HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tye McGinn

Old
08-02-2013, 10:16 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I know that, I was more saying that he would go back to juniors for another year.
As much as some people don't want to admit it the chances of Laughton going back to juniors is very slim.

Homer said towards the end of the year that Laughton had nothing left to prove there in his opinion. Unless something catastrophic happens Laughton will be playing in the Flyers lineup somewhere next year.

I also don't think the Adam Hall re-signing has any effect on Laughton. IMO it was just another depth signing & another body to have available. Lavi was mostly using him at wing last year anyway so I don't think there's any guarantees that he'll be the 4C over Laughton.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
As much as some people don't want to admit it the chances of Laughton going back to juniors is very slim.

Homer said towards the end of the year that Laughton had nothing left to prove there in his opinion. Unless something catastrophic happens Laughton will be playing in the Flyers lineup somewhere next year.

I also don't think the Adam Hall re-signing has any effect on Laughton. IMO it was just another depth signing & another body to have available. Lavi was mostly using him at wing last year anyway so I don't think there's any guarantees that he'll be the 4C over Laughton.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for Laughton playing on this team if he is capable of carrying the load, I just didn't think it was going to be as a winger. I can't imagine having Laughton on the 4th line and McGinn/Akeson/Straka/whomever on the third line. I think the only place to put Laughton is on the wing on that third line. 4th line doesn't make sense because of the personnel that the Flyers have (Hall for 4C, one of the lesser young guys at 3W). To me it seems like it's going to be Laughton on the wing or Laughton back in juniors (barring some unforseen signing like Gagne). If Gagne is signed then I can see Gagne at 3W and Laughton at 4C, however that would likely mean Rosehill or Hall would be demoted, most likely Hall as the Flyers like to have a Rosehill-type guy on the roster.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:38 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Flyers disagree with you. I remember hearing earlier in the season when they were scratching him they only want to use him in a top 9 role. They do not want him playing on the 4th line because he isn't that type of player. He has the skill and edge to his game where he is suited to park his rear end in front of the net and chip in offense, not just bring energy.

He is wasted in a bottom line role, hence why they kept making him a healthy scratch during the season when Gagne was brought in.
Then he's better off in the AHL cause he's not good enough to push out Laughton and some of the other competition for that spot IMO. Also since when is playing 4th line minutes for a young guy such a bad thing. Couturier played there and we all know he bring more then energy. Richards and Carter also played on the 4th line and they brought plenty to the table.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am all for Laughton playing on this team if he is capable of carrying the load, I just didn't think it was going to be as a winger. I can't imagine having Laughton on the 4th line and McGinn/Akeson/Straka/whomever on the third line. I think the only place to put Laughton is on the wing on that third line. 4th line doesn't make sense because of the personnel that the Flyers have (Hall for 4C, one of the lesser young guys at 3W). To me it seems like it's going to be Laughton on the wing or Laughton back in juniors (barring some unforseen signing like Gagne). If Gagne is signed then I can see Gagne at 3W and Laughton at 4C, however that would likely mean Rosehill or Hall would be demoted, most likely Hall as the Flyers like to have a Rosehill-type guy on the roster.
Whether Laughton makes the team has a huge bearing on whether they sign Gagne or not.

Talbot-Couts-Read is the 3rd line
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall is the 4th line and you don't need Gagne, esp. with guys like McGinn, Raffl, Akeson, available as call ups.

If Laughton gets sent back to Jr., and I still think this is a possibility, his offensive game will only improve with another year in Jr, WJC, captain of the Gens, etc. A lot will depend on how good he looks at camp.

I don't want to see Hall demoted either, he is a good big vet player who showed he can still skate.

We'll have to wait and see what other tricks Homer has up his sleeve. I am not sure he's really done for the summer yet.

In some ways, I'd rather see McGinn get a shot, send Laughton back, and don't sign Gagne unless Read or Talbot get dealt as part of a package with Meszaros to get another young D.

McGinn showed real promise, good hands, hits tons, smart. He will play this year.

Last edited by Larry44: 08-02-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:41 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

With Laughton, Gagne, Raffl, Straka, Akeson and even Noebels vying to make the roster this year, it'd be foolish to assume McGinn makes it, or is even a favorite to make it. McGinn has size on all of them, and is the only one to play the PWF role which helps his cause, but all of those other players bring things to the table that McGinn can't do as well like; better passing (Gagne, Akeson, Raffl, Laughton), better shooting (all of the above), better defense (Gagne, Noebels, Laughton), and better skating (all of the above)

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 11:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Whether Laughton makes the team has a huge bearing on whether they sign Gagne or not.

Talbot-Couts-Read is the 3rd line
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall is the 4th line and you don't need Gagne, esp. with guys like McGinn, Raffl, Akeson, available as call ups.

If Laughton gets sent back to Jr., and I still think this is a possibility, his offensive game will only improve with another year in Jr, WJC, captain of the Gens, etc. A lot will depend on how good he looks at camp.

I don't want to see Hall demoted either, he is a good big vet player who showed he can still skate.

We'll have to wait and see what other tricks Homer has up his sleeve. I am not sure he's really done for the summer yet.

In some ways, I'd rather see McGinn get a shot, send Laughton back, and don't sign Gagne unless Read or Talbot get dealt as part of a package with Meszaros to get another young D.

McGinn showed real promise, good hands, hits tons, smart. He will play this year.
That fourth line seems counter-intuitive to me. Hall's best value is as a center and Talbot's best value is on the fourth line (unless I am missing something). It would seem like this move may be ok in a sense that Laughton may excel as the 4C, but the rest of the team could be better off either with Laughton on the wing or Laughton going back to juniors and letting someone else win that 3W spot.

The team shouldn't make their decision based on the benefit to a single player rather than the team as a whole. In other words:

Laughton/young guy-Cooter-Read
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot

may be better for the team but not Laughton, while

Talbot-Cooter-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall

may be better for Laughton but not the team.

Now I could be way off-base on that, but that is the way it looks to me. If it's me I go with the lineup that is better for the team.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I said it at the time, still say it now: the Flyers see Laughton as an NHL player. Laughton going back to juniors was a victim of circumstance. If it was a full season, he would have stayed.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:18 PM
flyersfan28

mcginn deserve a spot on 3line

mcginn-couturier-read
rosehill-hall/laughton-rinaldo

is a solid 3 and 4line

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post

mcginn-couturier-read

is a solid 3 and 4line
You forgot Talbot.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:30 PM
The Couturier Effect

He has to earn it in camp first.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

mcginn-couturier-read

is a solid 3 and 4line
Rosehill shouldn't be an everyday player, just some added muscle when we play the more physical teams in the league, having him & Rinaldo out there every game is severely handicapping our forth line. We would be burried in our own zone for good amount of the time so there would be zero offense as well. I would seriously feel bad for Laughton or Hall if it actually turned out to be that.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:48 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I think he's going to win the third line wing spot. Everyone is gushing over Laughton, but the Flyers have said they want to be bigger at forward, and McGinn brings that in spades. He's a big body that uses it on the cycle and will stand up to teammates.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

There are essentially 11 forward spots taken: Giroux, Hartnell, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Rinaldo, Read, Lecavalier, Laughton, Talbot.. So that leaves Adam Hall, Tye Mcginn, Jay Rosehill - all battling for the 12th spot. That's not including Gagne, who for some reason I'm sure they'll sign, or the guy nobody expects, like a Straka or Newbury, having a great camp and making the team.

It's gonna be tough for Mcginn to be a regular, but I like how he plays.

Calderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I think he's going to win the third line wing spot. Everyone is gushing over Laughton, but the Flyers have said they want to be bigger at forward, and McGinn brings that in spades. He's a big body that uses it on the cycle and will stand up to teammates.
yes he bring the size and the toughness to this team is very comparable to simmonds but simmonds is better

Old
09-03-2013, 08:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I really like McGinn but hopefully next year he's a little smarter when deciding when & who to fight. There was really no reason to go out of his weight class & fight Mike Brown last year. It cost him a broken orbital bone & a trip to Adirondack for the remaining duration of the year.

I'm alright with the Newbury & Stuart fights where he was sticking for himself & Voracek in those scraps but not the Brown where it seemed he was fighting just to fight.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
I really like McGinn but hopefully next year he's a little smarter when deciding when & who to fight. There was really no reason to go out of his weight class & fight Mike Brown last year. It cost him a broken orbital bone & a trip to Adirondack for the remaining duration of the year.

I'm alright with the Newbury & Stuart fights where he was sticking for himself & Voracek in those scraps but not the Brown where it seemed he was fighting just to fight.
he fight brown because brown ask to simmonds and rinaldo and both refuse. simmonds is normal but i think this is the job for rinaldo but he refuse brown this game

Old
09-03-2013, 08:39 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
There are essentially 11 forward spots taken: Giroux, Hartnell, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Rinaldo, Read, Lecavalier, Laughton, Talbot.. So that leaves Adam Hall, Tye Mcginn, Jay Rosehill - all battling for the 12th spot. That's not including Gagne, who for some reason I'm sure they'll sign, or the guy nobody expects, like a Straka or Newbury, having a great camp and making the team.

It's gonna be tough for Mcginn to be a regular, but I like how he plays.
I don't think Laughton is a lock. His talent is probably at NHL level, but if the brass sees fit, they can send him back to juniors for some more fine tuning.

Many are expecting Straka to make a case for himself to crack the NHL lineup. He's got the skill and shot, but the rest is yet to be seen.

Quote:

couldn't agree more. I believe my thought process during that fight was: "Oh boy, this doesn't seem like a good idea. Although if he knocks him out/down, the legend of Tye...welp, that was stupid. Fight when you need to kid."

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
he fight brown because brown ask to simmonds and rinaldo and both refuse. simmonds is normal but i think this is the job for rinaldo but he refuse brown this game
Mike Brown is only paid to fight, McGinn is not. He cost himself some NHL checks with that move & made us fill another hole in our lineup. I respect him for his courage to go against a guy he was seriously outmatched by but he was too courageous for his own good on that one.

You don't have to accept every invitation to fight especially when you're not paid to fight.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:07 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Mike Brown is only paid to fight, McGinn is not. He cost himself some NHL checks with that move & made us fill another hole in our lineup. I respect him for his courage to go against a guy he was seriously outmatched by but he was too courageous for his own good on that one.

You don't have to accept every invitation to fight especially when you're not paid to fight.
i agree but brown is 5.11 205lb and mcginn is 6.3 205lb

Old
09-03-2013, 09:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Brown's superior fighting skills make up for the height difference.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Rinaldo is 5'11" 169lb and BJ Crombeen is 6'2" 210lb.

Size doesn't matter.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Haanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I also think he's going to win that spot. He would do a great job creating space for Couturier and Read.

Haanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:32 AM
flyersfan28

i think in 2 years he become top 5 middleweight who score 20goal 45point.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:11 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I don't think Laughton is a lock. His talent is probably at NHL level, but if the brass sees fit, they can send him back to juniors for some more fine tuning.
The more I think about it, the more I kind of want Laughton to go back to juniors. The experience of making the WJC team and being a number one center might be better than him playing in a bottom six role on the Flyers.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:47 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Rinaldo is 5'11" 169lb and BJ Crombeen is 6'2" 210lb.

Size doesn't matter.
I remember that game...commentators and St.Louis were complaining about Rinaldo punching a guy while he's down and than Lecavalier does the same thing to Talbot later on in the game...Hypocrites.

Maybe Lecavalier will punch out St.Louis this year....lol

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote