HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hard for Lundqvist to "picture myself playing elsewhere"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2013, 02:15 PM
  #126
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Except more than half of the hockey fans in the NYC area would hate him. I think it's the one team Lundqvist wouldn't go near.
You could make an argument about the Devils as well. Bottom line is that 2 out of the 3 local fan bases alreadly hate Lundqvist. Regardless of who he winds up playing for it will always be that way. Lundqvist will do what's best for him & him alone. The fan's opinion of him isn't even a distant 2nd or 3rd.

This can be said of every player playing a professional sport.If lockouts & work stopages have taught us anything the past 20 years is that sports is a business first & foremost now.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
  #127
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
You could make an argument about the Devils as well. Bottom line is that 2 out of the 3 local fan bases alreadly hate Lundqvist. Regardless of who he winds up playing for it will always be that way. Lundqvist will do what's best for him & him alone. The fan's opinion of him isn't even a distant 2nd or 3rd.

This can be said of every player playing a professional sport.If lockouts & work stopages have taught us anything the past 20 years is that sports is a business first & foremost now.
Except it can't, because these are human beings we're talking about not robots. Hank very well could care a lot about the fans opinion of him. Then again he might not care at all, in the end does it weigh in enough to become a deciding factor? Probably not.

Regardless, there are individuals out there who see more than just dollar signs. I understand the gut wrench reaction, we're all a little jaded from the lockouts, but I think in this case it's an unfair generalization.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 03:42 PM
  #128
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Legacy, winning, money, quality of life. All of these things are potential factors for ANY player. Any statement about which factor is more important to Lundqvist is mere conjecture at this point.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 04:43 PM
  #129
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Legacy, winning, money, quality of life. All of these things are potential factors for ANY player. Any statement about which factor is more important to Lundqvist is mere conjecture at this point.
It serves as a buffer in the case he does leave, then people will remember the discussions we had and how it was suggested he was self centered and didn't care about the fans. People will then cling to that and we'll read it a gagillion times around here because it will make it easier for them to come to grasps with him leaving.

For the record, I don't see him leaving.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 07:06 PM
  #130
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
You could make an argument about the Devils as well. Bottom line is that 2 out of the 3 local fan bases alreadly hate Lundqvist. Regardless of who he winds up playing for it will always be that way. Lundqvist will do what's best for him & him alone. The fan's opinion of him isn't even a distant 2nd or 3rd.

This can be said of every player playing a professional sport.If lockouts & work stopages have taught us anything the past 20 years is that sports is a business first & foremost now.
What I was saying is that Ranger fans (who are the majority of hockey fans in NYC) would hate Lundqvist if he signed as a free agent with the Isles.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:32 PM
  #131
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Brooklyn is still considered NY. It could happen. Hank get;s everythig he wants. Money, power, young team with a bona fide superstar, access to Manhattan etc. He really could have his cake & eat it too.
I don't think Hank cares about whether or not there's a "bona fide superstar" on a team, nor would I imagine he cares how old a team is. If anything, he wants a team that's close to winning. I don't think the Isles are closer than the Rangers in any way.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 11:06 PM
  #132
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Brooklyn is still considered NY. It could happen. Hank get;s everythig he wants. Money, power, young team with a bona fide superstar, access to Manhattan etc. He really could have his cake & eat it too.
Not only do big free agents not sign with the islanders, players who are traded there refuse to report. The only free agents that do sign there are players that really don't have other options. They may have a brighter future now that they have a long contract with an arena, but they're still at the bottom of the league financially.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:03 AM
  #133
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Not only do big free agents not sign with the islanders, players who are traded there refuse to report. The only free agents that do sign there are players that really don't have other options. They may have a brighter future now that they have a long contract with an arena, but they're still at the bottom of the league financially.
I agree, however things change. It just takes one big free agent signing with the Islanders to make them legit. They have been putting pieces together for a while now. I don't know if they can put it all together with what they have & i'm not concerned about that right Now. What I am concerned about is what it's going to take to keep Lundqvist here.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
  #134
nsvoyageurs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe on twitter thinks/speculated Lundqvist will get 6 years 60 million after Crawford got 6 year 36 million.

www.twitter.com/globekpd

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:42 PM
  #135
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe on twitter thinks/speculated Lundqvist will get 6 years 60 million after Crawford got 6 year 36 million.

www.twitter.com/globekpd
Didn't read. Too stupid.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:46 PM
  #136
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
A six year extension takes Lundqvist to 38.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:10 PM
  #137
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
A six year extension takes Lundqvist to 38.
And that's about what he should get. This talk of 7 or 8 year extensions seem silly to me...particularly when people are also expecting him to get 8M/year. If he's holding out for 9M it should be for a 4 or 5 year deal bringing him to UFA at age 36 or 37.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 03:35 PM
  #138
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And that's about what he should get. This talk of 7 or 8 year extensions seem silly to me...particularly when people are also expecting him to get 8M/year. If he's holding out for 9M it should be for a 4 or 5 year deal bringing him to UFA at age 36 or 37.
Those #'s seem quite light to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  #139
Bullseyes
Registered User
 
Bullseyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe on twitter thinks/speculated Lundqvist will get 6 years 60 million after Crawford got 6 year 36 million.

www.twitter.com/globekpd
I wouldn't take KPD too seriously.

Bullseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:17 PM
  #140
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And that's about what he should get. This talk of 7 or 8 year extensions seem silly to me...particularly when people are also expecting him to get 8M/year. If he's holding out for 9M it should be for a 4 or 5 year deal bringing him to UFA at age 36 or 37.
I'm hoping for a 5-year $42.5 million contract ($8.5/year). Then he will sign one more short term contract, and retire.

If I was Lundqvist, I wouldn't be signing for anything less than $8 million. That would be the bare minimum to peak my interest with goalies like Smith and Howard getting $5.2-5.6 million, Crawford getting $6 million, and goalies like Rask with no substantial sample size making $7 million.

Will he sign at a discount? Probably not. Look at Giroux, he didn't. Would the Flyers be more successful if he did? Yes, but he signed at $8.25m/year.

Lundqvist is going to sign at a minimum of $8 million and probably be closer to $9 million given these current deals. Based on the current market, his $8-9 million salary would be valid because he is far better and proven to carry a crap team to the post season than any goaltender who have received these ridiculous contracts.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:31 AM
  #141
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Lundqvist is going to sign at a minimum of $8 million and probably be closer to $9 million given these current deals. Based on the current market, his $8-9 million salary would be valid because he is far better and proven to carry a crap team to the post season than any goaltender who have received these ridiculous contracts.
The Rangers are not a crap team, so Lundqvist hasn't been carrying a crap team to the postseason. Since the lockout the Rangers have varied from OK to pretty good.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
  #142
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The Rangers are not a crap team, so Lundqvist hasn't been carrying a crap team to the postseason. Since the lockout the Rangers have varied from OK to pretty good.
We'll have to agree to disagree. The Rangers have had some okay teams, solid teams, and even GOOD teams (11-12 really was a solid team).

This season, I thought we were the definition of mediocrity. We had no business being in the post season. 08-09? That team was a pretty bad team. Players like Dubinsky and a declining Naslund were the top producers.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
  #143
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
This Lundqvist is everywhere

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fa...w-barneys-0813

Yesterday

http://instagram.com/p/dz5Hv4r-YQ/

He was interviewed by Fran Healy

http://instagram.com/p/dzyAygL-ej/

http://instagram.com/p/dz2ChFL-UB/

Healy interviewed Henrik a few years ago.

Henrik will be on an ABC show called The Chew. Its a food show.

He did the Fox show with Regis last week.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
  #144
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,015
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Will he sign at a discount? Probably not. Look at Giroux, he didn't. Would the Flyers be more successful if he did? Yes, but he signed at $8.25m/year.
I'm not suggesting that Lundqvist will take a discount, but Giroux is a poor comparison and not a good guy to use for your arguement. He really hasn't had his pay day yet and is only 25.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
  #145
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
The whole point of much of this thread is...well...pointless. Henrik Lundqvist, as any UFA, will want a lot of money. Glen Sather is well-known throughout the NHL for overspending on UFA's.

Done.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  #146
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The whole point of much of this thread is...well...pointless. Henrik Lundqvist, as any UFA, will want a lot of money. Glen Sather is well-known throughout the NHL for overspending on UFA's.

Done.
I think Sather has been quite frugal with his internal free agents. He loves himself a shiny new toy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:37 AM
  #147
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This Lundqvist is everywhere

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fa...w-barneys-0813

Yesterday

http://instagram.com/p/dz5Hv4r-YQ/

He was interviewed by Fran Healy

http://instagram.com/p/dzyAygL-ej/

http://instagram.com/p/dz2ChFL-UB/

Healy interviewed Henrik a few years ago.

Henrik will be on an ABC show called The Chew. Its a food show.

He did the Fox show with Regis last week.
Lundqvist loves attention.

That's ok, Pittsburgh will give him the same thing.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:38 AM
  #148
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Lundqvist loves attention.

That's ok, Pittsburgh will give him the same thing.
"Hank, can you grow out that beard a little longer for the shoot next time? Take off that tie and put on this hard hat"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:58 AM
  #149
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think Sather has been quite frugal with his internal free agents. He loves himself a shiny new toy.
It's not about internal/external, it's about Sather being frugal with players he holds leverage over (internal RFA's, etc.), and overpaying for UFA's, whether internal or external. Michal Rozsival was in internal UFA, and the contract Sather gave him was horrible and hurt us in the long run.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
  #150
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
It's not about internal/external, it's about Sather being frugal with players he holds leverage over (internal RFA's, etc.), and overpaying for UFA's, whether internal or external. Michal Rozsival was in internal UFA, and the contract Sather gave him was horrible and hurt us in the long run.
Rozsival's contract wasn't that bad. He caught the fans' ire because he was soft, but he was a solid D-man. He was slightly overpaid, sure, but it hardly hurt us in the long run.

Which players did we lose because of Rozsival? It was the Drury/Redden contracts that hurt.

Hell, Sather found a way to sign Kotalik for $3M/year despite Rozi's contract. If you have the room to do that, overpaying a #3 defenceman isn't a problem.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.