HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Players from Toronto that Calgary/Brian Burke might trade for.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Lefteyejack

vCash: 500
Kadri has not signed yet and still far apart by the sounds of it. It's not crazy to think Burke won't try to get him

Lefteyejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Ricky Bobby

Unlike the rebuilds in Colorado and Edmonton Burke made it his mission to stockpile Dmen. Some of which will pan out and some of which won't. He always regularly said he builds his team from the net out.

D need more time to develop than forwards and the Flames D prospect pool is still a number of years away.

When Burke was the Leafs GM in his first summer he signed Komisarek and Beauchemin. Burke then traded Kubina but got Exelby in return.

-When everyone was saying that the Leafs # 1 need was a first line center Burke actually had a # 1 Dman listed as his # 1 need. Later that year he traded for Phaneuf and had Aulie thrown in

-He traded Beauchemin with Gardiner being the center piece

-He also traded or signed for no names like Brett Lebda, Mark Fraser, Kevin Marshall and Mike Kostka who at the very least could be AHLers. He also gave Paul Ranger his wish to play for the Marlies

I fully expect Burke to start stockpiling Dmen just like he did in Toronto. Burke stockpiled D in the off-season knowing that every year Dmen return a lot at the deadline as witnessed by his Beauchemin/Kaberle deals. I'd expect him to sign someone like Gilbert, Gill, Teubert before the season.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

I think Colborne may be the only player from Toronto which we might see in Calgary. Knowing of Joe from friends of his, he'd be happy to get out of the Leafs and back to Calgary.

Walkingthroughforest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:11 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Burke will find someway to make Calgary win. He did it in Toronto. He said he would never rebuild.
Not really his call. It's ownership's call. Whether Burke likes it or not the Flames are rebuilding.

EDIT: And if the Flames do decide to try and do a quick turnaround it would likely happen next year in FA when they will have $30 million+ in spare cap room.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
rick hawk

So what we are saying is that Burke's plan to rebuild the Flames is to bring in as many former Leafs as he can. I presume that's to ensure a duplication the great successes that he had in Toronto.

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

James Reimer and Joe Colborne

09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
See, that's actually quite a few players to bring back.

Plus, he has a history of doing it: Brad May, Jason King, Todd Bertuzzi, Bret Hedican, Mike Brown (might have come after he stepped down), and Brendan Morrison were all Vancouver players he acquired during his tenure in Anaheim. And Pronger was another former player from during his Hartford stint.

So, it's not crazy to suggest that there are players in Toronto that Burke will try to bring in to Calgary, though I suspect it's unlikely he makes bold moves on guys like Reimer, Kessel or Lupul. The more likely targets are younger players (Like the aforementioned MacWilliam, Colborne, or Ashton).
If you count them all, sure. If you only look at players Burke himself actually brought into Toronto like he did with Anaheim as the OP suggested, that leaves only Gardiner and May. That's really not that much. Especially in terms of targeting younger guys like you say, there really isn't much of a pattern of him acquiring guys he got. It mainly pertains to role-players he knew he could trust to work hard and buy into a certain philosophy and that were very cheap to acquire or sign.

I'm not refuting that he might look at some Leafs, because being familiar with a player (as a hockey player and as a person) can surely help. It's more about that than whether or not Burke had actually brought anyone into an organisation. If the situation's right, being familiar is a bonus.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Not really his call. It's ownership's call. Whether Burke likes it or not the Flames are rebuilding.
Do you believe that the same ownership that never believed in a rebuild and now hired a hockey mind well-known to not believe in lengthy rebuilds through drafts really is committed to a typical rebuild? I don't think Burke would have taken the job had they indicated to him that he wasn't calling the shots on decisions like that.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick hawk View Post
So what we are saying is that Burke's plan to rebuild the Flames is to bring in as many former Leafs as he can. I presume that's to ensure a duplication the great successes that he had in Toronto.
What's funny is that Burke DID turn the team around. So many posts on here talking about how the Leafs need to slowly rebuild and when they pretty much do that, he gets crapped on for doing it that way. The Leafs are a lot better off than the year before Burke got here.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
He can't trade for any players, he's not the GM. He'll make recommendations.

He may be interested in Kulemin, especially knowing he'll be an UFA after this year.
One more bad year and Feaster is gone, and Burke is making the decisions.

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
James Reimer and Joe Colborne
I can see why an Ottawa fan would want Reimer gone. He practically owns the Sens.

Burke can have Bernier next year if he wants. Reimer will be the #1 goalie...though it's nice to have real competition in goaltending.

Giguere was a veteran. Gus sucked. Scrivens is a career back up...it's nice to let Reimer know that he shouldn't get too comfortable.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
If you count them all, sure. If you only look at players Burke himself actually brought into Toronto like he did with Anaheim as the OP suggested, that leaves only Gardiner and May. That's really not that much. Especially in terms of targeting younger guys like you say, there really isn't much of a pattern of him acquiring guys he got. It mainly pertains to role-players he knew he could trust to work hard and buy into a certain philosophy and that were very cheap to acquire or sign.

I'm not refuting that he might look at some Leafs, because being familiar with a player (as a hockey player and as a person) can surely help. It's more about that than whether or not Burke had actually brought anyone into an organisation. If the situation's right, being familiar is a bonus.
Burke also had a big connection to US Hockey that needs to be factored in.

Burke targeted Kessel in his biggest trade knowing him very well from US hockey.

Lupul he knew from his Ducks days.

Liles he targeted knowing him from US Hockey.

He traded for Giggy to come in and mentor the young goalies knowing him from his Ducks days.

Burke unlike a lot of GMs has moved around and he definitely relies on that familiarity with players. I expect Burke to target players he trusts to come in, work hard and help change the culture in Calgary this season. This year will be about stripping the team down by trading Cammi, Stajan, Stempniak well bringing in no names players he trusts and wants to give an opportunity to like Holzer, Ashton, etc. I also expect him to target players that are cap dumps with 3 years or less on their deals like Liles, Havlat, Volchenkov, Ruutu then look to re-deal later in the year or next year for a decent return by retaining some of their salary.

Burke was one of if not the biggest advocate of teams being able to retain salary in the new CBA. Expect him to take advantage of it.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
What's funny is that Burke DID turn the team around. So many posts on here talking about how the Leafs need to slowly rebuild and when they pretty much do that, he gets crapped on for doing it that way. The Leafs are a lot better off than the year before Burke got here.
Well, he certainly didn't do what people usually mean by "slowly rebuild", and it sure as hell wasn't what Burke had in mind at any point. I do believe he deserves credit (and more than he gets). But he certainly isn't one to endorse tanking, building through multiple high draft picks, or begin a season not fully and honestly aiming for the playoffs and acting accordingly. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't rebuild an organisation slowly at the same time, as he did in Toronto, but it's not the blueprint for a rebuild that seems to be very popular because it looked to work in two successful places.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
It helps when you can jump on players like JVR, Lupul, Macarthur, Gardiner, Liles, and Phaneuf who were under-performing and give the other teams junk and scraps. I got a feeling he will do something like that in Calgary. Something like Stajan and a 3rd Round Pick for Boedeker(sp) or Stepan. I bet he could do it.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
If he does target anyone it will most likely be prospects (like when Sutter got Kipper) but he isn't the Gm so I doubt there is a move any time soon.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:44 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

How about JML??????

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
The Wayner

Offer sheet Kadri, with Feaster's face out in front of it.
Then can Feaster's dumb @ss.

The Wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:30 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Well, he certainly didn't do what people usually mean by "slowly rebuild", and it sure as hell wasn't what Burke had in mind at any point. I do believe he deserves credit (and more than he gets). But he certainly isn't one to endorse tanking, building through multiple high draft picks, or begin a season not fully and honestly aiming for the playoffs and acting accordingly. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't rebuild an organisation slowly at the same time, as he did in Toronto, but it's not the blueprint for a rebuild that seems to be very popular because it looked to work in two successful places.
Uh, a slow rebuild doesn't exclusively have to do with losing on purpose or tanking. That's the HF fantasy, not necessarily a real world one. Slow is just that.. slow. The Leafs have the money so they would try to get a "home run" in free agency, getting players that are under performing for basically nothing or nothing the Leafs could use and start using his draft picks without trading them which he did the last couple of years. There are different ways to do a slow rebuild (god I hate that term) and he did. It's still a work in progress.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteyejack View Post
Kadri has not signed yet and still far apart by the sounds of it. It's not crazy to think Burke won't try to get him
Kadri is an odd case though. Burke drafted him, but he's not really your typical Burke player.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Do you believe that the same ownership that never believed in a rebuild and now hired a hockey mind well-known to not believe in lengthy rebuilds through drafts really is committed to a typical rebuild? I don't think Burke would have taken the job had they indicated to him that he wasn't calling the shots on decisions like that.
They dealt Iginla and Bouwmeester and didn't attempt to sign an experienced goalie, so yes I believe the thinking has changed.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Calgary can have Liles if they want!

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Uh, a slow rebuild doesn't exclusively have to do with losing on purpose or tanking. That's the HF fantasy, not necessarily a real world one. Slow is just that.. slow. The Leafs have the money so they would try to get a "home run" in free agency, getting players that are under performing for basically nothing or nothing the Leafs could use and start using his draft picks without trading them which he did the last couple of years. There are different ways to do a slow rebuild (god I hate that term) and he did. It's still a work in progress.
I very much agree with you. And unfortunately, that idea about slowly rebuilding exists way beyond HF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
They dealt Iginla and Bouwmeester and didn't attempt to sign an experienced goalie, so yes I believe the thinking has changed.
It changed a little bit, in that they realized they couldn't keep going just like they did. But if they were looking for a more patient type of rebuild through drafts, they would not have put Burke in charge. He wouldn't have gone for it, either. Moving on from Iginla and Bouwmeester was rather inevitable. But Burke won't just declare the next few years "transitional" years. That's not how he functions.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
EarlGrey

I'd laugh so hard if Kessel joined Calgary next summer.

EarlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
Calgary can have Liles if they want!
Burke was one of if not the biggest advocate of allowing teams to be able to retain salary in trade with the new CBA.

Calgary has lots of cap space this year but nowhere to spend so I expect he'll take on overpriced players that should be viewed like adding a free agent cause they wouldn't have to give anything up or very little to acquire them. Calgary just like the Leafs were are a bad team that will have to overpay any free agent to play for them by giving at least a 2nd or 3rd year on a contract that other teams can't or won't.

I expect Burke to tell teams I'll take overpaid but still useful players with 3 maybe 4 years max left on the deals that he could turn around and trade at the deadline, next summer or next deadline at the latest and even retain cap hits on them to make them more attractive.

Guys like Liles, Havlat, Cole, Booth, Allan, Peverley, Ruutu, Volchenkov all make too much but all have 3 years or less left and are still very useful NHLers. By the deadline they could be valuable trade pieces if Burke retain a 1 million in future seasons resulting extra picks/prospects they wouldn't have otherwise had.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Swagger17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
I think Colborne may be the only player from Toronto which we might see in Calgary. Knowing of Joe from friends of his, he'd be happy to get out of the Leafs and back to Calgary.
Wow, you have quite the insight into his personal life. Congrats.

Swagger17 is offline   Reply With Quote