HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Coyotes institute parking fees at two lots with reduced price for STH

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2013, 05:10 PM
  #76
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Great sentiment...

George Gosbee ‏@Goz100 2h
$5 tickets [at intrasquad scrimmage on Wed. Sept. 18 at 7:00 p.m.] will benefit the families of the 19 firefighters who perished fighting Yarnell Hill fire. More details on http://PhoenixCoyotes.com

Source: https://twitter.com/Goz100

Will the parking fees be waived?


Go there and find out......

TheLegend is offline  
Old
09-04-2013, 08:53 PM
  #77
enarwpg
Registered User
 
enarwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Great sentiment...

George Gosbee ‏@Goz100 2h
$5 tickets [at intrasquad scrimmage on Wed. Sept. 18 at 7:00 p.m.] will benefit the families of the 19 firefighters who perished fighting Yarnell Hill fire. More details on http://PhoenixCoyotes.com

Source: https://twitter.com/Goz100

Will the parking fees be waived?

They could get a real feel for how regular season game day parking is going to work if they were to offer " free admission with paid parking " for the intrasquad scrimmage.

enarwpg is offline  
Old
09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
  #78
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Go there and find out......
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
They could get a real feel for how regular season game day parking is going to work if they were to offer " free admission with paid parking " for the intrasquad scrimmage.
Nothing in the press release about 'parking.'

Source: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681459

Llama19 is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 12:49 AM
  #79
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
They could get a real feel for how regular season game day parking is going to work if they were to offer " free admission with paid parking " for the intrasquad scrimmage.

Sorta defeats the purpose of doing a benefit for the firemen, doesn't it?


TheLegend is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 09:23 AM
  #80
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Go there and find out......
I did and I was unable to determine if they were charging for parking for it or not. I did see however that they appear to be charging $30 advance for parking for the other games if purchased via ticketmastard. (although, that could just be a system placeholder since nothing is yet on sale and that price could come down)

That said tho, it's great to see the $5 fire fighter benefit ticket for the first exhibition game. Brilliant decision, to bond with the community and give people a chance to see a game while supporting a very important cause. Hats off to them for this! 10/10. Let's hope the team and the City can figure out how to provide free parking that night.

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 09:48 AM
  #81
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
I did and I was unable to determine if they were charging for parking for it or not. I did see however that they appear to be charging $30 advance for parking for the other games if purchased via ticketmastard. (although, that could just be a system placeholder since nothing is yet on sale and that price could come down)

That said tho, it's great to see the $5 fire fighter benefit ticket for the first exhibition game. Brilliant decision, to bond with the community and give people a chance to see a game while supporting a very important cause. Hats off to them for this! 10/10. Let's hope the team and the City can figure out how to provide free parking that night.
I agree... good move. Of course they won't charge for parking; it's not a game, but an intra-squad scrimmage.

Whileee is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 11:36 AM
  #82
enarwpg
Registered User
 
enarwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Sorta defeats the purpose of doing a benefit for the firemen, doesn't it?

So you're implying that few would show up because they would have to pay for parking.

enarwpg is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 04:02 PM
  #83
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
So you're implying that few would show up because they would have to pay for parking.
I'm not sure how many fans anywhere would pay $20 or more to park for an intra-squad game.

Whileee is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 07:46 PM
  #84
enarwpg
Registered User
 
enarwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I'm not sure how many fans anywhere would pay $20 or more to park for an intra-squad game.
True, but the whole discussion is over parking charges and how apparently RSE suckered in the naive and easily distracted COG (well at least in my mind) into upping the AMF through the use of smoke and mirrors involving parking which the COG owns the rights to. The city would be better off to charge for parking themselves but that's another argument for added entertainment in the future.

And now some are suggesting the COG shouldn't really expect RSE to implement those charges this year because it'll be a massive hit on fans. Seems like some are suggesting fans will / may stay away from some of the lowest priced tickets in the league because there's a net increase to see a game?

Hell what some forget is the team is staying, there's dedicated owners for 5 years or a $50 million dollar loss (whichever comes first), there's no increase to ticket prices (well some say that would be more palatable than implementing parking charges but how's that different from charging for parking). I'll tell you why it's different.

I'm thinking those marketing geniuses, who call themselves RSE, may have dreamed this parking scheme this way so people will lay blame on the COG (seeing as that stream of revenue goes to the COG, minus the 20K per game) whereas if RSE increased ticket prices the cash and blame would lay solely with them.

I did up a chart (page 3 post #67 of this thread) showing that to get to the $2.2 million RSE promised the COG all they'd have to do is increase ticket prices by $4 dollars, which would bring in the same $2.2 million but seeing as that amount is not guaranteed and Fortress requires guarantees on payments flowing to them, guess what?

Yup, you guessed it, RSE doesn't increase ticket prices, so they won't seem / appear like they're violating and pillaging city coffers, but offer up parking revenues to the COG which apparently isn't fair to some and who are actually trying to make it seem like the COG are the culprits behind an increase to parking charges, which were in place last year on a lot adjacent to the arena, and to implement / charge for parking in lots on which there never was a charge.

Oh, the poor ST holder or the walk up fan or the new fan will be hit with a massive net increase to watch hockey.

But hey, it's all good for the time being. The proof of the pudding could come when the COG gets far less than the $2.2 million RSE said they believe they'll give back to the city.

