HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
Hernandez has looked pretty good in cf and the lead off spot

Old
09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I don't think it would be wise to risk losing a prospect just so Franco could hang out in the locker room though. Also, who knows what path his development will take. Nobody would have thought Dom Brown would take so long to get established in the majors- he ended up needing all his option years. I don't see the benefit to burning one of Franco's if he's not ready to play every day in the majors.
what do you mean to risk losing a prospect? who would they lose?

Dom Brown was just poor management, he should of been a full timer but Manuel opted to play a vet instead. But that shouldn't have anything to do with Franco imo as they are very different players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Give the kid some time off, let him knock the crap out of the ball in the DR Winter League, come up with a fire to try to find a home on the roster in Spring. I don't think its likely, but stranger things have happened. Asche might be trade bait if they can't find a home for him.
I would say Franco making the Phils next year is highly likely, perhaps not at the start of the year but at some point.

Old
09-05-2013, 03:40 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
what do you mean to risk losing a prospect? who would they lose?

Dom Brown was just poor management, he should of been a full timer but Manuel opted to play a vet instead. But that shouldn't have anything to do with Franco imo as they are very different players.
I mean there are guys who need to be added to the 40 man roster or they'll be eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft. I look at a guy like Aaron Altherr, who needs to be protected and his status is sort of up in the air. He's a top 20 prospect in the system, so it would stink to lose him, even if he's not a top-tier guy. But there are only so many spots to go around, and if Franco is added to the 40 man, then that's one less.

I agree that Dom wasn't handled properly, but injuries did play into his situation and anybody can get hurt. Also, I'm not sure what you mean to imply by saying they're very different players. Brown was seen as a superior prospect to Franco at the time of his call up. Franco has a very aggressive approach and a swing that some scouts feel will leave him vulnerable to major league pitching. It wouldn't be a total shock if he had some bumps adjusting to the majors.

Old
09-05-2013, 04:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I mean there are guys who need to be added to the 40 man roster or they'll be eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft. I look at a guy like Aaron Altherr, who needs to be protected and his status is sort of up in the air. He's a top 20 prospect in the system, so it would stink to lose him, even if he's not a top-tier guy. But there are only so many spots to go around, and if Franco is added to the 40 man, then that's one less.

I agree that Dom wasn't handled properly, but injuries did play into his situation and anybody can get hurt. Also, I'm not sure what you mean to imply by saying they're very different players. Brown was seen as a superior prospect to Franco at the time of his call up. Franco has a very aggressive approach and a swing that some scouts feel will leave him vulnerable to major league pitching. It wouldn't be a total shock if he had some bumps adjusting to the majors.
I see. Altherr is an interesting case but imo there should be plently of room on the 40 man, although there is going to be some interesting choices that need to be made after the AFL season ends. Imo when you are talking about your top prospect, you do what's best for him and imo that would have been a call up as I feel he's ready despite his young age.

Brown was seen at a superior player but BA has underrated Franco so far (though he's a lock for a top 100 ranking, maybe even a top 50) Brown's struggles in the OF, in the past, I don't think he has the same head for baseball that Franco has so I consider them very different players. I fully expect Franco to experience some bumps adjusting to the majors, but hopefully he adjusts and with a new manager perhaps they will work with him better then Manuel did with the young guys.

The funny thing about Franco, he struggled in the first half of last year in Lakewood but after that he caught fire and has ligt it up ever since. I can't wait to see him as a full timer on the phils.

Old
09-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

It's nice to know the Phils have a pitching prospect that doesn't walk people.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...souttahere.com

Old
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
It's nice to know the Phils have a pitching prospect that doesn't walk people.
He had a heck of a year, next season is going to be very telling as he likely ends up in AA.

Old
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Wow, 6'1" 153? Damn he's a stick.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Wow, 6'1" 153? Damn he's a stick.
Yea that's probably not up to date. I read he had a mid 80's fastball a couple years ago, but now is starting to touch the mid 90's. I'm guessing he's filled out a little bit a long the way.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Yea that's probably not up to date. I read he had a mid 80's fastball a couple years ago, but now is starting to touch the mid 90's. I'm guessing he's filled out a little bit a long the way.
From what i've heard that's around his correct weight. His FB I hear is mostly high 80's, it's his curve that is creating the buzz around him.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
From what i've heard that's around his correct weight. His FB I hear is mostly high 80's, it's his curve that is creating the buzz around him.
Is it crazier than that 61 MPH curve that Darvish had ?

Old
09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
That's actually kind of crazy then cause on BA they said he was touching 94 this year. Maybe as a reliever? I know he was a reliever before being moved to the rotation. And yea I read his curve is his best pitch, and that he has good command of his fastball. Hopefully he turns into something. He's still at least 3 years away, but it looks promising for now. It would be nice to luck into a legit MLB pitcher lol.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Remember that lefty the Phillies had for a minute a while back? RJ Swindle? I remember being at a game where he struck out someone on the mets with his 52 mph curveball, then faced David Wright. He threw that 52 mph curveball to Wright, Wright sat back on it and hit it somewhere in the vicinity of mars.

09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

How exactly do you sit back on something 52MPH? What was Swindle's fast ball?

Old
09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
How exactly do you sit back on something 52MPH? What was Swindle's fast ball?
High 80s, nothing impressive. I think he knew Swindle was going to throw it at some point and just waited for it.

LOL I have a weird memory. Here is the box score.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00807070.shtml

Old
09-06-2013, 01:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
High 80s, nothing impressive. I think he knew Swindle was going to throw it at some point and just waited for it.
But 52MPH in the majors... wut...

Old
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2011/12/...ouis-cardinals

About Swindle. So evidently his fastball is mid to low 80s.

There is actually a video of him pitching in the game I mentioned.

Old
09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Imagine if he could throw 100MPH and then just drop that curveball on people.

Old
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I haven't seen him live yet. I'm not even sure if his curve is as good as Biddle's who's curve is just nasty.

Quote:
That's actually kind of crazy then cause on BA they said he was touching 94 this year. Maybe as a reliever? I know he was a reliever before being moved to the rotation. And yea I read his curve is his best pitch, and that he has good command of his fastball. Hopefully he turns into something. He's still at least 3 years away, but it looks promising for now. It would be nice to luck into a legit MLB pitcher lol.
He likely did touch 94 but I know from the people i've talked with that have seen him said he's mostly high 80's. It's too early to say he'll be in the pen but with the pressing need for help in the pen who knows. I wouldn't say he's at least 3 years away though, AA is a huge test for him and if he passes then his timetable to the majors will get much quicker. If he struggles then it could be a few years before he sees the majors.

Old
09-07-2013, 09:34 AM
jml87

Eephus pitches, really slow breaking pitch, are unhittable if you use it correctly. I don't think anyway does though. Rip Sewell, who invented it, only gave one home run to Ted Williams and it was technically illegal how he hit it. Its pretty cool.

As for or minors pitchers throwing walks, I still think thats a product of bad coaching. And I don't like how often these guys get hurt either. The whole system kind of stinks.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Eephus pitches, really slow breaking pitch, are unhittable if you use it correctly. I don't think anyway does though. Rip Sewell, who invented it, only gave one home run to Ted Williams and it was technically illegal how he hit it. Its pretty cool.

Old
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Devastate

I kind of like this asche kid.

Old
09-07-2013, 01:01 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Yeah like I said. You need to do it perfectly. It shouldn't be a pitch you can just wait on and hit. Williams actually had to move out of the batter's box to hit it. I'd love to have a video of that.

Old
09-07-2013, 03:00 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Yeah like I said. You need to do it perfectly. It shouldn't be a pitch you can just wait on and hit. Williams actually had to move out of the batter's box to hit it. I'd love to have a video of that.
So, if he had to step out of the batter's box, wouldn't that mean it wasn't a strike?

Old
09-07-2013, 03:02 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I think the original, now illegal eephus pitch that the guy jml is talking about used had an arch similar, if not more extreme, to a basketball shot.

Old
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM
jml87

Quote:
So, if he had to step out of the batter's box, wouldn't that mean it wasn't a strike?
Yep except the ump missed it and it counted but I think Williams actually admitted that he was out of the box.

Closed Thread