HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2013, 09:58 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Someone tell me more about this guy. Am I happy we signed him?

Clearly, this is about the 8th year in a row I've failed at my goal to become knowledgeable about MLB.
It's a good deal 4 million for a 3rd or 4th starter is a bargain.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
jml87

Chase responds to Mac from Always Sunny

Seriously, how could you not love this guy?

Old
09-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
That's a good thing IMO. No need to put more wear and tear on his arm.
I understand this line of thinking, but he was cruising. Im not sure Ive seen a much better performance ever from him. He threw 87 pitches and 69 of them were from strikes . Watching a some make every batter look like they are pitchers at the plate is fun to watch.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

3B Maikel Franco and RHP Severino Gonzalez win the Paul Owens Award for the best player in the farm system. Franco had an outstanding year and Gonzalez came out of nowhere but moved up the ranks from extended spring training to A- to A+ and he finished with one start at AA. It wasn't a pretty year for the farm system but these two both had impressive seasons and it's going to be interesting to see how it goes for them next year.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
3B Maikel Franco and RHP Severino Gonzalez win the Paul Owens Award for the best player in the farm system. Franco had an outstanding year and Gonzalez came out of nowhere but moved up the ranks from extended spring training to A- to A+ and he finished with one start at AA. It wasn't a pretty year for the farm system but these two both had impressive seasons and it's going to be interesting to see how it goes for them next year.
I read that the organization had internal discussions of whether or not to bring up Franco. A few weeks ago Ruben didnt rule out him making the team out of spring training next year.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I read that the organization had internal discussions of whether or not to bring up Franco. A few weeks ago Ruben didnt rule out him making the team out of spring training next year.
I hope not frankly. There is still plenty for him to work on at AAA for half the season. He very likely plays with the Phillies next season at some point, but I'd like to not have a development process like Dominic Brown went through. Besides, it would be nice to get a little more viewing of Cody Asche

Old
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
No point in burning an option year and having to cut someone from the 40 man roster for some meaningless games.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I understand this line of thinking, but he was cruising. Im not sure Ive seen a much better performance ever from him. He threw 87 pitches and 69 of them were from strikes . Watching a some make every batter look like they are pitchers at the plate is fun to watch.
Ryne said in his interview that Hamels wasn't 100 percent coming out of the pen so he was playing it safe since they had some rested arms. In Hamels' interview he mentioned a sore back. All things considered it was the right move.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
No point in burning an option year and having to cut someone from the 40 man roster for some meaningless games.
If it were to get Michael Martinez off this team Im all for it . His spot on the 40 man roster is useless.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
The Couturier Effect

The Pirates snapped a 20 year streak of losing seasons.

So look on the bright side, at least we're not THAT bad...yet

Old
09-03-2013, 10:30 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
If it were to get Michael Martinez off this team Im all for it . His spot on the 40 man roster is useless.
Touche. He'll be off it again after the season. In the offseason, between the rule 5 protections and FA signings, 40 man spots are very valuable. Franco would essentially be filling one when he doesn't need to be protected yet.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Touche. He'll be off it again after the season. In the offseason, between the rule 5 protections and FA signings, 40 man spots are very valuable. Franco would essentially be filling one when he doesn't need to be protected yet.
Ill believe Martinez is out of this organization when I see it. He should have been gone after 2011, and somehow he he is here two seasons later.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Ill believe Martinez is out of this organization when I see it. He should have been gone after 2011, and somehow he he is here two seasons later.
Reminds you of a certain goalie with the same first name, doesn't it?

Old
09-04-2013, 09:10 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Never said out of the org. He'll be off the 40 man because there is no risk of someone picking him up.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
You don't like his potential?

Old
09-04-2013, 10:17 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
They should have called him up imo, his season is over and he's done now until winter ball. I got to think he sees games with the phils next season at some point, can't wait to see how he does in the majors, dude can flat out hit and has legit power.

Quote:
There's an open spot on the 40 man already, so no moves would need to be made (plus they moved OF Tyson Gillies to the 60 day DL). I wouldn't worry about the option year either but I guess rube felt differently. Too bad as he is a lot of fun to watch and these final games are painful to watch.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:21 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
There's an open spot on the 40 man already, so no moves would need to be made (plus they moved OF Tyson Gillies to the 60 day DL). I wouldn't worry about the option year either but I guess rube felt differently. Too bad as he is a lot of fun to watch and these final games are painful to watch.
It's not so much that there's not room now, I was more talking about for the offseason. Once he's on the 40 man, he's on it.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:48 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
It's not so much that there's not room now, I was more talking about for the offseason. Once he's on the 40 man, he's on it.
Yeah, if he were to be added this season, it means one more guy would be unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, too.

No reason to rush him, imo. Asche is here and holding down 3B quite well for now. And it's not like Franco has no rough edges; he could probably benefit from some time in AAA.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:27 AM
jml87

We can't bring Franco up! Hes not 28 years old yet! And we haven't gotten a chance to jerk him around enough yet! We must build his character and push him to his very breaking point before he can play with the Phillies!

Old
09-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
We can't bring Franco up! Hes not 28 years old yet! And we haven't gotten a chance to jerk him around enough yet! We must build his character and push him to his very breaking point before he can play with the Phillies!
I know we joke about this, I do too still, but they really don't do this anymore. But the Phils are super conservative about any prospects in their system.

But in the past Hamels was 24
Asche is 23
Brown was 23
Utley was 24

Old
09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I know we joke about this, I do too still, but they really don't do this anymore. But the Phils are super conservative about any prospects in their system.

But in the past Hamels was 24
Asche is 23
Brown was 23
Utley was 24
Pettibone was 22, and Franco will probably be up some time next year when he's still 21. Since they hired Joe Jordan they've been more aggressive with moving players up.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The offseason shouldn't be a problem either since they should lose at least a few spots if not several.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Yeah, if he were to be added this season, it means one more guy would be unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, too.

No reason to rush him, imo. Asche is here and holding down 3B quite well for now. And it's not like Franco has no rough edges; he could probably benefit from some time in AAA.
Franco got time at 1B at the end of the season, but I wouldn't hold him up because of a lesser prospect is blocking him. Even if he doesn't play any games, working out with the team would be better then sitting at home watching tv imo.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Pettibone was 22, and Franco will probably be up some time next year when he's still 21. Since they hired Joe Jordan they've been more aggressive with moving players up.
Agreed, they don't let the kids ride out all year if they are playing fine. Asche & Franco are prime examples. Neither played an entire year at each level (for the most part). As soon as they started showing promise, they were bumped up.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Franco got time at 1B at the end of the season, but I wouldn't hold him up because of a lesser prospect is blocking him. Even if he doesn't play any games, working out with the team would be better then sitting at home watching tv imo.
I don't think it would be wise to risk losing a prospect just so Franco could hang out in the locker room though. Also, who knows what path his development will take. Nobody would have thought Dom Brown would take so long to get established in the majors- he ended up needing all his option years. I don't see the benefit to burning one of Franco's if he's not ready to play every day in the majors.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Hiesenberg

Give the kid some time off, let him knock the crap out of the ball in the DR Winter League, come up with a fire to try to find a home on the roster in Spring. I don't think its likely, but stranger things have happened. Asche might be trade bait if they can't find a home for him.

Closed Thread