HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan

Old
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I think it lessens his chances of coming to Philly. In Anaheim, I didn't get the sense that they were gonna give him the contract he was looking for. With the assets Ottawa gave up for him, I expect them to give him a contract offer for the type of money and term he wants. So it really boils down to whether Ryan really wanting to come to Philly. That's something that no one can answer but him.
I agree, in fact, I expect Ottawa will start talking extension with Ryan at some point this season rather than wait until his contract runs out, they have done it before with players they want to keep. Unless Philly is willing to give up two 1sts, Vorachek & Simmons or something crazy along those lines. Ottawa knows Philly wants Ryan & they would make them pay big time to get him.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 08:58 AM
ScottyGreene
The other guys

If Ottawa can't re-sign Bobby Ryan next off-season he'll be traded to a team that can.

There's absolutely no chance of Murray letting Ryan hit UFA without getting something valuable in return.

ScottyGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
If Ottawa can't re-sign Bobby Ryan next off-season he'll be traded to a team that can.

There's absolutely no chance of Murray letting Ryan hit UFA without getting something valuable in return.
Even if they are in playoff contention? Why would the Sens trade a top line winger if they are going for the Cup?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:15 AM
ScottyGreene
The other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Even if they are in playoff contention? Why would the Sens trade a top line winger if they are going for the Cup?
We won't move him at the trade deadline. I said off-season.

He'll play out the duration of this season; play-offs included, and if he doesn't want to re-sign with Ottawa then we'll trade him during the off-season to recoup some of the assets we lost in the initial deal.

Trading away a 22 year old 20-30 goal-scorer, a promising offensive prospect and a 1st round draft pick for a 2-year 'rental' would be a disaster from a managerial perspective.

The media would eat Murray alive.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
We won't move him at the trade deadline. I said off-season.

He'll play out the duration of this season; play-offs included, and if he doesn't want to re-sign with Ottawa then we'll trade him during the off-season to recoup some of the assets we lost in the initial deal.

Trading away a 22 year old 20-30 goal-scorer, a promising offensive prospect and a 1st round draft pick for a 2-year 'rental' would be a disaster from a managerial perspective.

The media would eat Murray alive.
Which offseason? If you wait until the 2015 offseason when he's a pending UFA then you are only trading his negotiating rights, you won't get anything close to what you gave up for him. If you are trading him next offseason, then you are still only trading a 1 year rental player which will still net you less return than what you gave up for him plus hurt your chances the following season. As a team coming off multiple playoff runs and that is supposedly on the upswing, that would be seen as taking a step back and Murray would get even more heat from the media than keeping him.

I don't think the Sens have much choice except to let him play out his 2 years and hope for the best and try to re-sign him in the meantime. If they can't get a deal done then you might be able to get a team to throw a draft pick your way for his rights but I can't envision a scenario where they trade him and get significant assets in return.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 10:44 AM
ScottyGreene
The other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Which offseason? If you wait until the 2015 offseason when he's a pending UFA then you are only trading his negotiating rights, you won't get anything close to what you gave up for him. If you are trading him next offseason, then you are still only trading a 1 year rental player which will still net you less return than what you gave up for him plus hurt your chances the following season. As a team coming off multiple playoff runs and that is supposedly on the upswing, that would be seen as taking a step back and Murray would get even more heat from the media than keeping him.

I don't think the Sens have much choice except to let him play out his 2 years and hope for the best and try to re-sign him in the meantime. If they can't get a deal done then you might be able to get a team to throw a draft pick your way for his rights but I can't envision a scenario where they trade him and get significant assets in return.
2013/2014.

If Murray traded away a future 20+ goal scorer, a top prospect and a 1st round pick for a player that had no intentions of staying long-term that's a step backwards in itself.

There's no way Murray let's Ryan walk away without getting something in return. Losing Alfie+Ryan+Silfverberg+Noesen+a 1st round pick in 2 years would likely get him fired.

That being said, if Bobby won't re-sign with us next off-season there's no chance of him playing out that 2nd year in a Sens jersey.

Last edited by ScottyGreene: 08-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old
08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
people are in for a major letdown when and if he isnt here in 2 years. Some act like its our ****ing birthright to have the the guy signed in 2 seasons.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Ilya Bryzastor

He didn't like it in Anaheim it felt like, but him being a Flyer depends on a few things , how successful he is with the Senators , how much the Senators are willing to pay him , or if the team makes consecutive deep playoff runs. There is a small chance he signs with the Flyers in 2-3 years , but I do think 10 years from now he'll eventually sign with the Flyers.

Ilya Bryzastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Damaged Goods

The Senators have a pretty austere internal cap (Melnyk claims this is why they couldn't keep Alfredsson and acquire Ryan). Failure to spend competitively could make Ottawa less attractive to Ryan.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The Senators have a pretty austere internal cap (Melnyk claims this is why they couldn't keep Alfredsson and acquire Ryan). Failure to spend competitively could make Ottawa less attractive to Ryan.
Maybe if he wasn't spending money on forensic teams, he wouldn't have an internal cap.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Ott- Ryan 51 (Spezza, Karlsson)

This box score from next April says he's having way too much fun to leave.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:52 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

Why did you bump this thread exactly? Btw, Ryan is not going to score 50 next year, or ever.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Do you seriously believe a guy who hasn't ever scored more than 35 goals is automatically going to score 50+? It's not like he was playing with slouches in Anaheim, you know.

09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Do you seriously believe a guy who hasn't ever scored more than 35 goals is automatically going to score 50+? It's not like he was playing with slouches in Anaheim, you know.
As long as he plays with Zibanejad, he's a lock for the Richard Trophy. Right?

Old
09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

Only in EA NHL 14 bud.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

lol, easy fellas, just goofing around.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
PALE PWNR

Ryan's #'s going to go down in Ott. Spezza is going to get hurt as usual and Turris is going to be his Center then. Besides, Getzlaf is a better playmaker then both.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I was skeptical about him coming here now that he's in Ottawa and felt that his comments from that article with Miller last year were looked into far too much, but I read on twitter a month or so ago he's glad to come to the East so he can play against Giroux and the Flyers. He brought up Giroux and the Flyers without even being asked about it which shows you clearly he has the Flyers on his mind. Hopefully he does come here when hes a UFA though because he would be great for us. It seems he brings the Flyers up any chance he gets

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Devonator

Well I think it is very likely that in 2 years time he will be a Flyer...and just in his prime years also! I think the Sens should enjoy him for 2 years and hope they can make a serious cup run with him because I think Sen fans deep down know Bobby is not staying there......

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:25 AM
GingerFetish

We'll sign him when he's 40.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Prongo
Beer

Ottawa better figure out its finances before even thinking about offering him a contract extension. They can't even get Cowen signed right now because they are over their internal budget. It's a shame too, a team with that fan base and following should be able to spend to the limit every year.

I'm on my phone and don't know what their roster looks like two years from now besides a few players I know they have signed. They might have money for him, but if they aren't a playoff team he probably won't want to resign with them. Maybe at the draft they will trade for him, or even next years trade deadline.

I think this year at the draft Homer makes a big trade for a defenseman nobody sees coming. Who that is, I really don't know, but the trend has been the host team makes a trade, lets see if homer follows

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Ryan's #'s going to go down in Ott. Spezza is going to get hurt as usual and Turris is going to be his Center then. Besides, Getzlaf is a better playmaker then both.
Spezza 611 228 393 621 +80
Getzlaf 556 152 369 521 +81

Getzlaf PPG = 0.93
Spezza PPG = 1.01

Getzlaf Assists/G = 0.64
Spezza Assists/G = 0.66

if Ryan's numbers go down playing with Spezza it will be the first time anyone's numbers have gone down playing with Spezza.
That includes Heatley and Michalek who both had by far their best years with Spezza and both of those guys played with Joe Thornton as well.
Spezza is a dominant playmaker.

you are possibly right about the injuries though, however if he's healthy i believe Ryan puts up career numbers and breaks 40.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If Bobby Ryan is overrated and his stats are inflated playing with Getz, then I guess Voracek is as well playing with Giroux. He never put up numbers like he did last year until he started playing with Giroux. Trade the bum!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:02 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If Bobby Ryan is overrated and his stats are inflated playing with Getz, then I guess Voracek is as well playing with Giroux. He never put up numbers like he did last year until he started playing with Giroux. Trade the bum!
I don't think anyone's making the claim that Ryan's numbers were inflated because of who he played with in Anaheim. The claim is that he's not going to suddenly score 10-15 more goals a year and become a fifty goal guy because he now gets to play with Spezza.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
laundryman

I think if Ottawa solidifies itself as a top 4 team in the east for the next 2 years Ryan stays. If they struggle and don't make a good playoff run I could see Ryan going somewhere else in free agency. It would be nice if it were Philly, but it's hard to say at this point.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote