HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2013 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 01:13 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Gomes is the other surprise depth guy getting the boot. Then again, based on his unspectacular play as a reserve this pre-season, I am not that surprised he got cut.
Gomes was by far the worst player in the secondary in camp. He was beyond bad.

Old
09-01-2013, 06:45 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

OK, so in keeping Pat White, does that set up a QB trade? Bills have to be desperate for a warm body there?

Old
09-01-2013, 09:32 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
OK, so in keeping Pat White, does that set up a QB trade? Bills have to be desperate for a warm body there?
Possibly, or they want White to emulate Vick for Week One.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Cush
-inator

Practice Squad:

Defense:
Will Compton, LB
Dominique Hamilton, DE
Chase Minniefield, CB

Offense:
Xavier Nixon, T
Tevita Stevens, G/C
Nick Williams, WR
Lance Lewis, WR
Jawan Jamison, RB

Old
09-01-2013, 11:56 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Practice Squad:

Defense:
Will Compton, LB
Dominique Hamilton, DE
Chase Minniefield, CB

Offense:
Xavier Nixon, T
Tevita Stevens, G/C
Nick Williams, WR
Lance Lewis, WR
Jawan Jamison, RB
All home-grown talent, with a few of these guys actually having a chance to contribute down the road.

Old
09-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

@AndrewSiciliano 3:46 PM
Shanahan says @RGIII is starting Monday night vs Eagles

No surprise there. Hopefully he is effective.

Old
09-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Capitlols

My Prediction: 9-7
-They sneak in as the second wild card
-Defense finishes top 15
-Offense won't be as dynamic as last year

Old
09-02-2013, 11:18 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
I don't think so. Manuel appears to be on track to return week 1 as anticipated. If he goes down, though... Leinart got cut so it's Tuel and uh somebody.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
My Prediction: 9-7
-They sneak in as the second wild card
-Defense finishes top 15
-Offense won't be as dynamic as last year
We are the healthiest team in the NFCE by far, with the fewest question marks. The Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles all have gigantic holes on the offensive and defensive line. In addition, the Eagles and Cowboys are switching defensive schemes, and the Eagles have a new HC, OC, and DC.

We will play in the NFC Championship Game if we stay healthy.

Top concerns:

-Trent Williams cannot get injured... a line with Tom Compton and Tyler Polumbus as our bookends spells disaster.
-We need decent, not good, just decent safety play.
-Alfred Morris taking a step back -- can he handle another season of 300+ touches?

I also believe our defensive front 7 will be among the best in the League.

Also, just curious, what makes you think they won't be as effective? Morris and RGIII are a year older, the entire OL returns, Garcon is fully healthy, Helu and Davis return, we've added playmakers in Reed and Thompson, and we have legitimate depth at every position minus LT. I think the offense will be different, but very good.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsANDCaps View Post
We are the healthiest team in the NFCE by far, with the fewest question marks. The Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles all have gigantic holes on the offensive and defensive line. In addition, the Eagles and Cowboys are switching defensive schemes, and the Eagles have a new HC, OC, and DC.

Top concerns:

-Trent Williams cannot get injured... a line with Tom Compton and Tyler Polumbus as our bookends spells disaster.
-Alfred Morris taking a step back -- can he handle another season of 300+ touches?

Also, just curious, what makes you think they won't be as effective? Morris and RGIII are a year older, the entire OL returns, Garcon is fully healthy, Helu and Davis return, we've added playmakers in Reed and Thompson, and we have legitimate depth at every position minus LT. I think the offense will be different, but very good.
Boy are you set up for a major let down.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think Morris' game expands with more involvement in the passing game. Health as always will be a major factor, but I think the Skins are primed to be a very good team.

Old
09-03-2013, 03:07 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Boy are you set up for a major let down.
I'm completely ready for the possibility of a 7-9 stinker having been a lifelong Redskins fan, but this is the most complete and talented team we've had since 1991.

Which part of my analysis do you disagree with?

Old
09-03-2013, 03:31 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I'm completely ready for the possibility of a 7-9 stinker having been a lifelong Redskins fan, but this is the most complete and talented team we've had since 1991.

Which part of my analysis do you disagree with?
Didn't say I disagreed...I'm just saying...be prepared for the worst.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Capitlols

Quote:

Top concerns:

It comes down to RG3's health and it may take him a couple of weeks(or longer) to be his normal self. If they don't run as much of the read zone/pistol it will expose this Oline for what it is and Polumbus will get someone killed.

Outside of RG3, we lost our starting LE, backup DE, and Merriweather's health is up in the air. We're already thin at the Dline and the secondary, and another injury would make the defense a huge question mark again.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
O line depth is my top concern. They were pretty lucky with injuries there last year.

I think my general Redskins negative pre-the last year or so always has me bullish on predicting a season. Will be interesting to see what tweak the offense will be with RG3 as well as to see how teams try to adjust defending the zone read-esque elements.

09-03-2013, 05:36 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
It comes down to RG3's health and it may take him a couple of weeks(or longer) to be his normal self. If they don't run as much of the read zone/pistol it will expose this Oline for what it is and Polumbus will get someone killed.

Outside of RG3, we lost our starting LE, backup DE, and Merriweather's health is up in the air. We're already thin at the Dline and the secondary, and another injury would make the defense a huge question mark again.
Our schedule should allow Griffin to get into rhythm without too much difficulty . Our 1st 6 weeks, Philly, @ Green Bay, Detroit, @ Oakland, bye, @ Dallas. I'd be shocked if we don't get 3 wins there, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we got all 5. Of course knowing the Redskins, we could win 1 or 2.

What makes you think they won't run the pistol? The Shanaclan has said that will be a staple in our offense. This OL is good for what it is; a ZBS running team that establishes the run to set up play-action. The Air Raid or Power O we are not, and we don't need to be. Agree 100% on Pylon-bus, he is atrocious and we will need to have a RB or TE help him out on every pass play. If Trent goes down, cancel the season.

With regards to the DL, Jenkins has been a disappointment, with Golston, Baker, and Merling all looking better this preseason than Jenkins did at anyone point last season. It is only preseason, but Jenkins hasn't looked like anything more than a 7th rounder since his knee injury. Whose our back-up DE that we're missing, or did you mean Jackson? Cofield and Bowen looked dominant this preseason, and our LBers were consistently getting pressure in the backfield. Very interested to see how Haslett uses Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Jenkins. Also, I'm not counting on Merriweather staying healthy, which is why I said a key for us was to have just decent safety play rather than the abysmal effort last season.

I agree that the key is for us to stay healthy, but that can be said for every NFL team. Every NFL team is 1 or 2 key injuries away from not competing. I just think we are deeper and healthier than every team in the NFCE, and our schedule is fairly favorable.

Old
09-03-2013, 06:55 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I am anxious to see Baker at end. Kerrigan was talking him up as being a beast. Merriweather out, that is fine, I just hope Mike has planned for it all along and not been fooling himself.

I really liked how Reed shadowed and took out Wilson in our tragedy of a playoff game. Kept the game close, and I look for that same role for him vs Vick.

O/U GP for Griffin is 14.5. Merriweather has got to be closer to 1.5.

I fully expect Vick to go to deSean deep on their first drive if not the first play. I would. I hope we dont leave Rambo alone deep in cover 2 to start the game. Man and help over the top!

Old
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Our schedule should allow Griffin to get into rhythm without too much difficulty . Our 1st 6 weeks, Philly, @ Green Bay, Detroit, @ Oakland, bye, @ Dallas. I'd be shocked if we don't get 3 wins there, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we got all 5. Of course knowing the Redskins, we could win 1 or 2.

What makes you think they won't run the pistol? The Shanaclan has said that will be a staple in our offense. This OL is good for what it is; a ZBS running team that establishes the run to set up play-action. The Air Raid or Power O we are not, and we don't need to be. Agree 100% on Pylon-bus, he is atrocious and we will need to have a RB or TE help him out on every pass play. If Trent goes down, cancel the season.

With regards to the DL, Jenkins has been a disappointment, with Golston, Baker, and Merling all looking better this preseason than Jenkins did at anyone point last season. It is only preseason, but Jenkins hasn't looked like anything more than a 7th rounder since his knee injury. Whose our back-up DE that we're missing, or did you mean Jackson? Cofield and Bowen looked dominant this preseason, and our LBers were consistently getting pressure in the backfield. Very interested to see how Haslett uses Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Jenkins. Also, I'm not counting on Merriweather staying healthy, which is why I said a key for us was to have just decent safety play rather than the abysmal effort last season.

I agree that the key is for us to stay healthy, but that can be said for every NFL team. Every NFL team is 1 or 2 key injuries away from not competing. I just think we are deeper and healthier than every team in the NFCE, and our schedule is fairly favorable.
They should run the pistol, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't to keep RG3 out of harm's way. The pistol covers up the deficiencies of the Oline, they wouldn't be nearly as effective running the ball without it and, conversely, they wouldn't be able to setup the play-action as well.

Jenkins was the backup Dline I was talking about, Carriker the starter. Still not a fan of the Dline depth, though the starters(Cofield especially) is looking much better. I do expect the pass rush to be more effective with Orakpo back.

We're deeper, but when it comes to the defense and the Oline I'm not confident the inexperienced guys we have can step in if called upon. If Rambo keeps improving, particularly when it comes to tackling, I'll be a lot more confident .

The key is staying healthy, we were fortunate last year and hopefully it continues. As for the schedule, we have the toughest SOS in our division it's not that favorable.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

We do need to stay healthy but all teams do at QB and OL.

If I was the Philly DC I would have the end play the HB hard on the read option. Dare us to run Griffin and do exactly what Shanahan does not want to do. Expose RG3 early in the year when he may not need to.

For that reason, I do not expect to see much RO to start the year. Pistol, absolutely.

I expect to see a lot of sideline to sideline running of the philly D chasing our staple stretch run. Bring in Helu and keep them running sideline to sideline. Then go play action. We will throw lots of short stuff to keep RG3 clean, work Garcon for sure, and maybe go deep a time or 2 if the line holds up in pass pro. I think that is our offensive game plan.

What I want to see this year is rolling out the pocket. With our mobile OL I am surprised we do not run that. We prefer the boot but even RG3 running that naked boot is rare.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I'm interested to see what Davis can do if he stays healthy.

WTOP just told me Fletcher had his first surgery in his career this offseason. Science really ought to be studying him, he is some kind of mutant.

09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I thought it was hilarious when Fletch admitted he was concussed last year. Something to the effect of, duh i am a middle linebacker.

You could see it in his play

That spread tonight 7.5 seems high. No Bailey no Von... i was thinking more like 3.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Football is back and the puck drops in 25 days -- life is good fellas. Time for a Pumpkin Ale.

Edit: Haha, Lavar.

Last edited by AlexBrovechkin8: 09-05-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
NBC just did a top 30 countdown on their opening to the game with each NFL team having a team great say the number. For example, the Browns had Jim Brown, the Bills had Jim Kelly, guys like that. The Skins were 16 and of all the players NBC could of gotten the "great" Skin they got was ******* LaVar Arrington.

He still has the dreads too. Bet they smell good.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
NBC just did a top 30 countdown on their opening to the game with each NFL team having a team great say the number. For example, the Browns had Jim Brown, the Bills had Jim Kelly, guys like that. The Skins were 16 and of all the players NBC could of gotten the "great" Skin they got was ******* LaVar Arrington.

He still has the dreads too. Bet they smell good.
He works for the NFL now, so maybe that's a reason.

He also announced the David Amerson pick in a pretty awesome burgundy blazer at the draft.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:50 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Here we go folks. Year 4 of the Shanallenhan rebuild and what do we have? Defending NFC East Champs, potential generational talent at QB and a team with the most quality depth at just about every position since the 1991 season.

It's right to be optimistic about this season, but in the end its the Skins right? After 20+ years of supposed rebuilds, absurd FA binges and joke coaching hires its right to be cautious.

Still some questions to be sweated out. Griffins health, O-line effectiveness and the stability of the secondary are my top three.

But having said all that, what a great time its been to follow the Skins these last 3 years? We all have witnessed a proper rebuild threw the dumping of overpriced/overhyped vets, the acquisition of young/reasonably priced FAs and the drafting of quality players that fit specific needs.

Based on discussions on here it was a rough first 2 years of the rebuild, but it was worth it, IMO. Us fans now have a team with promise to cheer for. A team that, in this age of parity in the NFL, can very well compete for a SB. Crazy to consider just 4 years ago, but its true.

Monday can't come soon enough.

Closed Thread