HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season: Let's Talk about...Books?

Old
09-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Check out the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's his best work.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:29 AM
ngc_5128

Nothing says dystopian like a good post nuclear war story. I recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, The Children of Men by P.D. James, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood all offer different kinds of dystopian futures, but are still all excellent reads.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:31 AM
zzoo

Can we make this interesting thread sticky ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
Nothing says dystopian like a good post nuclear war story. I recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, The Children of Men by P.D. James, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood all offer different kinds of dystopian futures, but are still all excellent reads.
Ive actually read the chrysalids in high school, i actually thought it was amazing and wonder why nobodies made it into a movie yet

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Ive actually read the chrysalids in high school, i actually thought it was amazing and wonder why nobodies made it into a movie yet
Same. Chrysalids is a childhood favorite of mine.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Le Casque de Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So, I thought that since we have a thread about film and that it's going over well, maybe it would be a good idea to share some of our opinions about books/novels/comics we've read recently.

I have to admit, the first time I ever opened a book to read was in CEGEP and it was a textbook. So I'm a little behind in ALL literature. I found a niche in Sci-fi utopia/distopia novels. I really enjoy them. So In the last few months I've started with some Classics.

A Brave New World
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
The Time Machine.

I really enjoyed the last two. Was disappointed by A Brave New World and still have no opinion of 1984. For 1984, I really liked the beginning, found the romance aspect to drag on, and was perplexed by the ending.

My favorite of the bunch is The Time Machine, it's short, but good.

I don't know where to go to next.
I really liked A brave new world, but I've read it like 10 years ago so it's been a long time. Like you I started to read books at something like 20 yrs old..
Started with René Barjavel that I still like (La nuit des temps, Le grand secret) but probably not well known in English. Except that I didn't read much sci-fi..

In recent years one of my favorite was All quiet on the western front (Erich Maria Remarque), short but great read about absurdity of war.

Le Casque de Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:19 PM
kingdok
HFBoards Sponsor

For french readers, read Rejean Ducharme. All of them.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
buddahsmoka1

I absolutely couldn't stand the Chrysalids. I remember blowing through it just so I could ask my English teacher to give me something else.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Any other Robert Ludlum fan here ? I am a big fan of almost all his books. The Jason Bourne trilogy is very good.

I also like the Philip Kerr books about Bernie Gunther, the Dan Brown books and some Steve Berry like The Romanov prophecy.

Any books or others authors i should check in the action, spy or thriller genre ?

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
I had no idea it was a novel. I'm so ignorant. Will definitely check that out.
You didn't read it in elementary school? I figured we went to same one. I read it in grade 6 I believe.

FWIW, I shouldn't be in this thread at all. I don't read books.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Yozzy

Less Than Zero is a great read.

Yozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:35 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
For french readers, read Rejean Ducharme. All of them.
My girlfriend is looking for french material to read since she's anglophone and taking a minor in french this semester. How difficult would you say it is to someone who isn't very good at french?

Old
09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Check out the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's his best work.
great fantasy reads..

talking about school books, other posts, the giver is a fantastic book.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
1984 is my all-time favorite book. I wanted to read it this summer but I lost my only copy of it.

I second that, 1984 changed my opinions on so many things, a huge influence on anything political. Same with Animal Farm.

While we're talking about classics, The Catcher in the Rye and On The Road are musts for the same reason, how they sound. The slang is written so well you can hear the protagonists' accents, even tough On The Road is on another level, I find.

And finally my favorite book, One Hundred Years of Solitude. I think I read it about once a year and I find something new everytime.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Oh, is anyone a fan of Swiss Family Robinson here? My grandmother gave me the oldest looking beat up copy of it when I was around 6. It's the book that got me interested in reading. Love that ****ing book. Prefer it to Robinson Crusoe.

Yeah, come at me.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Pegasus

Lee Child, Jack Reacher
Easy read, interesting, not like the movie with Tom Cruise, lol, he is like 5 feet and he plays a guy that is 6 feet 5

Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
My girlfriend is looking for french material to read since she's anglophone and taking a minor in french this semester. How difficult would you say it is to someone who isn't very good at french?
She should try Les Chroniques du Plateau Mont-Royal by Michel Tremblay, especially the first one, La grosse femme d'à côté est enceinte. Easy to read and very well written.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:19 PM
JAVO16

I'd recommend the Zone of Thought series by Vernor Vinge to anyone into Isaac Asimov novels.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

I read the Phone book last year. Riveting story. Things happen alphabetically a lot in that book and numbers play a big part. I wont give the ending away but just remember the last chapter stars and finishes with a 'Z'. And they GIVE it away too so its cheap!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I read the Phone book last year. Riveting story. Things happen alphabetically a lot in that book and numbers play a big part. I wont give the ending away but just remember the last chapter stars and finishes with a 'Z'. And they GIVE it away too so its cheap!
no they dont! you have to cut the metal wire thingy!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You didn't read it in elementary school? I figured we went to same one. I read it in grade 6 I believe.

FWIW, I shouldn't be in this thread at all. I don't read books.
I was sent to a special elementary school after grade 2 because I was very very hyperactive. Smaller classes, profs paid more attention to you. Focus on Math and history instead of literature.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:30 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
I was sent to a special elementary school after grade 2 because I was very very hyperactive. Smaller classes, profs paid more attention to you. Focus on Math and history instead of literature.
Pfff. They just sent me to one for kids who were violent and had social difficulties.

It did have videogames, though...

Old
09-04-2013, 03:44 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
reread huckleberry finn, just this last weekend, from my childhood. the adult themes I never understood made it much better.

grapes of wrath
don quixote

this world needs more book talk!!
Still need to read the 2nd book of DQ. Amazing! Better than Shakespeare and way ahead of it's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I recently read The Crying of Lot 54 (the first and only Pynchon I've read so far)...I started out enjoying it but I didn't really care for the direction in went in. V and Gravity's Rainbow are on the "someday" list.
I didn't mind Lot 49 but it's not really 'Pynchon'. Apparently, he slagged that one off but I don't know how anybody knows he did that because he's a J.D. Salinger level recluse.

Except for his cameo on the Simpsons.

I'd read V first. Wish I was more articulate in talking about him but he really does defy description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
After an unfortunate ~3 months since I last sat down to read a book I went on a spree the other day and got a few I've been meaning to open up.

The Master and the Margarita by Bulgakov, Pale Fire by Nabokov and For Whom the Bells Toll by Hemingway.

I'd absolutely second A Confederacy of Dunces, it is easily the funniest book I've ever read. Most people can't stand it when the protagonist isn't likable (think: less endearing, less aware Micheal Scott from the Office. It's cringe-worthy yes, but also hilarious) but I've read the book multiple times now and it's by far my favorite novel. Catch-22 is also fantastic in so many ways - the wordplay, the symmetry, the irony - just as funny, but much deeper and timeless to boot.

I've heard so much about Pynchon (and Foster Wallace) that I think I should just dive in. After the aforementioned three, I suppose those are up next. I had a hard time with Heart of Darkness earlier in 2013, the language was thorny and dense but I found it to be very satisfying by the end. Is Pynchon similar?
Been wanting to read those first 3 you mentioned. Especially 'Pale Fire'.

Pynchon's language is very dense but I find that he's not as unreadable as he's been made out to be. I find lots of authors tougher to read than him, for varying reasons.

Like I mentioned to Hoto, read V first. And it's best to read him slowly and really try to visualize and work through every line.

Paradoxically, you'll find that you can read him quicker this way as you'll find his rhythm out and won't have to go back and re-read passages that you didn't quite get the first time. Plus you'll deeper submerge yourself in his world which makes you just want to keep going. Definitely go slow.

I got this advice from some review of V, to read slow and read V first after trying to read him so many times and failing and it really worked.

Once you get into him, very few authors can really compare. Such a singular experience.

Quote:
Oh, and I've been absolutely meaning to get into more graphic novels - and after someone here referred to me as Spider Jerusalem (a Hunter S Thompson superhero! Sweet!) I've been really meaning to read those Transmetropolitan comics but I'm not sure if I'll like them... I usually pirate the first copy and then buy the bound book if I like it (like with Watchmen) but I haven't had any luck yet.

And for the record, if you want a light but engaging read I highly recommend The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson. HST wrote that novel so early in his career, he was in his early 20s I believe, and it's been an enduring source of inspiration for me in my own creative endeavors. Same goes for Stephen King's The Gunslinger.
I was the one who called you Spider! If you're a HST fan than I can't see you not liking Trans even though they're not exactly similar. Trans is more out and out misanthropic. Good fun.

Read an excerpt of Rum Diary from The Great Shark Hunt and loved it!

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:53 PM
HaZiKaN

The GSP Book is pretty good. And for people who don't read a lot, its easy to read and not too long. Verry interesting on many different aspects.

HaZiKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:58 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Oh, and I've been absolutely meaning to get into more graphic novels - and after someone here referred to me as Spider Jerusalem (a Hunter S Thompson superhero! Sweet!) I've been really meaning to read those Transmetropolitan comics but I'm not sure if I'll like them... I usually pirate the first copy and then buy the bound book if I like it (like with Watchmen) but I haven't had any luck yet.

And for the record, if you want a light but engaging read I highly recommend The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson. HST wrote that novel so early in his career, he was in his early 20s I believe, and it's been an enduring source of inspiration for me in my own creative endeavors. Same goes for Stephen King's The Gunslinger.
If you're in Montreal any time soon, let me know. You could drop by the shop and we can see if anything interests you.

Bloumeister is the only hf'er to stop by, so far, so it's not like you have to measure up to much.

Last edited by overlords: 09-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.