HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke-President of Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames

Old
09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I wanted him as GM of the Oilers because he could clean house and get rid of Lowe and co.

If he gets rid of King and Feaster I think he could make some improvements. If not, him and Feaster (both stubborn) will be a complete train wreck.
If Feaster is made President that would be the greatest thing ever. Feaster vs Lowe, 2 once good GMs (Feaster in Tampa, Lowe 06) But who are now garbage and somehow president

In Toronto Burke made some great trades, however he had some vets with some good trade value in Beachmin, Kaberle (was still productive) and Stajan (had value surprisingly)

In Calgary he only has an ageing Cammy on a bad contract, Stemps and Gio. It will be interesting to see if he can make trades with those guys and get back Phanuef/Lupul/Gardiner level guys back.

Also wonder how much he has left. Hes been through 3 teams, 2 of which were rebuilds.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch
Burke will only take the job if he has total control. I could envision him having a puppet GM like KLowe did with Tambo. If this is the case, and the Flames land Burke, then they just leapfrogged ahead of the Oilers in the rebuild department. Burke is Bold, Impatient, capable of pulling off a trade, and most importantly in my mind - one of the best a drafting talent. The later of course is the Oilers biggest weakness outside the 1st pick overall.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Hopefully he trades 2 1sts and a 2nd for Gagner.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

The Lames have called a Press Conference, Re: Bryan Burke. Next step, trade a bunch of assets for Phil the Thrill.

From Twitter

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Flames call media conference for 10am Calgary time.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:27 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Burke will only take the job if he has total control. I could envision him having a puppet GM like KLowe did with Tambo. If this is the case, and the Flames land Burke, then they just leapfrogged ahead of the Oilers in the rebuild department. Burke is Bold, Impatient, capable of pulling off a trade, and most importantly in my mind - one of the best a drafting talent. The later of course is the Oilers biggest weakness outside the 1st pick overall.
Most of the current team was drafted by other teams or before his time.

And impatient is the absolute last thing the flames need. Just imagine if the bruins had Taylor Hall

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Brian Burke doesn't understand the concept of a rebuild. He'll probably deal away their first rounder for next to nothing.

And as long as the flames have a bunch of nobodies in net and pylons on the blue line they'll be finishing behind us for awhile.
Can't wait to see the boat load of excuses if they don't. Burke knows the league and Burke is the antithesis of what everyone hated about Tambo. He's not afraid to make 'bold' moves. The Flames are stronger as an org with him than without and that's bad for the Oilers.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:41 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Brian Burke doesn't understand the concept of a rebuild. He'll probably deal away their first rounder for next to nothing.

And as long as the flames have a bunch of nobodies in net and pylons on the blue line they'll be finishing behind us for awhile.
Burke has a long history of success as a GM, improved every team he went to by leaps and bounds. He also has his faults but at least he has a track record of success unlike MacT so i don't think Oiler fans should be tooting their horn about the Oilers finishing ahead of Calgary for years to come until the Oilers actually prove something for a change. As awful as the Flames were last season, the Oilers still BARELY finished ahead of them so lets not count our chickens before they hatch.
Burke is a huge improvement on Feaster which is bad for the Oilers.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:42 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Hiring Burke would be a great move for the Flames.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Can't wait to see the boat load of excuses if they don't. Burke knows the league and Burke is the antithesis of what everyone hated about Tambo. He's not afraid to make 'bold' moves. The Flames are stronger as an org with him than without and that's bad for the Oilers.
Sure, until he flips a 1st rounder, or two, for help now and then everyone in Calgary realizes what everyone outside of Calgary already knows.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
surshot*

And here i thought i could not hate the flamers any more then i did yesterday. **** those ****en douchbags!

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
This is dumb and self created lie, flat out.

Good for you and your praise of Burke, maybe spend some of that currently wasted money on them, might make you less angry.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

It could be a good thing for the Flames or it could be horrible. Is Burke being brought in so that they can skip the rebuild? Or is he brought in because King is an idiot and they can use another hockey mind to help with the rebuild?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Burke has a long history of success as a GM, improved every team he went to by leaps and bounds. He also has his faults but at least he has a track record of success unlike MacT so i don't think Oiler fans should be tooting their horn about the Oilers finishing ahead of Calgary for years to come until the Oilers actually prove something for a change. As awful as the Flames were last season, the Oilers still BARELY finished ahead of them so lets not count our chickens before they hatch.
Burke is a huge improvement on Feaster which is bad for the Oilers.
Lest we forget the leafs were a floundering team under him and he left the Ducks in a mess.

Also something everyone around here seems to assume is that he will be the GM. Feaster is still the captain of this ship, and no matter how good his commanding officer might be, feaster is still the one driving the boat into a sea of icebergs.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:59 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We finished ahead of the flames in spite of Wiggums coaching. The flames are also icing a bunch of rookies with the worst center depth in the league. They will be like us circa 2011.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Burke drafted one guy in Toronto that has played in the NHL. Not good for 4 years of drafting.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
worraps
Acceptance

I love this hire as an Oilers fan.

Burke has his strong points but he is exactly the wrong person to put in charge of a scorched earth rebuild.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:17 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I've read a few outlets reporting that the position isn't just being head of the hockey ops, but it's being head of the football and lacrosse operations as well.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I've read a few outlets reporting that the position isn't just being head of the hockey ops, but it's being head of the football and lacrosse operations as well.
So busy work roles until they can find the best spot to fire Feaster(or demote him) and let Burkie take over. Nice.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So busy work roles until they can find the best spot to fire Feaster(or demote him) and let Burkie take over. Nice.
Maybe his arrogance will run the Stamps back into the ground too.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:35 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Lest we forget the leafs were a floundering team under him and he left the Ducks in a mess.

Also something everyone around here seems to assume is that he will be the GM. Feaster is still the captain of this ship, and no matter how good his commanding officer might be, feaster is still the one driving the boat into a sea of icebergs.
The Leafs were an even bigger mess before he took over. They now have a solid base with mainly his players.
The Canucks core that became a cup contender is made up of a lot of his players.
He brought the Ducks from playoff contender to cup champion.
Feaster will be a lame duck if Burke is brought in in another capacity similar to Tambo when MacT was brought back.

I don't know if he's the perfect fit for a rebuilding team like the Flames but the guy has a very successful resume and i think it's kind of odd that some of you talk about the Oilers finishing ahead of the Flames for years to come when the Oilers having accomplished anything and hired a GM with no experience whatsoever.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
The Leafs were an even bigger mess before he took over. They now have a solid base with mainly his players.
The Canucks core that became a cup contender is made up of a lot of his players.
He brought the Ducks from playoff contender to cup champion.
Feaster will be a lame duck if Burke is brought in in another capacity similar to Tambo when MacT was brought back.

I don't know if he's the perfect fit for a rebuilding team like the Flames but the guy has a very successful resume and i think it's kind of odd that some of you talk about the Oilers finishing ahead of the Flames for years to come when the Oilers having accomplished anything and hired a GM with no experience whatsoever.
Feaster has just as many rings as Burke and people here were worried when he was brought in.

The leafs bottomed out in his first year, gradually improving until they finally made the playoffs. Many of the ducks core players were acquired prior to the Burke regime. He set up the Canucks nicely but could never find a goalie, which incidentally is calgary's biggest weakness at the moment.

The fact that more oiler fans are praising this than flame fans is both puzzling and amusing.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:45 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Feaster has just as many rings as Burke and people here were worried when he was brought in.

The leafs bottomed out in his first year, gradually improving until they finally made the playoffs. Many of the ducks core players were acquired prior to the Burke regime. He set up the Canucks nicely but could never find a goalie, which incidentally is calgary's biggest weakness at the moment.

The fact that more oiler fans are praising this than flame fans is both puzzling and amusing.
I'm not saying that Burke is without faults but he's a good GM. Again, i don't know if it's the right time for the Flames to bring in a guy like Burke considering where they are in the rebuild process but he has shown the ability to build from very little to contender.

Maybe Oiler fans are praising him because he's better than any GM that we've had since Slats.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacious View Post
And here i thought i could not hate the flamers any more then i did yesterday. **** those ****en douchbags!
Thats what I love about this move. I can hate on the Flames even more. Every victory against them will be that much sweeter. This guarantees that I won't feel sorry for the Flames during their rebuild.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacious View Post
All we need now is for them to hire someone like Viegnault as coach.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:49 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I'm not saying that Burke is without faults but he's a good GM. Again, i don't know if it's the right time for the Flames to bring in a guy like Burke considering where they are in the rebuild process but he has shown the ability to build from very little to contender.

Maybe Oiler fans are praising him because he's better than any GM that we've had since Slats.
The Canucks he did. The ducks are up and down and the leafs aren't there yet.

Also he's not going to be the GM. At least not at this moment. Feaster is still the GM and fwiw, I think he's done a decent job this summer.

He might call some shots but its still feaster picking up the phone at the end of the day.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Sure, until he flips a 1st rounder, or two, for help now and then everyone in Calgary realizes what everyone outside of Calgary already knows.
Which is what? That he is a respected NHL front off ice guy that can get deals done? He's had hits and misses but he's a smart guy that is not afraid to make that bold move that our current gm talked about.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote