HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Flames | 5pm

Old
09-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
This x1000. Hockey is still hockey. Even if it's bad, it's still hockey.

Edit: Also, I think one person you left off of the 'Impressed' list was Khairah. He showed a lot of glimpses.
Added an Honorable mentions with him Musil, and Ewanyk

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:37 PM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
This site is too much some times. Anyone here putting any stock into this game has the hockey knowledge of anal seepage and the attention span of a gnat. Lets grasp at straws for a while....

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Always sucks to lose to CGY but it's a meaningless game. Here are my thoughts:

Marco Roy - Easily the best player on the ice for the Oilers, and maybe even both teams. I thought he made some tremendous plays and gave me a great first impression. Great skater, good hands, very smooth and elusive player. It's crazy how much he looks like Nugent-Hopkins out there.

Ben Betker - I'll be keeping an eye on him this year that's forsure. He surprised me tonight. Good size, very calm with the puck and looks to have great hockey sense. I thought he was the best defenseman for us.

Darnell Nurse - Not a good game at all. There was a point in the second where he started to look like a 7th overall pick but he totally blew it in the 3rd. Hockey sense looks like a potential issue and he also looks clumsy to me. Hopefully he has a good bounce back game.

Oscar Klefbom - He was alright. Not the best I've seen him by any means but it's his first game since last October so I'll go easy on him. I thought he made a lot of smart decisions but that turnover was very bad.

Jackson Houck - Noticed him a lot tonight. He almost reminds me of Gilbert Brule the way he skates. I like the edge he has in his game.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:46 PM
spOiler

Nurse had a rough go. This team has the opposite problem of the oilers no skill just a bunch of big bodies and D. If you are gonna lose I prefer watching our kids to losing with a defensive team like Nashville. My learning a of today.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:04 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
So yeah... Maybe we should actually watch klefbom play before we start saying he's better then other teams prospects AINEC.

Not worried at all about 1 rookie game, thats why these games exsist.
Or maybe we should not put stock into 1 random game

Remember when MPS got a hattrick in a preseason NHL game?

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
it's not about the result, it's about getting noticed.

Roy was a stud, 2nd round pick, yes?.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:16 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
it's not about the result, it's about getting noticed.

Roy was a stud, 2nd round pick, yes?.
Yup! Roy was awesome, Hands down the best forward for the Oil tonight.

I also though Greg Chase, Jackson Houck, and Khaira had decent games. Chase is the type of player I wanted on the Oil for a long time hopefully he continues to develop. Marincin was a beast on the blueline, I am excited to see him develop more.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I definitely wanted Nichushkin over Nurse as well... but it's way too early to start pointing fingers and saying "I told you so" yet.

Personally I'm waiting for the season opener to do that.
To bad his Grandfather was not using bathroom at draft.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:33 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I know it's one game but when people voted Klefbom #8 most valuable Oilers player I laughed, tonight he sure didn't look like it

Lets hope Nurse is a quick learner... Needs to adjust quickly

Oilers get outshot again..the rookies know which team they're on

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I think people are being overly harsh on Klefbom, I thought he actually looked really good. I think it was just shadowed by the fact Nurse just had a horrible game. Nurse just couldn't do anything right. THat being said, one bad game, no big deal. I just don't think Klefbom even had a bad game, I thought he looked as good as Marincin.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nurse growing that kind of body at 18 is going to have some clumsiness.

People are expecting way too much from him right now. 2 years to the bigs would be the quick route if you ask me. 3 years is probably a better bet/idea.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
In this thread: Posters make snap judgements on the future NHL careers based on one rookie game.
hey..we are bored and starving for hockey... I declared Nurse to be Theo Peckham 2.0 based on 1 period of the rookie game

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Nurse growing that kind of body at 18 is going to have some clumsiness.

People are expecting way too much from him right now. 2 years to the bigs would be the quick route if you ask me. 3 years is probably a better bet/idea.
There was a lot more wrong in his game than just clumsiness and adjusting to body. He got the pylon treatment on rushes... way too many unforced errors etc etc..
Nothing but up for him at this point IMO... cant get any worse.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
dnicks17

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:49 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The best part about this video is that we don't have to listen to Kerr. In his eyes and subsequent calling of the fight, Kanzig put a grenade down Bilcke's sweater and punched him 94 more times before skating safely away.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I know it's one game but when people voted Klefbom #8 most valuable Oilers player I laughed, tonight he sure didn't look like it

Lets hope Nurse is a quick learner... Needs to adjust quickly

Oilers get outshot again..the rookies know which team they're on
Yep, this.

