HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Players from Toronto that Calgary/Brian Burke might trade for.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

vCash: 500
Players from Toronto that Calgary/Brian Burke might trade for.

Brian Burke is not responsible for player acquisitions in Calgary. At least not yet. Jay Feaster is a terrible GM and the writing is on the wall that Burke will take over the GM duties at some point. Probably before they let Feaster make the next big trade or signing. Burke will likely give Feaster to the halfway mark of the season before canning him. Brian Burke is the kind of guy that likes to bring in assets that he's familiar with, so I don't think it's too far-fetched to speculate.

That said, there are several players/prospects that Brian Burke brought to Toronto.

Here is a list of players/prospects that I can see ending up in Calgary:

James Reimer - Not this season. The Maple Leafs will likely go through the season with a Bernier/Reimer tandem. The Calgary Flames are in need of a young goaltender that is capable of playing as a #1 and grow with the team. Reimer is only 25 years old (1988) and at the very worst, he has proven that he is capable of playing as a #1B goaltender on a team contending to make the playoffs.

Andrew MacWilliam - 23 year old defensive defenceman from Calgary, Alberta. He was drafted by Cliff Fletcher a few months before Burke got to Toronto. Burke loves him. MacWilliam doesn't have much offensive upside at all but he's a guy that would fit in perfectly in Calgary. He will be starting his first professional season with the Toronto Marlies this year. Played a stint in the AHL last season (after North Dakota's season finished in the NCAA) and played very well.

Joe Colborne - Another young player from Calgary, Alberta. Colborne is currently slotted in as the #5 centre in the organization (Kadri, Bozak, Bolland, McClement). he is a former 1st round pick that hasn't quite yet put it all together. He tore up the AHL in 2011/12 before injurying his hand. He continued to play but was extremely reluctant to shoot the puck and it noticeably affected his offensive game. In the summer of 2012 he had surgery on the hand and had a decent season with the Toronto Marlies. This past summer, he signed a 1 year deal (one way) contract with the Maple Leafs. He is basically stuck behind four sure-fire NHL centres. The only option for the Leafs is to hope he performs well and claims that #4 centre role or that he plays well enough to grab the #13 forward spot, where they can move McClement to the wing if need-be. Colborne still project to be a 2nd or 3rd line centre with a massive frame and silky smooth hands. Needs to work on physical play and continue improving his skating. Given the lack of depth in the Flames' system, this is a young player that could continue his development in Calgary and meet the realistic expectations that some have of him.

Colton Orr or Frazer McLaren - The Maple Leafs under Randy Carlyle do well playing these two goons in the same game. They bring an obvious physical presence that helps the younger players. If the Maple Leafs struggle offensively and need a boost of speed/skill on the 4th line, there is a possibility that one of these two tough guys can be made expandable. The return would be mediocre, due to the fact that neither can actually contribute on the scoresheet or special teams. Yet, they are two of the best fighters in the NHL. Burke loves both Orr and McLaren. He definitely has a soft spot for Colton Orr. If Burke takes over the GM duties, I can definitely see him go out and bring in a goon to stand up for the younger and developing players.

Carter Ashton - 22 year old prospect that plays the wing and has limited offensive upside (3rd/4th line). Has the potential to be a very physical checker with good skating and a big body. He looks like he's 16 years old and will still need a couple years before he's ready to play in the NHL on a nightly basis. Brian Burke acquired Ashton in the Keith Aulie trade (Tampa Bay). Ashton also has roots to the province of Alberta (play with Lethbridge) and the city of Calgary (his dad played a short stint with the Flames). Over the last year or so, Ashton has become somewhat expendable for the Maple Leafs. Toronto has a cupboard full of big, physical prospects on the wing.

Kenny Ryan - Brian Burke loves Kenny Ryan. He drafted him in the 2nd round in 2009 and Ryan has failed to develop his offensive game. He is still a long shot to be anything more than a 4th line player in the NHL with a very impressive physique and a pretty decent shot. Burke loves Ryan, who (shockingly) is a product of the US developmental program. The return for Ryan would be minimal but I can see Burke snatching him up.

Tyler Biggs - Noteable prospect and former 1st round pick (2011) by Brian Burke. Burke loves him. Dave Nonis may not love Biggs as much as Burke did. Biggs moved to the OHL from the NCAA last season. He also played very well for team USA at last years WJC in a checking role. He has very good size and skates well. The issues at this point in his development are his lack of physicality for a player of his size and his questionable offensive upside. He's a pretty safe bet to play in a 3rd line winger role but that might be his upside, unless he develops his offensive game and stick skills.

Jesse Blacker - Burke drafted Blacker in 2009. He is a 22 year old defenceman with the Marlies that can play a two-way game and does a little bit of everything but doesn't stand out in any one aspect of his game. The Maple Leafs have stockpiled defensive prospects and it looks like Blacker has become somewhat expendable for Dave Nonis and the Maple Leafs. He is still a good prospect with #4/5 upside if things go well for him.

Last edited by King William: 09-06-2013 at 09:41 AM.
King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:38 AM
fahad203

He can't trade for any players, he's not the GM. He'll make recommendations.

He may be interested in Kulemin, especially knowing he'll be an UFA after this year.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:40 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post

He may be interested in Kulemin, especially knowing he'll be an UFA after this year.
Did you read the first two sentences of my post?

Brian Burke did not go to Calgary to make recommendations to Jay ********** Feaster.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Kitsy

I forget who tweeted it (Rimer maybe?) but I think it's likely accurate:

(paraphrase): No matter what the titles are, Burke is now the GM and Feaster is the assistant GM.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
Did you read the first two sentences of my post?

Brian Burke did not go to Calgary to make recommendations to Jay ********** Feaster.
I want a Mocha Latte. I suggest the coffee shop across the street.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Richiebottles
S L O W | M A G I C

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Kadri ? Especially with the contract negotiations...

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:44 AM
MAK19

Phaneuf

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:44 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Add to the list:

Kessel
JVR
Bozak
Lupul
Kadri
Bozak
McClement
Kulemin
Bolland
Clarkson
Orr

Phaneuf
Gunnar
Franson
Liles
Rielly

Reimer

It's clear that Burke will steal our entire top6, 4/6ths of our bottom 6, 2/3rds of our defensemen and half of our goalies.

I'll go ahead and start the individual threads for each player.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Spitsfan67*

Patrick Sieloff will make the Flames. Now that Burkes around, that is the exact type of player he wants on the team, he reminds me alot of Phenauf, puts up some points but this kid hits like a freakin train Lol....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1HZECntAmY

Watch it tell me isent what Burke wants lol, he's Nhl ready, A man playing against boys in the NHL...

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:50 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Patrick Sieloff will make the Flames. Now that Burkes around, that is the exact type of player he wants on the team, he reminds me alot of Phenauf, puts up some points but this kid hits like a freakin train Lol....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1HZECntAmY

Watch it tell me isent what Burke wants lol, he's Nhl ready, A man playing against boys in the NHL...
uhh no. He doesn't put up points and won't make the Flames.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

If anyone, Morgan Rielly. Burke loves this kid and considered him the best player from his draft year.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Horvath Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
If anyone, Morgan Rielly. Burke loves this kid and considered him the best player from his draft year.
how on earth will Burke be able to get Morgan Rielly from Toronto. I think it would be very big overpayment and I believe Burke is smart enough to not risk it. Burke loved the kid cause he drafted him. I firmly believe that with the 1st overall he would have snatched one of those russian sounding kids.

Horvath Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
how on earth will Burke be able to get Morgan Rielly from Toronto. I think it would be very big overpayment and I believe Burke is smart enough to not risk it. Burke loved the kid cause he drafted him. I firmly believe that with the 1st overall he would have snatched one of those russian sounding kids.
I agree with your post; except for the 1st overall part (I really do think Burke would have taken him 1st; but thats not the point).

As you said; just because Burke likes a player doesn't mean he's going to get him.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
Jankowski?

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

The players that he brought into Toronto aren't necessarily players he wants to bring into Calgary. How many, and especially which players he brought to Anaheim did he also bring to Toronto? These former Ducks he brought to Toronto via trade (as far as I can see): Lupul and Gardiner, J.S. Giguere, Mike Brown, Brad May, Aaron Voros. Of those, only Gardiner and May he had actually brought into Anaheim. So I really wouldn't expect him to look for additions to his Calgary future in players he brought to the Leafs more than anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
He said that. One of the first things to learn about Burke is that he'll say whatever it takes if he feels it helps his club or his players. It being actually true isn't necessarily a part of the equation.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Maybe now he makes a move for Oscar Moller's rights. If we still have them?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Horvath Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Jankowski?
like i said very big overpayment. Burke will not trade future hall of famer for Morgan Rielly.

Horvath Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post

Recommendations my ass. Kevin Lowe is the "President of Hockey Operations" in Edmonton and he said publicly that he has final say on any trades or signings. Burke is too prideful to let a fool like Feaster make moves that Burke would not do.

This Burke hiring won't end well in Calgary...

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:24 AM
madmike77

The Flames are absolutely not looking for a goaltender. They've got Ramo/Berra/MacDonald for the present (likely not great, but it hardly matters) and two excellent prospects in Gillies and Brossoit.

On D the Flames have Wotherspoon and Sieloff - both are projects, but I'm not sure they're worse than anyone on the Leafs list. Brodie is already a young, solid NHL defenceman.

The Flames already have C prospects that I'd take over Colborne. (Monahan, Knight, Reinhart - even Backlund is only 25).

I really don't see them trading for anyone the Leafs have. It's not like the Flames are determined to win now and any trade would likely cost them picks and/or prospects making the trades pointless.

What the Flames could use is scoring wingers, but those cost too much.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
The Flames are absolutely not looking for a goaltender. They've got Ramo/Berra/MacDonald for the present (likely not great, but it hardly matters) and two excellent prospects in Gillies and Brossoit.

On D the Flames have Wotherspoon and Sieloff - both are projects, but I'm not sure they're worse than anyone on the Leafs list. Brodie is already a young, solid NHL defenceman.

The Flames already have C prospects that I'd take over Colborne. (Monahan, Knight, Reinhart - even Backlund is only 25).

I really don't see them trading for anyone the Leafs have. It's not like the Flames are determined to win now and any trade would likely cost them picks and/or prospects making the trades pointless.

Burke will find someway to make Calgary win. He did it in Toronto. He said he would never rebuild.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Ricky Bobby

Korbian Holzer is the one name that sticks out to me.

He's too good for the AHL but also buried as at least the 8th Dman on the Leafs roster. On the Flames he could be given a better opportunity. He's big, physical and tough which could help change the culture and protect the youngsters over the next few years from getting beat up.

Holzer should simply be viewed a stop gap player to let the Flames be patient and develop their players. With a weak blueline prospect pool it'll be a few seasons till that happens.

Holzer did get into 22 games last season but since than Gardiner has his health back, Ranger signed and Rielly/Percy/Finn/Blacker/Granberg are 1 year older and that much closer to passing him in the depth chart so Toronto can afford to give him up and an opportunity to play elsewhere.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Unless he's willing to give up Sven or monahan I can't see him getting any of his old stars back

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post

I tend to agree with you. Any of the Leafs established players would probably cost too much to aquire (Phaneuf, Kessel), or the Flames don't really need them.

However, I can see Burke going after some favourite prospects. Like the OP brought up, Ashton or Colborne may not cost much, and could easily get a shot at the NHL roster in Calgary.

What I am really interested in this season is the goaltending position for the Flames. How do you guys see Ramo/Berra/MacDonald splitting time? Looks to me like Ramo is the guy they really want to see take over. Will he be given chances if things start out rough? Is MacDonald more than an insurance policy? If he is the best they have, could he stick with the team for a while, as they try out the younger options? If they are all a disaster, will they just toss the prospects into the fire next season?

Honestly, I think this is gonna be good. As long as someone steps up and takes the job, it will be a good story, whoever it is.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Lefteyejack

I could see them try to get Kadri

Lefteyejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:02 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
These former Ducks he brought to Toronto via trade (as far as I can see): Lupul and Gardiner, J.S. Giguere, Mike Brown, Brad May, Aaron Voros. Of those, only Gardiner and May he had actually brought into Anaheim.
See, that's actually quite a few players to bring back.

Plus, he has a history of doing it: Brad May, Jason King, Todd Bertuzzi, Bret Hedican, Mike Brown (might have come after he stepped down), and Brendan Morrison were all Vancouver players he acquired during his tenure in Anaheim. And Pronger was another former player from during his Hartford stint.

So, it's not crazy to suggest that there are players in Toronto that Burke will try to bring in to Calgary, though I suspect it's unlikely he makes bold moves on guys like Reimer, Kessel or Lupul. The more likely targets are younger players (Like the aforementioned MacWilliam, Colborne, or Ashton).