HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke-President of Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
  #51
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 50
My boss sat next to him on his flight to Calgary. He couldn't confirm what his position would be, but he will be with the Flames in some way.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:01 AM
  #52
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The Canucks he did. The ducks are up and down and the leafs aren't there yet.

Also he's not going to be the GM. At least not at this moment. Feaster is still the GM and fwiw, I think he's done a decent job this summer.

He might call some shots but its still feaster picking up the phone at the end of the day.
Do you really believe that?

Burke isn't going there to be some figurehead. He's going to have major input on personnel decisions similar to Lowe here and MacT before Tambo was canned and if there are some missteps in the rebuild (very likely), Feaster will be on a one way ticket out of town.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
  #53
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Hard to believe Burke (now or any point in his career) would accept some kind of "figurehead" position.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
  #54
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,547
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Which is what? That he is a respected NHL front off ice guy that can get deals done? He's had hits and misses but he's a smart guy that is not afraid to make that bold move that our current gm talked about.
The Current GM traded Shawn Horcoff (and his entire contract) for an actual Return, you know not a buyout, but got value for the valueless.

Burke is a blow hard, who blows very hard. When he had 2 HHOF defenseman he looked like the smartest man in hockey, when he didn't, he ran the Leafs in some direction-ish.

The Flames are where the Oilers were, only they look quite poised to wander that desert for alot longer.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
  #55
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Do you really believe that?

Burke isn't going there to be some figurehead. He's going to have major input on personnel decisions similar to Lowe here and MacT before Tambo was canned and if there are some missteps in the rebuild (very likely), Feaster will be on a one way ticket out of town.
I don't doubt that. I wouldn't even be surprised if he took the reigns at some point. But if Burke doesn't understand that this is a process, then the flames are going to be right back where they started. People point to his tenure with the leafs, but it still took them a number of years just to make the playoffs. And they're not a lock this year by any stretch.

I think Burke is the right man to GM this team when they are a little further down the road. They need to sit back and collect good young talent for now, something they haven't had in a very long time.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
  #56
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,232
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I don't doubt that. I wouldn't even be surprised if he took the reigns at some point. But if Burke doesn't understand that this is a process, then the flames are going to be right back where they started. People point to his tenure with the leafs, but it still took them a number of years just to make the playoffs. And they're not a lock this year by any stretch.

I think Burke is the right man to GM this team when they are a little further down the road. They need to sit back and collect good young talent for now, something they haven't had in a very long time.
The one thing Burke could do well without impacting the team in any sort of negative fashion is going to the NCAA/Europe. Burke has been pretty good about getting guys to sign in Toronto.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:47 AM
  #57
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Which is what? That he is a respected NHL front off ice guy that can get deals done? He's had hits and misses but he's a smart guy that is not afraid to make that bold move that our current gm talked about.
Bold moves during a rebuild, especially at the start, is a horrible idea.

What bold moves can he make with the current roster?

Trades:
-Trade picks- dumb and backfired
-Trade young talent- dumb and high chance of backfire
-Trade vets like cammy- less dumb but less risky and less chance of messing up. Burke was success at trading vets.
-Trade fro reclamation projects- risky if you get stuck with bad contracts. If not not taking on a big contract, the pay off is likely low

FAs
-Sign overpaid FAs to large contracts to come play on a bottom feeder. May work out, but hinders their ability to sign young talent in the futue
-Sign average FAs in hopes they improve. Sounds sweet, but difficult, and Burke has shown he cant do this.

Bold moves should only be made for teams with an established core, but needing some tweeks.A bold move would have been trading our 2013 1st or 2014 1st before those draft years. Because we could have afforded to take the risk in order to get other pieces to compliment Hall/RNH/Ebs. A doumb bold move would have been to trade our 2010-12 picks or trading those young guys we drafted for established players. Bold moves during a rebuild is prone to backfires. So yes, go ahead and make bold moves.

If the Oilers traded Eberle for MSL after his rookie season that would have been a bold move, and we might have made the playoffs this year if we had. But is it good for the long term? no

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
  #58
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,627
vCash: 50
So when will Feaster get canned so Burke can take over GM duties?

I don't think Feaster gets another year.

This could be a fun year.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
  #59
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Current GM traded Shawn Horcoff (and his entire contract) for an actual Return, you know not a buyout, but got value for the valueless.

Burke is a blow hard, who blows very hard. When he had 2 HHOF defenseman he looked like the smartest man in hockey, when he didn't, he ran the Leafs in some direction-ish.

The Flames are where the Oilers were, only they look quite poised to wander that desert for alot longer.
Depends what they do with free agents and trades. The Oilers' pro scouting staff is about as bad it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
So when will Feaster get canned so Burke can take over GM duties?

I don't think Feaster gets another year.

This could be a fun year.
Feaster will be gone at the end of the year or sooner IMO.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
  #60
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,994
vCash: 500
It does seem strange that a Feaster/Burke management team would be allowed to reign over a scorched earth rebuild when there have been no two manager types more vocal about how they don't like scortched earth rebuilds.

Watch them attempt "hockey trades" to get better now. Four more years of Matt Stajan as their #1C.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
  #61
Calgary Oilers
Registered User
 
Calgary Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 50
President of Hockey Operations with Fat Jay reporting to him. Burke will report to Ken King.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
  #62
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,232
vCash: 50
Is Feaster even the problem? I mean the guy has had a major screw up, but isn't he just more in a bad situation being in a big market/Canadian City where they want success? Seems like the higher ups are the ones that have let things go on for too long and that Feaster will just be the scapegoat.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:13 AM
  #63
Zap Brannigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
Calgary is going to be really really bad for a long time. analytic driven general manager reporting to an anti-analytic dinosaur whos biggest accomplishment in hockey is taking the credit for another guys work.

This is going to be excellent

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:13 AM
  #64
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,978
vCash: 500
Looks like TSN dropped the ball as far as showing the PC on the web.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:14 AM
  #65
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Burke gets things done. HE has been away from the canucks for 8 years or so and his influence on the team is still felt. Maple leafs are a better team now then when he took over and he won a cup with the ducks. Lowe's rings are as a player and not a manager

I would take Burke over Mact and Lowe in a heartbeat
I think MacT is a smart man but Lowe is another story.

So the decision between Burke and Lowe is obvious. Despite the fact that Lowe tries to smoke screen everyone...what he did as a player is irrelevant. I guess when you make as many stupid decisions as Lowe has made then any misdirection will do. Apparently Lowe has been hit in the head with a few too many pucks in his playing days.

I would take Burke in a heartbeat over Katzs bosom buddy in an upper management role.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:16 AM
  #66
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Listening in, it really sounds like they want to speed up the rebuild. Not a good thing depending on their philosophies

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  #67
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Listening in, it really sounds like they want to speed up the rebuild. Not a good thing depending on their philosophies
Why...because the only way to do a rebuild is to use the 7 year plan like the Oilers?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:21 AM
  #68
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
We're going to need a gif for Burke and Feaster. I suggest Dink and Doink from WWF.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:25 AM
  #69
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Why...because the only way to do a rebuild is to use the 7 year plan like the Oilers?
Because then they'll end up back in 9th place for X number of years. Unless that's what the Flames and their fans want...

After all, it was their refusal to build through the draft that got them here in the first place. The Flames for years always looked for the quick fix whether it was Jokinen or Bouwmeester or Wideman. There is no quick fix.

Look at their depth chart and tell me they don't have more holes than we did in 2011.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
  #70
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,798
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Because then they'll end up back in 9th place for X number of years. Unless that's what the Flames and their fans want...

After all, it was their refusal to build through the draft that got them here in the first place. The Flames for years always looked for the quick fix whether it was Jokinen or Bouwmeester or Wideman. There is no quick fix.

Look at their depth chart and tell me they don't have more holes than we did in 2011.
We shall see how it works out. They are in much better shape than the Oilers were before Hall and Eberle were drafted.
If I am a betting man I would take Burkes plan for success over any plan Lowe concocted.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
  #71
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
We shall see how it works out. They are in much better shape than the Oilers were before Hall and Eberle were drafted.
If I am a betting man I would take Burkes plan for success over any plan Lowe concocted.
Except they don't have a goaltender. Burke builds from the net out and when's the last time he had a good goalie? Giguere?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:31 AM
  #72
Zap Brannigan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
Burkes plan for success is putting together a team that gets miserably outshot at even strength?

sounds like a plan for success as we have clearly seen here.

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:32 AM
  #73
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Listening in, it really sounds like they want to speed up the rebuild. Not a good thing depending on their philosophies
some team is going to get very lucky trading with the flames...that 1st rd. pick has just become available.

so much fun now. Burke and CGY.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:34 AM
  #74
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Listening in, it really sounds like they want to speed up the rebuild. Not a good thing depending on their philosophies

Feaster said a few months ago that the owner expected them to make the playoffs this year. It wasn't a rebuild.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:35 AM
  #75
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,232
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
We shall see how it works out. They are in much better shape than the Oilers were before Hall and Eberle were drafted.
If I am a betting man I would take Burkes plan for success over any plan Lowe concocted.
In hindsight we look like crap, but at the time we had a lot of decent prospects they just didn't pan out. Not sure why CGY all of sudden with their group of prospects is such a shoe in to be any better.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.