HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I have a VC winner in the family. Hard to impress me.

But I'll probably check it out. Usually don't like documentaries about war, though.
Major has two DCM, earned in two different wars. He's the only one to have achieved this, IIRC.

First one was because he single-handedly liberated a town occupied by nazis.

The second one, during the Korean war was because he, leading only 20 men, re-captured and held a crucial hill that a US division (10 000 men) could not hold against a couple divisions of chinese infantry.

Old
09-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Maybe you can consider the atmosphere and implications that go on during the movie as creepy, but I don't think it's anything you would ever qualify as scary.

Not much action, though.

And I'm the complete opposite. It's very rare to find a movie that doesn't resort to jump scares today. I hunt these movies down.
Watch: The Thing, and amityville horror orig, and the exorcist (you probably have)

great scary films that dont necesarily just try to SCARE you in one second

Old
09-01-2013, 11:31 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

just finished watching Now You See Me. "Meh......" is how i would rate it...

Old
09-02-2013, 07:29 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourobouros View Post
I Saw the Devil (one of the most violent film i ever saw - that scene inside the car... wow!) and Memories of Murder are two other great corean movies.
Can't believe this didn't get anyone's attention. Personally, I don't know if it's because I watched it only a couple of minutes after waking up, but I Saw The Devil grabbed me instantly by my nuts and molested me psychologically. So many memorable scenes in this revenge movie. I strongly recommend it to all you guys and girls.

My first ever Korean movie was actually Memories of Murder. I had no expectations, watched it up north with a couple of friends, and it pretty much opened up the way for Korean movies to me. These movies are great due to the psychological development of their protagonists and antagonists. Seriously, give these two movies a try. I rank them as high as Oldboy, though I haven't watched both Sympathy movies yet. There are other Korean movies that I can list for anyone interested.

Lastly, for sci-fi, Moon (2009) and Sunshine (2007) are two solid flicks that I recommend. Dark City is pretty good as well.

Old
09-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Can't believe this didn't get anyone's attention. Personally, I don't know if it's because I watched it only a couple of minutes after waking up, but I Saw The Devil grabbed me instantly by my nuts and molested me psychologically. So many memorable scenes in this revenge movie. I strongly recommend it to all you guys and girls.
Thanks for the laugh.

Just picturing this blurb front and center in the marketing campaign lol

Old
09-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I am up to S2E08 of Homeland now. **** is happening. Damn the people who got me hooked, I have work to do .

Old
09-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Andy

I admire you guys. For some reason, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get into TV shows. The only one I liked was Sherlock, but I've tried Homeland, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc etc....I just can't get into it.

Old
09-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Bloumeister
Tennis court jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Too much information!
2nd time lately that I quote a movie scene verbatim and no one catches it. Especially in movie threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Summer's going great, but I'm a huge fan of fall and I can't wait for hockey to begin!! I sincerely don't know how I got through the last lockout alive...
2 words:

BEER

LEAGUE

Mine's starting in 2 weeks. I'm psyched!

Old
09-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I am up to S2E08 of Homeland now. **** is happening. Damn the people who got me hooked, I have work to do .
Do what the rest of us did -- watch episode after episode in a non-stop crack-addict frenzy. Work, family and life will be there when you're done. And if they're not, start watching Game of Thrones.

Old
09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
2nd time lately that I quote a movie scene verbatim and no one catches it. Especially in movie threads

2 words:

BEER

LEAGUE
How much do you pay per game? Been searching for one that isn't too far away from home.

Old
09-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Bloumeister
Tennis court jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
How much do you pay per game? Been searching for one that isn't too far away from home.
What? You wanna get paid? You must be real good, CS

Can't get much closer to home than this. PM me, I'll try to give you a quick view of it all tonight or tomorrow.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Do what the rest of us did -- watch episode after episode in a non-stop crack-addict frenzy. Work, family and life will be there when you're done. And if they're not, start watching Game of Thrones.
Done S2 . Going to take a break and do some work.

Love the acting and the characters even though the lead character Carrie has me conflicted . She's a psychotic who has 3 speeds on the dial- demanding insubordinate put everyone in danger on a hunch mode- crying ****ed up mode - and obsessive stalker mode.

I won't include spoilers but this chick wouldn't have a job as a bank teller in her state of mind let alone work in the CIA .

After 24 episodes though I am definitely hooked. Season 2 ending was crazy but I can't help but think we are in for a S3 writing sag . It's getting Soap Opera-ish and a lot of the emotional cards have been played.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Done S2 . Going to take a break and do some work.

Love the acting and the characters even though the lead character Carrie has me conflicted . She's a psychotic who has 3 speeds on the dial- demanding insubordinate put everyone in danger on a hunch mode- crying ****ed up mode - and obsessive stalker mode.

I won't include spoilers but this chick wouldn't have a job as a bank teller in her state of mind let alone work in the CIA .

After 24 episodes though I am definitely hooked. Season 2 ending was crazy but I can't help but think we are in for a S3 writing sag . It's getting Soap Opera-ish and a lot of the emotional cards have been played.
I like the fact that Carrie has serious medical issues that when properly harnessed complement her skills as an agent. It's an atypical character because her condition is not played for laughs, as in Silver Linings Playbook, nor does it make her more attractive or likeable. Claire Danes is a hot actress who willingly makes herself appear as deranged as a bag-lady. Carrie's personal life is pathetic, yet she has a fantastic mind for situational analysis. "Conflicted" is the perfect word to describe her and it perfectly describes the audience's reaction to her.

My favourite character is Mandy Patinkin's Saul. He's such a great actor and his lines have been imbued with so much weight, sarcasm, resolve or sheer world-weariness that you can't help love the guy.

As to S3, yeah, I couldn't imagine how the series would raise the stakes after S1, yet they did. It's logical to expect a writing sag after the S2 finale (I mean - holy crap!!), but the people behind this show have a better handle on plot and pacing than anything I've ever seen, so I am keeping the faith. It's like they've distilled the best elements of 24, The Wire and West Wing. The show is an amazing trip!

Old
09-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Oh, and Alan Rickman is God
New movie with him coming out soon... CBGB. Looks like it will be pretty cool. Chronicles the club that had tons of punk bands that launched their careers there. It was also the breeding ground for the new wave movement that proceeded it. Blondie and the Ramones played there a fair bit. It also played home to The Police, Talking Heads, Patti Smyth, Iggy Pop.... tons of others. Some just stopping in for a show, others were there a fair bit. I think the movie will focus on regulars like Iggy, Blondie, Ramones, Patti Smyth...

Looks like it will be a pretty cool film. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cbgb/trailers/11181960/

Sting's daughter Mickey Sumner plays Patti Smyth and they've got some kid playing her dad (you can see The Police closing out the preview clip) - that must've been some kind of weird. Foo Fighters drummer plays Iggy Pop.

Rickman looks like he'll be great in this one.
Quote:
Since we're being honest... I don't care much for the Godfather series. Any of them.
I loved them. A lot of films I find overrated but I loved those movies. Esp part one.
Quote:
Hah. Oh boy. I'd tell you to take cover, but you know that already.

Loved godfather 1. Don't understand how people have to argue about which one is better between 1 and 2.

As for die hard... I can see how it helped revive the action movie scene at the time, but just as a film, I don't find it all that entertaining. I always see it as #1 on all time best action movies when T2 is a vastly superior film. Matrix too, imo, fwiw.

I tried watching kill bill vol. 1 again. Couldn't get through it, again. Just not my type of movie.

Not sure if I mentioned it in the last thread, but anyone else here love Old Boy?
-Agree on Godfather
-Die Hard was fantastic but the over the top dialogue is terrible. Other than that it's awesome. And it's not the number one action flick of all time when there's Raiders, Terminator, Aliens and tons of others out there.
- Loved Kill Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's not the first time I hear that The Untouchables is overrated and boring. I really wanna see it, but I'm always hesitant.
I liked it. Costner looks the part but I find his acting a little wooden in this one. Connery is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Also recommend an earlier Coen (first?) movie that's overlooked, Blood Simple (1984)
Blood Simple is among my favourite films that tons of people haven't seen. Just a great movie.
Quote:
Maybe you can consider the atmosphere and implications that go on during the movie as creepy, but I don't think it's anything you would ever qualify as scary.

Not much action, though.

And I'm the complete opposite. It's very rare to find a movie that doesn't resort to jump scares today. I hunt these movies down.
The Ring was great at using jump scares. The premise of the film is ridiculous but the execution was fantastic.

Creepy atmosphere? Halloween, The Omen, Shining, Alien... all great films. I only first saw the original Texas Chainsaw massacre a few years back and I was actually impressed. It's a lot more powerful than the stupid slasher film I thought it would be. One off the wall horror movie was the original Wicker Man. I liked it, but it's a weird one. Night of the Living Dead was cool as was 28 Days Later.

You want something that's kind of creepy but not necessarily scary? Try The Dead Zone or The Ninth Gate. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane was also extremely weird but good. Open Water and The Reef were good films from this perspective too.

My vote for most overrated Horror Movies: Suspira and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-02-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old
09-03-2013, 06:18 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Continue here

to start this one off, I'll throw some gas on the fire.

Does anybody else feel that die hard is incredibly overrated?

*runs away*
The last Die Hard was a piece of .... .I wanted a refund. The first 3 were good, the 4th one was ok...but jesus this last one.....what was that...

Old
09-03-2013, 06:50 PM
LastChancePrice

Ok well were talking a bit about series, but now i need a new one. here is a list of what i liked

-Breaking Bad ( best show ever )
-Game of Thrones (after the first season i tough it was ok, im now hooked and cant wait for season 4! )
-Homeland
-Boardwalk Empire
-Dexter ( yeah ...this season 8 kinda bad...hope it finish well... )
-Ray Donovan ( new series that is getting better n better..really like it )
-Fringe
-Lost
-Battlestar Galactica (2nd best show ever!)
-Chuck
-Californication ( the first 3 seasons.....after that it just getting boring )
-Heroes ( the first season )
- Prison Break ( the first season..after its meh ), tried Oz...didnt get into it at all.
-True Blood ( i think i missed the last 2 seasons...didnt get into it...or was a bit tired of this )

I will maybe give a second chance to American Horror Story, a BIG MAYBE for Walking Dead.

Do you guys have any other recommendation?

Old
09-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
Ok well were talking a bit about series, but now i need a new one. here is a list of what i liked

-Game of Thrones (after the first season i tough it was ok, im now hooked and cant wait for season 4! )
-Homeland
-Boardwalk Empire
-Fringe
-Lost
-Chuck
- Prison Break ( the first season..after its meh ), tried Oz...didnt get into it at all.
-True Blood ( i think i missed the last 2 seasons...didnt get into it...or was a bit tired of this )

I will maybe give a second chance to American Horror Story, a BIG MAYBE for Walking Dead.

House of Cards (Netflix Original)
Sons of Anarchy

Old
09-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post

-Homeland
-Boardwalk Empire
-Fringe
-Lost
-Chuck

The Wire. Takes a couple of episodes to get into it but it's awesome. Be ready for a LOT of swearing though.

Mad Men. Understated but very cool show.

I don't see it listed but I'm assuming you've watched the Sopranos?

I like the Walking Dead (two seasons in.)

Old
09-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Listening to Melnick in the car today he and Knuckles Nilan were doing scene re-enactments and character evaluations for the Breaking Bad series. If you weren't a Breaking Bad fanatic you were completely out of the loop and clueless for a good part of their segment today. Obviously I was in the clueless listener category but I listened on.

To be honest I watched an episode or 2 when it first came out and it didn't hook me. I might pick it up based on this thread because obviously it got better.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:15 PM
franck50

Blue Mountain State

Entourage

Friday night light (cheezy but entertaining)

Suits

Old
09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
For Walking Dead;

Season 1:
Spoil:
Blood, gore and more blood and gore.

Season 2:
Spoil:
Soap opera, character development.

Season 3:
Spoil:
Mix of both worlds in the centre of a silly storyline

Season 4:
Spoil:
Zombies look to be the main threat again. Thank God.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Films with creative takes on extraterrestrials (off the top of my head):

- District 9

- 2001 A Space Odyssey (yes, it counts even if you don't see them)

- E.T.

- Dark City

- Contact

- Signs

I'd consider the first three of these films great and the last three to be good to lesser degrees, but all have an original spin on how aliens and humans interact and/or what we want from each other (I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers for some). I'm sure I forgot some others, so feel free to add to my list.

I didn't count some great alien flics like Alien, Predator, Starship Troopers, etc, because they cast aliens as one-dimensional bad-guys.

Close encounters. For me, tops.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:09 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
For Walking Dead;

Season 1:
Spoil:
Blood, gore and more blood and gore.

Season 2:
Spoil:
Soap opera, character development.

Season 3:
Spoil:
Mix of both worlds in the centre of a silly storyline

Season 4:
Spoil:
Zombies look to be the main threat again. Thank God.
Read the comix, you lose nothing by spoiling with the show they are different in their own right.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:16 PM
groovejuice

I how someone else here is old enough and quirky enough to fondly remember the Thunderbirds! FAB!

Old
09-03-2013, 10:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

So should I get into Suits?

Closed Thread