HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Billybaroo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
How long would you expect Tampa to sign a 37 old player like St.Louis for. He had just finished his previous 6 year contract...

Lucid? Krecji?
Great point. Do your homework
Oh, btw, good job on not using "SS" OR "fanboys".

Old
09-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Ference would get my vote, Mature, has won, trains diligently, mentors, respected around the league, can lead on the ice with physical play and fighting if need be. What else would you want from a captain?

Yep, I'd want this guy leading my team considering what the other options are.
Couldn't agree more if he shows that he fits in well in camp he is the most suitable short term option, hall would be good dont get me wrong but he is just too young to really show the team what it's like to battle day in and day out. I can see Eakins liking Ference alot as well as the fan base

Old
09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
This thread A blogger rumor causes a riot, next time its a Omark rumor about a illigate child with Renneys wife!

Theres a outshot chance that Gagsy gets the C, its make not much sense but it could happen if a couple turns the job down!

For Gagsy- 6 year oiler, nice kid who probably could run the charity stuff and a sober face for the team.He also trying hard out there on the ice. could be a good dressingroom guy?

Against Gagsy- Isnt a lock as a future Oiler. Arbitration filed last 2 contracts.
Short contracts. The hard trying out there doesnt lead to much(se for).
Has a history to be streaky. Isnt even top 5 best player on the team.
Is a complimentary player.

Hall is a hardworking gamechanger a franchise guy, its his team now whoever gets the C, should be very very surprised if he didnt get the question first.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:16 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
Couldn't agree more if he shows that he fits in well in camp he is the most suitable short term option, hall would be good dont get me wrong but he is just too young to really show the team what it's like to battle day in and day out. I can see Eakins liking Ference alot as well as the fan base
Yea exactly, give it to Hall when Ference retires in 3-4 years. By then Hall should have seen some success with the team and be mature enough that the other guys would look up to him.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:20 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Lucid? Krecji?
Great point. Do your homework
Oh, btw, good job on not using "SS" OR "fanboys".
Do my homework? Do your own.

The Oilers had set a precedent of signing forwards who are part of their core now and moving forward to long term deals. Boston never did that before signing Krecji and LuciC until this season with Bergeron.

Old
09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
Are you ******** me?? Hall battles day in and day out more than any other player on the roster.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:27 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
None of which is really relevant to whether or not he'd be a good captain.
Right. Mediocre non-core players make great captains.

See Moreau, Ethan.

Gagner arguably shouldnt even be on the team at all, never mind being the captain of the team.

Is this the summer of George?

Old
09-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Right. Mediocre non-core players make great captains.

See Moreau, Ethan.
Smith, Jason

Old
09-04-2013, 07:26 AM
MrOiler

I'm not against Gagner as captain - for a kid, he's paid some dues (6 seasons and he's just turned 24 y.o.).

However, I'm starting to buy into the talk about a bridge captain (like Ference) for 2 years until they top line is a little more mature.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Smith, Jason
Are you comparing Jason Smith to Sam Gagner?

Old
09-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
It's almost kind of funny what you started.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:21 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Hall spent last summer while under rehab working on his passing game, and look at the results it netted. He was also more aggressive last year,

I don't know how anyone could say Hall has a poor off-season regime.

Old
09-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
In a way. You might have to think on it for a while, maybe re-read what you wrote, but I believe you'll get there someday.

Old
09-04-2013, 09:02 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I don't know. The Pronger type personality is the reason why many people don't want Hall to be captain.
Hall has a Pronger type of personality? Who are these many people that don't want Hall as captain?
I'm not sure where some of you get this stuff from about Hall's supposed immaturity and now he has a Pronger type of personality unworthy of being captain according to MANY people? Oh good lord.
It's funny how some of you act as if you know these guys behind the scenes, mind boggling actually.

Anyway, i don't really see the argument for Gagner being captain. Think about it, how many captain's are second tier, relatively unproven young players signed to a bridge contract? The captain is either one of the best players on the team or a veteran who has been through the wars. Promoting a player like Gagner to captain would be an unprecedented move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wasn't referencing that. I'm just saying game ready shape. I'll be straight up here. Eberle is the worst for it. But I don't know that either RNH or Hall have been in peak condition and using best possible work out regimen either. Krueger hinted at it last year and singled Gagner for praise multiple times and using him as an example in so many words of what the club wanted the core players to be doing.
Are there any quotes about Hall not being in game ready shape while Gagner is some work out demon far and above everybody else?
I agree that the anti-Gagner stuff gets out of hand at times but the stuff being said about Hall's character and work ethic in this thread are just as bad.

Last edited by CupofOil: 09-04-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
09-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Slats432

Quote:
No, Smith is to Ethan Moreau, what good non core captain is to bad non core captain. Disproving your point.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
No, Smith is to Ethan Moreau, what good non core captain is to bad non core captain. Disproving your point.
Jason Smith was a top pairing level shutdown Dman. He was the undisputed leader in the dressing room. One of the greatest warriors to wear an oilers jersey in the last 20 years. He commanded the respect of his peers. Moreau was not that, and Gagner isn't even close.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Jason Smith was a top pairing level shutdown Dman. He was the undisputed leader in the dressing room. One of the greatest warriors to wear an oilers jersey in the last 20 years. He commanded the respect of his peers. Moreau was not that, and Gagner isn't even close.
Jason Smith was not a top pairing d man. Not even close.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Jason Smith was not a top pairing d man. Not even close.
In theory, very true. But for many years, on a mediocre Oilers squad, he was forced into it many years. Same with Steve Staois. A bottom pairing dman if I ever saw one, but due to the Oilers pathetic drafting and roster incompetence, played way above his water line.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wasn't referencing that. I'm just saying game ready shape. I'll be straight up here. Eberle is the worst for it. But I don't know that either RNH or Hall have been in peak condition and using best possible work out regimen either. Krueger hinted at it last year and singled Gagner for praise multiple times and using him as an example in so many words of what the club wanted the core players to be doing. Why would a club be stating that unless there WAS an issue?

ALL of our top picks need to be playing better, even including Hall. These are top draftpicks in the world playing together. They should fairly quickly be owning. They weren't even owning the AHL for the first month last year as they worked their way into shape. I would imagine the org thinks this isn't enough and expects more. I would say that the best players in the world should motivate to be the best. A tad bit of resting on laurels has gone on. Theres 3 forwards on this club that are obviously more talented than Gagner. But so far only one of them, Hall, is showing the same tenacity.

Didn't Gagner get demoted to the 4th line when Quinn was here due to work ethic?

Old
09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Didn't Gagner get demoted to the 4th line when Quinn was here due to work ethic?
Quinn played JFJ on the top line, so...yeah.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Jason Smith was a top pairing level shutdown Dman. He was the undisputed leader in the dressing room. One of the greatest warriors to wear an oilers jersey in the last 20 years. He commanded the respect of his peers.
And was he all these things when he was named captain of the Oilers, his third NHL team?

Old
09-04-2013, 11:40 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Hall has a Pronger type of personality? Who are these many people that don't want Hall as captain?
I'm not sure where some of you get this stuff from about Hall's supposed immaturity and now he has a Pronger type of personality unworthy of being captain according to MANY people? Oh good lord.
It's funny how some of you act as if you know these guys behind the scenes, mind boggling actually.
Well it's definitely not me, I think Hall is a completely fine choice as captain. The more vocal people on here against Hall being captain were apparently alpha'd by him at the bar.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He got demoted due to Quinn not knowing who he was. Pat Quinn had seriously stated he had never seen Sam Gagner play. He actually stated that. Gagner was "demoted" right out of camp presumably due to size and assumption of creampuffery..

How many people are noting that even this past due date codger soon recognized Gagner was among his better players.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Well it's definitely not me, I think Hall is a completely fine choice as captain. The more vocal people on here against Hall being captain were apparently alpha'd by him at the bar.
People are AGAINST Hall being captain? All I've seen is people who aren't especially against Gagner being captain, versus people who are ARE especially against Gagner being captain. I think you're fabricating a stance to argue against.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
No. Quinn demoted him because he never knew the team before he took over. He thought Hemsky was a center FFS

Closed Thread