HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Flames | 5pm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
  #551
spOiler
Registered User
 
spOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Uh, this team was assembled by MacTavish, not Tambo, and the reason we don't have Rajala or Nichuskin on this team (both of whom we need) has to do with Craig MacTavish, and nobody else.

Andrew Miller looks like garbage, and, at 25 years old, should be able to make a play or two out there. What is MacTavish thinking bringing him in?

Roy looks like a very good pick, and Betker looks pretty decent for a late round pick, but nothing else MacT has done looks good at all.
Dude it's a rookie camp... Most of these guys will never see the NHL. The only complaint you just had that makes any sense is nichushkin. Who we have no clue about annnnd nurse may be better.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
  #552
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Good on Mac-T in bringing in legitimate talent to the roster and not just banking on these young guys to step up.

In years past we blindly allowed guys like rookie Smid to make the roster because we plain and simple didn't have the depth. Even guys like Potter, Strudwick, Cross, Whitney in years past have been able to make the roster on the basis of there being no depth/competition to force them out of that 6/7 spot.

Now we have guys like Grebeshkov, Belov, Larsen, Marincin pushing for the last 6/7 spots, which means that if a guy like Klefbom makes the team this year (which he likely would have in years past) - he's going to have truly earn it.
Yeah, easy to lose site of this while being a fan mired in watching losing clubs. Should be more legitimate vets in the lineup this year. Can't wait to see it. This kid prospects getting mugged in the playground thing is getting old

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
  #553
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,326
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Uh, this team was assembled by MacTavish, not Tambo, and the reason we don't have Rajala or Nichuskin on this team (both of whom we need) has to do with Craig MacTavish, and nobody else.

Andrew Miller looks like garbage, and, at 25 years old, should be able to make a play or two out there. What is MacTavish thinking bringing him in?

Roy looks like a very good pick, and Betker looks pretty decent for a late round pick, but nothing else MacT has done looks good at all.
The only way Rajala would've still been here is if Tambo was in charge and promised him a NHL roster spot. I don't see what the loss is and apparently 29 other NHL teams don't think he is anything special

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  #554
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
game one message

"This board needs to relax"


This board needs a Forget Me Now



Don't get caught in a roofie circle though

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
  #555
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The only way Rajala would've still been here is if Tambo was in charge and promised him a NHL roster spot. I don't see what the loss is and apparently 29 other NHL teams don't think he is anything special
No, instead MacTavish has promised useless scrubs like Smyth and Jones roster spots while letting Rajala go for nothing, and replacing his contract with Andrew Miller - who looked far worse in this game than either Pitlick or Martindale looked.

BTW, why aren't Pitlick or Martindale playing? Both of them are younger than Miller, and both are better than everybody on this junk young stars roster that MacT has assembled. Is this stupid decision on Tambellini too?

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
  #556
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
No, instead MacTavish has promised useless scrubs like Smyth and Jones roster spots while letting Rajala go for nothing, and replacing his contract with Andrew Miller - who looked far worse in this game than either Pitlick or Martindale looked.

BTW, why aren't Pitlick or Martindale playing? Both of them are younger than Miller, and both are better than everybody on this junk young stars roster that MacT has assembled. Is this stupid decision on Tambellini too?
I believe the cutoff is a full Pro season (AHL) or more then 25 NHL games.

Or it's completely arbitrary.

Jones useless? Hmm. Less uses last season coming off the eye injury.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:09 PM
  #557
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
No, instead MacTavish has promised useless scrubs like Smyth and Jones roster spots while letting Rajala go for nothing, and replacing his contract with Andrew Miller - who looked far worse in this game than either Pitlick or Martindale looked.

BTW, why aren't Pitlick or Martindale playing? Both of them are younger than Miller, and both are better than everybody on this junk young stars roster that MacT has assembled. Is this stupid decision on Tambellini too?
"This junk young stars roster that MacT has assembled". I don't think the young stars roster is on MacT's mind when he's making roster moves.

These games literally couldn't matter less, they're just exhibitions between basically random players who could be anywhere on their development curve. Pitlick and Martindale aren't there because it doesn't matter, and they're pros now. Take a breath.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  #558
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
O ya and everyone was saying Magnus would be the best of the kids after this tourney...we need to take off our tinfoil hats for a bit.
I don't recall that, I remember people saying that he might be the most NHL ready because he played with pro's.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
  #559
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
MPS raised expectations for himself around here when he scored a preseason hat trick against Tampa IIRC.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
  #560
Dangerdanger
Registered User
 
Dangerdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
MPS raised expectations for himself around here when he scored a preseason hat trick against Tampa IIRC.
Yep, I was pretty excited at the time. I should have known that they were some of the weakest goals ever against a certain Dan Ellis

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:47 PM
  #561
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Uh, this team was assembled by MacTavish, not Tambo, and the reason we don't have Rajala or Nichuskin on this team (both of whom we need) has to do with Craig MacTavish, and nobody else.

Andrew Miller looks like garbage, and, at 25 years old, should be able to make a play or two out there. What is MacTavish thinking bringing him in?

Roy looks like a very good pick, and Betker looks pretty decent for a late round pick, but nothing else MacT has done looks good at all.
Should've put the proverbial gun to Rajala's head and forced him to stay!

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  #562
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Should've put the proverbial gun to Rajala's head and forced him to stay!
You mean there was absolutely no way to keep Rajala's NHL rights that we clearly owned?

According to Howson, we gave him up for contract space.

But, you don't have to give up your rights to a European player in order to let him play in Europe. If they really needed the contract space, perhaps they should get rid of some of the garbage we have - like Miller or Abney - rather than throwing away our best young forward prospect, who has already shown he's a far better player than the junk MacT seems to be interested in.

Blickie? Baddock? Fyten? Who are these guys, and who is the incompetent who thinks they belong in an NHL Young Stars game ahead of our own prospects?


Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 09-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:16 PM
  #563
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I believe the cutoff is a full Pro season (AHL) or more then 25 NHL games.

Or it's completely arbitrary.

Jones useless? Hmm. Less uses last season coming off the eye injury.
Dime-a-dozen player with stone hands. When hired, MacT said that the core of the team was here, and that his job was to supplement our good young roster with quality, complementary players. He was going to be impatient, and make improvements fast.

Smyth and Jones hardly represent much improvement. In fact, both stunk up the roster last year, and are likely to be even worse this year. Our bottom six was nothing short of atrocious, and Jones was scratched multiple times.

How many times has Abney played in this thing? If he is eligible, I fail to see why Pitlick and Martindale are not.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  #564
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,740
vCash: 500
Rajala didn't want to play in NA. If he went back to Europe without terminating his contract, he would be taking up a contract spot. He wasn't an unsigned RFA that could just reject a QO, remain an Oiler and not take up a spot.

Rajala has no interest in playing in NA. The Oilers wanted a contract spot.

There's a reason why Rajala's contract was mutually terminated.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
  #565
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Rajala didn't want to play in NA. If he went back to Europe without terminating his contract, he would be taking up a contract spot. He wasn't an unsigned RFA that could just reject a QO, remain an Oiler and not take up a spot.

Rajala has no interest in playing in NA. The Oilers wanted a contract spot.

There's a reason why Rajala's contract was mutually terminated.
Well, maybe MacT should be trying a little harder to make him interested in playing in North America.

After all, he was here, wasn't he?

Did MacT ever sit down with him and sell him on staying, tell him where he's going to fit, tell him he's going to get a 1 way deal after his ELC, etc.?

A competent manager would have done that.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
  #566
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
lol

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  #567
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Well, maybe MacT should be trying a little harder to make him interested in playing in North America.

After all, he was here, wasn't he?

Did MacT ever sit down with him and sell him on staying, tell him where he's going to fit, tell him he's going to get a 1 way deal after his ELC, etc.?

A competent manager would have done that.
Maybe he did.

If Rajala had no interest in the NHL or money, that would have been a pretty tough sell though.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:35 PM
  #568
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Hmm, just checked Rajala's stats page. Full season with Brandon Wheat Kings. Full season with Stockton and OKC. Jordan Eberle managed to outproduce him in that latter gig.

But, evidently he has no interest in North America, so that is that.

Now, let's all get back to watching some of that high end skill that MacT has brought in for this Young Stars tournament.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  #569
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,316
vCash: 1206
Well at least we aren't alone in this. After one game our board is ready to jump off a cliff and the Flames board are patting themselves on the back pretty hard.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:41 PM
  #570
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 50
Is every GDT gonna be like this?

Whatta site man.....whatta site!


Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
  #571
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,326
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Is every GDT gonna be like this?

Whatta site man.....whatta site!

You need to be on the GDT during the game. So funny to see fans blasting players for missing an assignment then once the replay is shown we see that the guy was tripped up. Sometimes a page or more of "stupid player x".

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
  #572
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Is this real life?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:59 PM
  #573
KMart27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Hmm, just checked Rajala's stats page. Full season with Brandon Wheat Kings. Full season with Stockton and OKC. Jordan Eberle managed to outproduce him in that latter gig.

But, evidently he has no interest in North America, so that is that.

Now, let's all get back to watching some of that high end skill that MacT has brought in for this Young Stars tournament.
How exactly do you want MacT to acquire high end skill for the Young Stars tournament and why are you so concerned about a mostly unimportant tournament?

KMart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
  #574
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Is every GDT gonna be like this?

Whatta site man.....whatta site!

Yeah it's really gone downhill lately around here.

It's quite insufferable. From players getting owned to a GM who brought in **** young talent (even though he has been at the helm of one draft), there are tons of gold.

And this isn't even a game that MATTERS. That's the scary part.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
  #575
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,921
vCash: 50
Judging by last night's game Nurse looks to be 4-5 years away from even making it to the NHL and Klefbom should be in the AHL this season. However, that's just based on last night's game, anything can change.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.