HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Hemsky is on the second line ahead of Yakupov.
Then that's more reason to dump Hemsky for scraps. In no universe should we be risking the development of a 1st overall pick for an injury prone pending UFA.

Old
09-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Then prepared to be surprised, no way Hemsky is ahead of Yakupov in any measure on this team.
Different roles, though. I'd not be surprised in Hemsky logged more ES TOI than Yak and faced tougher matchups in the process.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

There will be times when Hemsky is ahead of Yakupov or Eberle or both. If neither guy is playing as well as Hemsky, which is definitely possible, or if lines are not clicking, then they will be moved around. That is a good thing.

If these guys are as good as we want them to be, they need to be able to play themselves out of slumps, which doesn't just involve placing them in the best position (playing with Hall).

Old
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Before the extension it's pretty clear he would have.

Also, I think it's a "good move" by Mac-T just simply to keep Hemsky from having to constantly answer questions related to a possible move. Getting ahead of things, smart, imo.
Dont see how it's clear he had any value. Coming off frequent injuries, not having produce any significant numbers in years. Penner had value because of his size and the fact he was putting up 30 goals.

Mac-t having to clear up the situation with this conference is only needed because of his earlier conference where he came out and said he was going to try and move Hemsky and Horcoff. He got nothing for Horc and couldnt find a taker for Hemmer. This is not a success for MacT. The only mistake Tambo made was resigning Hemsky to the $5 million per season deal. If he let him go to free agency he would have went cheaper.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
And Rishaug has said there were deals (or a deal) to move Hemsky for a young (possibly roster player) and a high pick and Tambo dithered. There's NO way he hasn't had value for 3 years, that's just dumb. Look at Penner.
Penner was playing like at top line power forward that has 30 goals the year before and was on pace for another 30.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Penner was playing like at top line power forward that has 30 goals the year before and was on pace for another 30.
True, but Hemsky was nearly a point per game that season, so yeah I'm more inclined to assume dithering.

Hemsky also had one year left at a reasonable number.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Different roles, though. I'd not be surprised in Hemsky logged more ES TOI than Yak and faced tougher matchups in the process.
That would be a massive waste.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Then prepared to be surprised, no way Hemsky is ahead of Yakupov in any measure on this team.
We all love Yak. But that's a bit of an exaggeration. He's played half a year in the NHL. He needs to work on his defence and he has to be sheltered for a while longer. Experience counts for something. At least if you're after the playoffs and not #1 OV draft picks.

Yak will be the better player, obviously, but he has to earn it, IMO. And he will. I think that the player who is performing the best should get the ice time. He's a young guy in his second (first full) season. There will be times that he looks like Ovie and times that he looks like Schremp. That's what happens to young players. Its not straight line progression.

Also, he has to learn to play with a target on his back. That's not easy. It won't hurt to have Hemsky there to eat some of the hard minutes while he figures out how to go super nova.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:25 AM
joestevens29

I also question the whole Rishaug thing. When we were dealing for Smithson everyone was involved in the talks. How Hemsky for Forsberg would be let not to happen I just can't see.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Petro Points

Klefbom mentioned in his interview that he trained with Marcus Johanson during the summer. MoJo seems to be the odd man out of WSH and contract talks seem to be going no where.

Might be a good acquisition especially if RNH is going to miss a couple weeks of action.

Cost should not ne too high..

Bottom 6 of:
Lander/Omark-Johansson-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Not sure what the cost would be.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
That would be a massive waste.
Why? Yak, god love him, is pretty raw on the defensive side of things. Is he ready to take on tougher competition and zone starts and still produce? If so, great. If not, why put him in a position where he'd struggle?

Old
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
True, but Hemsky was nearly a point per game that season, so yeah I'm more inclined to assume dithering.

Hemsky also had one year left at a reasonable number.
What season, not the one that Rishaug was talking about. The one he was a PPG he was coming off major shoulder surgery that only allowed him to play 22 games the year before. The year he had the point per game he also sustained Leg injury, concussion, a groin injury.

Just don't see what kind of value we would've got out of him.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Klefbom mentioned in his interview that he trained with Marcus Johanson during the summer. MoJo seems to be the odd man out of WSH and contract talks seem to be going no where.

Might be a good acquisition especially if RNH is going to miss a couple weeks of action.

Cost should not ne too high..

Bottom 6 of:
Lander/Omark-Johansson-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Not sure what the cost would be.
Mojo was converted to winger, not sure they need to move him.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:33 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think you may getting ahead of yourself here. Yakupov, even at the end of last season was very bouncy with the puck, making quite a few bad passes in all zones, etc. He has a bit of work to do to beat out Hemsky for that 2nd line RW spot.

You have to remember Hemsky has a lot to prove this year, I doubt he's just going to roll over and "accept" his 3rd line RW role.

I know everyone here has a crystal ball, I'm just saying you may be getting ahead of yourself penciling, in ink Yakupov into that 2RW spot.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:33 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Why? Yak, god love him, is pretty raw on the defensive side of things. Is he ready to take on tougher competition and zone starts and still produce? If so, great. If not, why put him in a position where he'd struggle?
He did well to finish the year, so I don't see why they wouldn't give him the chance to start the year there.

I also wonder how Eakins is going to take to Hemsky being the last guy on first guy off in practice. Seems like it goes against Eakins whole work ethic that has been talked about.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM
ponokanocker

Having Hemsky for this year will be a good thing. There is no way our other top 4 wingers will be healthy for a for season, so when they go down, we already have one to fill the void rather than someone like Jones or Smyth. I'm not sure what happens after this season though.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
shogun99

I'm fine with a checking line of Smyth/Jones-Gordon-Hemsky. Let Hall-Gagner-Eberle take on the other teams best checking line leaving Perron-RNH-Yakupov with the easier matchups.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
He's got a significantly larger compete level and if this team is going to "push the pace" I see Yakupov being more suited to that then Hemsky.

The reigns were put on Yakupov pretty heavily last year, so I feel we really don't know what this player is defensive yet. Will he make mistakes? Hell yes, young players do that. Can he do extremely dynamic things and change the game a bit? Hell yes he can.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
He did well to finish the year, so I don't see why they wouldn't give him the chance to start the year there.

I also wonder how Eakins is going to take to Hemsky being the last guy on first guy off in practice. Seems like it goes against Eakins whole work ethic that has been talked about.
I wonder how much of that is actually true.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:44 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
We all love Yak. But that's a bit of an exaggeration. He's played half a year in the NHL. He needs to work on his defence and he has to be sheltered for a while longer. Experience counts for something. At least if you're after the playoffs and not #1 OV draft picks.

Yak will be the better player, obviously, but he has to earn it, IMO. And he will. I think that the player who is performing the best should get the ice time. He's a young guy in his second (first full) season. There will be times that he looks like Ovie and times that he looks like Schremp. That's what happens to young players. Its not straight line progression.

Also, he has to learn to play with a target on his back. That's not easy. It won't hurt to have Hemsky there to eat some of the hard minutes while he figures out how to go super nova.
This X 100

Hemsky is still a very skilled hockey player good enough to fit in the top 6. The only knock on him is whether he can stay healthy and whether or not he wants to put in 100% effort. If Hemsky is firing on all cylinders, I'd say he is a better option than Yak on the 2nd line RW at this point. That obviously could change if Yak can learn to take passes better, play better in D zone and stop the giveaways.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:49 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Considering it's talked about all the time and not once has someone that's been there and stepped up and said that isn't true, I'd say it's quite true.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
joestevens29

Playing tougher competition Yak was a +7 in April, worse competition he was -4(Jan), -5(feb), -2(Mar).

Points also went from 5, 6, 5 to 15 points.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Considering it's talked about all the time and not once has someone that's been there and stepped up and said that isn't true, I'd say it's quite true.
There have been qualifications like he had to go to the trainers room to get work on rehabing injuries and things like that but yeah, nobody has questioned it.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
There have been qualifications like he had to go to the trainers room to get work on rehabing injuries and things like that but yeah, nobody has questioned it.
The fact that it gets brought up by Gregor, Spec,Rishaug and Brownlee all the time leads me to believe it's true. It's not like one guy is saying it.

Old
09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
I'll always remember Bob Stauffer's defense of Hemsky in that regard:

"Certain fan favorites have a lot more to answer to about their practice habits than Hemsky does" - or some paraphrase to that effect.

Closed Thread