HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center problem

Old
09-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Yeah, so much for the bold moves. I guess I can see Eakins being bold, but roster-wise not a single bold move. Every player we acquired in free agency is either average or below average, except for Ference, whose a 2nd pairing d-man. The Perron trade was a marginal upgrade, but by no means bold.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
If we want Lander to play big minutes in OKC we should sign a legit 4th line centre instead of plugging the hole with a scrub like Acton.
Is there really that much difference between a 4th line centre and a scrub?

I have no problem with his age, I would prefer Will Acton at 26, than Will Acton at 21.

I think the fourth line centre role is up for grabs. It could be Arcobello or Andrew Miller. What's the point in signing high profile US College players if they're never going to play in the NHL? I would like to give them an opportunity and whoever wins the 4th line centre role, good for them. If they sink, then you try with someone else.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
David Staples ‏@dstaples 1m
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins intact, back from surgery, back on practice ice #Relief #Oilers #ejlive http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-practice-ice/

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@Bob_Stauffer: Picked up the Sports Forecaster, the Hockey News Yearbook and Sportsnet Pool guide. None have Will Acton in mix as potential 4th line C...

@Bob_Stauffer: ..For the Oilers. IMO 4th line C comes down to Lander or Acton. Acton signed for 2 years. Might be better for Lander to play big mins in OKC
What the hell is all of this Will Acton talk? Dude is a career AHLer through and through. He's a frigging depth signing for the Barons and that's IT. Seriously, who the hell wants to play the 26-year-old coach's kid who has managed to put up a lousy 35 points in 141 AHL games (.25 PPG) as our starting 4th line NHL center? I don't care how much BS "sandpaper" or "grit" or "intangible" nonsense he brings. This guy is never going to be an Oiler. 4C is Lander's job to lose, and he'd have to show spectacularly poorly in camp to lose it. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is what it is. This is Lander's year to show us what he's got as an NHLer. We need to give him that chance.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
What the hell is all of this Will Acton talk? Dude is a career AHLer through and through. He's a frigging depth signing for the Barons and that's IT. Seriously, who the hell wants to play the 26-year-old coach's kid who has managed to put up a lousy 35 points in 141 AHL games (.25 PPG) as our starting 4th line NHL center? I don't care how much BS "sandpaper" or "grit" or "intangible" nonsense he brings. This guy is never going to be an Oiler. 4C is Lander's job to lose, and he'd have to show spectacularly poorly in camp to lose it. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is what it is. This is Lander's year to show us what he's got as an NHLer. We need to give him that chance.
Before we even hired Acton Stauffer was pumping the wheels. Eakins has dealt with him, so who knows.

It's not like they are giving Acton the job and it's not like there is a guy that is proven who is getting over looked.

Old
09-03-2013, 12:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
David Staples ‏@dstaples 1m
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins intact, back from surgery, back on practice ice #Relief #Oilers #ejlive http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-practice-ice/
Glad to see his recovery isn't delayed. I hope he takes all the time he needs to get into game shape before he steps on the ice for real.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
joestevens29

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 9s
RNH buzzing and ripping wristshots in skate with Oil guys. Shoulder surgery looks like it worked

Old
09-03-2013, 12:58 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Before we even hired Acton Stauffer was pumping the wheels. Eakins has dealt with him, so who knows.

It's not like they are giving Acton the job and it's not like there is a guy that is proven who is getting over looked.
I suspect Eakins and Papa Acton are about to discover for themselves that there's a big difference between the AHL and the NHL. Their bright boy might have seemed like a solid guy for them on the farm, but they're all in for a surprise if they think he's gonna be able to hold his own in the big leagues.

And speaking of unproven, I'm getting awfully sick of this organization's pathological obsession with rookies. No first overall picks on the roster this year so MacT had to feed the rookie addiction by hiring a big-talk AHL coach who's never won anything at any level? Oh, but he's a 'fitness freak" so, you know, I'm sure he'll do great.

Sigh. This club.

Oh well! Hope springs eternal! Maybe it'll all work out great!

Old
09-03-2013, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I suspect Eakins and Papa Acton are about to discover for themselves that there's a big difference between the AHL and the NHL. Their bright boy might have seemed like a solid guy for them on the farm, but they're all in for a surprise if they think he's gonna be able to hold his own in the big leagues.

And speaking of unproven, I'm getting awfully sick of this organization's pathological obsession with rookies. No first overall picks on the roster this year so MacT had to feed the rookie addiction by hiring a big-talk AHL coach who's never won anything at any level? Oh, but he's a 'fitness freak" so, you know, I'm sure he'll do great.

Sigh. This club.

Oh well! Hope springs eternal! Maybe it'll all work out great!
It's not like Lander has done anything to prove he is a whole lot better. I could careless who makes the 4th line center at this point as none of them would be my choice. I would've signed a proven guy and let the others force the team to let them play.

Now all I hope for is that one of this guys steps up and wins the job and does it well. Whether that is Lander, Acton, Miller or whoever it just doesn't matter.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
It's not like Lander has done anything to prove he is a whole lot better. I could careless who makes the 4th line center at this point as none of them would be my choice. I would've signed a proven guy and let the others force the team to let them play.

Now all I hope for is that one of this guys steps up and wins the job and does it well. Whether that is Lander, Acton, Miller or whoever it just doesn't matter.
Yeah, that's pretty close to how I feel, except my general apathy towards who ends up as 4C manifests as a desire to give the role to whoever has the most potential to help the club longterm. For me, that's Lander. At a certain point, if you want a prospect to develop into a useful NHLer, you've got to take off the AHL training wheels and let them loose on NHL ice. Give them the reps. See what they can do. Justin Schultz proved pretty definitively last year that it doesn't matter how amazingly you can perform at the AHL level -- at the end of the day, NHL hockey is a different thing entirely and the only way to get good at it is to do it as much as possible. You'll never become a good NHLer by playing in the AHL. This is Lander's last year of his ELC. It's "show me" time for this prospect, and I think it makes little sense for him to show us what he's got in the AHL. I want to see what's really there under the bright lights of the big show.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:

A guy like Maholtra on a PTO would be a perfect signing. It doesn't close the roster to the young guys and still allows for competition but it also gives the team an experienced option in case no young guy seizes the day.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:13 PM
topchowda

Great news RNH is already back skating, informal ones too.

Want his shoulder to be 101% before he comes back. Wouldnt even mind him missing the first 5 games and having Arcobello play. Short term pain, but better long term

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:14 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty close to how I feel, except my general apathy towards who ends up as 4C manifests as a desire to give the role to whoever has the most potential to help the club longterm. For me, that's Lander. At a certain point, if you want a prospect to develop into a useful NHLer, you've got to take off the AHL training wheels and let them loose on NHL ice. Give them the reps. See what they can do. Justin Schultz proved pretty definitively last year that it doesn't matter how amazingly you can perform at the AHL level -- at the end of the day, NHL hockey is a different thing entirely and the only way to get good at it is to do it as much as possible. You'll never become a good NHLer by playing in the AHL. This is Lander's last year of his ELC. It's "show me" time for this prospect, and I think it makes little sense for him to show us what he's got in the AHL. I want to see what's really there under the bright lights of the big show.
I kinda disagree as I don't see Lander ever being much more than a 3rd liner, which is good but I don't think you give him a spot because of this. Especially considering you can go out and sign proven 3rd liners everyday of the week.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
A guy like Maholtra on a PTO would be a perfect signing. It doesn't close the roster to the young guys and still allows for competition but it also gives the team an experienced option in case no young guy seizes the day.
I'm not a fan of Malohtra as I don't know how he is medically, but it doesn't hurt having him or whoever or a PTO.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 14s
RNH says he'll likely participate in #Oilers camp with a non-contact jersey for starters, says his repaired shoulder is feeling good

Old
09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Come on. The guy's eyeball exploded. He's half-blind out there. No coach is going to play him and no club would insure him in his current state. He should just retire.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Usual_Suspect

@EdmontonOilers
RNH says he'll likely participate in #Oilers camp with a non-contact jersey for starters, says his repaired shoulder is feeling good

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
I kinda disagree as I don't see Lander ever being much more than a 3rd liner, which is good but I don't think you give him a spot because of this. Especially considering you can go out and sign proven 3rd liners everyday of the week.
I honestly don't think that's true. 3C isn't as easy to fill as all that. Guys who can contribute offensively, shut down other teams' top lines, win important face-offs, PK effectively and move up into 2C in a pinch don't exactly grow on trees. If Lander can grow into that guy in 2 or 3 years by playing regular 4C minutes, it would be a real coup for Oilers' drafting and development. Personally, I think if he's given the opportunity, the odds of Lander becoming that guy are probably around 50/50. Conversely, I put the odds of Will Acton becoming that guy at around a million to one.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I honestly don't think that's true. 3C isn't as easy to fill as all that. Guys who can contribute offensively, shut down other teams' top lines, win important face-offs, PK effectively and move up into 2C in a pinch don't exactly grow on trees. If Lander can grow into that guy in 2 or 3 years by playing regular 4C minutes, it would be a real coup for Oilers' drafting and development. Personally, I think if he's given the opportunity, the odds of Lander becoming that guy are probably around 50/50. Conversely, I put the odds of Will Acton becoming that guy at around a million to one.

I just don't see Lander ever being much more than a 2o point guy.

I could careless what Acton can become as the 4th line center could be a revolving door year after year. It really shouldn't be that hard of a position to fill successfully every year. The guys are a dime a dozen.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:42 PM
joestevens29

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
"I have close to 100% range and very little pain. Everything is really positive so far." @RNH_93 on shoulder recovery

Old
09-03-2013, 01:47 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
I just don't see Lander ever being much more than a 2o point guy.

I could careless what Acton can become as the 4th line center could be a revolving door year after year. It really shouldn't be that hard of a position to fill successfully every year. The guys are a dime a dozen.
It shouldn't be that hard of a position to successfully fill every year yet here we are going into camp with our two options being a career AHLer and a part time NHLer who has been pretty disappointing in his career at the NHL level.

I think the Oilers really want to see Acton in the NHL this year and I think it has everything to do with his dad.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
It shouldn't be that hard of a position to successfully fill every year yet here we are going into camp with our two options being a career AHLer and a part time NHLer who has been pretty disappointing in his career at the NHL level.

I think the Oilers really want to see Acton in the NHL this year and I think it has everything to do with his dad.
Will was talked about long before they hired Keith, I highly doubt that's what the Oilers are going to do.

This isn't minor hockey.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Will was talked about long before they hired Keith, I highly doubt that's what the Oilers are going to do.

This isn't minor hockey.
This isn't minor hockey but it is still the Oilers. Nepotism is everywhere in this organization. There is a reason why Lowe still has a job despite failing over and over, why MacT, Howson and Moores were brought back, why Buchberger and Smith seem to survive every coaching purge, and why Smyth is still on the team. The people who run this organization are more concerned with keeping themselves and their friends employed than they are building a winning hockey team.

Why wouldn't they do Keith a favour and put Will on the team?

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Yea lots of people saying rnh looks good on ice

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Usual_Suspect

@TheChrisWescott
RNH on if he'll be able to play October 1st: "its wait and see" but he's feeling good. Says his shot is better than before #oilers

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:05 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
"I have close to 100% range and very little pain. Everything is really positive so far." @RNH_93 on shoulder recovery

He looks a little more toned now, which is good.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote