HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
An update on Gagne from earlier today, status quo:

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...tafGDQyv7PP.99
Holmgren is just throwing Gagne a bone and it should remain as such. I don't mind him coming to camp and trying to earn a spot but it shouldn't go beyond that. More competition is good but giving Gagne any amount of deference is actually detrimental to player development...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Unstable

I agree that getting Laughton or McGinn into the lineup would be good, but I still really think that Gags could help Couts find his offensive game.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Stizzle

I'm so sick of hearing about Simon Gagne. I hope he isn't invited to camp so people will just shut up about him. All things being equal, if his name was Joe Q. Smith and he performed like he did last year, people wouldn't care one ioata if he was on the team or not.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about Simon Gagne. I hope he isn't invited to camp so people will just shut up about him. All things being equal, if his name was Joe Q. Smith and he performed like he did last year, people wouldn't care one ioata if he was on the team or not.
So much fail...

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
So much fail...
Yeah, ok dude. The guy doesn't do anything well anymore. He isn't bad at anything, either. He's just kind of there. Contrary to popular opinion he doesn't create any offense anymore. Also, he can't finish many of the prime scoring chances he is presented with. He does find open ice for scoring chances, just does nothing with it.

Unlike you, I've actually gone back and watched many games from last year. My eyes aren't deceiving me. He is a really low end NHL forward. Tale off your 2005 Gagne jersey and accept that it's 2013.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
flyersfan28

right now the third line is ?-couturier-read
why the flyers don't trade read he is ufa after this season

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Mota

Quote:
Yeah, ok dude. The guy doesn't do anything well anymore. He isn't bad at anything, either. He's just kind of there. Contrary to popular opinion he doesn't create any offense anymore. Also, he can't finish many of the prime scoring chances he is presented with. He does find open ice for scoring chances, just does nothing with it.

Unlike you, I've actually gone back and watched many games from last year. My eyes aren't deceiving me. He is a really low end NHL forward. Tale off your 2005 Gagne jersey and accept that it's 2013.
One of the things I liked about having Gagne back was his ability to find open ice and be in position. A lot of the younger players lack hockey sense in that area, and that really showed early on in the season. I agree he struggled finishing...but I think his smart play could really compliment the younger skill out there. Even when he played on the top line at the end of the year, his positioning opened up space for G and Vorecek.

No one expects Gags to put up 30+ goals anymore...but I dont think 15-20 goals/40-50 points in that unrealistic. Hes still a great skater and solid two way player who brings a lot of character to the table.

As long as the cap hit is reasonable...I really dont see why people are so against bringing him back.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
One of the things I liked about having Gagne back was his ability to find open ice and be in position. A lot of the younger players lack hockey sense in that area, and that really showed early on in the season. I agree he struggled finishing...but I think his smart play could really compliment the younger skill out there. Even when he played on the top line at the end of the year, his positioning opened up space for G and Vorecek.

No one expects Gags to put up 30+ goals anymore...but I dont think 15-20 goals/40-50 points in that unrealistic. Hes still a great skater and solid two way player who brings a lot of character to the table.

As long as the cap hit is reasonable...I really dont see why people are so against bringing him back.
I do for many reasons. He'll never be healthy enough, he can't hit the broad side of a barn, & he's a bottom 6 player at this point not many of them are putting up those kind of point totals. I would say 10-15 goals & 25-30 points are more realistic at this point & that's being generous.

He was also terrible when with Giroux & Voracek last year. I didn't really think it was possible to do so but he accomplished it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:39 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

I've spent too much time in this thread reading peoples negative feelings on Gagne and I don't get where they're coming from. Were you guys watching the same games last year I was? Gagne was by no means an all-star out there, but he did pretty well all things considered. I agree, his injury history is concerning, but if he gets hurt then you can call up McGinn or whoever. Gagne can still play anywhere in the lineup and those claiming "he can't finish" pretty much all are referring to the one game where he played with Giroux and Voracek.

