Notices

Kane's pay being garnished by court order

Old
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
EKANE9JETS

vCash: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney Regan View Post
Both Pavs and Buff have taken a pile of abuse over their brushes with the law.
you cant deny that there is more heat on kane. its undeniable...

EKANE9JETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:36 PM
jetsfan8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKANE9JETS View Post
you cant deny that there is more heat on kane. its undeniable...
not at all
buff takes the most abuse

jetsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I never denied it was dangerous. In fact I called it outright dumb.

My point being the article does indeed show the stupidity and dangers of texting while driving; however, it really it doesn't substantially argue the 6x more dangerous point.

Statistics are for losers, but winners use the right statistics and sampling; I rebuke your appeal to authority - Garret
The only reason why the statistic is skewed that way is that people have lost their decades long acquired skill of drunk driving due to the stiffer penalties. 1/2

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:43 PM
seasontixholder

I don't remember this much media coverage when that jerk Tkachuck rolled his rental car all juiced up after leaving Bullwinkles.

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:45 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
I don't remember this much media coverage when that jerk Tkachuck rolled his rental car all juiced up after leaving Bullwinkles.
Pretty much this

But, we are in a different age in technology

If twitter existed then, it may have been this bad.

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:46 PM
EKANE9JETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan8 View Post
not at all
buff takes the most abuse
come to think of it....

Old
09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
seasontixholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Pretty much this

But, we are in a different age in technology

If twitter existed then, it may have been this bad.
You are bang on with this. I was at Bullwinkles that night. He was a mess and nobody reported it, just that he rolled his rental car.

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I never denied it was dangerous. In fact I called it outright dumb.

My point being the article does indeed show the stupidity and dangers of texting while driving; however, it really it doesn't substantially argue the 6x more dangerous point.

Statistics are for losers, but winners use the right statistics and sampling; I rebuke your appeal to authority - Garret
No offense intended, but why do you usually feel the need to call down any statistics that aren't your own? Surely if you are educated in research methods then you'll have respect for the peer reviewed literature in high impact journals like New Eng Medicine, as well as the high qualified professionals that work for insurance bureaus?

The latter is a multi-billion dollar industry that doesn't cook up its metrics willy-nilly for dealing with personal/property damage claims and law suits that come from these accidents.

Apologies for winding OT...

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
lablite47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Too bad this kid keeps f...ing up. He does have the potential of being a hockey god. Not if he keeps disrespecting laws and acting like an idiot. Not to mention endangering lives due to his immaturity. Time to grow up kid!

If his attitude doesn't do an about face soon he will lose that opportunity. Not that that is what he is aspiring to but just saying..

That said, I will keep cheering loudly if he continues to scores bushels! Just won't be an idol in my books...

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Curt in WPG

Quote:
Didn't he roll on PTH 59 right by Birds Hill? Ah, memories...

Curt in WPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:44 PM
ThatGuy22

Anyone know why he got pulled over the 2nd time? Can't figure out if the license is suspended if they didn't have a reason to pull him over?

Black in a nice car?

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
EKANE9JETS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Anyone know why he got pulled over the 2nd time? Can't figure out if the license is suspended if they didn't have a reason to pull him over?

Black in a nice car?
if i read it right it was for the license being suspended-which was because he didnt pay the texting fine. perhaps they just ran his plates randomly, or the cops know kane and the car he drives. idk how canada works...

it could also be the last thing too..

Old
09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

You know what's way more upsetting?

My pay gets garnished involuntarily by the government and yet I did nothing wrong. Now THAT is something to get upset about.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Texting or talking on a cell phone no big deal but driving without a valid drivers license screams immaturity and maybe a bit of arrogance or maybe Kane just isn't that smart or maybe a bit of both.
you've never left your house w/o your driver's license?
by accident or on purpose?

i'm a responsible adult. i have a car, a mortgage, a wife, pets, ran two successful businesses. but i've done it.
you shift it out of your wallet when going to the bar. or it goes in your backpack or something. or you put it in your jeans and forget it and only realize a week later.

it wasn't like he was killing babies or pulling a Yashin.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:04 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
No offense intended, but why do you usually feel the need to call down any statistics that aren't your own?
What? no...

Quote:
Surely if you are educated in research methods then you'll have respect for the peer reviewed literature in high impact journals like New Eng Medicine, as well as the high qualified professionals that work for insurance bureaus?

The latter is a multi-billion dollar industry that doesn't cook up its metrics willy-nilly for dealing with personal/property damage claims and law suits that come from these accidents.

I deleted my original response. I wasn't stipulating that the metrics were cooked up or made willy-nilly. I'll just keep out. Sorry.

Last edited by garret9: 09-05-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: nm
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
"Cash grabs" are photo radars in areas where the speed limit changes from 70 to 50 in industrial areas with relatively low traffic volumes. Fines for texting and driving are not cash grabs. They are justified,IMHO ...
No, all photo radar is a cash grab. They do not noticably stop accidents.

Distracted driving laws are overkill. They are overkill because they are a cash grab and they are overkill because they cannot as easily procure evidence if they are not overkill. Scenario 1: You are at a red light. You are fully stopped. You check a text. Cop comes over and tickets you. Was anyone in danger? Really? Scenario 2: You are listening to the radio full blast with your windows open and don't hear a mother screaming for her child running who wanders into the street. Do distracted driving laws stop this? Scenario 3: You are drinking a milkshake. A cop car comes along with a really long straw and sticks it in and drinks your milkshake. He drinks it all up. Then he tickets you because this is the future you wanted. The totalitarian future you allowed because a few idiots ruined something for everybody. Scenario 4: Self Driving cars. Everything will still be illegal because nobody will bother to repeal the laws once entrenched. If you text someone while your car is self driving itself the car will self drive you to Autopac prison cell #9001. But don't worry. These scenarios are all impossible. We'll see who is right and which of us was being naive in one to two thousand years.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Rook37

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
No offense intended, but why do you usually feel the need to call down any statistics that aren't your own? Surely if you are educated in research methods then you'll have respect for the peer reviewed literature in high impact journals like New Eng Medicine, as well as the high qualified professionals that work for insurance bureaus?

Sorry for butting in but unless I'm missing something, he just said - as a quick aside - that "6x more dangerous" seems like a bit much. Despite the headline, it's not as though the statistics available on that page prove the 6x claim in any concrete manner. I don't know, this just seems a bit uncalled for.

And on the topic of distracted driving laws, they're annoying but they're definitely not unnecessary. I don't think that they exist solely to grab cash, and I think you're missing their point. The idea is that they offer an incentive to not text while driving - which is definitely dangerous (although maybe not 6x moreso ). Sure, nobody's in danger at a red light and I'd be pissed if I was ticketed there but if people are worried about being ticketed every time they pull out their phone, it's less likely people pull out their phone while driving and we have less accidents. I agree 100% that it's annoying, but I understand the necessity of it.

I don't see what hitting someone's kid because your music is too loud has to do with it though, to be honest.

Last edited by Rook37: 09-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:52 PM
BigZ65

Any relevant public personality would have this story reported. Both papers have assignment editors and reporters who literally just scan the court docket looking for stories, looking for names they know. It is not as if someone leaked confidential information or something. Again, it's the same thing with Evander, and to his credit he didn't complain about the media this time, but if you don't want this stuff in the news, control it! In the scheme of things, this is very minor, although stupid.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
The intersection cameras work. Since they just have dummy cameras at about 60% of the posted intersections at a time and the cameras only face one of 4 directions, I've often wondered why they don't just post those signs at every intersection, seems to be more of a placebo effect than the actual ticket causing people to slow down. The entrapment vans do nothing for safety, and usually don't hold up when taken to court.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Photo radar and intersection cameras are a deterrent.
I definitely run far less yellow (orange) lights and no longer speed up to make it through a intersection before the light changes. I know plenty of others who have also changed their habits.

I pay much more attention to the posted speed limits in the city, especially when gong through construction zones.

Ironically the people that the cameras and photo radar have effected the most are the police themselves. They get tickets for driving too fast and running red lights now just like the rest of us. In the past they would never have gotten a ticket if pulled over.

Yes these automated systems bring in a lot of money. In my opinion that is win win. A tax on the stupid that anyone can avoid if they want to follow the driving laws and at the same time it keeps traffic speeds honest.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:24 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKANE9JETS View Post
Now he's disturbed by Kane "texting and driving". Really Gary....REALLY? I'm disturbed by your terrible reporting!
No matter what you think of Gary's reporting nor no matter how bad it may be... Lawless's reporting does not have the potential to kill an innocent person.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
No matter what you think of Gary's reporting nor no matter how bad it may be... Lawless's reporting does not have the potential to kill an innocent person.
My source says that Gary types all of his articles while driving.

Also, you're coming off pretty high and mighty.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:29 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Part of that is because he did it in East St. Paul district ( previously one on the most corrupt police departments around ) and the Jets were all over them to hush it up.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Oh he'll pay!

Don't think he won't pay!

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:38 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Also, you're coming off pretty high and mighty.
That's fine... I'm OK if people think that of my opinion. I don't care that he plays hockey for the Jets....As a person behind the wheel of a car, in this case Kane was lucky. He did something that could have resulted in a tragedy for himself or worse, someone else. And hopefully he learns from this.

If the result of stupid people doing stupid things was to just hurt themselves, fine. But that's never the case.