HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacT vs Tambellini

Old
08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Tambo got us Hall, RNH and Yakupov. Mac T hasn't even got us anyone close to that level in the 3 months he's been GM,
I know that you were being sarcastic, but on a more general basis, if I were GM, I also could have gotten us Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

For those defending Tambellini Is finishing dead last all that much of an achievement?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
To be honest as things stand right now there is very little difference between the two.

Right now we are just hoping Mac T's moves turn out well.

Neither has addressed size or grit.

Neither has (as of yet) improved the team in any significant way.
MacT obviously can't address the size and grit without giving up significant roster pieces. So he opted for improving the transition game by bringing in a few d-man who can skate and move the puck (Ferrence, Belov, Grebeshkov). It remains to be seen if his approach works.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I know that you were being sarcastic, but on a more general basis, if I were GM, I also could have gotten us Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

For those defending Tambellini Is finishing dead last all that much of an achievement?
Sure Tambi didnt achieve much yet but if this team is actually fighting for a playoff spot this year is that the result of anything MacT did this summer or is it the result of the years of dithering?

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Sure Tambi didnt achieve much yet but if this team is actually fighting for a playoff spot this year is that the result of anything MacT did this summer or is it the result of the years of dithering?
Years of dithering is doing nothing.

Years of incompetence have gotten the Oilers their top players.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Tambellini was a puppet who's sole position in the organization was the guy to bear the brunt of previous management's faults. The day he took the job they had a failing plan where he wasn't expected to really improve the team in any way for a number of years so they could accumulate high draft picks. I never like the guy, in fact I couldn't stand him by the end but it's impossible to compare 3 months of MacT versus Tambellini's wretched, albeit scripted tenure. And MacT hasn't really improved this team as much as he said he would either. Gordon is fairly plain, 3rd/4th line checker, Ference is a fringe top 4 D-man. Sure Perron is nice but we'll see what comes of him. Not a great finisher and a fairly poor hockey IQ similar to the guy he was traded for.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:05 PM
plikestechno

I don't think Tambellini was a puppet at all. I think he's the one that sold them on patience and a rebuild. The rest of the guys don't have to patience for that. MacT will just keep tinkering and tinkering, winning and losing trades and signings, until the team is better. Patience is not his strong suit.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:10 PM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Being better than Tambo isn't much of a compliment.
I got a good laugh at this. Thanks

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:12 PM
rosemount289

Why are we having................?

Why are we having this thread?............Tambellini was fired and MacT was hired to replace him.

Six months of MacT has been a lot more exciting and interesting than three years of sleeping under Tambellini.

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:17 PM
shogun99

Tambo is still analyzing his unemployment papers.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:12 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I haven't seen allot of Ference's play, but he is quite a bit better than Nick Schultz from what I've seen.

As asfar as the Tambo vs MacT thing, I think MacT is going to be a MUCH better GM than Tambo was. He's intelligent and is a true NHL insider with connections.

It might be hard to fairly compare the two though. As Tambo was the key to the rebuild, MacT is key to bringing this team to a different level.

Two very different styles of management.
Mac T sure didn't look like much of a "true NHL insider with connections" at the draft. He couldn't make any of the deals he was trying to make because the other GM's were only interested in fleecing him. If he was that well connected he could have gotten more accomplished than just trading down in draft picks. Let's not forget, he made it clear that he intended to make some deals that week end. He isn't any better connected than Tambellini was, in fact he may even be more isolated.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:55 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Mac T sure didn't look like much of a "true NHL insider with connections" at the draft. He couldn't make any of the deals he was trying to make because the other GM's were only interested in fleecing him. If he was that well connected he could have gotten more accomplished than just trading down in draft picks. Let's not forget, he made it clear that he intended to make some deals that week end. He isn't any better connected than Tambellini was, in fact he may even be more isolated.
I don't think MacT had a whole lot to work with. He didn't exactly have a lot of trade-able assets outside of the ones most here wouldn't want him to deal away (the core group of youngsters).

He maybe could have moved prospects like Klefbom/Marincin but the return likely still wouldn't have been huge for those and those prospects really are players that could develop into potentially solid top 4 dmen for the Oilers yet so I understand why he didn't move them... you don't want to give up the future.

Where he could have (and should have imo) been more aggressive is with the compulsory buyouts. Players like Hemsky/NSchultz/Smyth could have been dumped instead of Belanger with his tiny contract. That would open up a lot more cap space and he could have been more aggressive in both the UFA market and even in trades if he had more cap room to play with. Right now they've somewhat painted themselves into a corner and have very little cap room... so if MacT wants to trade a player like Hemsky... he likely has to retain salary and the market is very limited for a player like Hemsky to start with.

I cut MacT some slack in not being able to make all the trades he wanted... I think the will was there but he was obviously a little naive in thinking other experienced GM's would step up and help him make all the trades to fit all the puzzle pieces (gritty, physical 2-way bottom 6 players) into the roster like he obviously wanted.

I'm sure he struck out on several UFA players he was targeting (in addition to Clarkson obviously). It's not a matter of just stepping up and the players come running... Edmonton still is a market that's not very appealing to a lot of players given that they have other choices in warmer and less hockey-crazed regions (which is what many pro players apparently like).

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 09-03-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I don't think MacT had a whole lot to work with. He didn't exactly have a lot of trade-able assets outside of the ones most here wouldn't want him to deal away (the core group of youngsters)
The problem is that MacT was so out of touch that he thought he had a lot to work with. He talked tough and promised aggressive, impatient moves. He clearly misread the situation and oversold himself when he got the job. It was almost like he thought Tambi was useless and said, "Now, watch this!"

Opening gong show press conference was like in Animal house Bluto, supported by the injured Otter, rouses them with an impassioned, historically inaccurate speech ("Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!").

We need MacT to be the man so bad. Otherwise we it gets ugly.

And we name Katz's red head kid in charge and it basically becomes a Chris Farley movie.

We need progress this. year.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tambellini sat around and did jack **** during the regular season. MacTavish's big test will be how he reacts if the team struggles mightily out of the gate. Will he pull a Tambo and twiddle his thumbs or will he be reactive and shake up the roster?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

seems to me like thats the coaches job. look at ottawa.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Tambellini was a puppet who's sole position in the organization was the guy to bear the brunt of previous management's faults. The day he took the job they had a failing plan where he wasn't expected to really improve the team in any way for a number of years so they could accumulate high draft picks.
You are rewriting the script. Tambellini was hired to improve the team. They were near the playoffs in his first first season. Cole for O<Sullivan deadline deal. Kotalik for a second.

Signed Khabibulin. Signed Quinn. Chased Heatley all Summer. Then after he put his mark on the team, they failed spectacularly and finished 30th.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Can anyone remind me what trades Tambellini apparently wouldn't pull the trigger on? I remember Souray to Philly for Hartnell, and I can't remember the one I just recently heard. It had me shaking my head though, it would have been very fortuitous for this team. Anyone recall? I wish I could recall what it was.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Can anyone remind me what trades Tambellini apparently wouldn't pull the trigger on? I remember Souray to Philly for Hartnell, and I can't remember the one I just recently heard. It had me shaking my head though, it would have been very fortuitous for this team. Anyone recall? I wish I could recall what it was.
Ales Hemsky is still an Oiler. That, right there is the major blight on his resume.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ales Hemsky is still an Oiler. That, right there is the major blight on his resume.
Lol, ok Jimmi.

Werent you one of the major dissenters in the "Trade Hemsky Now" thread?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lol, ok Jimmi.

Werent you one of the major dissenters in the "Trade Hemsky Now" thread?
I don't know, Here's hoping? Maybe we can Run whichever kid you decide you don't like anymore, out of town this coming season. Fingers crossed.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Supposedly Hemsky for Forsberg. That apparently was the final straw.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Supposedly Hemsky for Forsberg. That apparently was the final straw.
After Erat was traded for Forsberg many people were wondering why Tambo couldn't have gotten Forsberg for Hemsky, but was that deal actually on the table? Hemsky was playing on a broken foot so for this to be legit Washington would have had to have known this and still wanted to trade for him. The last game he played was April 10th against Phoenix, trade deadline was April 3rd.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
After Erat was traded for Forsberg many people were wondering why Tambo couldn't have gotten Forsberg for Hemsky, but was that deal actually on the table? Hemsky was playing on a broken foot so for this to be legit Washington would have had to have known this and still wanted to trade for him. The last game he played was April 10th against Phoenix, trade deadline was April 3rd.
Yeah, that wasn't the only time. Rishaug has been on the record saying the Oilers were offered a young player(I believe roster player) and a high pick for Hemsky, and Tambo dithered.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah, that wasn't the only time. Rishaug has been on the record saying the Oilers were offered a young player(I believe roster player) and a high pick for Hemsky, and Tambo dithered.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was it. I can't remember if it was Forsberg or another player though. Either way, would be nice to have those assets instead of Tambo's indecision in our back pocket.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:31 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
If the Oilers make the playoffs this season, then MacT wins.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
If the Oilers make the playoffs this season, then MacT wins.
That is a fair measuring stick.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote