HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Traverse City Tournament 2013

Old
09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I can't

My desk is way too out in the open, and I'm too low-level (step above intern, step below part-time employee) so I have to, at the very least, pretend like I'm working
Refer to temporary light sensitivity due to illness and then throw a blanket over yourself and the screen when watching. Wear sun glasses at other times while claiming to be in this condition.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Why the **** do people care about "our roster"? These games don't count. This isn't the World Junior Championships. We know what we're getting out of McIlrath and Miller. Having them on the roster would make the team "better" but that's not what this is about. They have nothing to prove at a tournament like this. It's a chance for new guys to bond and adapt to the pro lifestyle or get introduced to North American hockey or some of the lesser prospects to stand out. It's a chance for the scouts to get a look at some guys on tryout that they think might be deserving of a contract. Do you seriously think Sather and Clark and Gorton sit and put together this roster trying to build a "good" team?
I agree about JT Miller and Kreider for sure. A season is long enough as it is. It takes to prepare for a season, and a off-season is only as long as it is.

The Swedes needs to adopt to NA ice, and we can't expect them to contribute all year no matter what. They won't come in and play good hockey for 120 games no matter what. There start will be slow while they are adjusting etc.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Refer to temporary light sensitivity due to illness and then throw a blanket over yourself and the screen when watching. Wear sun glasses at other times while claiming to be in this condition.
I laughed.

Then considered it's plausibility.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Miller and McIlrath don't need to be there. They'll both be playing NHL/AHL hockey this year. TC doesn't do anything for them developmentally.

Nieves and Skjei would have been nice, but you can't get your hopes up on the NCAA kids coming. Did the Rangers even invite them? They're both at great programs, they're fine working out on campus.

Buchnevich's season is underway. His KHL team is going to give him permission to come play in a meaningless exhibition tournament?

TC is so ****ing overrated from a development standpoint. It's an evaluation tool. Nothing more.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:45 PM
cwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Interesting story on Ben Fanelli and a head injury that almost ended his career in 2011: http://www.therecord.com/sports-stor...y-from-hockey/

Jimmy Oligny put up some decent stats as an overager in the Q last season: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=122656

actually Oligny was not overage last year, he will play Overage in Rimouski this coming season
http://www.oceanic.qc.ca/article/transaction

Jimmy Oligny ‏@JimboMits7 24 Jul
Really excited to join the @oceanicrimouski organization! Can't wait for the camp to start! #Excited

cwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Miller and McIlrath don't need to be there. They'll both be playing NHL/AHL hockey this year. TC doesn't do anything for them developmentally.

Nieves and Skjei would have been nice, but you can't get your hopes up on the NCAA kids coming. Did the Rangers even invite them? They're both at great programs, they're fine working out on campus.

Buchnevich's season is underway. His KHL team is going to give him permission to come play in a meaningless exhibition tournament?

TC is so ****ing overrated from a development standpoint. It's an evaluation tool. Nothing more.
I know it was always monitored, but it only became this huge deal when MSG broadcasted it. Point is that people are projecting their own ignorance on players to the tournament itself. Most of us have only seen McIlrath a handful of times, so it's a big deal to see him in 4 games against other solid prospects. But for Gernander and Clark and Schoenfeld it's a blip on the radar compared to the entire training camp plus 82 game season plus practices. Like I said, if MSG broadcasted every moment of training camp plus every Wolfpack game nobody would be questioning McIlrath's absence on the Traverse City roster. It has absolutely nothing to do with development and everything to do with instant gratification on the part of the fan.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:34 PM
eco's bones

A group--Fasth, Kristo, Lindberg

B group--St. Croix, Yogan, Nicholls, Duclair, Jean, Allen, Noreau

C group--Spelling, Kantor, Dodero, R. Graves, Hughes, Donnay, Malcolm, Skapski

D group--Barnett, J. Graves, Leroux, Wilson, Fanelli, Oligny

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A group--Fasth, Kristo, Lindberg

B group--St. Croix, Yogan, Nicholls, Duclair, Jean, Allen, Noreau

C group--Spelling, Kantor, Dodero, R. Graves, Hughes, Donnay, Malcolm, Skapski

D group--Barnett, J. Graves, Leroux, Wilson, Fanelli, Oligny
i'd have spelling and malcolm in that B group

i'd have oligny in the C group and yogan in the GTFO group

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

I thought NCAA players weren't allowed to participate in events like this?

Excited to see how Fast, Lindberg, Kristo and St Criox do, offense should be good, our defense is lacking big time.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Joey Bones

Can't wait to actually see the tourney. Besides Kristo, Fast, & Lindberg, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how Spelling plays (especially since he demoted himself back to Denmark). I think he should have a good few games & I'm also very intrigued by Malcolm. I think he could shine in a few moments. As for the invites, Oligny sounds pretty solid so we should keep an eye on him, too.

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
I thought NCAA players weren't allowed to participate in events like this?

