HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Pretty much what everyone except Hervey and Rhodes were thinking. Even the people under some bizarre illusion that Reed's wretched game management last year was a result of Tillman living in Saskatchewan had him on a short leash.

So we get our doors blown off in the season opener and extend him right then and there. Absolutely one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen.
If I can read, or reed, between the lines here I think its clear what went on with that.
The org detected some restless natives and players that perhaps weren't entirely behind the head coach incumbent. I could even name names. It really is that clear. To quell this unrest a rookie GM makes the rookie mistake of saying to any potential mutineers; "look, this is who's captain of the ship, get bloody used to listening to him, and following his direction because nothing is changing."

Well indeed, nothing changed, and this ship is capsized, with more players now not on board and mutiny fullblown. This is a crisis point. We lose players if this continues. Players that won't bother being back if they have ANY other options.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Chooch

Love how Hervey brought up how we're a rebuilding team at the press conference today. That's probably what he's been telling Len Rhodes, i am not surprised he bought it.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Personally, I think the fact that the Esks don't have to worry about gate revenue as much as other clubs is a factor in the organization accepting a ******** product on the field. Other teams simply can't afford - literally - to just lay back and accept crap.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Love how Hervey brought up how we're a rebuilding team at the press conference today. That's probably what he's been telling Len Rhodes, i am not surprised he bought it.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

Old
09-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Hervey's completely lost it for me. This is his Kevin Lowe moment to be honest imo. The moment where a GM jumps the shark and everyone knows it.

Can't believe he calls out the offense when the defense has been worse. Calls out one O-lineman when the entire line has been rotten. Doesn't call out Kavis Reed.

His scrambling for words today was absolutely reminiscent of Lowe's interviews as GM a few years ago where he would stammer and stammer and spout off some nonsense that everyone knew was bunk.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Hervey's completely lost it for me. This is his Kevin Lowe moment to be honest imo. The moment where a GM jumps the shark and everyone knows it.

Can't believe he calls out the offense when the defense has been worse. Calls out one O-lineman when the entire line has been rotten. Doesn't call out Kavis Reed.

His scrambling for words today was absolutely reminiscent of Lowe's interviews as GM a few years ago where he would stammer and stammer and spout off some nonsense that everyone knew was bunk.
Agreed. I like Hervey but he looked absolutely foolish today and anyone who defends him is just being silly. This team has a multitude of problems and I'm not yet convinced that Hervey isn't one of them.

Unfortunately, a lot of people still see Hervey as the proud Eskimo player and thus ignore some of the terrible moves he has made so far.

09-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Agreed. I like Hervey but he looked absolutely foolish today and anyone who defends him is just being silly. This team has a multitude of problems and I'm not yet convinced that Hervey isn't one of them.

Unfortunately, a lot of people still see Hervey as the proud Eskimo player and thus ignore some of the terrible moves he has made so far.
Scarier thing is that it took Lowe probably 3 years as Oilers GM before this happened. This is Year 1 for Hervey...

Old
09-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Jason Clermont is not impressed.

Quote:
Jason Clermont ‏@JasonClermont 32m
Simeon Rottier should tell the Esks to mail his cheques to his house. He will be there rehabbing from being under the bus. #9Weeks #Vet
What's with the Oilers and the Eskimos over the past seven years? Do they get off on absolutely destroying their reputations and ******** on their glorious pasts?

Old
09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post

I was concerned with the Hervey hire from the outset and was very vocal here about that. Hervey had all kinds of support on this board. Not sure why.

Tying a wagon of hope to Hervey being a spirited player was the byproduct of downtrodden fans wanting to hope for something. Which I did last season. Kind of like blind faith and just hoping beyond hope. The fan in all of us that wants to believe.

To me having Reed as a headcoach who is unskilled disaster at the position, and a GM with zero experience at the position, along with the usual idiots like Rhodes was going to lead to an unmitigated disaster. I had to talk myself into even bothering to follow the club this year. Not since say 1970 did I have less faith in this club which is saying something.

You just can't have managerial incompetence/inexperience at every level in an org and have much good come out of it. This was not an unknown. It was a likelihood.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

What's with the Oilers and the Eskimos over the past seven years? Do they get off on absolutely destroying their reputations and ******** on their glorious pasts?
Just to be clear what investment would Jason Clermont have in this? I like the guy as a player but um, you were never an Eskimo, why concerned?

As to your latter question it isn't unheard of for successful companies or orgs to hit doldrums DUE TO having pronounced success for an extended period. The trouble with such orgs is that as the world changes they fail to adapt as well as upstarts and the world in effect passes them by. Mostly due to the dynamic where so many diehard blowhards figure they have tenure with the orgs to the end of time and can be captains of the ships that hit rocky bottom after rocky bottom. As long as the consumer still buys the product. Nepotism at its finest.

One of the curses of untold success is an org infested with blind avarice that believe, even years or decades after glory, that they still know best, and know better than anybody else. For the Oilers the indelible moment when idiocy was well on display was Fraser sitting in Cancun drinking Maitai's as the orgs chief scout and Sather picking Steve Kelly at the draft while all of Rexall was chanting Shane Doan. A decision that this org has suffered with ever since but moreso because they've been incompetent ever since. It was blind avarice then and I said so. The org had entirely lost their way and their acumen was less pronounced than any 6yr old kid with a hockey card that could pronounce "Shane Doan". It was beyond stupid, it was incomprehensible.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Matt Leinart? Anybody?

Old
09-03-2013, 10:48 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Matt Leinart? Anybody?
We could use a good backup. Eventually Reilly isnt going to be able to peel himself up off the turf at some point this season.

Old
09-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

New Avatar for everyone! just needs to resize!

Edit: I am an Eskimo fan, but not when they play Garbage. No trolling here except to myself.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Zap Brannigan

Quote:
I want the Eskimos to sign Matt Leinart
is this 2005?

never mind his injury issues

Old
09-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was concerned with the Hervey hire from the outset and was very vocal here about that. Hervey had all kinds of support on this board. Not sure why.
Let me stop you there.

You are usually very "concerned" and very "negative" about any number of team officials, or athletes, in any number of sports, when posting on these Boards.

For example, we could replace the name "Hervey" with the name "Ricky Ray" in the above quote, make a couple of small adjustments, and we would have:

Quote:
I was concerned with Ricky Ray as our starting quarterback from the outset and was very vocal here about that. Ray had all kinds of support on this board. Not sure why.
Now, isn't this something we've all heard before?

Well, since Ray left here, he has clearly demonstrated to you and his other detractors exactly why he had support from the majority of fans. He has built a Hall of Fame resume, won a championship, and put up outstanding statistics in every respect, as he throws one dart after another.

You have made hundreds, if not thousands of posts of following this template, so I fail to see why you continue tooting your own horn as if you are some sort of savant.

When you post this much crap, eventually you are going to be right some of the time ...

... but most of the time you are wrong, as in the case of Ray.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
is this 2005?

never mind his injury issues
No, but it's the CFL.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Let me stop you there.

You are usually very "concerned" and very "negative" about any number of team officials, or athletes, in any number of sports, when posting on these Boards.

For example, we could replace the name "Hervey" with the name "Ricky Ray" in the above quote, make a couple of small adjustments, and we would have:

Now, isn't this something we've all heard before?

Well, since Ray left here, he has clearly demonstrated to you and his other detractors exactly why he had support from the majority of fans. He has built a Hall of Fame resume, won a championship, and put up outstanding statistics in every respect, as he throws one dart after another.

You have made hundreds, if not thousands of posts of following this template, so I fail to see why you continue tooting your own horn as if you are some sort of savant.

When you post this much crap, eventually you are going to be right some of the time ...

... but most of the time you are wrong, as in the case of Ray.
Well, you chose to read whatever you wanted into that so knock yourself out. Ray has done well since leaving, not like he would've here. I wanted Ray gone. No surprise there. Does this mean I'm wrong on everything? Just wondering.

Finally, on the topic of the Oilers and Esks being negative hasn't exactly been hard to fathom has it? If the clubs were any different, my posting would be too.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:35 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
New Avatar for everyone! just needs to resize!

Edit: I am an Eskimo fan, but not when they play Garbage. No trolling here except to myself.
I read the new logo as FFS

Old
09-04-2013, 12:02 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Just to be clear what investment would Jason Clermont have in this? I like the guy as a player but um, you were never an Eskimo, why concerned?
He is a professional football player, I agree with him btw, doubt we have a chance at getting him as a FA ever with Hervey as GM. Sure there are many more that aren't going to twitter.

Hervey said today he has been too busy scouting for NFL cuts to watch the team closely. Has he picked anyone up yet?

Old
09-04-2013, 12:21 AM
camboy

Quote:

How about the Esks just mail his release papers to his house? Rottier has been absolute garbage this year...one of the highest paid players and supposed leaders of this football club just isn't bringing it. He got called out by the boss. Big deal. Hey Clermont...Simeon can man up or step out of the way. Choice is his.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:25 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
How about the Esks just mail his release papers to his house? Rottier has been absolute garbage this year...one of the highest paid players and supposed leaders of this football club just isn't bringing it. He got called out by the boss. Big deal. Hey Clermont...Simeon can man up or step out of the way. Choice is his.
Didn't we all say the same about Kabongo, he is doing alright in BC with a better system and coaching. Rottier is the scapegoat.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:34 AM
camboy

Kabongo still sucks. I live on the west coast and see the Lions often...he sucks....don't worry.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:01 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
You're reacting with your emotion, not with your head.

Wait until the offseason and you might have more coaching options to select from.

hire Paul Lapolice now, and you're stuck with him. If you're not convinced he's the best choice in the summer, then the esks might as well wait.

It's not going to make a difference either way to this season's standings.
Nonsense. You fire his incompetent ass now. Should have fired him weeks ago actually. Hervey should be gassed as well. Have one of the assistants be interim head coach. It cant get any worse than it already is, unless of course you keep that embarrassment called Kavis for any more games, then it could get even worse.

With the interim guy, you may find a diamond in the rough, something that works and someone the team responds to. If not, then you hire a new guy in the off-season. Its a no lose scenario. Kavis said there has to be consequences. So there should be consequences. His numerous questionable coaching decisions and poor/lack of understanding/gameplan late in games has cost this team wins. He HAS been the reason for this team losing games. Plural. You cant carry on one more second with someone like that.

Hervey should get the same treatment. Hard to figure someone could come in and be worse than Macaroni and Tillman but he has done it, and by a fair margin. One win. No wins at home. No return game. Again. Poor offensive line. Again. Not only that, but the one good thing about the team (defense) has looked atrocious, even worse than the offense. How does that happen? I wouldnt pay to see the garbage that is being served up in Commonwealth. Not sure why anyone does tbh. Staying away will mean that changes will be made in a hurry. Not doing so probably means more of the same. ie Oilers.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:32 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

Who cares what a retired player says. Rottier is suppose to be our best offensive lineman and he looks like a rookie. Fans were calling for something to happen and something finally did. I liked Gregor's take on this that it's not something that just came out of nowhere it's been building up and Rottier has continued to get worse, something had to be done.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Matt Leinart? Anybody?
For what it would cost I'd pass. Rather spend 400 of 500k fixing problems.

Closed Thread