Ok, that's my last post on the matter. Hope Gagne's back in the orange and black next year.

Last edited by OgbertTheNerd: 09-05-2013 at 10:26 AM.
OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 11:46 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

[QUOTE=Stizzle;70799385]Yeah, ok dude. The guy doesn't do anything well anymore. He isn't bad at anything, either. He's just kind of there. Contrary to popular opinion he doesn't create any offense anymore. Also, he can't finish many of the prime scoring chances he is presented with. He does find open ice for scoring chances, just does nothing with it.

Unlike you, I've actually gone back and watched many games from last year. My eyes aren't deceiving me. He is a really low end NHL forward. Tale off your 2005 Gagne jersey and accept that it's 2013.[/QUOTE]

Who the **** are you to tell me what Ive watched and haven't? I've probably been watching the Flyers before you were born. Gagne is still a solid player and I think he could still pot 20 goals with this team while being a great mentor on the third line with Coots. He's also a better two way player than most of our forwards too, and he'll give our younger forwards another year to develop in the college/juniors/Europe.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Stizzle

[QUOTE=Heisenbergg;70803323]
Quote:

Unlike you, I've actually gone back and watched many games from last year. My eyes aren't deceiving me. He is a really low end NHL forward. Tale off your 2005 Gagne jersey and accept that it's 2013.[/QUOTE]

Who the **** are you to tell me what Ive watched and haven't? I've probably been watching the Flyers before you were born. Gagne is still a solid player and I think he could still pot 20 goals with this team while being a great mentor on the third line with Coots. He's also a better two way player than most of our forwards too, and he'll give our younger forwards another year to develop in the college/juniors/Europe.
Cool story, bro. Congrats on watching the Flyers before I was born. I'll mark Gagne down for 20 goals then.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
I've spent too much time in this thread reading peoples negative feelings on Gagne and I don't get where they're coming from. Were you guys watching the same games last year I was? Gagne was by no means an all-star out there, but he did pretty well all things considered. I agree, his injury history is concerning, but if he gets hurt then you can call up McGinn or whoever. Gagne can still play anywhere in the lineup and those claiming "he can't finish" pretty much all are referring to the one game where he played with Giroux and Vorecek.

Ok, that's my last post on the matter. Hope Gagne's back in the orange and black next year.
He played with G and Jake quite a lot at the end of the season. Not just 1 game.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:16 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

I don't see that happening either. We'll be lucky to get 30 points out of him. I still would like him on the team though. He's smart and plays good defense. And it's not like the offense is completely gone. 11 points in 27 games is fine for a third liner. Like you said, as long as the cap hit is reasonable, I have no problem with him coming back.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:

Lol...

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:36 AM
BillDineen

I do agree that we are discussing Gagne because of who he was. No one is endlessly discussing whether Brunner or Raymond will be invited to camp after all.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Qyburn

In the last full season, a total of 100 players in the NHL hit the 20 goal mark. That's 3.3 players per team, so a guy who might be able to put up those kind of numbers would certainly have value.

0/30 GMs have made an offer to Gagne.
0/30 GMs have invited Gagne to camp.
1/30 GMs have admitted to considering inviting him to camp, and we all know even that's just due to sentimentality.

Enough with the talk of 20 goals. It's silly. This guy's the Kimbo Slice of hockey now. It's like when Dana White had such a low opinion of him he said he'd only let him in if he trudged through TUF. Millions of internet fanboys thought Dana was wrong. He wasn't.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

vCash: 420
This debate is going to go on and on but i think with the right line mates and system he could put up 15-20.

If he is relegated to staying on a third/fourth line then obviously that production is not going to be there. This team is just to deep to put him in the top two lines though. I hope he gets invited to camp and looks like the younger Gagne...won't hold my breath.

I like him as a player but i don't want to keep him around for nostalgia, if he is at camp and doesnt play as well as Laughton, Straka, McGinn etc...he's got to go.

Edit: Also, some of the bashing on here is just skewed so much its not even funny. He can be a serviceable player, im kind of just shocked the amount of hate, the former face of our franchise is getting.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
Yeah I'm pretty shocked at some people's disgust for Gagne.

He looked like a decent third liner when he played last season. He didnt make dumb mistakes, he was solid defensively, and he still skates well.

If he makes the team, I won't be upset having him play with Couts and Read. They can really benefit from having a player like Gagne to work on getting the puck to, whether he tries to score with the puck or dish it back to them, he's definitely a player capable of making good decisions on the ice. I think that he's a great player to have in the locker room and certainly a player to have on the team come playoff time. He's still clutch.

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Broad Street Elite

I'm totally fine with the Flyers offering Gagne a PTO. If he can beat out McGinn, Laughton, Akeson and whomever else at camp, I'm more than happy to welcome him back.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'm totally fine with the Flyers offering Gagne a PTO. If he can beat out McGinn, Laughton, Akeson and whomever else at camp, I'm more than happy to welcome him back.
Exactly how I feel, if Gagne comes into camp and beats out the competition for that 3rd line LW I'm all for it. That being said I like how they've handled the situation so far (to our knowledge at least) because signing him guarantees him a spot in the lineup that might be more adequately filled by someone like McGinn.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
i'd rather go with Read-Couts-Laughton that would be a great two way line

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Take off your 2005 Gagne jersey and accept that it's 2013.
Ha ha...

Anyway..it's not really about hate from my perspective at least. I don't hate Gagne at all. However, I do dislike the Flyers recycling former Flyers who are essentially past due all the time.

I just don't understand the continued hype with the guy and the amount of deference he is receiving when in the last 3 years or so he hasn't shown much of anything. To me it just seems like nostalgia.

Moreover, what people should be excited about is this....

Quote:
Laughton, the Flyers’ first selection in the 2012 draft, has an outside chance to make the team. He is 19, so he is not AHL-eligible and figures to be sent back to juniors if he is not on the Flyers’ opening-night roster. Last season, he had 56 points (23 goals, 33 assists) and a plus-22 rating in 49 games with the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League.

Holmgren expects Laughton to push for a job at camp.

“I think we have to give him an opportunity to see how he does,” he said.

The camp will also feature the highly touted Cousins, 20, who finished third in the OHL with 103 points (27 goals, 76 assists) in 76 games last season.

Holmgren said if players stand out in practices and the rookie game against the Caps, “we’ll continue to take looks at them.”

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...Goev3l53LmP.99
...hey if Gagne can win his spot so be it. It's good that the Flyers are taking a wait and see noncommital approach with him...not that they have much choice until they can place Pronger on LTIR..but still.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Ha ha...

Anyway..it's not really about hate from my perspective at least. I don't hate Gagne at all. Just that I don't understand the continued hype with the guy and the amount of deference he is receiving when in the last 3 years or so he hasn't shown much of anything. To me it just seems like nostalgia.

Moreover, what people should be excited about is this...hey if Gagne can win his spot so be it. It's good that the Flyers are taking a wait and see noncommital approach with him...not that they don't have much choice until they can place Pronger on LTIR..but still.
Honestly, who does hate Gagne? I mean that from the perspective of any hockey fan. Anyways, I still think the idea of Laughton-Couts-Read as our 3rd line is easily the most intriguing and probably the most fun to watch line for the coming season.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Vinny-Simmonds
Laughton-Couts-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

I love Gagne, but he doesn't have the room here with his diministed skill level (he's still good, but no where near where he was before he left).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:46 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Gagne could pot 15 goals on the third line with Read and Couturier...I don't even think that's questionable..

Old
09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
To me it just seems like nostalgia.
That's all there is to it, really. If some of us are overreacting, it's merely out of frustration due to the fact that it couldn't be more simple or more obvious.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote