefore, the pressure lays in the hands of the veteran players like Blandisi, RVS, and Gustavsen. Although I do like each of those three players and really like watching them play, I am being realistic when I say that those three comprising our veteran core supported by mainly 16 and 17 year olds is nowhere near strong enough to be a team I am confident in any way of suggesting they are playoff bound.

Of course, we do have some older guys (18-19 years old) up front like Bell, Urbanic, Fielding, and Walsh but none of those four are more than half a point per game type players. We can't afford to be placing these guys high in the depth chart above the younger guys that need to ice time to develop so their impact (exception maybe Fielding) will be minimal at best.

Personally, I like our goaltending. I think Windsor is solid and Blair has the potential to be a top flight goalie in this league so when I talk about the back end, I am not particularly worried about the goaltending. The problem is the defence. We ahd a hard time keeping the puck out of the net last year with Ceci, cardwell, and Cajkovsky on the back end. WOW. this year is going to be horrendous! We are relying on two untested Imports, Vjajkov and a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds including Middleton. That is very thin. I do think they will bring in an OA to play D as well but it won't be an impact D-Man because Byrne will not pay that sort of price. It will be a player similar to Luciani or Broussard with a cost of a 3rd or 4th round pick. They will eat minutes and be strong defensively but won't really contribute a lot offensively.

I am really hoping Monahan is sent back so we can trade and get a return for him that can really help us. It will make a huge difference for us in the 2nd half if we can add a 2013 1st round pick player to our lineup, similar to adding Middleton last year.

I really like the look of the core of this team going forward with the likes of Konecny, AAA, Salituro, Middleton, Duchesne, Henly etc. I have loads of faith in them turning the team around but not this year. They are too young. Even though I have mentioned Blandisi, RVS, and Gus, there is a good possibility each of those players will be gone by the deadline as well. That is something many have not considered in their "predictions." This potential exodus of veteran players will leave it soely up to the younger guys like Salituro and Koneckny to carry the load in he 2nd half when we play loads of games on the road after a very HOME ICE friendly first half.

Make no mistake, this team will be very hard pressed to make the playoffs; however, getting more than 16 wins and potentially finishing above a .300 win% is possible, which, by definition, would be an improvement on last year.

Old
09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
gerard leublond

Quote:
Must say, as I have already attended exhibition games for 67s thus far, I find it ironic that age seems to play a factor when it comes to this team. The D core may be young however, exude with skill, talent and positional play! The D isn't the problem! The game against Kingston the final was 4-1, that D lineup was all rookies with an exception of 1 or 2 and Kingston had their regular seasoned players with 3 rookies! My point? Considering the "young" defensive core gave up 4 goals, what was Oshawa's reason for giving up the same amount to Kingston? I mean afterall they were far from last seed! The final for Oshawa and Kingston was 4-2 Kings! The Bulls excuse for giving up "7" to Kingston? I take it Ottawa is the only team in the league with young D, so giving up 4 to one of the best teams this season is a prelude for failure? The game against Kingston was one of the best final scores for preseason considering who played! I wouldn't jump to blaming the defense.

Old
09-10-2013, 03:33 PM
valleylad

As I've said before, this team has no speed up front on the wings and their centers are small. That has as much to do about not being able to get the puck out of their end as anything. It also makes a difference in the lack of offensive zone time. Look at the speed the Kingston forwards generate through the neutral zone, it would put many defense cores on their heels. I agree the D is young but that doesn't mean they are not skilled and smart. Remember this team got off to a terrible start last year with all those veterans playing half the game, maybe they were the reason, overrated! Give this group a chance to show they can gel into a team that is competitive.

Old
09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
OMG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard leublond View Post
Must say, as I have already attended exhibition games for 67s thus far, I find it ironic that age seems to play a factor when it comes to this team. The D core may be young however, exude with skill, talent and positional play! The D isn't the problem! The game against Kingston the final was 4-1, that D lineup was all rookies with an exception of 1 or 2 and Kingston had their regular seasoned players with 3 rookies! My point? Considering the "young" defensive core gave up 4 goals, what was Oshawa's reason for giving up the same amount to Kingston? I mean afterall they were far from last seed! The final for Oshawa and Kingston was 4-2 Kings! The Bulls excuse for giving up "7" to Kingston? I take it Ottawa is the only team in the league with young D, so giving up 4 to one of the best teams this season is a prelude for failure? The game against Kingston was one of the best final scores for preseason considering who played! I wouldn't jump to blaming the defense.
It is not about judging the outcome of one single game vs the outcome of a completely different game vs different opposition. That sort of logic is tremendously flawed. It is about making a prediction based on historical fact. The 67's could go out and beat London in the first week of the season but it doesn't mean the 67's are a better team. It just means they won a game. Last year the 67's finished dead last which would make them the worst team in the league but they still won 16 games. Based on your logic, as the worst team would win zero games and the best team would win 68 games.

I've experienced enough Junior hockey over the last few decades to not be fooled by exhibition results and even early season success or failure. It is very difficult for any team to do well with a very young roster, especially on defence. If I go back in time and review previous predictions, it is EXTREMELY rare the I am wrong when it comes to predicting the bad teams.

The same formula holds true for bad teams every year in Major Junior hockey. Young and inexperienced rosters with their highly skilled players being 16 and 17 years old and the veteran players are the up and down type players with stone hands and bad foot speed and lateral movement. This 67's team fits that bill to a T.

With bonus points awarded for OT and SO losses, a successful season has to be 68 points minimum. In actual fact, 68 points would not have made the playoffs last year in the Western Conference. We finished with 38 points last year. We will be very hard pressed to get to 54 points this year when you consider Byrne will be trading veteran players at the deadline and continuing the rebuilding process. And, that, my friends, will not get us into the playoffs...

Closed Thread