HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Most Popular Beer in Beer Leagues?

Old
09-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Most teams I've played on have been pretty exclusively Coors Light, the beer that hydrates.
+1....hahaha

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 09:04 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

of all the years that I played beer league, we only had one year where beer was brought in. It took one team to ruin it for everybody.

It was about 10-15 years ago that one team left their empties in the locker room and a bunch of kids had an early game the next morning. I'm not sure if it was on the benches, in the can, a combo, or exactly what happened. As you can probably tell, that didn't go over well with the parents, who eventually went to the arena manager. The arena manager threw a fit, threatening to boot the team from the league and even threatening the rest of us by saying they were gonna shut the league down for the year. IIRC, captains ended up meeting with the arena manager and they ended up agreeing on no beer for the rest of the year, which eventually became the standard rule. Everybody was pissed for awhile, but after a season it didn't seem like an issue. Most guys were usually trying to get out of the locker room as quick as possible since they had to work early the following day and our league was usually stuck with the 10:40 and 11:50 games.

They have changed managers since this happened, so maybe they brought the beer back into beer league. Being that I moved away a few years ago, I'd probably have to ask around.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:56 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
of all the years that I played beer league, we only had one year where beer was brought in. It took one team to ruin it for everybody.

It was about 10-15 years ago that one team left their empties in the locker room and a bunch of kids had an early game the next morning. I'm not sure if it was on the benches, in the can, a combo, or exactly what happened. As you can probably tell, that didn't go over well with the parents, who eventually went to the arena manager. The arena manager threw a fit, threatening to boot the team from the league and even threatening the rest of us by saying they were gonna shut the league down for the year. IIRC, captains ended up meeting with the arena manager and they ended up agreeing on no beer for the rest of the year, which eventually became the standard rule. Everybody was pissed for awhile, but after a season it didn't seem like an issue. Most guys were usually trying to get out of the locker room as quick as possible since they had to work early the following day and our league was usually stuck with the 10:40 and 11:50 games.

They have changed managers since this happened, so maybe they brought the beer back into beer league. Being that I moved away a few years ago, I'd probably have to ask around.

We always bring a cooler with us to stash the empties with us. No one ever gave us much of a problem, you would think it was expected no?

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:59 PM
ArcataShark
Self/EnTitled

Lots of home brew, or the local breweries that sponsor some of the teams. Oakshire, Ninkasi. Yeah just don't leave empties, recycle, no one usually minds.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:34 PM
do0glas

i stuck around for beer twice.

these games are so late, and if my wife isnt there im not gonna have a ride home.

i dont think we are allowed to bring beer in though, you get a pitcher from the "bar" (concession stand).

if they would make the games between 6-8 instead of 8-11, i might be able to get my wife to drive me around

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:02 AM
DJN21

my beer league just passed a new set of rules stating we cannot bring our own beer. We can buy 18's of labatts for like 21 bucks(LOL) and if we do so we must return all 18 empties to the bar. Failure to comply results in your captain(me sadly) getting a 4 minute major. Keep in mind every 20+ mins is a 1 game suspension...LAME.

Dipping has also been banned with a 10 min penalty if caught.

Gonna be a rough year aka I'll be tailgating the parking lot alot more lol

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:50 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
my beer league just passed a new set of rules stating we cannot bring our own beer. We can buy 18's of labatts for like 21 bucks(LOL) and if we do so we must return all 18 empties to the bar. Failure to comply results in your captain(me sadly) getting a 4 minute major. Keep in mind every 20+ mins is a 1 game suspension...LAME.

Dipping has also been banned with a 10 min penalty if caught.

Gonna be a rough year aka I'll be tailgating the parking lot alot more lol
...Do they come check your dressing rooms? How do they find out? Just be subtle getting it in, unless they have some guy checking bags at the door and routinely searching the dressing rooms after games.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:31 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
I bring some of my homebrew by when one of my friends asks me to fill in on his team.

Thankfully craft beer is pretty big here and we have options, and the rink manager is cool with bringing in beer as long as you don't leave half empty stuff everywhere for the kids to find at 6AM. When I played just after college the options were basically Coors Light and Labatt Blue.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote