2014 Qualifying (UEFA) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
2014 Qualifying (UEFA) Part II

The other thread is nearing its limit, and it's almost match day. Figure this might be helpful.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
From looking at the group standings, only Italy and Holland can clinch spots by winning their matches without getting help from the other fixtures.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
tobo

I'm still trying to figure out which group is the weakest: D or E.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Jaqen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
I'm still trying to figure out which group is the weakest: D or E.
I don't think Group D is that weak, I would say Group G is weaker. Group E is pathetic.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
GarretJoseph*

Huge week for Group C!!!

Current Standings

Germany 16pts
Austria 11pts
Sweden 11pts
Ireland 11pts
Kazakhstan 1pt
Faroe Islands 0pts
------------------------
Friday - Germany vs Austira
Friday - Ireland vs Sweden

Tuesday - Kazakhstan vs Sweden
Tuesday - Austria vs Ireland
Tuesday - Faroe Islands vs Germany

Old
09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
With the fixtures coming up, 3 points in that Friday match is mandatory for Ireland.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:39 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
With the fixtures coming up, 3 points in that Friday match is mandatory for Ireland.
Agreed. Although a draw and 3 points against Austria isn't the worst either. I think they should be gunning for 6 points. 0-0 away to Sweden and were winning in Dublin 2-1 when Austria tied it up in injury time late on. Ireland are capable of winning both.

Big Richard Dunne back in the squad and healthy to manhandle Ibrahimovic!

Old
09-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Take it that people heard the Chairman of the FA's speech today about the future of English football?

Old
09-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Yes and it embodied everything that is wrong with English football. Making a statement that you intend to win a WC you don't even have the players for yet is foolish and places a lot of pressure on what are now just children or young players. It also doesn't mesh to have a really old, dinosaur manager in place with that aim. And to have youth team managers without a fresh and bright perspective. It's all a bit silly.

The first step for England should be to put out their best squad at every tournament, regardless of age or profile. I'd start there. Keeping their best U-23's out of the U-21 setup in Israel wasn't a good idea. It's easy to blame foreign influx for the problems English has at national team levels, but they didn't qualify for quite a few World Cups before that.

There's also some question as to what benefits the English national team more. Big clubs having their B team in lower divisions or Port Vale?

Old
09-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

He made a complete fool of himself as well. By the time 2022 comes the core of our squad will be retired or past it. I dread to think who the replacements are. I think that if he's serious about making changes then the first thing that needs to be done is that squads should be made to field at least 3 U23's in each match. In the future I'd like to see a better reserve league and youth structure and a cap on the number of imports/foreign players because as much as he doesn't want to say it's a problem. It is.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

They won't cap imports because that's what makes the FA and Premier League all their money. I doubt very strongly that people world wide are going to tune in to watch a league with that many English players in it, especially considering the state of English players and their development right now.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:09 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqen View Post
I don't think Group D is that weak, I would say Group G is weaker. Group E is pathetic.
Group E, especially because Norway is the seeded team in that group despite not qualifying for anything since 2000. Switzerland is an alright team but that's about it from that group.

Group G is weaker than Group D, that group is flattering Bosnia imo. BiH is a good team but they aren't darkhorses like some European media want you to believe. Beating Greece, Slovakia and Latvia doesn't make you a darkhorse....

Old
09-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
They won't cap imports because that's what makes the FA and Premier League all their money. I doubt very strongly that people world wide are going to tune in to watch a league with that many English players in it, especially considering the state of English players and their development right now.
That's why I think it'd be best to put a rule on a number of English young players playing. I had a look at it on another forum out of interest;

Out of interest I looked at the players that each team could field if a U23 3 player rule was enforced tomorrow;

Arsenal - Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs
Aston Villa - Nathan Baker, Jed Steer, Jordan Bowery and Gary Gardener
Cardiff - Steven Caulker, Jordon Mutch and ??/
Chelsea - Josh McEachran, Nathan Chalobah and ??
Crystal Palace - Jack Hunt, Stuart O'Keefe and ??
Everton - Ross Barkley, Luke Garbutt and John Stone
Fulham - Matthew Briggs
Hull - Joe Dudgeon, ?? and ??
Liverpool - Raheem Sterling, Andre Wisdom, Joe Flanagan, Adam Morgan.
Man City - Jack Rodwell, ?? and ??
Man United - Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck and Wilfried Zaha
Newcastle - Gael Bigirimana, Sammy Ameobi and Adam Campbell
Norwich - Nathan Redmond, ?? and ??
Southampton - Nathaniel Clyne, James-Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw,
Stoke - Jack Butland, ?? and ??
Sunderland - Connor Wickham, ?? and ??
Swansea - Jonjo Shelvey, ?? and ??
Tottenham - Andros Townsend, Zeki Fryers and ??
West Brom - George Thorne, Saido Berahino and ??
West Ham - Ravel Morrisson, ?? and ??

This was only after a quick looks and some holes can probably be filled. But interesting nonetheless.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:47 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
That's why I think it'd be best to put a rule on a number of English young players playing. I had a look at it on another forum out of interest;

Out of interest I looked at the players that each team could field if a U23 3 player rule was enforced tomorrow;

Arsenal - Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs
Aston Villa - Nathan Baker, Jed Steer, Jordan Bowery and Gary Gardener
Cardiff - Steven Caulker, Jordon Mutch and ??/
Chelsea - Josh McEachran, Nathan Chalobah and ??
Crystal Palace - Jack Hunt, Stuart O'Keefe and ??
Everton - Ross Barkley, Luke Garbutt and John Stone
Fulham - Matthew Briggs
Hull - Joe Dudgeon, ?? and ??
Liverpool - Raheem Sterling, Andre Wisdom, Joe Flanagan, Adam Morgan.
Man City - Jack Rodwell, ?? and ??
Man United - Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck and Wilfried Zaha
Newcastle - Gael Bigirimana, Sammy Ameobi and Adam Campbell
Norwich - Nathan Redmond, ?? and ??
Southampton - Nathaniel Clyne, James-Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw,
Stoke - Jack Butland, ?? and ??
Sunderland - Connor Wickham, ?? and ??
Swansea - Jonjo Shelvey, ?? and ??
Tottenham - Andros Townsend, Zeki Fryers and ??
West Brom - George Thorne, Saido Berahino and ??
West Ham - Ravel Morrisson, ?? and ??

This was only after a quick looks and some holes can probably be filled. But interesting nonetheless.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Isaiah Brown, Patrick Bamford, George Saville, Sam Hutchinson, Todd Kane...

Old
09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
cgf

The problem in England is that the gap between the top teams n the rest is so significant that there's no glory to be won at clubs where those young players can ideally develop. The clubs that have shots at some glory are ones where it's very hard for more than the very brightest youths to break through.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:07 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Group E, especially because Norway is the seeded team in that group despite not qualifying for anything since 2000. Switzerland is an alright team but that's about it from that group.

Group G is weaker than Group D, that group is flattering Bosnia imo. BiH is a good team but they aren't darkhorses like some European media want you to believe. Beating Greece, Slovakia and Latvia doesn't make you a darkhorse....
I think hitzfeld has those Swiss kids playing more than alright. They're going to be a lot of fun at the WC and 2014 euros. They've got some very interesting youngins looking to join Xhaka, Rodriguez, Shaqiri, and their crafty vets, Inler, Stoker, Schweigler, Behrami, Dzemaili, Lichtsteiner, Klose, Benaglio, so they'll not just be very tough to beat but also very clever with the ball.

That's a very tough midfield with a pair of deadly wingers in front of a strong defense that has excellent fullbacks. Striker is a weak point but with Stoker, Xhaka and Shaqiri creating chances they should still score goals.

Old
09-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post

They aren't going to give any top team problems, but not too many teams can claim they destroyed Greece like they did. Should've been 5-0 or 6-0. Beating Greece is a huge accomplishment and a big win for anybody.

But the thing is still that defense. Take Spahic away, and I'd take the nobodies from Armenia or Latvia over what we have for our CB's.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:41 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Sneijder made his way back into Oranje because of Wijnaldum's injury. Should be interesting to see him. He's been working more on fitness over the summer for the first time.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Isaiah Brown, Patrick Bamford, George Saville, Sam Hutchinson, Todd Kane...
I went with the first teams squad as presented by Wiki. Every team has players in their youth teams that could play but they're not good enough yet.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:21 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I went with the first teams squad as presented by Wiki. Every team has players in their youth teams that could play but they're not good enough yet.
I doubt most of the players you listed are "good enough" if you consider the alternatives at their position. The only teams that have a decent trio of U23's in the first team are Arsenal and Man United.

The players I listed could all be promoted to the first team if PL teams had to meet a quota. They all played for Chelsea in preseason (except for Brown) and could hold their own. However they have to develop and rushing young talent can also ruin their careers.

If you are a top team in Europe, it's not easy to field young players in your country without jeopardizing your chances of success.

Let's take Barcelona, Real, Juve, Bayern and Dortmund for example. How many U23's in their first team from their respective countries start week in week out?

Barcelona: Tello? Sergi? They barely start games.
Real: Isco is the only realistic option who can start a game. Carvajal, Nacho, Rodriguez, Morata and Illarramendi are all depth players.
Juve: None that I can think of.
Bayern: Kroos, Müller and Götze. Others are depth.
Dortmund: Gündogan

So not that many. I do agree that it's ridiculous that sometimes an English PL team will field a whole starting 11 without and English player in it (Arsenal comes to mind a few years ago).

The most important thing to do is to develop at the grassroots level and improve academies. Then we can talk about enforcing stricter quotas on the homegrown rule.

Why do you think teams in France, Spain, Germany and Holland don't have problems finding young prospects? Because their academies are top class. Hell even Belgium's academies have managed to produce top talent.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Time to beat Germany...

We actually haven't looked terrible the last few games against them. Buuuuut, we did get embarrassed by Greece in our last game

09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Sturridge is out of the Friday match with a thigh injury. For a while there I was worried he was going to be made to play.

Old
09-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Ugh, Hazard probably out for tomorrow's game. Already missing Kompany and Vermaelen. Heard Vertonghen was doubtful too.

Old
09-05-2013, 02:35 PM
ScottishCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Ugh, Hazard probably out for tomorrow's game. Already missing Kompany and Vermaelen. Heard Vertonghen was doubtful too.
You'll still win

Old
09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Elever
Hth

Where are Belgium getting all these players now all of a sudden? Did they stop playing all other sports?

Closed Thread