HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes/Devils Rivalry?

Old
09-06-2013, 10:00 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Carolina a rival? Not since 1866.
Boom.

/thread

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 10:03 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
3 pages in and nobody mentioned whether or not they had ever been in close proximity to Raleigh yet? shocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
They arent rivals and just because they have none Im not going to look at the times they beat us in gut-wrenching fashion and say, "Golly gee theyre our rivals now" just for the sake of Canes fans.

Plus, Ive never been to Raleigh.
njdevsfn95 did indeed.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:02 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Farise View Post
I like the "you suck" just because it reminds me of my college days. At Northeastern the band plays the rock and roll part 2 tune, and the crowd goes "Sieve! You suck!". The hockey crowd at Northeastern made it pretty awful to be an opposing goalie at games. After the goal song ended and play began again they would start an "It's all your fault, it's all your fault" chant.

So that's why I kinda like it.

Oh, and I hate the Canes. I went to 1 game in Raleigh because my friend lived in NC at the time. It was the New Years Day game during the peak of our awfulness, right after MacLean got fired. We lost like 6 or 7-3. Heard that god awful goal song so many times it still haunts me haha.
And this is why I don't like it. It's definitely a college-geared chant, so it's a very weird vibe when you see old men and 12-year-old girls (and my mom..lol) fist-pumping and pointing to the "You Suck" chant. I just can't get behind it.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
lulz.

I hate the Hurricanes. Hate Eric Staal. Hate Jordan Staal. Hate Jeff Skinner. Hate Jussi Jokinen for 2009. Loathe Nic friggin' Wallin for 2006. I hate them all.

But no, not a rival, and I agree with RG's assessment of them being a storied playoff opponent. Somewhat similar to our matchups with the Maple Leafs in the playoffs in the early 2000s.

Maybe a rivalry will build from being in the same division, but right now I'd say no.
Yup, all those guys besides maybe J. Staal. But Eric for **** sure. I'd want to know from a Carolina fan's perspective, who on the Devils? I know there was a mention of Stevens, but that lasted for only a short period and he was retired. It just seems a bit uneven on both sides in terms of nastiness. You need those villains on both teams to make a great rivalry IMO. From our side it's kind of tame (due to the playoff losses obviously) Who exactly do Canes fans dislike? Brodeur? Elias?

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:42 AM
KohoDonuts88

Growing up in the '80s, the Devils were #1, but the Whalers were a solid 1A. '86 was my first playoff cheering for a team I liked instead of defaulting to the Canadiens with the rest of my family. If '88 hadn't happened for the Devils and had the Whalers followed up with any success of their own, who's to say how the pendulum would have swung for me fandom-wise. Ron Francis is still my all-time favourite player. Having said all that, as much I liked the Whalers, I can't stand the Hurricanes to an equal degree. I despise the Rangers, Flyers and Leafs, then the Canes and Penguins are right there in my bottom 5.

KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

I think the most realistic approach to this notion is this: We are not day-to-day rivals. I don't think we are even close.

But, when it comes to the playoffs, I do believe - personally - that the history we have there and only there creates an added essence to the sentiment during the series.

We have a very interesting playoff history and have met quite a few times and there is always an added intensity and passion to it. But it only surfaces when all those pasts surface. During the course of a season, no one actually gives a **** about any of those things because they aren't there.

Rivalries exist in different fashions, for sure. I think it's irrefutable that Devils/Canes playoff series' have everything you could want from one.

However, lets hinge this entire question on one with a revisionists history:

I have still not seen the game 7 goal we blew against the Canes despite having been IN the building at the time. But, in that moment, it was an absolutely awful, awful, feeling as a fan. I think it would be unanimous around here.

But if you asked Devils' fans to choose between winning that game 7 instead of blowing it or losing to the Rangers in a non-dramatic fashion in 2011-2012, you'll find a probably close to 100% response that we'll take a loss to the Canes like that every time over NOT beating the Rangers, period.

I think it speaks for itself. In the moment, its good. But in general, it doesn't run so deep. I'd rather blow a game 7 every ****ing year to Carolina as long as we send the Rangers packing at some point in the playoffs. I didn't like we lost to LA, or how we fell behind so quick, but it felt NOTHING like losing to Colorado did. I didn't even care because we made Queen Henrik cry and they were the favorites and all the 1994 comparisons the whole ****ing series.

That vindication was priceless and nothing about Canes/Devils could even come close to comparing to that.

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Very true about the Devils chant. I never really understood it. It seems like more of a celebration of the hatred of the opposition more than an uplifting of the team itself. "You suck" cheers during play? All for 'em. But when my team scores, I want to lose my mind for OUR boys. Not lose it for their guys. With that said, glass houses and such, our goal horn is as hokey and awful as any you'll find but it's been in place so long that I can't .... not hear it? If that makes any sense.
I agree and find it kind of lame.
Is there a way we can start a petition or something?
Any ideas for something else (something unique)

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:53 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
njdevsfn95 did indeed.
my b my b

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
3 pages in and nobody mentioned whether or not they had ever been in close proximity to Raleigh yet? shocked
You missed 95's post.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:59 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

I hate the Canes mainly because of Eric Staal.

He just has a face you'd want a Devils player to punch out....

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
You've probably never even been in the metropolitan division...

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:05 PM
billingtons ghost

If I have to list them... I would go:
Tier 1: (indelible hatred of 1000 white hot suns: the rest of the world stops when these two play)
Rangers

Tier 2: (hatred)
Rangers
Rangers
Flyers

Tier 3: (not just an average game... )
Toronto (Tie Domi etc... multiple playoff battles)
Pittsburgh (plus Mario tank. multiple playoff battles)
Canes (epic collapses. multiple playoff battles )
Isles (because they always beat us at Nassau, and proximity)
Montreal (Marty connection)

Tier 4: mild dislike (ex cup opponents) Maybe a slight discernable buzz?
Kings
Colorado
Ducks (because Marty got gypped for Conn Smythe)
Boston (because they are good now)
Red Wings (grudging respect)

I think Winnipeg gets up for us because of Kovy and I think Florida always gets up for us because we knock them out of the playoffs, but I don't think we play any different.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
Yup, all those guys besides maybe J. Staal. But Eric for **** sure. I'd want to know from a Carolina fan's perspective, who on the Devils? I know there was a mention of Stevens, but that lasted for only a short period and he was retired. It just seems a bit uneven on both sides in terms of nastiness. You need those villains on both teams to make a great rivalry IMO. From our side it's kind of tame (due to the playoff losses obviously) Who exactly do Canes fans dislike? Brodeur? Elias?
There's some that dislike Brodeur in the same sense that they dislike Chara. Absolutely elite player, arguably the best at the position of their generation, playing against the Canes. Nobody even came close to generating the type of hate that Stevens did due to the Francis hit though.

And for the record, quite a few Canes fans hate the goal horn crap just about as much as you guys do, myself included.

It's funny though most of us, with the exception of some of our more trollish posters or those that just still hold the Stevens grudge, don't hate you guys persay. Might not like you but there's still that amount of respect considering your fans don't act like asshats when dealing with us, and we try to do the same. The same can't be said of a few others who have made the trek in recent years, and/or have more bandwagonish fanbases.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:13 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

I'm not sure if you call it a real rivalry but I can't stand the Canes. They always seem to beat us in the playoffs when we have a really good team.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
There's some that dislike Brodeur in the same sense that they dislike Chara. Absolutely elite player, arguably the best at the position of their generation, playing against the Canes. Nobody even came close to generating the type of hate that Stevens did due to the Francis hit though.

And for the record, quite a few Canes fans hate the goal horn crap just about as much as you guys do, myself included.

It's funny though most of us, with the exception of some of our more trollish posters or those that just still hold the Stevens grudge, don't hate you guys persay. Might not like you but there's still that amount of respect considering your fans don't act like asshats when dealing with us, and we try to do the same. The same can't be said of a few others who have made the trek in recent years, and/or have more bandwagonish fanbases.
Yeah I can stand the goal horn. It's the weird clips I don't like.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Very true about the Devils chant. I never really understood it. It seems like more of a celebration of the hatred of the opposition more than an uplifting of the team itself. "You suck" cheers during play? All for 'em. But when my team scores, I want to lose my mind for OUR boys. Not lose it for their guys. With that said, glass houses and such, our goal horn is as hokey and awful as any you'll find but it's been in place so long that I can't .... not hear it? If that makes any sense.
Wait the goal horn? Ours is pretty standard from the ones I've heard around the league.

I get why people don't like the chant but honestly I don't think it is as bad as some say, and if someone can think of something better to get the whole crowd chanting I am all for it. IDK its fun.

Anyway the CAnes...ya not a rival and definitely not a threat. I still dislike the team with a passion, but Rags and Flyers are the true rivals.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
NC107*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdevjet View Post
concerned about the canes ??? LMAO !

You'll see talk to me at the end of the season.

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I am not concerned about any team, ever.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
NC107*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I am not concerned about any team, ever.
Actually nor am I but I think there are teams that will be a challenge in the pursuit of a playoff round. Like Carolina, Rangers, Pittsburgh and Washington for the Devils this season.

NC107* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah I can stand the goal horn. It's the weird clips I don't like.
EXACTLY! It's like someone went nuts in the Cartoon Network sound effects vault as soon as some of those clips became public domain or something.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:46 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

A rival? No. Ever since that game, we've beat them pretty handily during the regular season and they were nice enough to give us an easy win to clinch a playoff berth in '12.

Do I hate them for 2009? Sure. Do I care about them otherwise? Not really.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
A rival? No. Ever since that game, we've beat them pretty handily during the regular season and they were nice enough to give us an easy win to clinch a playoff berth in '12.

Do I hate them for 2009? Sure. Do I care about them otherwise? Not really.
It's kinda weird how we officially eliminated them from playoff contention in 2010, and clinched a playoff spot against them in 2012. I think that loss to us might have even officially knocked them out too.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 04:55 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Wait the goal horn? Ours is pretty standard from the ones I've heard around the league.

I get why people don't like the chant but honestly I don't think it is as bad as some say, and if someone can think of something better to get the whole crowd chanting I am all for it. IDK its fun.

Anyway the CAnes...ya not a rival and definitely not a threat. I still dislike the team with a passion, but Rags and Flyers are the true rivals.
Our goal horn doesn't sound like anybody else's. I wouldn't call it unique, but you definitely know when it's ours. Nothing will beat the CAA audio file horn though.

Our "you suck" chant is that bad and there is nothing fun about it. It's awful.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
You've probably never even been in the metropolitan division...
No one has because it was just "created" now.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:10 PM
ajdevjet
cant wait for Oct 9

the Carolina Hurricanes being the Devils rival is completely ridiculous and the fact that some here are concerned or worried about them is a shame. I fear no team not one team in the nhl scares me. the only team we need to be concerned with is the New Jersey Devils. this is my last post about this subject

ajdevjet is offline   Reply With Quote