HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Odds The Oilers Make the Playoffs?

Old
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Not with that bottom 6 they aren't.
The bottom six isn't actually that bad. Boyd Gordon, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Ryan Smyth are above average 3rd or 4th line players.

I don't think a bottom six really determines whether or not a team is in the playoffs or not. Your top six, goaltending, and top 4 D are the ones that have to get the job done.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That makes no sense. Maybe you're kidding.
The realignment swapped Detroit and Columbus for Winnipeg. East now has 16 teams, the West has 14.

09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The bottom six isn't actually that bad. Boyd Gordon, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Ryan Smyth are ok 3rd/4th line guys.

I don't think a bottom six really determines whether or not a team is in the playoffs or not. Your top six, goaltending, and top 4 D are the ones that have to get the job done.
If Hemsky buys in, and Jones and Smyth have bounce back years, then we're not in a bad position at all.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Is it just me or are they really off on their Winnipeg prediction? Might have to visit bodog and put some money on the over. Better travel schedule and playing in the weakest division, I have them at 90 points.
They were playing in the weakest division by far last year and still couldn't get over the hump.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I picked up an NHL magazine the other day and it predicted the oilers finishing 2nd.

In the conference.

They had Florida finishing 16th so they weren't totally high, but...
I grabbed that one two,I think it was an editorial mistake, because their write ups had the Oil as a fringe team.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:49 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDBFD View Post
Oooohhh! That's how it works! So I guess we don't need a regular season at all. Let's just have the playoff lottery right now
Chicago has the same odds at the start of the season. For all we know Kane and Toews could get season ending injuries 10 games in and Crawford could s**t the bed trying to live up to his contract.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:56 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I grabbed that one two,I think it was an editorial mistake, because their write ups had the Oil as a fringe team.
Must have been. I didn't read the rest of the rankings.

I don't think 7th or 8th is unreasonable but a miracle would have to happen for us to get to 2nd.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The bottom six isn't actually that bad. Boyd Gordon, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Ryan Smyth are above average 3rd or 4th line players.

Hemsky is not a bottom 6 player, Jones is way below average and Smyth isn't NHL calibre anymore. If they play significant minutes, forget playoffs. Eakins will have to play the top 6 into the ground if we are to see any post season play. Our only hope is Hamilton, Joensuu and Acton to beat out the two Ryans. If they can not beat out Smyth or Jones, then i have to question why we even bothered signing them.

Hemsky might be alright, but the best case would be if he eventually gets traded for a real 3rd line player.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:10 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Hemsky is not a bottom 6 player, Jones is way below average and Smyth isn't NHL calibre anymore. If they play significant minutes, forget playoffs. Eakins will have to play the top 6 into the ground if we are to see any post season play. Our only hope is Hamilton, Joensuu and Acton to beat out the two Ryans. If they can not beat out Smyth or Jones, then i have to question why we even bothered signing them.

Hemsky might be alright, but the best case would be if he eventually gets traded for a real 3rd line player.
Jones is above average. He had a bad year last year after coming back from having his eye completely messed up a few weeks before the season started. The two seasons before he was the perfect third liner, unfortunately because of injuries he was playing on the first or second lines and getting flak for not producing enough when playing over his head.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:53 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Chicago has the same odds at the start of the season. For all we know Kane and Toews could get season ending injuries 10 games in and Crawford could s**t the bed trying to live up to his contract.
I don't think you understand what he is saying.

In the west there are less teams to beat out for a playoff spot; as the east has two more teams, one per division. Which in turn means if you are in the west, your odds of getting into the playoffs are higher than an east team

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Jones is above average. He had a bad year last year after coming back from having his eye completely messed up a few weeks before the season started. The two seasons before he was the perfect third liner, unfortunately because of injuries he was playing on the first or second lines and getting flak for not producing enough when playing over his head.
well, i guess we'll differ on that one. he gets some goals (mostly from cherry picking). but he doesn't bring much else. not very physical, not the least bit nasty.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:02 AM
PETRYDISH

If RNH is ready to go and indeed stronger I give it a 93% chance. If Hall has to play center however for a lengthy amount of time in place of him I give it a 4% chance.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
If RNH is ready to go and indeed stronger I give it a 93% chance. If Hall has to play center however for a lengthy amount of time in place of him I give it a 4% chance.
ic wat u did there

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
hawks889

The bottom 6 are very important, look at last season when the kids were struggling, you need contribution from others , the hawks had contributions, from the likes of Andrew Shaw, brandon Saad, Dave Bolland Markus Krueger, and Micheal Frolik . All scored huge goals, for the hawks in the regular season and especially in the playoffs, and in fact the cup winning goal involved 3 of those guys.
The Oilers bottom 6 leaves a lot to be desired, but maybe hemsky and smyth can be better, ryan Jones did have an off season last year, and if he can return to his form from a few years ago, there could be hope.

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Hemsky4PM

Tough to make the playoffs in the west, as always. Even with the realignment (although I expect Columbus and Detroit to both make the East playoffs).

Vancouver is no better than they were last season.

Locks for the playoffs are:

Los Angeles
St. Louis
Chicago
San Jose

I don't think there are any guarantees after these four teams. I wouldn't be stunned to see Minnesota and Anaheim make it, nor would Edmonton and Phoenix stun me. I honestly only see Calgary and Colorado as the only two teams that are highly likely to miss the playoffs.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote