HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacT vs Tambellini

Old
09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And then a whopping 4 points last year.
Some players play like crap on crappy teams and Florida was as crappy as they get last season... seems to be somewhat of a catch-22... players play their best when teams are doing better and seem to decline when the team tanks as well.

Probably not a coincidence that players like Belanger, Eager etc had their worst years here when the Oilers were stinking it up these past few years.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
And then a whopping 4 points last year.
Well, that tends to happen when you blow your knee out two weeks into the season.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Well, that tends to happen when you blow your knee out two weeks into the season.
Isnt it unbelievable that you actually have to point that out

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Isnt it unbelievable that you actually have to point that out
I was rather surprised, yes.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:05 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Wow, really? I had no idea.

And here I thought he was a healthy scratch for most of the season. I was worried health was going to be an issue going forward.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Wow, really? I had no idea.

And here I thought he was a healthy scratch for most of the season. I was worried health was going to be an issue going forward.
You thought the Panthers made their 3rd-leading scorer from 2012 a healthy scratch for the majority of 2013? And you were concerned about the health of a player who missed less than 20 games his entire career before last year's injury? Are we talking about the same Kris Versteeg, or is there a second one I'm unaware of?

Old
09-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
You're right, 4th lines are of no importance and have no impact on their teams' fortunes.

Sincerely,

Kruger-Bolland-Frolik

Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Gee, two of those guys were available for draft picks as salary dumps at the draft. Couldn't have used them, could we MacT?
A good fourth line is a luxury, not a necessity.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 08:29 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
You thought the Panthers made their 3rd-leading scorer from 2012 a healthy scratch for the majority of 2013? And you were concerned about the health of a player who missed less than 20 games his entire career before last year's injury? Are we talking about the same Kris Versteeg, or is there a second one I'm unaware of?
Much of that post was sarcasm, I trust you realize.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
A good fourth line is a luxury, not a necessity.
I see, so just pass up opportunities to improve it then. If the team had addressed the lack of a top pairing defensemen, lack of toughness throughout the roster, lack of a #2 C that is a fit with the makeup of the team, lack of depth at goaltending, and lack of bona fide third line players, I could probably forgive a crappy 4th line. Since they addressed none of the more pressing issues, I ask why they couldn't at very least improve the easiest and cheapest part of a team to improve.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Much of that post was sarcasm, I trust you realize.
I have no idea what is sarcasm and what is your serious yet inaccurate commentary on Kris Versteeg, and I don't think I was the only one confused.

Old
09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
skorf

Quote:
I see, so just pass up opportunities to improve it then. If the team had addressed the lack of a top pairing defensemen, lack of toughness throughout the roster, lack of a #2 C that is a fit with the makeup of the team, lack of depth at goaltending, and lack of bona fide third line players, I could probably forgive a crappy 4th line. Since they addressed none of the more pressing issues, I ask why they couldn't at very least improve the easiest and cheapest part of a team to improve.
I think MacT's main issue is that he set his sights way too high... there was no way he could have acquired all that he set out to do.

I'd give MacT a C+ grade but some of the things that needed to be addressed were impossible

1) the lack of a top pairing defensemen... there was no realistic options out there (maybe Letang if rumors were true at the beginning of the offseason, but we'd have had to give up tons). We got the best UFA out there... (St. Louis would match any offer for Pietrangelo). So that was an impossible goal.

2) lack of toughness throughout the roster... well I'd say this may be a push... we ARE tougher. Ference and Perron provide some grit, but I also don't think we are tough enough... I do think Hamilton will make the team as well since Eakins loves him and so will Joensuu, they're both big guys but I'm not sure how tough they are either...

3) lack of a #2 C that is a fit with the makeup of the team... again maybe an impossible task. Who was out there, Grabovski? Weiss? I wouldn't say they're a big upgrade over Gagner. As for trades... who could we get? Maybe Stasny or possibly something for Kadri... but again they aren't that much of an upgrade or a ton better fit.... and in reality Gagner is a better #2 C then a lot of teams have.

4) lack of depth at goaltending... I do like the Labarbara signing and I like the Bachman signing as well. Now if we wanted someone to push Dubnyk... who was out there? no real options. Now seeing Khudobin sign with Carolina for what he did I was disappointed we didn't get him, but our goaltending depth is improved Labarbara + Bachman > Khabby and Danis

5) lack of bona fide third line players... we did get Gordon who will be a 3rd liner (bona fide third liner), and we couldn't find a spot for Hemsky so he occupies one of the wings by default... so really our third 3rd liner is what we're looking at. I personally don't think Jones is good enough defensively or offensively, and I'd rather have used his money on someone else... but I do know, lots think Jones is an ideal 3rd line winger, so I guess we'll see how he plays this year. On a side note... how good would our 3rd line look had we drafted Nichuskin, Nichuskin would be ideal next to nuge/eberle (big power forward who goes to the net) and we could have a 3rd line of perron/gordon/hemsky... and have Jones, Joensuu, Smyth, Brown, Lander, and Hamilton compete for 4th line spots

6) As for a 4th line, MacT had to bring in someone since we have absolutely no one ready (other than Lander) who could compete for a spot on the 4th line. I guess we'll have to wait and see how Joensuu and Hamilton do before grading the 4th line...

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote