HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2013, 11:51 AM
  #476
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Is he? Why? Hall is obviously the superior player, but why does that automatically make him the better choice for captain?
This is my question as well.

Other than Hall's superiority on the ice surface, and being a fan favorite player, what exactly qualifies him as our next captain?

Hey, I'm all for Hall being captain....if he deserves it. Ditto for Gags, Smid, hell, even Ryan Smyth.

As long as the next captain has the qualities to lead the team to the next level, I'm happy with the informed decision that whoever picks him will make.

The only place that there should be a discussion on this subject is the Oilers dressing room. And I'm guessing that none of the posters here are within that scene.

Dorian2 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
  #477
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
@StapeNewsday
#Isles will have their new captain in place by the start of camp, I'm told -- @91Tavares will be named early next week

Usual_Suspect is online now  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
  #478
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@StapeNewsday
#Isles will have their new captain in place by the start of camp, I'm told -- @91Tavares will be named early next week
Well that god for that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
  #479
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
What were the Isles other options?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  #480
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@StapeNewsday
#Isles will have their new captain in place by the start of camp, I'm told -- @91Tavares will be named early next week
He will also go by "Captain Obvious". Great dig Staples.

Seedling is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #481
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
On the one hand these people you're addressing are so fanatical about the Oilers that they waste huge chunks of their days reading and posting on an internet forum dedicated to the team.

On the other hand they think the team's second line centre is overrated and doesn't deserve to be made captain.

Your conclusion: they hate the team and hockey in general.

With deductive abilities like that it is small wonder that you come away from an Oilers' game thinking Sammy Snowpants is a great hockey player.
Yeah, thats it.
Clueless.
Absolutly pathetic

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  #482
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People here are obsessed with making the best player on the team captain.

The capitals have done squat with ovechkin as captain. Meanwhile the Kings have won 6 playoff rounds with Dustin Brown as captain in the last two years.

The players know each other better than anyone on this forum.

For all we know, Taylor Hall may have privately turned down the captaincy or suggested Gagner instead.

The venom in this thread is ridiculous and the people posting without any sort of valid point should be ashamed of themselves.

"Sam Tebow" my behind.
The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team but he has to be a high end player that is part of the core.

Dustin Brown is one of the best two-way players in the NHL, has played in an all-star game, and is a fixture on the US Olympic team.

Sam Gagner is the sixth best offensive forward on his team. He is one of the worst defensive forwards on his team. He has never been invited to an all-star game. He hasn't been invited to represent Canada at the World Championships since 2008 (where he was a healthy scratch). He isn't part of the Oilers' core.

worraps is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:46 PM
  #483
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,322
vCash: 500
My problem with the Gagner bashing is "Does anyone know what criteria that a player makes a good captain?"

Gainey over Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, AND Lapointe?

Those Habs were such idiots.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 12:57 PM
  #484
ghostnights
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 363
vCash: 250
All of the young players have talked about how Gagner has helped transition them into the NHL. I think he may have more of an impact in the dressing room than some of you haters will admit. I don't think he is the ideal candidate but I wouldn't be upset if he was named the next captain.

ghostnights is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:00 PM
  #485
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
My problem with the Gagner bashing is "Does anyone know what criteria that a player makes a good captain?"

Gainey over Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, AND Lapointe?

Those Habs were such idiots.
The NHL invented an award to recognize how great a player Bob Gainey was.

Sam Gagner isn't in the same universe.

worraps is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
  #486
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,806
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The NHL invented an award to recognize how great a player Bob Gainey was.

Sam Gagner isn't in the same universe.
How do you know Gagner wouldn't be a good captain?

You don't

The Nuge is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
  #487
0ilerman
The King
 
0ilerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Capital City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team but he has to be a high end player that is part of the core.

Dustin Brown is one of the best two-way players in the NHL, has played in an all-star game, and is a fixture on the US Olympic team.

Sam Gagner is the sixth best offensive forward on his team. He is one of the worst defensive forwards on his team. He has never been invited to an all-star game. He hasn't been invited to represent Canada at the World Championships since 2008 (where he was a healthy scratch). He isn't part of the Oilers' core.
Comparing the US and Canada olympic teams is nonsensical. There are going to be a ton of great players and leaders left off both teams. This has nothing to do with their suitability to captain an NHL team.

Sam has finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd in scoring over the last 4 years. Dont think that makes him the 6th best offensive forward.

When an organization signs a player for 3 years @ 4.8, strong indication they perceive the player as a core piece.

I'm not saying Sam should or shouldn't be the next captain of the Oilers. He does deserve a fair shake for the player he is and his past performance.

0ilerman is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
  #488
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How do you know Gagner wouldn't be a good captain?

You don't
Because he hates Sam Gagner....for some reason.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
  #489
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 50
I hope he doesn't become captain. Not because I don't think he's a good choice, but because I don't think I could stand to listen to this kind of complaining that will inevitably occur in every thread.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:16 PM
  #490
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,376
vCash: 500
I shudder to think what will happen to Western civilization and our way of life if Sam Gagner actually IS named captain, as this thread nears post #500.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
  #491
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I hope he doesn't become captain. Not because I don't think he's a good choice, but because I don't think I could stand to listen to this kind of complaining that will inevitably occur in every thread.
I've come to realize it doesn't matter what would happend at some point there will be complaints. Hall could take a stupid retaliation penalty and people will be calling for the head of the guy that named an immature kid the captain.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:26 PM
  #492
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I've come to realize it doesn't matter what would happend at some point there will be complaints. Hall could take a stupid retaliation penalty and people will be calling for the head of the guy that named an immature kid the captain.
Imagine naming Hall Captain, then him having a slow start. You could cue the meltdown.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  #493
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Comparing the US and Canada olympic teams is nonsensical. There are going to be a ton of great players and leaders left off both teams. This has nothing to do with their suitability to captain an NHL team.

Sam has finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd in scoring over the last 4 years. Dont think that makes him the 6th best offensive forward.

When an organization signs a player for 3 years @ 4.8, strong indication they perceive the player as a core piece.

I'm not saying Sam should or shouldn't be the next captain of the Oilers. He does deserve a fair shake for the player he is and his past performance.
Sam has finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd in scoring over the last 4 years.

That past performance was relative to one of the worst groups of forwards assembled in NHL history (2009-10); one of the worst groups of forwards assembled in NHL history plus two rookies who both outscored him (2010-11); one rookie and two sophomore players who all outscored him (2011-12); an injured Jordan Eberle, an injured RNH, a rookie, and Taylor Hall (2012).

Do you honestly think that, going forward, Sam Gagner is going to outscore one of: Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, or Nail Yakupov?

He has a chance of outscoring Perron, but I doubt that happens.

worraps is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  #494
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Because he hates Sam Gagner....for some reason.
I don't hate Sam Gagner, I just recognize him for what he is: a mediocre player that isn't part of this team's core.

worraps is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
  #495
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I don't hate Sam Gagner, I just recognize him for what he is: a mediocre player that isn't part of this team's core.
None of which is really relevant to whether or not he'd be a good captain.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
  #496
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Imagine naming Hall Captain, then him having a slow start. You could cue the meltdown.
With Eberle and the Nuge having >PPG starts

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
  #497
Gord
failed rebuild
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSnipEzZ93 View Post
Just my personal opinion, not that it matters but if I was Eakins I'd have; Captain: Andrew Ference, Assistant: Taylor Hall, Assistant: Ryan Smyth
I don't understand why anyone would pick a player as captain that hasn't even been on the ice or in the dressing room with the players. not even for one minute.
how can he be qualified to be the captain of the team? because he was a winner somewhere else?
please explain.

Gord is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  #498
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I haven't read much, if any, of this. I have read alot of over the top stupid rage related to the speculation though.

And right at the end you submarine anything you accomplished with the rest of the post.
As others have pointed out you only read what you wanted to hear and argue about Mr. over the top Gagner lover :-P. I am Joking btw.

The reason it is Ludicrous to have Gagner as captain is because Hall is very very very obviously the best leader/producer on the ice. This is painfully obvious to everyone I talk to about the Oilers, even those who are fans of other teams. We can only guess and speculate at the rest of the intangibles.

I think the best example of a team captain selection currently going on is the Islanders, with all their young talent and greater success only Tavares is truly even being considered by their fan base.

Aerchon is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 02:01 PM
  #499
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 177
If Hall isn't the captain, I would prefer to have Smid as the captain, with the A's going to Hall and Gagner.

Then both top lines have an assistant captain.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-03-2013, 02:21 PM
  #500
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
As others have pointed out you only read what you wanted to hear and argue about Mr. over the top Gagner lover :-P. I am Joking btw.
I'm not though. To equate the Gagner detractors to the people who are supporting him by suggesting the arguments they're crafting are on them same level is frankly just an out and out lie. It's a lie on it's face. The people who are supporting him are suggesting reasonable things, maybe of the post of detraction aren't of the same realm, it's Not close.

Quote:
The reason it is Ludicrous to have Gagner as captain is because Hall is very very very obviously the best leader/producer on the ice. This is painfully obvious to everyone I talk to about the Oilers, even those who are fans of other teams. We can only guess and speculate at the rest of the intangibles.
Yes Hall is a better player on the ice, but you Assume alot of the rest. So your own preconceived notions create this narrative, which may or may not actually exist. It's a flaw in your personal bias.

Quote:
I think the best example of a team captain selection currently going on is the Islanders, with all their young talent and greater success only Tavares is truly even being considered by their fan base.
Yes, because the Islanders had other options. If they give to Hammonic(who's really the only other option) does that make it terrible? Good for the Isles, has no baring on the Oilers.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.