HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

tough guys

Old
11-15-2006, 09:19 AM
laubelroc

vCash: 500
tough guys

does anyone wonder why a number of players have more penalties than our big tough guy downey . HES no heavyweight to small for role

laubelroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Quote:
Originally Posted by laubelroc View Post
does anyone wonder why a number of players have more penalties than our big tough guy downey . HES no heavyweight to small for role
Well he did just suffer a near career ending concussion from a dirty hit .

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:46 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Downey isn't a true heavyweight. Do you think that the team has suffered in any way by not having one ? Has there been one game that the team has lost a point, or been pushed around due to the lack of a player whose sole job is to fight ?

I think the presence of a guy like McGrattan would give us lots to gloat about on this board when he wins a fight, but I don't see how it really matters much anymore.

The next time a player is injured due to what we consider a cheap shot, we'll wring our hands about how if we had an enforcer it never would have happened,but I don't believe that to be true. If Laracque was in Mtl, do you think Greene wouldn't have stuck his leg out on Johnson.

On the contrary, Mtl's only offense on Satuarday came when Belak was on the ice. If there's a place for no talent guys in the league, I hope it's on our divisional rivals.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Nope. It's because A) He's missed quite a few games, B) He doesn't get a lot of ice time and C) He actually seems to be good at not taking stupid hooking/interference type minors whereas a lot of D's in the league take 3 or 4 of them a game.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I'm *glad* that Downey isn't a "heavyweight" (i.e. dinosaur). Downey is an energy guy. If he happens to tangle with a heavyweight, well, it's a win-win proposition for us, because as an underdog it shows guts to the rest of the team no matter whether he holds his own or gets pummelled. The pure pummellers (like McGrattan) are a dying breed and we won't be seeing them much longer.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees View Post
Well he did just suffer a near career ending concussion from a dirty hit .

That was not a dirty hit.Downey played long enough in this league for him to know to keep his head up at all time

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:55 AM
boomboom

Well Downey is not a heavy wieght enforcer, he can fight, play an energy type game, but thats it. Langdon was not a heavyweight either, but could fight (6" 205 lbs). That beeing said, I dont think that its a priority to have an enforcer, but we can afford one on the fourth line since other players can double shift. Plus, I dont want Komi, Sourray, Rivet... to get into many fights (once in a while is fine) because we need them healthy. So Im thinking Godard...

boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote