HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
I did my weekly quizzes for CHEM 208 at Reggies with my friend. At the beginning of the semester we'd have a beer after our work, but by the last quiz we'd get completely plastered while doing it. Anyways, we both got As.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I did my weekly quizzes for CHEM 208 at Reggies with my friend. At the beginning of the semester we'd have a beer after our work, but by the last quiz we'd get completely plastered while doing it. Anyways, we both got As.
208 and 205 aren't same difficulty I think. I've never done 208 but I hear it's an absolute joke.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:10 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r View Post
Frosh leaders? Is that like a frat house president?

Anyways, I was wondering if tutorials are mandatory. I'm starting with a tutorial wednesday morning and I wanted to know if I need to wake up early or not.
For myself who finished engineering, I didn't go to a lot of tutorials. I think I would of done better, especially since I don't really like asking questions in class when you have 60 people eager to leave. In a tutorial (if you have a good student teacher, which isn't always the case) it's easier to ask questions since the people there are more willing to listen to anything being said.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
For myself who finished engineering, I didn't go to a lot of tutorials. I think I would of done better, especially since I don't really like asking questions in class when you have 60 people eager to leave. In a tutorial (if you have a good student teacher, which isn't always the case) it's easier to ask questions since the people there are more willing to listen to anything being said.
I never pay attention in tutorials but they are good for one thing. Even if you don't pay attention, as long as you're there to see which types of questions come often it helps you. Sometimes just seeing or hearing the steps without writing it down already helps.

Some TAs are excellent, some are meh.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Anybody ever take General Chemistry 1 at concordia (chem 205)?

I've looked up the professors on rate my prof and they seem brutal.

What level of prior Chemistry knowledge is presumed for this class? Any tips on succeeding? Also gonna have 3 hour lab sessions apparently, never been in a lab in my life...
I found this real quick through google: http://faculty.concordia.ca/rogers/Chem205.html

Seems to have some old stuff to practice with.

First of all, labs are easy to do. I had never stayed 3 hours in a lab in my life. Do you know how to cook? Well if you can follow a recipe, you can do chemistry labs. Now to the hard part of the lab, Read the lab before you get to your lab!!! I can't stress this enough. The reason why I suggest this, is not only so you know what to do, but the questions for your lab report will be in the booklet and you will be able to ask questions about the questions you will need to answer in your report Most lab techs don't give a **** about give away answers, they usually like talking with students who are actively involved in their domain of expertise. Make friends with the lab tech if you can! (although some are grumpy and well it's not as much fun).

My last piece of advice about chemistry, is I hated it and the only way I did well was by keeping up with the class and even being ahead going into class. A lot of things are to be memorized, but at the same time everything is quite logical. If you understand what you are doing, you will be fine, but make sure you know what you are doing and you are not just saying "ya ya i understand".

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
I did chem 208 online over the summer. Had not touched or thought of Chemistry since high school and got an A+. My bet is, if you're simply going for an easy elective, switch out of 205 and into 209. Literally a breeze, I did my readings for 1 hour each week and studied maybe 4-5 hours for the exam. Found it rather interesting too, like the bits on environmental impacts.
Chem 205 is nothing like chem 208. Chem 208 is a joke of a class for people who want to get good grades. Chem 205 is for those who want to get into engineering, or something else that requires you to of done pure and applied in cegep.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I never pay attention in tutorials but they are good for one thing. Even if you don't pay attention, as long as you're there to see which types of questions come often it helps you. Sometimes just seeing or hearing the steps without writing it down already helps.

Some TAs are excellent, some are meh.
Totally agree. Some people in University didn't have the hook ups to old exams, answers to questions, or even the answer booklet. At one point I had the question and answer to a question that was on a 60% final and that question was worth 40 marks. Sometimes being friends with people helps a ton, especially TAs who sometimes have a little inside

Old
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
FazChenyuk

Going to Dawson before going to Mcgill in the future. Can't wait to finish this program (accounting) in June.

FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:42 AM
InglewoodJack

Asked this last page, but for anyone at JMSB, how is taking COMM 308 and 305 at the same time? The way I switched into commerce, I kinda have to do it.

Also, how is COMM 215 online compare to in class? I had a bad teacher and I could only switch to the online section, but I'm considering getting an override to an actual class.

Last edited by InglewoodJack: 09-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
09-05-2013, 05:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Asked this last page, but for anyone at JMSB, how is taking COMM 308 and 305 at the same time? The way I switched into commerce, I kinda have to do it.

Also, how is COMM 215 online compare to in class? I had a bad teacher and I could only switch to the online section, but I'm considering getting an override to an actual class.
I'm not in JMSB but since you asked twice for an answer, I'll give you one.

Managerial Accounting and Intro to Finance aren't easy classes(from what I heard) but it also depends how many classes you're doing. If you're doing 4, then no prob. If you're doing 5 then try to put a little more effort(assuming you have no choice).

FWIW, at one point I took 18.5 credits in engineering in a single semester and at the time it ended up being the best semester I ever had. Sometimes it gets you in the zone more when classes require more effort. It's a corny answer I know but since you have to do those classes anyway, you might as well be positive about it. Best advice is whatever you do now, you don't need to do later.

Statistics is whatever. I do ENGR stats and I assume it's like 80% the same if not 90. I really don't know. Honestly, if you have a decent book, you don't even need a teacher. If for some reason you don't get your override just show up to the classes anyway and pay attention this way you don't need to redo the work yourself later. Just avoid quizzes, midterms and wtv for that section. You end up paying less and having 2 different sources. This is really only if online isn't your thing and you're forced into it.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:42 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I found this real quick through google: http://faculty.concordia.ca/rogers/Chem205.html

Seems to have some old stuff to practice with.

First of all, labs are easy to do. I had never stayed 3 hours in a lab in my life. Do you know how to cook? Well if you can follow a recipe, you can do chemistry labs. Now to the hard part of the lab, Read the lab before you get to your lab!!! I can't stress this enough. The reason why I suggest this, is not only so you know what to do, but the questions for your lab report will be in the booklet and you will be able to ask questions about the questions you will need to answer in your report Most lab techs don't give a **** about give away answers, they usually like talking with students who are actively involved in their domain of expertise. Make friends with the lab tech if you can! (although some are grumpy and well it's not as much fun).

My last piece of advice about chemistry, is I hated it and the only way I did well was by keeping up with the class and even being ahead going into class. A lot of things are to be memorized, but at the same time everything is quite logical. If you understand what you are doing, you will be fine, but make sure you know what you are doing and you are not just saying "ya ya i understand".

Chem 205 is nothing like chem 208. Chem 208 is a joke of a class for people who want to get good grades. Chem 205 is for those who want to get into engineering, or something else that requires you to of done pure and applied in cegep.
are you kidding me, this is high school level at best...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
It's cegep level. I'm not sure if it's harder in University though but it's basically chemistry 1 of cegep. To be fair, Chem 1 of cegep is 50% of chemistry from high school.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
He said he never did a lab before, my advice is to read the lab before. No matter what level he is doing, it will help him do it faster and get a better mark. Well at least IMO.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

First week almost done in physical engineering... I taking I've taken a step in the right direction.

I've read everything already and did all the suggested exercises in the textbooks so far and I'm even in advance for my thermodynamics class.

I've also bought a new desk for my room that will be more proper to studying because it's larger and it's a L-shaped corner desk. New chair that is actually comfortable too.

I hope I can continue doing like this for the remaining of the semester. At the very least I want to get into biomed engineering or biomed sciences, with my ultimate goal being medicine.

09-09-2013, 12:12 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
I'm not in JMSB but since you asked twice for an answer, I'll give you one.

Managerial Accounting and Intro to Finance aren't easy classes(from what I heard) but it also depends how many classes you're doing. If you're doing 4, then no prob. If you're doing 5 then try to put a little more effort(assuming you have no choice).

FWIW, at one point I took 18.5 credits in engineering in a single semester and at the time it ended up being the best semester I ever had. Sometimes it gets you in the zone more when classes require more effort. It's a corny answer I know but since you have to do those classes anyway, you might as well be positive about it. Best advice is whatever you do now, you don't need to do later.

Statistics is whatever. I do ENGR stats and I assume it's like 80% the same if not 90. I really don't know. Honestly, if you have a decent book, you don't even need a teacher. If for some reason you don't get your override just show up to the classes anyway and pay attention this way you don't need to redo the work yourself later. Just avoid quizzes, midterms and wtv for that section. You end up paying less and having 2 different sources. This is really only if online isn't your thing and you're forced into it.
Thanks! I was already leaning on just doing 215 online and going to class every so often, but the course is at 8:45... Going to need superhuman motivation for that one haha.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I couldn't go on HF much lately; these readings in grad school were so heavy...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:11 PM
ReppingMTL

Quote:
Thanks! I was already leaning on just doing 215 online and going to class every so often, but the course is at 8:45... Going to need superhuman motivation for that one haha.
Hey! I just did COMM 215 in the past winter semester with Sami Lee. To be honest, it's a hard course and requires work. Up until the midterm, I never practised but luckily I found out about SOS tutoring, the tutor (Marco) literally saved my life. From a guy that knew fuc* all, I came away with a 77 on the midterm. I didn't have the money to do it again for the final ,so I actually started studying. What I suggest, if you're willing to, go on CASA on FB and ask to but people's SOS Midterm and Final boos for like 10-15 each. After you get it, review by reading, the book, then the class notes and lastly the SOS book. I stayed on top of my game and came away with a 84 in the final. To be fair, it's a hard course and I suggest actually doing it in class, but if you just give yourself about three hours all week, you can be in very good shape.

But man seriously, SOS just gets to the point. I learned all the material in their six hour crash course better than 7 weeks of in class. Also, if it's your first time, it's free, so don't waste it. LOL, reading this makes me look like a rep for SOS but I'm really not.
Anyways, good luck. It only gets harder for us Accounting Majors!

ReppingMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:27 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
Hey! I just did COMM 215 in the past winter semester with Sami Lee. To be honest, it's a hard course and requires work. Up until the midterm, I never practised but luckily I found out about SOS tutoring, the tutor (Marco) literally saved my life. From a guy that knew fuc* all, I came away with a 77 on the midterm. I didn't have the money to do it again for the final ,so I actually started studying. What I suggest, if you're willing to, go on CASA on FB and ask to but people's SOS Midterm and Final boos for like 10-15 each. After you get it, review by reading, the book, then the class notes and lastly the SOS book. I stayed on top of my game and came away with a 84 in the final. To be fair, it's a hard course and I suggest actually doing it in class, but if you just give yourself about three hours all week, you can be in very good shape.

But man seriously, SOS just gets to the point. I learned all the material in their six hour crash course better than 7 weeks of in class. Also, if it's your first time, it's free, so don't waste it. LOL, reading this makes me look like a rep for SOS but I'm really not.
Anyways, good luck. It only gets harder for us Accounting Majors!
Haha yeah, I did SOS for 217 with Marco. Unfortunately I was so behind that even that didn't save me, but yeah I can definitely back SOS, i'll probably be there for at least the final. I decided to go with the online and attend Lee's class (she coordinates the online as well) every so often because I've heard good things about her. Luckily, I'm a marketing major, can't wait to get done with all the numbers classes haha

Old
09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
JPGoHabsGo

Are the english colleges in quebec very good?

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:44 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post
Are the english colleges in quebec very good?
CEGEPS? yeah. Ultimately, Cegep is what you make of it. It's university prep, so you can go to a highly-touted private school like Marianopolis and not be ready for university, or you could go to Dawson or Vanier, public schools and breeze through Uni.

Old
09-12-2013, 04:25 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
CEGEPS? yeah. Ultimately, Cegep is what you make of it. It's university prep, so you can go to a highly-touted private school like Marianopolis and not be ready for university, or you could go to Dawson or Vanier, public schools and breeze through Uni.

This post screams ignorance. Just curious, were you refused from Marianopolis?

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post

Why is it ignorant?

Either you misread or your post screams arrogance.

Old
09-12-2013, 07:10 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post

WTF is this... I went to College Ahuntsic and I ended up a doctor. Tell me you're kidding.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Any UofA'rs ?

Sens players beat up 5'8" Habs players, they are praised. Subban beats up a small Sens player, he's a coward, he's spot picking, he's this, he's that, he's too NBA, he's too NFL, cocky, classless, etc, etc, etc.... You guys are too much.
dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:09 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
delete

Last edited by CaptainIginla: 11-07-2013 at 10:09 AM.
CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:31 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Why is it ignorant?

Either you misread or your post screams arrogance.
I didn't misread it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack
It's ignorant because he said if you go to a private school, your not prepared for uni, whereas if you go to a public school you'll breeze through it. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I'm saying that the school you go to is not the be all and end all for everything, it all depends on the person.

Quote:
WTF is this... I went to College Ahuntsic and I ended up a doctor. Tell me you're kidding.
See the above post.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote