HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 09:07 AM
jnthomas

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
What? There were very few dmen better than Markov in the year 2009. If he'd been on the Caps or Pens that year he could have been the first dman to break 90 points in a long time.
Yeah my bad, thought it was the year he got his foot cut off. Yeah, it was Markov and Price that made sense for the all star. Price's play did drop dramatically after though. There was a lot of concern that he had come back from injury too soon to play in the all star.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So, in Boston, Carey would not have been letting in those bananas? Are you really blaming the Habs D on all of those weak goals?

If Price is in Boston, they're sitting at home watching the playoffs.
In his late season crash? No, of course not. I don't know what the hell happened there.

But Price had been great for the past two seasons and most of this one. If he had a decent team in front of him we could've done something. Instead we wasted two great years from him. As for his stumbles, it helps when you have some support too. When you have a bad game you hope your D can sometimes bail you out. Price doesn't have much in the way of that. That's just reality man. There's no way his numbers wouldn't be better on Boston or LA... and there's no way those goalies win cups here. Hell, Price might've been the guy to win a cup in 2011 if he's on the Bruins. A lot of the best goalies are playing behind stacked defenses. Price hasn't had that luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So let's hope that you've never called that Boston defense, one of the worst in history....or "incredibly" overrated....or it's Chara and nothing else. LIke I keep reading in majority around here. Esp in the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away. That's why Pronger was one of the best in the game come the postseason and it's the same with Chara. The Bruins play an extremely physical game and it lends itself well to the playoffs. They can actually grind out some victories with their pluggers and we can't. We just aren't built for 'grinding' type games.

By the way, it's more than Boston D. It's Julien's system. Always on the guy with the puck, there are no breathing room for the opponent. Tough system to play in that is incredibly succesful during the playoffs. But it didn't stop Rask for having to do miracles as well. People have indeed short term memory. As great as Julien's system is, if Rask isn't there in the first 2 games, it is an obvious 2-0 Hawks. Period. No matter their D's, no matter the system.
Whoever says Boston's D is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. Boston is all about D and physicality. Their whole team plays D (not just the blueliners.) Their offense kind of sucks and I'm surprised that they've gone as far as they have this season without Seguin emerging as a force but you and I both know that the team is stacked and is going to be strong for a long time. I've said it and I've seen your posts too.

So let's not waste our time talking about what some posters may be saying about that D being overrated because it's BS and we both know it. Anytime you have a monster like Chara throwing people out of your crease, you're ahead of the game.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 06-18-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old
06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
2009 it was Kovalev, Markov, Komisarek, Price voted into starting lineup. Tell me that makes sense at all.
If you want to consider Price as a 2 time all-star because 2009 doesn't count then fine. Doesn't really change the original point that's he's an All-Star. If exclude 2009 he's still an all star in 2 out of 4 of the other seasons. And since it's really tough to be an all star rookie goalie, it's more like 2 out of 3 seasons he was an All-Star.

Old
09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

How long have people known about these new pads?

Quote:
"He (Price) also admitted he has yet to try on the new league-mandated smaller goalie pads he will use this season.
"I've been practising in my old ones, so I'm probably going to be in for a bit of a shock here," he said."
There's a fine line between being a cool customer and being completely ambivalent/indifferent. Price is treading that line.

You can have all the skill in the world, but without the right attitude you will fail.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ay-parros.html

Old
09-04-2013, 07:35 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post

There's a fine line between being a cool customer and being completely ambivalent/indifferent. Price is treading that line.

You can have all the skill in the world, but without the right attitude you will fail.

A couple weeks ago, late August.. I'm pretty pissed about his lack of commitment to trying out the new, downsized gear as soon as the memo came down.

I'm hoping that it is a case of not being on the ice because of the whole wedding thing and not wanting to wear them during the Canadian Olympic camp and look bad, but still, more dedication is required to get to the upper echelon of your position.

Old
09-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
A couple weeks ago, late August.. I'm pretty pissed about his lack of commitment to trying out the new, downsized gear as soon as the memo came down.

I'm hoping that it is a case of not being on the ice because of the whole wedding thing and not wanting to wear them during the Canadian Olympic camp and look bad, but still, more dedication is required to get to the upper echelon of your position.
There were no on ice activities in the Olympic orientation camp.

Price has had little if any opportunity to try the new pads it was a late change because of the levels of approval needed .

Besides generally speaking the legs and 5 hole aren't Carey's problem.

I'd cut him slack on this one.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:41 AM
LLoyd Christmas I

Lundqvist had his pads on August 6th.

http://www.twitter.com/HLundqvist30/...03974345023488

Stinks that Price isn't more serious about this. It's a major rule change meant to increase scoring.

#noexcuses

Old
09-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Dada

Can't Waite to see if we'll see some significant changes with his new coach #*****

Old
09-05-2013, 06:02 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

Dead on with that. I'm a Price defender and thinks he gets way too much flak but he definitely does come across as too laissez faire at times.

Old
09-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Dead on with that. I'm a Price defender and thinks he gets way too much flak but he definitely does come across as too laissez faire at times.
Absolutely. My biggest criticism about him amongst a few other ones....Really mind-boggling....How can you just admit that you will be "in for a bit shock" and not seem to mind it? Are you really serious Carey? No wonder he doesn't feel extra pressure....He's lucky the french media didn't pick up on this....'cause they'd be all over him....Price, to me, was always the guy that rolls with the natural talent he has. I really hope Waite wakes him up.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-05-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old
09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Bottom line, he needs to get more focused and stop with the weak ass goals. As somebody said above, blaming the defense for a floater from a 50 footer from the boards is idiotic.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Price is in a critical year in his career, people are right it might be nice if he took it seriously and approached it with a little focus. Molson, Bergevin and Therrien have been fielding questions about his poor performance all summer.

The comments at one time would have been proof that he's an unflappable block of ice, but that's the thing about potential, things you say don't sound as cute after it dissolves away.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Bottom line, he needs to get more focused and stop with the weak ass goals. As somebody said above, blaming the defense for a floater from a 50 footer from the boards is idiotic.
I don't think he's ever done that. No goalie has ever done that. We might be strange individuals but we are far from stupid. Most goalies know exactly when a goal is their fault. Price is not an exception to this.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think he's ever done that. No goalie has ever done that. We might be strange individuals but we are far from stupid. Most goalies know exactly when a goal is their fault. Price is not an exception to this.
Price wasn't blaming the defense, I meant people on this board were.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:24 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Price has always been like that, thru ups and downs he acts the same, and Bergevin said it himself yesterday. When Price is struggling, it's because he "doesn't care" and when he is doing well it's because he is so "calm cool and collected".

Also don't think the are going to be an injury for Price, the reduction of of equipment is going to effect a lot of the small goalies who use huge pads, Henrik, Lu, for example are both 6'1 and use HUGE pads, Price is 6'3, and never had oversized pads, so I doubt it will be a major change.

Price needs to take his game to another level, he is 26 now, no more he is still a young goalie defence on his side.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
KrejciMVP

This is Carey's make or break year IMO. The fans will only be so patient. MTL needs to win and win now. I`d like to see what this city would be like after a cup win.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
This is Carey's make or break year IMO. The fans will only be so patient. MTL needs to win and win now. I`d like to see what this city would be like after a cup win.
sigh... we'd probably STILL be unhappy...with SOMEthing... being a habs fan sucks.

Old
09-05-2013, 03:39 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
There were no on ice activities in the Olympic orientation camp.

Price has had little if any opportunity to try the new pads it was a late change because of the levels of approval needed .

Besides generally speaking the legs and 5 hole aren't Carey's problem.

I'd cut him slack on this one.
This won't just affect the 5-hole. The shorter pads will leave more room for shooters on either sides of the legs when the goalie goes down in butterfly position.

For a positional goalie like Price who goes down in this position fairly often, it could spell trouble.

#hencemyconcern

Old
09-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
This won't just affect the 5-hole. The shorter pads will leave more room for shooters on either sides of the legs when the goalie goes down in butterfly position.

For a positional goalie like Price who goes down in this position fairly often, it could spell trouble.

#hencemyconcern
I thought that the change was a 2 inch reduction of the pad measured above the knee which would directly expose the 5 hole.

Old
09-05-2013, 03:48 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Many here said I was crazy when I criticized Price last year. This is the reason. He does not seem to have that fire to be the best goalie out there. After last year's pathetic performance you'd think he couldn't wait to get back on the ice. We have him locked up for many years. If he doesn't get it together a lot of people will have egg on their faces.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:06 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Many here said I was crazy when I criticized Price last year. This is the reason. He does not seem to have that fire to be the best goalie out there. After last year's pathetic performance you'd think he couldn't wait to get back on the ice. We have him locked up for many years. If he doesn't get it together a lot of people will have egg on their faces.
Pathetic wouldn't describe his performance last year by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes he has to live up to his potential, to our expectations and to his quite heavy contract. Yes yes yes. No, he wasn't pathetic last year. Pathetic is a very extreme word to describe Price's play. He's not once in his NHL career been PATHETIC. That's Gomez, not Price.

Three very bad games does not ruin a season. Especially not behind that awful, terrible, weak, disjointed defensive "scheme" that Therrien cooked up in his toilet.

What can you do when the d-men in front of you chase the puck aimlessly but somehow manage to find a way to back their ass right up into your face on every play?

Old
09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Lundqvist had his pads on August 6th.

http://www.twitter.com/HLundqvist30/...03974345023488

Stinks that Price isn't more serious about this. It's a major rule change meant to increase scoring.

#noexcuses
It says he has his pads, i couldnt find if it actually says he is actually practicing with them are not.

It came down August 6 or so by Lundqvist tweet. In that time Price has gotten married and went to the Olympic orientation.

We dont know what other goalies are doing so its pretty unfair to say what Price is doing is wrong. I bet there is more than just a few goalies who havent tried the pads out yet and are waiting til camp

Old
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
It says he has his pads, i couldnt find if it actually says he is actually practicing with them are not.
While we don't if he used it or not, let just talk state of mind though. You have Price who still is unsure how it will affect him and you have Lundqvist who says that as long as the gear early August, he'll be fine. So it bothers one while it doesn't seem to affect the other. And the one that is bothered, is really in the elite of this league.

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2013-ar...t-changes.html

Mind you....if Price stops the pucks....I won't care if he tried it or not. But as of now, it just shows the personnality that he has and that, for me, isn't good enough to raise the bar and upgrade the level of goaltending Price needs to come to. But only the play on the ice will dictate it...not what we read in the newspaper.

Old
09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
While we don't if he used it or not, let just talk state of mind though. You have Price who still is unsure how it will affect him and you have Lundqvist who says that as long as the gear early August, he'll be fine. So it bothers one while it doesn't seem to affect the other. And the one that is bothered, is really in the elite of this league.

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2013-ar...t-changes.html

Mind you....if Price stops the pucks....I won't care if he tried it or not. But as of now, it just shows the personnality that he has and that, for me, isn't good enough to raise the bar and upgrade the level of goaltending Price needs to come to. But only the play on the ice will dictate it...not what we read in the newspaper.
Lets be mind readers....

This is just another classic hab fans over blown every little quote and reading far too much into things.

Lets real, none of us no anything regarding the situation and reading into how someone thinks from a few quotes is nothing short of ridiculous.

Old
09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Training camp hasn't even started and folks are freaking out over him not using the new pads. The players in the article all talk about how the guy is in the best shape of his life and folks are upset over this.

And people wonder why players don't want to come here...

Closed Thread