Excited to see how Fast, Lindberg, Kristo and St Criox do, offense should be good, our defense is lacking big time.
They're technically allowed, but it would involve their coaches letting them leave school (and practices) to go, as well as the player having to pay their own way for everything involved because of the NCAA rules and regulations.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:35 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Some big boys on the back end. Donnay (6'7"), Noreau (6'5"), and Graves (6'4").

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 09-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Danny Kristo skated with the Rangers players today. Lindberg and Fast skated with the Traverse City players after the Rangers skated.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videoce...=765&id=442857

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Some big boys on the back end. Donnay (6'7"), Norway (6'5"), and Graves (6'4").
The whole country!?!

*Noreau

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Some big boys on the back end. Donnay (6'7"), Norway (6'5"), and Graves (6'4").
Autocorrect, I hope.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
The whole country!?!

*Noreau
God damn auto correct.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 03:57 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
i'd have spelling and malcolm in that B group

i'd have oligny in the C group and yogan in the GTFO group

The B group are all signed with the exception of the one third rounder from this year's draft (Duclair) available to play in the tournament.

Spelling is not signed and played junior hockey more than less in Sweden last and is going back to Denmark which is like taking a step back.

I put Oligny in with the other unsigned undrafted players. It's not likely any of them will be signed to an NHL contract for this year at least not for the Rangers who are pretty close to the 50 player limit. They can sign minor league deals if they impress. Out of them all Wilson looks as good as any--size, mean, likes to fight--potential 4th line enforcer type.

Yogan is a good prospect by the way. He had a very respectable 1st pro season. Not likely to be a top line NHL player--he does have a decent chance of becoming a bottom 6 forward. His numbers for the AHL 19 points in 43 games in a first pro season are not bad. It's about the same kind of production we got out of Miller and Kreider and pro-rated it would be close to what Christian Thomas did as well.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Danny Kristo skated with the Rangers players today. Lindberg and Fast skated with the Traverse City players after the Rangers skated.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videoce...=765&id=442857
I like that one of the highlights they show is a lazy backcheck.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
cwede

guys, the NCAA players are NOT eligible, because the time with the team includes games against another team's pro players

look back at TC history and you won't see any examples of guys who played there, and then rejoined their NCAA team

here is a typical reference to that restriction:
http://www.playyourgame.com/ncaarules.html

"... Without forfeiting your eligibility, you are allowed to do the following: Try out for any professional team, without playing against outside competition, at your own expense."

that's why Dev Camp is ok (only play is intra-squad scrimmage) but TC is not

Last edited by cwede: 09-03-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fix typo
cwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They're technically allowed, but it would involve their coaches letting them leave school (and practices) to go, as well as the player having to pay their own way for everything involved because of the NCAA rules and regulations.
Ah gotcha, thanks for clarifying it.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
guys, the NCAA players are NOT eligible, because the time with the team includes games against another team's pro players

look back at TC history and you won't see any examples of guys who played there, and then rejoined their NCAA team

here is a typical reference to that restriction:
http://www.playyourgame.com/ncaarules.html

"... Without forfeiting your eligibility, you are allowed to do the following: Try out for any professional team, without playing against outside competition, at your own expense."

that's why Dev Camp is ok (only play is intra-squad scrimmage) but TC is not
What about the World Chamionships? Or the WJC for that matter, they play pros there.

NCAA rules are ridiculous anyway, I'm not sure why I'm expecting any logic from them.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:31 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I like that one of the highlights they show is a lazy backcheck.
Cerney's interviews are painful to listen to.

Cerney: So "So&So" this is your first camp how excited are you to play with NHLers and the new coaching staff, and uh, stuff, are you excited to come to camp, are ready for the camp, i know know you probably put a lot of work this summer.

So&So: yeah, this is my first camp so I'm excited to play with NHLers and the new coaching staff. I'm excited to come to camp, and I feel ready as I put a lot of work this summer. And stuff...

I'm so strung out for a hockey fix that I watched all the interviews.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

Cerney: So "So&So" this is your first camp how excited are you to play with NHLers and the new coaching staff, and uh, stuff, are you excited to come to camp, are ready for the camp, i know know you probably put a lot of work this summer.

So&So: yeah, this is my first camp so I'm excited to play with NHLers and the new coaching staff. I'm excited to come to camp, and I feel ready as I put a lot of work this summer. And stuff...

I'm spo strung out for a hockey fix that I watched all the interviews.
Cerny is an awful interviewer, his questions take five minutes to ask and then it turns out it was a yes/no question. He himself talks for like 70% of the interview.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post

I'm so strung out for a hockey fix that I watched all the interviews.
Or as my friends and I joke at school:

"ya know and a....for sure and ya know".

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:39 PM
HoosierDaddy

Half the guys (and gals) on this forum could do a better job, I'm sure of this. How does this guy keep his job? Not wishing him ill, good for him that he landed this gig. But man, You could grab any freshman journalism student that can formulate questions without even knowing hockey. Cerny is so nervous and unsure of himself.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote