HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
OiledUp

vCash: 500
I really liked the MacT&Ales presser. Laying the cards on the table to avoid speculation that might steal focus and energy for the players heading into camp. Publicly showing the player you believe in him and making sure he's looking forward to the season. Very classy move by MacT.

I like that MacT seems to be dead set in building good relationships with the players. The team will certainly benefit from that. A player who feels respected will play better on the ice, will be more likely to buy in to what the coaches say and might take a home discount.
If rumour spreads that thís is a good org where they treat you right that'll make it easier signing FAs without overpaying too much.

I also like that he at the same time clearly points out that every player has to prove himself if he wants to play. Basically saying "if you're an Oiler we will treat you right and show you respect, but if you want to play you need to earn the right to do so".

Sure we may have our doubts about the point in keeping Ales the hockey player on the ice, but in the long run I think MacTs handling of this and other things like the Rajala buy out, Omark getting a last chance, Jones getting another shot etc will pay off. And hopefully Ales comes to camp with new energy and a feeling he has something to prove.

We have quite a few players with a chip on their shoulder this season. Ales obviously. Jones has a lot to prove this year. Eager and Omark with what might be their last shot at an NHL spot. Eberle after his anemic performance last year, the Olympics and his first season as a 6M player. Hall who has to prove last year wasn't a fluke, the Olympics and his first 6M season as well. RNH after las years failure and injuries. Gagner with his new contract. Belov and Grebs with 1 year show me deals. Schultz who ran out of gas last year. Dubnyk in a contract year, Potter trying to stay on the roster and so on.

Add to that a new and seemingly passionate coach and this should be an incredibly intense traing camp. Looking forward to it!

Old
09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Are you a prohpet?

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 32s: "Sometimes the best deals you make are the one's you don't make. When the team has had success Ales has been a part of it.' MacT"
I got more right than that, but I won't gloat.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
40oz

That was a good presser, I like what Mac said about eliminating the "young guys" and "old guys".

Old
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
At 5mil it isn't money well spent.
true, but if Hemsky is on the team after this season, it won't be for nearly that much

Old
09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Should have bought him out and kept Horcoff. I'm still cheering for Hemmer, but this reeks of favoring Katz's pockets over the welfare of this team. Same old, same old from our so-called saviour.
And if Katz bought out Hemsky and kept Horc, people would be saying it was because Horc was in tight with Katz/MacT and that the more talented player was bought out because he wasn't "an old boy".

Can't win.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:44 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
And if Katz bought out Hemsky and kept Horc, people would be saying it was because Horc was in tight with Katz/MacT and that the more talented player was bought out because he wasn't "an old boy".

Can't win.
Yep, if we had kept Horc instead how many times would the phrase "OLD BOYS CLUB" have surfaced on these boards?

Old
09-04-2013, 05:28 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
No one who actually followed Hemsky through his career would spout off against him. I think there are a few green bananas on here.
The warts are easy to point out. Anyone who has seen him play a hand full of games could tell you that.

Quote:
Should have bought him out and kept Horcoff. I'm still cheering for Hemmer, but this reeks of favoring Katz's pockets over the welfare of this team. Same old, same old from our so-called saviour.
Ya because he is in this as a get rich quick project..

Last edited by Soli: 09-04-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: I have no clue what you we're trying to get at there...
Old
09-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Didn't know where else to post this.

Quote:
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee 10m
Oiler asst coach Steve Smith tells us Belov is having some issues with his visa, so he'll miss the start of training camp.
It's never dull with the Oilers.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:00 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Bummer, I'm really excited too see Belov.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:04 PM
jbean

Am I the only one that thinks it is ridiculous to suggest that the moves made under MacT had anything to do with limiting Katz' expenses? MacT made hockey moves this summer, I have no reason to believe anything had to do with the financial side of the organization. We didn't spend to the cap in the past because there wasn't much reason to, unless we wanted to sign a terrible free agent (which they have tried to do again and again) and hurt the team's chances going forward. I'm not an Oilers (the organization) sympathizer in anyway, but please take off the tinfoil hats and stop suggesting this or that was done because the team is cheap.

Old
09-04-2013, 06:17 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Lol that has nothing to do with the oilers.

This happens sometimes in European soccer. It's not really a huge deal

Old
09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Usual_Suspect

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/ste...ks-camp-tryout

"Veteran NHL forward Anthony Stewart will be attending Sharks training camp next week on a professional tryout, a team source told CSNBayArea.com."

Old
09-04-2013, 07:09 PM
MIL OIL

vCash: 50
MacTavish And Hemsky Conference

Ales Hemsky will be returning for the oilers this year. Don't have to buy 2 new jerseys

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Pretty good interview towards the end. Makes for a interesting top 9 for sure baring no injury.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:59 PM
BowDangles

so now that we know Hemsky is sticking around, how do our line look?

Perron-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Lander/Anton-Jonesuu/Eager

Old
09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post

"Veteran NHL forward Anthony Stewart will be attending Sharks training camp next week on a professional tryout, a team source told CSNBayArea.com."
damn you! I started reading that and went "Oh nice! he's a good invite to possibly push for a 4th line role", and then I read the sharks part...

Old
09-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

Cool

Old
09-04-2013, 08:43 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
so now that we know Hemsky is sticking around, how do our line look?

Perron-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Lander/Acton-Jonesuu/Eager
Don't forget Brown as a #13 forward.

Also I think Ryan Hamilton will get a solid look as well... seems like an Eakins type of player and he knows him well.

If RNH wasn't healthy I think Arcobello might get another cup of coffee in a top 6 role until Hopkins comes back but it looks optimistically like he'll miss few if any games.

Old
09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
damn you! I started reading that and went "Oh nice! he's a good invite to possibly push for a 4th line role", and then I read the sharks part...
Yeah. I don't know why MacT thinks players won't accept invites due to insurance reasons when other teams seem to be using them.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Usual_Suspect

@TSNBobMcKenzie
"@andystrickland: Doug Armstrong hints STL will likely add D on PTO if Alex Pietrangelo remains unsigned."/Speculation is it's Ryan Whitney.

Old
09-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
"@andystrickland: Doug Armstrong hints STL will likely add D on PTO if Alex Pietrangelo remains unsigned."/Speculation is it's Ryan Whitney.
The NHL equivalent of patching a severed jugular with a band aid.

09-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
I think they would do better if they just subtracted a D

Old
09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
dnicks17

Why would you even tell the media that? Does Armstrong think STL fans will be relieved to hear that they're only potentially downgrading from Pietrangelo to Whitney? haha

"Sorry, sir. Your Ferrari isn't ready. Don't worry though. You can use this unicycle in the meantime."

Old
09-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
I really liked the MacT&Ales presser. Laying the cards on the table to avoid speculation that might steal focus and energy for the players heading into camp. Publicly showing the player you believe in him and making sure he's looking forward to the season. Very classy move by MacT.

I like that MacT seems to be dead set in building good relationships with the players. The team will certainly benefit from that. A player who feels respected will play better on the ice, will be more likely to buy in to what the coaches say and might take a home discount.
If rumour spreads that thís is a good org where they treat you right that'll make it easier signing FAs without overpaying too much.

I also like that he at the same time clearly points out that every player has to prove himself if he wants to play. Basically saying "if you're an Oiler we will treat you right and show you respect, but if you want to play you need to earn the right to do so".

Sure we may have our doubts about the point in keeping Ales the hockey player on the ice, but in the long run I think MacTs handling of this and other things like the Rajala buy out, Omark getting a last chance, Jones getting another shot etc will pay off. And hopefully Ales comes to camp with new energy and a feeling he has something to prove.

We have quite a few players with a chip on their shoulder this season. Ales obviously. Jones has a lot to prove this year. Eager and Omark with what might be their last shot at an NHL spot. Eberle after his anemic performance last year, the Olympics and his first season as a 6M player. Hall who has to prove last year wasn't a fluke, the Olympics and his first 6M season as well. RNH after las years failure and injuries. Gagner with his new contract. Belov and Grebs with 1 year show me deals. Schultz who ran out of gas last year. Dubnyk in a contract year, Potter trying to stay on the roster and so on.

Add to that a new and seemingly passionate coach and this should be an incredibly intense traing camp. Looking forward to it!
Having said that, he is gone if we get an offer for another area of need. No question.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:09 PM
SLURVE

If MacT had not spout off about trading Horcoff and Hemsky so often soon after becoming GM, they would not have needed this presser when the trade failed. It would saved a lot of spin doctoring.

Now, if Hemsky is going to be here for the year, then there was not much need to trade away PRV for Perron since Magnus was coming on strong late last season driving to the net with and without the puck and scoring. One more year of development under Eakins might be the good medicine going down. Instead, we have a 3rd line Hemsky making 5 million/yr. MacT might be a fine spin doctor but with this, he put the "F U" in SNAFU.

Last edited by SLURVE: 09-04-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
09-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
If MacT had not spout off about trading Horcoff and Hemsky so often soon after becoming GM, they would not have needed this presser when the trade failed. It would saved a lot of spin doctoring.

Now, if Hemsky is going to be here for the year, then there was not much need to trade away PRV for Perron since Magnus was coming on strong late last season driving to the net with and without the puck and scoring. One more year of development under Eakins might be the good medicine going down. Instead, we have a 3rd line Hemsky making 5 million/yr. MacT might be a fine spin doctor but with this, he put the "F U" in SNAFU.
Sooooo, you want Tambo back? I seriously enjoy the transparency that MacT has had. I'm sure there is a degree of learning happening, but its refreshing.

Closed Thread