It's all mind numbing but very, very entertaining from my side (Glendale non-resident).....

enarwpg is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 08:37 PM
  #85
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
I did and I was unable to determine if they were charging for parking for it or not. I did see however that they appear to be charging $30 advance for parking for the other games if purchased via ticketmastard. (although, that could just be a system placeholder since nothing is yet on sale and that price could come down)

That said tho, it's great to see the $5 fire fighter benefit ticket for the first exhibition game. Brilliant decision, to bond with the community and give people a chance to see a game while supporting a very important cause. Hats off to them for this! 10/10. Let's hope the team and the City can figure out how to provide free parking that night.
You missed the point....

It was referring to him showing up on the 18th and finding out. Guess I should have made that clearer.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
  #86
davemac1313
Registered User
 
davemac1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keewatin, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Does the team have an option to charge or not charge, under the agreement reached? I don't know all the intricacies of the lease, but I was not of the understanding that the team could determine optional charges. I thought even high school graduations had to charge for parking, as a non-hockey event. Anyone certain if they can waive the charge?

davemac1313 is offline  
Old
09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
  #87
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac1313 View Post
Does the team have an option to charge or not charge, under the agreement reached? I don't know all the intricacies of the lease, but I was not of the understanding that the team could determine optional charges. I thought even high school graduations had to charge for parking, as a non-hockey event. Anyone certain if they can waive the charge?
From the agreement:

Section 8.2 Management and Operation of Parking, Section 8.2.1 Parking Rights, sub section (e): Arena Manager shall charge for the use of all spaces within the Arena Parking Area for all Hockey Events and Non-Hockey Events (but not City Sponsored Events where the charges, if any, shall be property of the City and determined by the City except Supplemental Surcharges, which shall not be charged with respect to City Sponsored Events, unless the City advises Arena Manager of its desire to impose such charges on one or more such events at least ten (10) days in advance of any such City Sponsored Event).

P.S. enarwpg post is dead on.

Llama19 is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 12:59 AM
  #88
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarwpg View Post
True, but the whole discussion is over parking charges and how apparently RSE suckered in the naive and easily distracted COG (well at least in my mind) into upping the AMF through the use of smoke and mirrors involving parking which the COG owns the rights to. The city would be better off to charge for parking themselves but that's another argument for added entertainment in the future.

And now some are suggesting the COG shouldn't really expect RSE to implement those charges this year because it'll be a massive hit on fans. Seems like some are suggesting fans will / may stay away from some of the lowest priced tickets in the league because there's a net increase to see a game?

Hell what some forget is the team is staying, there's dedicated owners for 5 years or a $50 million dollar loss (whichever comes first), there's no increase to ticket prices (well some say that would be more palatable than implementing parking charges but how's that different from charging for parking). I'll tell you why it's different.

I'm thinking those marketing geniuses, who call themselves RSE, may have dreamed this parking scheme this way so people will lay blame on the COG (seeing as that stream of revenue goes to the COG, minus the 20K per game) whereas if RSE increased ticket prices the cash and blame would lay solely with them.

I did up a chart (page 3 post #67 of this thread) showing that to get to the $2.2 million RSE promised the COG all they'd have to do is increase ticket prices by $4 dollars, which would bring in the same $2.2 million but seeing as that amount is not guaranteed and Fortress requires guarantees on payments flowing to them, guess what?

Yup, you guessed it, RSE doesn't increase ticket prices, so they won't seem / appear like they're violating and pillaging city coffers, but offer up parking revenues to the COG which apparently isn't fair to some and who are actually trying to make it seem like the COG are the culprits behind an increase to parking charges, which were in place last year on a lot adjacent to the arena, and to implement / charge for parking in lots on which there never was a charge.

Oh, the poor ST holder or the walk up fan or the new fan will be hit with a massive net increase to watch hockey.

But hey, it's all good for the time being. The proof of the pudding could come when the COG gets far less than the $2.2 million RSE said they believe they'll give back to the city.

It's all mind numbing but very, very entertaining from my side (Glendale non-resident).....
Well, RSE wasn't dealing with the brightest bulbs in the box in dealing with Manny "the Muddle" Martinez, Sam "Moonstruck" Chavira and Greg "the Whip" Sherwood, etc. They were under time pressure to complete the deal, and all they could think of was coming up with a scenario plausible enough to make the majority of council members and enough of the public think that they were evening out revenue with the AMF. Of course, if they wanted to make the two equivalent, they could have easily done that through specific performance clauses. For example, if there was a shortfall in parking revenue (as there will almost certainly be), they could have adjusted the ticket surcharge in subsequent years to compensate. But RSE had no real intention of being tied to a regimen that evened out the AMF, because the AMF is de facto a subsidy. I happen to think that they could have structured the lease agreement in a way that would leave more latitude for a sensible marketing and pricing policy, using a more flexible mix of ticket surcharges and parking.

Either way, they will need a lot more hockey fans paying much higher prices to make things work over the next few years. In a couple of years we should have a good read on that progress. In the meantime, I will be very surprised if the COG realizes the revenues necessary to offset the AMF. That will likely become the more immediate talking point in Glendale.

Whileee is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 09:23 AM
  #89
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
You missed the point....

It was referring to him showing up on the 18th and finding out. Guess I should have made that clearer.
i agree

GuelphStormer is offline  
Old
09-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  #90
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 23,160
vCash: 500
... and until the seasons started, some weeks & months under their belts, we've said all we can about parking.

Closed.

Killion is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.