HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks Announce Rookie Tournament Roster

Old
08-22-2013, 01:52 PM
BGFalconHawks

vCash: 500
Blackhawks Announce Rookie Tournament Roster

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91475

For those who can't access:

Forwards:

Alex Broadhurst (London)
Terry Broadhurst (Toledo)
Phillip Danault (Moncton)
Chris DeSousa* (U of Prince Edward)
Byron Froese (Toledo)
David Gilbert (Bloomington)
Drew Leblanc (St Cloud State)
Johnny McGuire* (Erie)
Mark McNeill (Prince Albert)
Pat Mullane (Boston College)
Joakim Nordstrom (AIK)
Garret Ross (Saginaw)
Maxim Shalunov (Chelmet Chelyabinsk)

Defensemen:

Travis Brown (Moose Jaw)
Dillon Fournier (Rouyn-Noranda)
Joe Gleason* (North Dakota)
Adam Henry* (Lethbridge)
Dylan Olsen (Rockford)
Bobby Shea* (Bowling Green)
Viktor Svedberg (Frolunda)

Goalies:

Mac Carruth (Portland)
Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville)

BGFalconHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:55 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
If memory serves, the Hawks (or was it the Leafs?) streamed this online the last time around, right?

Would definitely be interested in watching.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
BGFalconHawks

I would be interested for sure, especially because I'm doubly invested with Shea getting a look from BGSU.

Put this in the prospect thread:

Shalunov coming over and not having a KHL contract adds to the rumors that he's playing in North America this coming season I would think.

Also info on Bobby Shea, saw him at BGSU for 4 years and it was a rollercoaster of emotion from me about him as a player. First couple of seasons they played him at forward and he would just run around out of position and hit everything in sight and take the worst penalties. It was basically run around get a Major penalty or try to instigate the other team. I hated him, Raffi Torres type hate. I even had the pleasure of hearing the coach say that "we all know Bobby Shea is a F***ing ******" while breaking down film.

But he has turned into a really solid defenseman that has settled down a lot since moving to the blueline, he'll still lay big hits but he is a solid skater, good at moving the puck and has a decent scoring touch/hands. He signed a PTO with the Reading Royals got into a couple fights scored some points got signed to the Playoff roster and played 17 playoff games in the ECHL to help Reading win the championship.

BGFalconHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Hawkaholic

WTF isn't TT there? FAAACCCKKKK

Oh well, still checking this out with a bunch of buddies. Sept 5th vs Toronto.

Pumped.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I guess Teuvo won't be coming to training camp after all.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:51 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I'm most surprised that Raanta and Hartman aren't there. I guess Hartman's not quite 100% yet coming off his surgery, but I would have thought he'd be good by now.. and I have no idea why Raanta isn't playing. Maybe the injury he suffered before Prospect camp was more serious than we were lead to believe?

I'd like to see the lines be:

Mullane - Danault - Shalunov
T.Broadhurst - McNeill - A.Broadhurst
Ross - LeBlanc - Nordstrom
Gilbert - Froese - DeSousa

Fournier - Olsen
Svedberg - Brown
Henry - Gleason

Whitney/Carruth (alternating)

PP units:

McNeill - LeBlanc - A.Broadhurst
Gleason - Fournier

Mullane - Danault - Shalunov
Brown - Olsen

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Riverdome

I'm going to be at the Red Wings prospect tourney in Traverse City which is held the same weekend. Any word on if a portion of this might be available online? Anyone going and able to report back? m

Probably on the fringe here but personally I'm mostly interested in potential Walleye (ECHL) that might be on the ice.

Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 03:54 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
I'm going to be at the Red Wings prospect tourney in Traverse City which is held the same weekend. Any word on if a portion of this might be available online? Anyone going and able to report back? m

Probably on the fringe here but personally I'm mostly interested in potential Walleye (ECHL) that might be on the ice.
Toledo possibilities that will be at camps IMO are
Hawks:
Byron Froese(although might be too good now)
Joe Gleason(unsigned right now)
Viktor Svedberg(if defense is too deep)
David Gilbert

Wings:
Rasmus Bodin(maybe next year if they sign him)
Jared Coreau
Marek Tvrdon(could be really good on Toledo but might be in Grand Rapids or WHL)
Max NiCastro(probably a Grand Rapids player permanently now)
Richard Nedomlel

Hard to say but these are some possibilities.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 07:29 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I will be attending the game Saturday afternoon against the Ottawa prospects. Looking forward to it.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I'm going to the Sunday game. Would have liked to go to all 3, but work perfectly interferes with the Thursday and Saturday games (work until 8/8:30 on Thurs and until 3/3:30 on Sat).

Old
09-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Hawkaholic

I'll be at the game Thursday night vs. Toronto prospects.

Can't wait to see this!

Old
09-05-2013, 03:26 PM
lfchockey

Anybody have a live feed/stream for the game tonight?

lfchockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:27 PM
lfchockey

Anybody have a live feed /stream for the game tonight?

lfchockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Absolutely no idea how I missed this thread; just delete the other topic.

Might head out on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
Anybody have a live feed /stream for the game tonight?
Apparently hockey streams will have it

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Hawkaholic

Heading there now, so pumped!

Old
09-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Taze em

Leafs won in a shootout. Down 2-0 in the third and came back to tie an nearly took a lead. Didn't watch much but thought Danault looked the best.

Broadhurst had a dirty shootout goal too.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:25 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Just watched the game on PVR. I don't have too many thoughts other than what the hell was Ted Dent thinking using Byron Froese as the 5th shooter in the shootout with Drew LeBlanc, Maxim Shalunov and Pat Mullane (who scored) on the bench.

Byron Froese had a decent game, but the guy has no finish.

I thought Danault, both Broadhursts, Fournier, McNeill and Leblanc had good-solid games and FA invitee Bobby Shea really stood out to me. Outside of Fournier, he was probably Chicago's best Dman.

- Fournier can really skate. He made several rushes and seems fairly confident with the puck on his stick. He's lean though. He'll need to continue to bulk up, but I like what I saw tonight.

- Danault was Danault. He was hustling, playing well defensively and had a couple offensive chances. He doesn't do anything at a particularly high level (aside from his defensive acumen), but he does pretty much everything well.

- McNeill was strong on the forecheck, and he seemed to be the first guy to a lot of pucks and won quite a few battles. He reminds me of (Chicago's) Andrew Ladd, especially how he played on the wing.

- LeBlanc made a few good rushes. He's deceptively fast, because he doesn't take long strides, but short, powerful ones, like how a lot of kids are taught to skate without taking their skates off the ice - if that makes sense. He set up the Mullane goal, on a pretty deft pass, finding Mullane all alone in front of Toronto's net.

- Terry Broadhurst was all over the ice and he and Alex seemed to get better as the game went along. They were, fairly easily, the Hawks most consistent line. Terry scored the Hawks first goal off a quick shot from about 25 feet out, that fooled Sparks and went off the inside of his pad, along the ice, as Sparks was late getting into the butterfly. In the shootout, Alex proceeded to nearly break his ankles attempting the "Datsyuk" (copied by Giroux, Brunner, etc) move. He went crumbling to the ice, getting all kinds of twisted up, but still managed to shovel the puck over Sparks' leg as he was falling to the ice.

- Mac Carruth I thought was good. He made some big saves, but got exposed a bit in the shootout. He also got saved by the post a couple times, but in saying that, the Chicago defense was not very good in front of him for most of the game - which is to be expected, with a bunch of guys that haven't played together before.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:35 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

^^ I watched the 3rd period. Obviously, the analysis wasn't helpful b/c it was broadcast by Rogers (Toronto) - so they only really cared about the Leafs prospects - their main insight into the Hawks prospects was carrying on about how Carruth was easy to shake up in games (with the hope he'd freak or something).

From what I saw (and it was just the 3rd period) the two players who stuck out to me most were Danault and T. Broadhurst.

*sigh*...I really wish Teuvo had played in that game.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:47 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
^^ I watched the 3rd period. Obviously, the analysis wasn't helpful b/c it was broadcast by Rogers (Toronto) - so they only really cared about the Leafs prospects - their main insight into the Hawks prospects was carrying on about how Carruth was easy to shake up in games (with the hope he'd freak or something).

From what I saw (and it was just the 3rd period) the two players who stuck out to me most were Danault and T. Broadhurst.

*sigh*...I really wish Teuvo had played in that game.
I really wish a lot of Chicago's better prospects were there.
Current team:

Nordstrom - Danault - McNeill
Mullane - LeBlanc - Ross
T.Broadhurst - Froese - A.Broadhurst
Gilbert - DeSousa - Shalunov
McGuire

Fournier - Olsen
Brown - Gleason
Shea - Svedberg
Henry

Carruth
Whitney

vs.

K.Hayes - Teravainen - Hartman
Danault - LeBlanc - McNeill
Motte - Hayden - Hinostroza
T.Broadhurst - A.Broadhurst - Calnan
Louis

Fournier - Johns
Dahlstrom - Norell
Mattson - Paliotta
Brown/Holl

Raanta
Whitney
Carruth

Old
09-05-2013, 11:12 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I'm guessing the NCAA kids can't play at all. I think Hartman is still taking it easy. Teuvo is a bit of a disappointment - but I get it. If I read the Hawks correctly, they probably don't really care about watching Teuvo play against prospects at this point. He was the most skilled guy at '12 prospect camp - and the only player who matched him in dominance there was Saad - who is nearly 2 years older.

It's great that Teuvo is apparently coming to NHL camp this year. I'm very excited about that!

Of course, on my personal fantasy planet he wows everyone in camp and Chicago decides he couldn't possibly be sent back to Jokerit and his superior skill forces us to make him our 2c

Old
09-05-2013, 11:42 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yeah I know. I get why the NCAA kids aren't there, and that Hartman likely doesn't want to risk anything heading into the season/Blackhawks training camp (coming off surgery).. it's just disappointing, because the Hawks prospect team could be sooooo much better than it is.

Chicago's without their 3 best European prospects - including the top prospect in the organization - in Teravainen, Dahlstrom and Norell.. and overall, they're missing 3 recent 1st round picks (Teravainen, Hartman, K.Hayes) and without 8 total top-80 picks over the past few drafts (Teravainen, Hartman, K.Hayes, Dahlstrom, Hayden, Holl, Calnan, Paliotta).

Old
09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm guessing the NCAA kids can't play at all. I think Hartman is still taking it easy. Teuvo is a bit of a disappointment - but I get it. If I read the Hawks correctly, they probably don't really care about watching Teuvo play against prospects at this point. He was the most skilled guy at '12 prospect camp - and the only player who matched him in dominance there was Saad - who is nearly 2 years older.

It's great that Teuvo is apparently coming to NHL camp this year. I'm very excited about that!

Of course, on my personal fantasy planet he wows everyone in camp and Chicago decides he couldn't possibly be sent back to Jokerit and his superior skill forces us to make him our 2c
Don't forget TT also put up great #'s @ 2013 WJ and Evaluation Camp was dominant.
He is ready on the O side- can Hawks hide him on D, like they will have to hide Pirri?
and can he dodge the cheap shots? Those are the only 2 things that can keep him off the Hawks roster. He could easily put up 40-50 pts playing on PP and 2nd line now! But could easily get exposed/concussed if he's not ready. Hawks know better than us.

But I can't wait to see him play w Hawks top end skill guys!

wladyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Hawkaholic

I sat 4 rows up from the glass, so it was hard to see some of the action at the opposite end of the rink, but I got some good looks and this is what I saw.

The whole team took a little while to get it together. Toronto prospects pretty much dominated the 1st period, and Chicago wasn’t getting many opportunities.
Mac Carruth was standing on his head in the 1st period, and had a solid game overall. Once they were about way through the 2nd, Chicago started getting it together, and in the 3rd/OT, dominated Toronto.

Some of the guys that stuck out..good or bad.

Philip Danault – made some great shot blocks and defensive plays. Used his speed quite a bit to get past defenders in the offensive zone, and made some very slick passes. Still needs some seasoning in the AHL before he makes the bigs I think.

Drew Leblanc (both good and bad) – had a rough start to the game, a couple of really bad giveaways, one that lead directly to a GA. I thought he turned his game around in the 3rd period and made a very slick pass to Mullane for the wide open snipe. Leblanc is a very good skater, and passer, but doesn’t seem to use his shot very much. If he can clean up his defensive miscues, he could easily be a #3 C I think. I can’t see him playing in the bigs this year either, unless it’s an emergency call-up.

Mark McNeill – had a meh game, did battle along the boards well and forechecked well. He is also fairly solid defensively, much like Danault. Had him lined up on the wing, not at C. Didn’t really see him get a good scoring chance, but he did lay a couple hits and took hits to make plays.

Broadhurts’s – Both Alex and Terry had pretty good games, especially in the 3rd where their line dominated. Both brothers are very intelligent players, and can make quick plays at high speeds. Really hard to tell the difference between them at times, and both aren’t afraid to get their nose dirty in the corners.

Nordstrom also had a pretty good game, and was one of the better players out there.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Ross, and Shalunov. Maybe they just had an off game.

As for the defense, it’s very clear that Fournier is one of our top defensive prospects. Guy can skate like the wind, rushes the puck up and makes plays at high speeds. He does need to bulk up a little bit like Hoss said, but the guy is a very good offensive Dman, and didn’t make too many mistakes defensively.

Olsen was very meh, and for being one of the most experienced players out there, I thought he should of stuck out more. He got a lot of ice time, and didn’t make too many bone headed plays, but I was still underwhelmed by his play. He’s a big boy, and he still has the potential to become a solid NHL dman, but he has quite a bit of work to do.

Svedberg (6’-9”) was pretty solid all night I thought. He isn’t hindered by his skating, and his long reach really helps him out. Definitely needs some seasoning, but he could be a lower pairing Dman in the future.

Gleason, Shea, Brown, were all meh, nothing special.

Mac Carruth was solid, 1st GA was through a screen on a shot from the slot area that he couldn’t see. 2nd GA was just after a giveaway by Leblanc that sent the Toronto guy in on a breakaway. He ripped it top shelf on Carruth. I’ll take the shootout with a grain of salt.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wladyslaw View Post
Don't forget TT also put up great #'s @ 2013 WJ and Evaluation Camp was dominant.
He is ready on the O side- can Hawks hide him on D, like they will have to hide Pirri?
and can he dodge the cheap shots? Those are the only 2 things that can keep him off the Hawks roster. He could easily put up 40-50 pts playing on PP and 2nd line now! But could easily get exposed/concussed if he's not ready. Hawks know better than us.

But I can't wait to see him play w Hawks top end skill guys!
A bit premature don’t you think. Many a player (especially a young player) with offensive skill, who can dominate at times in other leagues, can’t cut it at the NHL level, or have to adjust their game (sometimes drastically) to stick around. It remains to be seen, but I doubt very much TT is “ready” in any way, shape or form. There’s no need to rush him. Let him mature.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

OT ... does anyone know of a decent place near the arena in London to grab lunch or dinner?