Right now he's an unknown quantity. ANY prospect that has missed play due to injury for this long a period of time is an unknown. Its funny how so many comments in the thread talk about not deriving any opinion from one game but on the other hand in the other valuable player threads and on a continual basis here on the board people are counting this guy as top pairing egg hatched. But on what basis? What Klefbom looked like before injuries? Its a long time, development really suffers with this length of time and other players pass the player by. A lot of players developmentally take a longtime if ever to get back to where they were respective to prospect peers before injury took its toll.

It could well be that what was seen today is not a fiction, that this is Klefboms relative play among peers now and what he looks like now. The question for all being how much this changes and how soon.

Finally, this is a high ranked prospect getting owned in a prospects game. Not in an NHL exhibition game. Needs to be said as well. He could be a long way from seeing him up here.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
hey..we are bored and starving for hockey... I declared Nurse to be Theo Peckham 2.0 based on 1 period of the rookie game
I'm just pissy because I despise losing to Calgary. In any game, in any situation.

When I see Flames fans re-tweeting this Bob Stauffer tweet:

Quote:
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 1h
Oilers D had a rough start. Had challenges dealing with Flames high-end skill, speed and depth up front
And responding with stuff like:

Quote:
lwCoyote ‏@lw_Coyote 1h
@Bob_Stauffer @JonathanWillis .... its been a very long time since we heard that. <3
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

It's tough to stay rational. Bah.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:59 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep, this.

Right now he's an unknown quantity. ANY prospect that has missed play due to injury for this long a period of time is an unknown. Its funny how so many comments in the thread talk about not deriving any opinion from one game but on the other hand in the other valuable player threads and on a continual basis here on the board people are counting this guy as top pairing egg hatched. But on what basis? What Klefbom looked like before injuries? Its a long time, development really suffers with this length of time and other players pass the player by. A lot of players developmentally take a longtime if ever to get back to where they were respective to prospect peers before injury took its toll.

It could well be that what was seen today is not a fiction, that this is Klefboms relative play among peers now and what he looks like now. The question for all being how much this changes and how soon.

Finally, this is a high ranked prospect getting owned in a prospects game. Not in an NHL exhibition game. Needs to be said as well. He could be a long way from seeing him up here
And you got all this from 1 exhibition game? Oh dear lord.

I don't disagree too much with the first part of your post though. Klefbom definitely needs to prove more to earn an NHL roster spot but lets not get too worked up about an exhibition game, his first competitive game in almost a full calendar year.

Last edited by CupofOil: 09-05-2013 at 10:32 PM.
CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:03 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Anyone trashing a single player after one rookie game should go tie a cinderblock to their ankle and jump into the river.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:10 PM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
And you got all this from 1 exhibition game? Oh dear lord.
Everyone seems to be caught up in just 1 game. Its not even main camp ffs The Oilers are just full of busts!

Hockey is definitely back!

Old
09-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Anyone trashing a single player after one rookie game should go tie a cinderblock to their ankle and jump into the river.

And over several posts, to boot.

I hate him I hate him I hate him! *slams bedroom door and screams into pillow*

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Yep, this.

Finally, this is a high ranked prospect getting owned in a prospects game. Not in an NHL exhibition game. Needs to be said as well. He could be a long way from seeing him up here.
didn't he practice with the Oilers at the end of last season and looked better than half their D corp? i know its only practice and their D has had alot of turnover, hopefully for the better.

overall, i agree with you. he hasn't done anywhere near enough, at this point, to get pencilled into the NHL roster this year.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:23 PM
MetaOil1993

Another player I noticed was Jackson Houck, I love his hustle and energy. He could turn out to be a decent bottom 6 forward in a few years.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
hellacious

My thoughts

Khaira was the best forward on the Oilers side. He looked big and was able to keep possession down low a few times. He looked good taking a few faceoffs and hope to see more of that.

Loved it when Nurse plastered Baertshi it was well worth the two minutes. He settled down after the first.

Bunz never had much help but he was giving up rebounds like crazy.

Klefbom looked ok made a few mistakes.

Miller was the big disappointment on the night but played better in the third.

Just a rookie game boys.

hellacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:31 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Yep, this.

Uh, yeah, it could also well be that the kid has only played like 60 games in the last 2 years and hasn't played in one since last October, almost a full year ago.

He'll be fine. All along, I've figured it'd take 40-odd games in OKC to knock the rust off and get back in form. He was never going to walk in and be a top-4 guy on the Oilers this season. That was always crazy talk.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote