HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan

Old
09-05-2013, 12:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I don't think anyone's making the claim that Ryan's numbers were inflated because of who he played with in Anaheim. The claim is that he's not going to suddenly score 10-15 more goals a year and become a fifty goal guy because he now gets to play with Spezza.
Page one someone calls him the most overrated player on these boards. In prior threads that has been the go to topic (i.e. Bobby Ryan is overrated because he is a local boy). People's desire for him to play here because he is local may be a factor in the constant Bobby Ryan talk, but I don't think he is overrated. Like I said, if Bobby Ryan is overrated, then Jake Voracek is equally (if not more so) overrated. Yes Ryan played with good linemates, but that doesn't cancel out his stats entirely. He didn't score all those goals by accident or simply because Getzlaf was passing him the puck. As a similar comparison, if Ryan is only Ryan because he played with Getz/Perry, then John LeClair is only John LeClair because he played with Lindross.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 12:40 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Page one someone calls him the most overrated player on these boards. In prior threads that has been the go to topic (i.e. Bobby Ryan is overrated because he is a local boy). People's desire for him to play here because he is local may be a factor in the constant Bobby Ryan talk, but I don't think he is overrated. Like I said, if Bobby Ryan is overrated, then Jake Voracek is equally (if not more so) overrated. Yes Ryan played with good linemates, but that doesn't cancel out his stats entirely. He didn't score all those goals by accident or simply because Getzlaf was passing him the puck. As a similar comparison, if Ryan is only Ryan because he played with Getz/Perry, then John LeClair is only John LeClair because he played with Lindross.
I didn't read the entire thread, I just started from where the Ottawa fan bumped it. I actually think Bobby Ryan is fairly rated around here. He's a consistent thirty goal scorer, but I wouldn't consider him elite. I only made the point because some people seem to be convinced that Ryan is going to somehow turn into a 40-50 goal scorer in Ottawa. If he didn't do it playing under B. Boudreau's all offense system with great players around him, then he's certainly not going to do it playing in Ottawa on Spezza's wing.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Ottawa better figure out its finances before even thinking about offering him a contract extension. They can't even get Cowen signed right now because they are over their internal budget. It's a shame too, a team with that fan base and following should be able to spend to the limit every year.

I'm on my phone and don't know what their roster looks like two years from now besides a few players I know they have signed. They might have money for him, but if they aren't a playoff team he probably won't want to resign with them. Maybe at the draft they will trade for him, or even next years trade deadline.

I think this year at the draft Homer makes a big trade for a defenseman nobody sees coming. Who that is, I really don't know, but the trend has been the host team makes a trade, lets see if homer follows
You mean the same fan base that gets cheered out of their own stadium by other teams fans? They are easily the weakest fan base of the Canadian teams.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:10 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
You mean the same fan base that gets cheered out of their own stadium by other teams fans? They are easily the weakest fan base of the Canadian teams.
That's pretty unfair to Ottawa. When compared to other Canadian fanbases, they're still in their infancy. Like the Devils, they only really have first generation fans, and they're competing with more established fanbases in their area. I'm sure some of the Canadian fans on this board could expand upon this, but I think Ottawa is a city that has a lot of transients as well. A lot of people are their for work, as it's the capital of the country. That could partially explain why their games get invaded by Toronto and Montreal fans.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 02:33 PM
MP92

vCash: 500
Yeah I don't think he's overrated but he is talked about way too much here imo. Im a fan of his as well but I could see why someone would think our fanbase overrates him by the amount of times his name is brought up here. It gets kind of annoying to be honest.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote