HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Bowman Building a Dynasty Around the Cap

Old
09-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Gurth

vCash: 500
Who thought we'd have either Crow or Hammer signed right now, let alone both?

He's done a great job.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I didn't think we'd have both signed ever. I thought it'd come down to one or the other, with Hammer ultimately wanting too much for us to re-sign him

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hawks are the closest to become a modern day dynasty in the NHL. Repeat and I call this a dynasty

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Illinihockey

If they win one more Cup in the next 3 years they are a dynasty, especially if there are no other 2 time winners.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
GGGHawks18

Just read an article on hawks site from Twitter so I can't put the article up from my phone. But Bowman said that Kane and Toews will be here forever. Very encouraging article.

GGGHawks18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
2 more Cups in 5 years shouldn't be a problem for this group, right? 4 in 9 years sounds like a good number to me.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGHawks18 View Post
Just read an article on hawks site from Twitter so I can't put the article up from my phone. But Bowman said that Kane and Toews will be here forever. Very encouraging article.
Mark Lazerus‏@MarkLazerus8m
After sidestepping the question when I asked him on Wednesday, Stan Bowman tells #Blackhawks website "Toews and Kane will be here forever."

Old
09-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Mark Lazerus‏@MarkLazerus8m
After sidestepping the question when I asked him on Wednesday, Stan Bowman tells #Blackhawks website "Toews and Kane will be here forever."
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681555

So all these people worried about if they are going to be here or not can quit. And the people from other teams saying it is just wishful thinking.

Last edited by Tone King: 09-06-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: My spelling sucks today
Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Don't you know? Toews wants to go back to Winnipeg and Kane wants to go back to Buffalo. Because wishful thinking by other fanbases says so.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Possibly the single two worst climates in the NHL and both teams are bad.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:30 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Kane will go to buffalo so he can play with a real 1C in McDavid

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Kane will go to buffalo so he can play with a real 1C in McDavid
Ouch!

Old
09-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Possibly the single two worst climates in the NHL and both teams are bad.
Winnipeg is a nice enough city. But when I visit in the winter it is so fricking cold. All the parking lots have plug ins for your car in them. But the people are really nice there. And the team is bad as coldsteel said. They have a lot of needs and Toews would not fix it. As well as the team they are signing with being able to add one more year onto any deal that is done which makes it even harder to leave.

Old
09-06-2013, 10:55 AM
ChemSteve

That article makes me very happy. Stan is the man.

ChemSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:03 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
Winnipeg is a nice enough city. But when I visit in the winter it is so fricking cold. All the parking lots have plug ins for your car in them. But the people are really nice there. And the team is bad as coldsteel said. They have a lot of needs and Toews would not fix it. As well as the team they are signing with being able to add one more year onto any deal that is done which makes it even harder to leave.
Like so you can carry a battery charger in your trunk and plug it in if your battery goes dead?

Old
09-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Like so you can carry a battery charger in your trunk and plug it in if your battery goes dead?
No. So you can plug into your engine block heater so it will start! So cold you are screwed otherwise.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
No, it keeps your car warm when its not running so the liquids in your car don't freeze solid

Old
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yikes, never even heard of an engine block heater, makes sense though, in Ice Road Truckers, they never shut the engine off. That's nuts, what a pain in the ass.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Bowman's 2011-12 season was absolutely horrid, single handedly blew a great shot at a Cup. Otherwise, he has done quite well.
I'm just going to come out and say what everyone is thinking- if you really believe he single-handey blew that cup run you aren't paying attention. (Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, because the alternative is that you're just that much of a Bowman hater.)

The problem that year was always coaching and/or execution on our own end of the ice. In fact before the start of last season I think I was laughed at for saying (nearly verbatim) that the same team would win if two things happened- defense stepped up and Crow played like he did his rookie year.

Personnel obviously wasn't an issue, despite the endless moaning on this board about Oduya, not trading Crawford, lack of 2C / Derek Roy, etc

The team was always good, they just weren't playing like it.

Anyways, the Crow and Bickell signings both make me a touch nervous, but the Hammer signing is great, and I can't complain about keeping the gang together. Stan's the man, and he keeps getting it done, so I'll trust in his moves. Best GM over the past 4 years.

Last edited by zytz: 09-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.
zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
It didn't help Toews was just coming off of a concussion, Bolland was hurt, and Hossa got knocked out of the series in game 3.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

[QUOTE=zytz;70849293]I'm just going to come out and say what everyone is thinking- if you really believe he single-handey blew that cup run you aren't paying attention. (Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, because the alternative is that you're just that much of a Bowman hater.)

The problem that year was always coaching and/or execution on our own end of the ice. In fact before the start of last season I think I was laughed at for saying (nearly verbatim) that the same team would win if two things happened- defense stepped up and Crow played like he did his rookie year.

Personnel obviously wasn't an issue, despite the endless moaning on this board about Oduya, not trading Crawford, lack of 2C / Derek Roy, etc

Anyways, the Crow and Bickell signings both make me a touch nervous, but the Hammer signing is great, and I can't complain about keeping the gang together. Stan's the man, and he keeps getting it done, so I'll trust in his moves. Best GM over the past 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Shhhh. No. It's Shero that is the most awesome-est. At least on HF. Perhaps that is the Crosby factor influencing it but Stan has done a better job in my opinion in retaining the talent that the Hawks have developed and complimented with role player signings.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

It wasn't single handedly, I'll admit that. Still, I feel like he was just sitting back watching a train wreck. Had he done anything but what he did that year, I believe our chances would have been better. Like people have said, it was just a matter of snapping out of it and I really feel like the moves he made before the year just made everything so funky and then it just went from there. I don't want to talk to about it anymore or bring back the negativity. Nothing wrong with disagreeing on Bowman's role in that mess, that was the most frustrating season for me as a Hawk fan AINEC. The answers were obvious but they just let the deer wander into the road and get obliterated. Thankfully, things got back on track the next year and everything is in order now.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
It wasn't single handedly, I'll admit that. Still, I feel like he was just sitting back watching a train wreck. Had he done anything but what he did that year, I believe our chances would have been better. Like people have said, it was just a matter of snapping out of it and I really feel like the moves he made before the year just made everything so funky and then it just went from there. I don't want to talk to about it anymore or bring back the negativity. Nothing wrong with disagreeing on Bowman's role in that mess, that was the most frustrating season for me as a Hawk fan AINEC. The answers were obvious but they just let the deer wander into the road and get obliterated. Thankfully, things got back on track the next year and everything is in order now.
What did you want him to do? He added a top 4 defenseman and it cost a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

The biggest reason the Hawks lost that year was 1) injuries 2) we were working in a bunch of rookeis which paid off in a Stanley Cup the year after.

Old
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Hawkaholic

I don't think any of the answers were in a trade, or signing. The players played like crap, the system was terrible, and our goalie couldn't stop a beach ball. Adding Derek Roy, or Antoine Vermette wouldn't have made any difference. Getting Oduya was one of his best moves that year, and people lambasted him for it.

Just like how not trading for a #2C this past year was Stan's best move, and people lambasted him for that too.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
What did you want him to do? He added a top 4 defenseman and it cost a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

The biggest reason the Hawks lost that year was 1) injuries 2) we were working in a bunch of rookeis which paid off in a Stanley Cup the year after.
Same thing I said then, 2nd line C and a pending UFA goalie such as Vokoun, then waive or indefinitely scratch all of the free agent signings he made prior to the season (with the exception of Carcillo, who was injured but fit the team much better than the others). It didn't happen, and I thought we would get rolled by Phoenix because of it. It is what it is. We move on.