HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Leafs to Extend Husqy Phil)

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 09:41 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nsion/2761745/

The Hawks lock up Hjarlmarsson for 5yrs @ 4.1mil per

Chicago Sports ‏@ChiTownSports 35m
RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hjalmarsson deal with Hawks worth $4.1 M per year on average

Old
09-04-2013, 09:54 AM
joshjull

Would it be safe to say Hammer took a hometown discount? He is only 26 years old in the prime years of his career and his cap hit only went up 600k.

Old
09-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Would it be safe to say Hammer took a hometown discount? He is only 26 years old in the prime years of his career and his cap hit only went up 600k.
what freaking bargain... Hammer might be the most underrated defensemen in the NHL...

Old
09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
what freaking bargain... Hammer might be the most underrated defensemen in the NHL...
Its definitely a bargain.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:15 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Yeah I think he could easily have fetched around $5.5 on the open market. Isn't that what Girardi resigned for in NY or no?

Old
09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
KevinChurch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I strongly disagree. Why would a washed up 40 year old locker-room cancer goalie do that would affect Miller's potential value/destinations?
He isn't a legit option anymore IMO.
I still think someone will bite on Miller, perhaps EDM? seeing as they offered quite a bit for Shneider, the price wouldn't be as steep and they would probably be able to push for the playoffs (have a better chance at it anyway) with Miller since they have the worst goalie in their new Division. I'd do something like :
MPS+3rd+Cap dump
for
Miller
Why is he a cancer?
I like the way those who disagree with his politics label him a cancer, it seems like they want to convince themselves that the general public sees the world the same way they do.

Old
09-04-2013, 11:27 PM
KevinChurch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolanPlsGoSabres View Post
Sorta ironic that Olesz was acquired to rid Campbell's contract but there he is, being bought out...
They could have bought Olesz out at 25% when the trade was first made, but for some strange reason they kept him around

Old
09-04-2013, 11:48 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinChurch View Post
Why is he a cancer?
I like the way those who disagree with his politics label him a cancer, it seems like they want to convince themselves that the general public sees the world the same way they do.
He's a cancer because he's ****ing bat****

Old
09-05-2013, 12:04 PM
joshjull

Brian Burke named as Calgary's new president of hockey operations.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431209

Old
09-05-2013, 12:13 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
So, with the extension of Hammer and Crawford in Chi, our likely glut of prospects and picks going into the 2014 draft (especially after the long awaited Miller/Vanek deals), can we start looking at the likelyhood of Patrick Kane coming to Buffalo at the 2014 Draft?

We can pay him what he wants (My guestimate would be something along the lines of 8 years at 8 million per, something Chicago won't be able to give him), it's his childhood team, and Chicago will be in cap trouble, even if the Cap rises to 70 million. We will have a good group of prospects and picks to offer up, and Kane would waive his NTC to come here.

I'm well aware Chicago likely won't want to trade Kane, but I think if given the choice of giving Kane that kind of money, or moving him to restock the shelves and keep the team in contention for the next 5+ years, they'll choose moving him.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:18 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So, with the extension of Hammer and Crawford in Chi, our likely glut of prospects and picks going into the 2014 draft (especially after the long awaited Miller/Vanek deals), can we start looking at the likelyhood of Patrick Kane coming to Buffalo at the 2014 Draft?

We can pay him what he wants (My guestimate would be something along the lines of 8 years at 8 million per, something Chicago won't be able to give him), it's his childhood team, and Chicago will be in cap trouble, even if the Cap rises to 70 million. We will have a good group of prospects and picks to offer up, and Kane would waive his NTC to come here.

I'm well aware Chicago likely won't want to trade Kane, but I think if given the choice of giving Kane that kind of money, or moving him to restock the shelves and keep the team in contention for the next 5+ years, they'll choose moving him.
I would be surprised if Chicago went that route.

I expect them to treat Toews and Kane like the Penguins do Malking and Crosby. They'll pay those two whatever it takes to keep them and sell off other players to make things work with the cap.

Plus, the real wild card is what happens with the cap rising moving forward....

Old
09-05-2013, 12:29 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I would be surprised if Chicago went that route.

I expect them to treat Toews and Kane like the Penguins do Malking and Crosby. They'll pay those two whatever it takes to keep them and sell off other players to make things work with the cap.

Plus, the real wild card is what happens with the cap rising moving forward....
the new CBA is designed to keep the cap from rising that dramatically year to year. So while it will go up (My early guess is 68-70 million) Chicago is still pretty hosed. They have 14 players at 59,715,962 million already. I'm also assuming they'll have a need or two going into the trade deadline and their prospect cupboard will be pretty bare going into the offseason.

I also think this is likely Malkin's last season in Pittsburgh, because they are even in a worse cap situation than Chicago.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
That doesn't make him a cancer. That makes him a goalie.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
That doesn't make him a cancer. That makes him a goalie.
When some don't agree with what a player does off the ice, name calling begins. Especially when a solid logical well thought out argument can't be made.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Why is he a cancer?
Because he put himself before the team
Because he pissed off a lot of people in the organization by doing
Because he let down his teammates
... and because of all that, he quit on his team and left the NHL

Tim Thomas is the posterboy for becoming a lockerroom cancer

When asked what the team thought of Thomas' snub....
Quote:
[Expletive] selfish [expletive], one team source said.
selfish player = lockerroom cancer

Old
09-05-2013, 01:22 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
the new CBA is designed to keep the cap from rising that dramatically year to year. So while it will go up (My early guess is 68-70 million) Chicago is still pretty hosed. They have 14 players at 59,715,962 million already. I'm also assuming they'll have a need or two going into the trade deadline and their prospect cupboard will be pretty bare going into the offseason.

I also think this is likely Malkin's last season in Pittsburgh, because they are even in a worse cap situation than Chicago.
Only time will tell.

I just have a feeling that they will try and do everything possible to avoid messing with their Core 5 of Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford.

For instance, Hossa could be a guy they shop ahead of Kane. Sharp and Bickell coulld get moved depending on their clauses. Hjalmarsson, Oduya, and Leddy would likely get shopped.

It's not like they haven't had to get rid of supporting players before and retool the roster....

Old
09-05-2013, 01:45 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
I agree with this on a personal level, but I think the fact that he's viewed the same way on a professional level can be quite clearly inferred from the fact that no team has swept in to sign him at this point.

Old
09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
When some don't agree with what a player does off the ice, name calling begins. Especially when a solid logical well thought out argument can't be made.
He talks about how his way of life is ending in an eschatological sense.

Homeless people do that

Old
09-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
They could have bought Olesz out at 25% when the trade was first made, but for some strange reason they kept him around
When they traded for Olesz there was no compliance buyouts, they would've had to buy him out and eat 6 years of dead cap space (3 years remaining on contract. At the time Olesz would've been a 1/3 buyout (by age <26) meaning he would be due 1/3 his remaining salary, spread over twice the remaining years.

So buying him out would've led to 6 years of dead cap space...

But, at the time of the trade, the current CBA permitted stashing players in the AHL and getting them off your cap entirely.

So their choices at the time of the trade were:
1. Keep on the NHL roster at a 3.125 cap hit
2. Buy out and take 6 years of dead cap space at around 650k
3. Stash him in Rockford, pay his full salary, but have no NHL cap implications

If you understood the CBA, you would not think it was strange that the chose #3.

Then with a new CBA in 2012, they were permitted 2 compliance buyouts that would have ZERO impact on their NHL cap. And chose to use it.

There moves weren't strange... they were logical.

Old
09-05-2013, 03:20 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
IIRC, When Hawks traded for him they wanted to buy him out at 1/3rd the price(something ~400K in deadcap space), but he was injured during the buy-out window.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:24 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-here-forever/

Quote:
There’s been speculation the Chicago Blackhawks might have issues keeping Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane when they become unrestricted free agents in 2016.

To that, ‘Hawks GM Stan Bowman has a bold response.

“Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane will be here forever,” Bowman told the ‘Hawks website. “I can’t predict what the salary cap will be in the near future, but I can tell you that Jonathan and Patrick will be on this team.”

But whatever the case with Chicago’s current financial landscape, Bowman remains confident it’ll have no bearing on keeping his two prized players in town.

“Those two players put the Blackhawks back on the map, they’re up in a couple years, and whatever the numbers are, we’ll figure out the details,” he explained. “The notion that the money we’re spending now will affect our ability to keep Jonathan and Kane…it’s a non-issue.

“They will be here no matter what.”
So there is that....

Old
09-06-2013, 01:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
A sound argument can very easily be made.

Thomas is known to be a very selfish individual and the team White House trip pretty much encapsulates that. Forget his politics because its not about that. He chose to turn a non-political pro forma event thats done to reward the TEAM into his own persona platform to make a statement. Then he refused to comment on it or even deal with it with the media before or after. So then his teammates have to deal with the fall out over his comments/actions. The majority of whom are not even American. They just wanted to visit the White House and have an enjoyable experience visiting one of the most famous buildings in the world. Its something that is one more perk of winning the Cup (or any other major league title MLB, NBA, NFL). Instead they spend the days leading up to the visit, the day of the visit and after answering for Thomas or more accurately trying to avoid dealing with questions about why Thomas did and said what he did. The majority were quite pissed off, including management and ownership.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:

Thomas is known to be a very selfish individual and the team White House trip pretty much encapsulates that. Forget his politics because its not about that. He chose to turn a non-political pro forma event thats done to reward the TEAM into his own persona platform to make a statement. Then he refused to comment on it or even deal with it with the media before or after. So then his teammates have to deal with the fall out over his comments/actions. The majority of whom are not even American. They just wanted to visit the White House and have an enjoyable experience visiting one of the most famous buildings in the world. Its something that is one more perk of winning the Cup (or any other major league title MLB, NBA, NFL). Instead they spend the days leading up to the visit, the day of the visit and after answering for Thomas or more accurately trying to avoid dealing with questions about why Thomas did and said what he did. The majority were quite pissed off, including management and ownership.

I think the question is whether it matters. Guy makes a selfish move, everybody faces, like, two questions tops from the media apiece, if that, and that really determines whether or not a former Conn Smythe winner is an asset to your team? I figure guys were pissed, but it was a pretty minor incident that no one can really claim effected the team's performance.

I think the whole reason he's not getting a job just has to do with his age/time off. I don't think teams really care about his little political grandstand.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:39 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

That doesn't make him ****ing bat****

Which was the original comment.

Opinion vs. fact

Old
09-06-2013, 01:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
That doesn't make him ****ing bat****

Which was the original comment.

Opinion vs. fact
I was addressing the locker room cancer comments which was the starting point.

Closed Thread