HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post

2nd kid from the left, higher row....Pavel Datsyuk
3rd kid from the right, higher row....Alex Ovechkin
2nd kid from the left, middle row....Ilya Kovalchuk
2nd kid from the right, middle row....Alexei Yashin
4th kid from the right, lower row....Viktor Blom (poker player)

Old
09-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez91 View Post
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...0436--nhl.html

Sean Avery comes out of the closet he is retired right?
Would explain this..

Old
09-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
No it won't......It's going to play out exactly like PK did last year. No biggie. Sorry to burst the drama bubble, but there really isn't anything to see here folks.
...or it could play out like it did with ROR in Colorado...

Old
09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Miller Time

I'm feeling an offer sheet from Calgary for Kadri...

- they have the need
- they've done a decent job of re-stocking prospect depth & have organizational culture of being cavalier with picks in favor of "now" additions
- ownership wants playoffs desperately
- Burke has an ax to grind with mlse
- Kadri's aunt worked in Calgary & he still has other family in the city (precense of extended family could ease the decision to move out west)

If he's not inked by season start, I'd bet on it

Old
09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
BLONG7

Burkie takes the new role with the Flames, says he will not be a spokesperson for the team...funny stuff!!

How long before Feaster is done? Trade deadline would be my guess...

Old
09-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Burkie takes the new role with the Flames, says he will not be a spokesperson for the team...funny stuff!!

How long before Feaster is done? Trade deadline would be my guess...
He will probably let him do the season and get rid of him after the season. Have a new team in place for the draft.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I'm feeling an offer sheet from Calgary for Kadri...

- they have the need
- they've done a decent job of re-stocking prospect depth & have organizational culture of being cavalier with picks in favor of "now" additions
- ownership wants playoffs desperately
- Burke has an ax to grind with mlse
- Kadri's aunt worked in Calgary & he still has other family in the city (precense of extended family could ease the decision to move out west)

If he's not inked by season start, I'd bet on it
Burke got burnt on the Kessel deal, doubt he makes the same mistake in calgary with a potential #1 overall pick as part of a compensation package.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Burke got burnt on the Kessel deal, doubt he makes the same mistake in calgary with a potential #1 overall pick as part of a compensation package.
Didn't you hear? Burke STILL believes the kessel deal was a good one...

He's more the type to double down then to know when to fold 'em

Gun slingers are a different breed

Old
09-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Kessel deal wasn't entirely the problem. Burke not recognizing that Kessel alone couldn't make the difference...that's TOTALLY the problem. If he's able to make that deal, or make that deal once that team is stronger so that both Bruins picks ends up 25th.....not sure it's THAT bad of a deal. Still not a deal I would have made. And yes, not a good deal....but it's where they finished that ended up being terrible....

So, again, if he does that type of deal with a Calgary team like it looks today, AGAIN, that would be terrible based on how bad Calgary is now.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Only if you believe everything said to the media. You're much more gullible than me. If Burke was on a polygraph machine and said that it would go haywire.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Burke said yesterday that he'd do the Kessel deal again tomorrow. Sometimes it's best to just either not bring it up or admit you made a miscalculation and move on.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Burke said yesterday that he'd do the Kessel deal again tomorrow. Sometimes it's best to just either not bring it up or admit you made a miscalculation and move on.
His ego won't let him say he was wrong in public/media.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Would explain this..

forgot about that. 100% true

Old
09-06-2013, 10:30 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I guess I'm the only one here who thinks Toronto won the Kessel trade. I think Dougie is really overrated and won't be anything special, while Kessel is better than Seguin and Seguin will probably never put up as many points as Kessel. With that said, if Toronto had the picks, they'd be better off as a franchise because they could've picked someone else than Dougie and build around 2 players instead of 1, but with what happened, they won.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I guess I'm the only one here who thinks Toronto won the Kessel trade. I think Dougie is really overrated and won't be anything special, while Kessel is better than Seguin and Seguin will probably never put up as many points as Kessel. With that said, if Toronto had the picks, they'd be better off as a franchise because they could've picked someone else than Dougie and build around 2 players instead of 1, but with what happened, they won.
Dougie was the best pick in that spot, the only player I could see being justified being picked before him would be Jonas Brodin but I'm not so sure he'll end up being the best player in the deal. He did get to play with Suter all season and Hamilton could have been just as good if given the chance.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Boston has already helped inch the end result a bit less in their own favor by trading Seguin for Eriksson+morrow. Seguin will be a very, very good player once he gets his head on straight.

But I share your opinion about Dougie Hamilton, though.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
09-06-2013, 10:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I wouldn't call it a win for Toronto just yet, but I'll say the trade looks a lot better today than it did when it was made...that's for sure. Kessel has turned into a legit star. Meanwhile the Bruins have already given up on Seguin and Hamilton's first season showed that he at least has a ways to go yet.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I wouldn't call it a win for Toronto just yet, but I'll say the trade looks a lot better today than it did when it was made...that's for sure. Kessel has turned into a legit star. Meanwhile the Bruins have already given up on Seguin and Hamilton's first season showed that he at least has a ways to go yet.
But then again, we'll see if Kessel even wants to re-sign in Toronto

Old
09-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Doesn't matter how well Seguin and Hamilton turn out in my eyes for it to be a gross misjudgement on the part of Burke. He thought they were a playoff team with Kessel and they turned out to be a lottery team, major gaffe.

A team in a rebuild/remodel takes 2 top 10 picks and a 2nd rounder 10 times out of 10 over a 1 dimensional winger. There are cornerstones that build successful teams in the NHL and wingers unfortunately aren't one of them.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
But then again, we'll see if Kessel even wants to re-sign in Toronto
I think he will, but who really knows. Kessel is a weird guy. Doesn't seem like he likes the spotlight too much but he's done OK in Toronto so far. And his best buddy Bozak is locked down too.

Quote:
Doesn't matter how well Seguin and Hamilton turn out in my eyes for it to be a gross misjudgement on the part of Burke. He thought they were a playoff team with Kessel and they turned out to be a lottery team, major gaffe.

A team in a rebuild/remodel takes 2 top 10 picks and a 2nd rounder 10 times out of 10 over a 1 dimensional winger. There are cornerstones that build successful teams in the NHL and wingers unfortunately aren't one of them.
Those are valid points, I was thinking more in terms of pure value. I think Burke definitely misjudged where his team was at in terms of readiness to compete. But when you consider that this was being labelled the worst trade of the century...it's actually turned out relatively well for Toronto, so far.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
I think he will, but who really knows. Kessel is a weird guy. Doesn't seem like he likes the spotlight too much but he's done OK in Toronto so far. And his best buddy Bozak is locked down too.

Those are valid points, I was thinking more in terms of pure value. I think Burke definitely misjudged where his team was at in terms of readiness to compete. But when you consider that this was being labelled the worst trade of the century...it's actually turned out relatively well for Toronto, so far.
As for worst trade of the century, we Habs fans are just lucky 1995 wasn't included

Old
09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Toronto lost that trade when they gave a divisional rival both cap space, three valuable assets and a Stanley Cup. Kessel is a nobody - you don't win squat with Kessel and it's been proven for the past 4 years that the case hasn't changed.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
As for worst trade of the century, we Habs fans are just lucky 1995 wasn't included
No need to go that far: Ribeiro trade was not very good and who can forget Gomez!

Kessel trade was not that bad.

The real gamble was to think that Gustavsson (still remember the hype about the 'Monster') and the defense that was in place could do the job. Leafs ended up in 29th in GAA and 30th on PK.
Previous season at 24 he was fabulous in SEL: He had .931 and 1.96 in regular season and 1.03 and ,961 in 13 PO games.
Then he had Heart problems and the Leafs were forced to put Toskala in the goal. (.880 SV%).

Old
09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I agree. Toronto got the best player. End of story.

Leaf hating is fun but not when you have to act stupid to do it.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Toronto lost that trade when they gave a divisional rival both cap space, three valuable assets and a Stanley Cup. Kessel is a nobody - you don't win squat with Kessel and it's been proven for the past 4 years that the case hasn't changed.
This is just plain leaf hating . Kessel is a top tier scoring player and well worth the assets given up. Boston won a cup for many reasons having Seguin and Hamilton not high on the list.

Closed Thread