HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Bowman Building a Dynasty Around the Cap

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  #51
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It wasn't single handedly, I'll admit that. Still, I feel like he was just sitting back watching a train wreck. Had he done anything but what he did that year, I believe our chances would have been better. Like people have said, it was just a matter of snapping out of it and I really feel like the moves he made before the year just made everything so funky and then it just went from there. I don't want to talk to about it anymore or bring back the negativity. Nothing wrong with disagreeing on Bowman's role in that mess, that was the most frustrating season for me as a Hawk fan AINEC. The answers were obvious but they just let the deer wander into the road and get obliterated. Thankfully, things got back on track the next year and everything is in order now.
Crawford's save % in the first round was .893. End of story.

I'm not saying Crawford alone was the reason for the first round exit - however his play was also not something we were going to overcome.

...and I can't believe you're still carrying on about Bowman when we just won the cup. Isn't there a point where you just need to let it go?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
  #52
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Crawford's save % in the first round was .893. End of story.

I'm not saying Crawford alone was the reason for the first round exit - however his play was also not something we were going to overcome.

...and I can't believe you're still carrying on about Bowman when we just won the cup. Isn't there a point where you just need to let it go?
I have let it go. Just like the people who keep bringing up Toews and Kane taking a **** in the playoffs have let it go. Same difference. It doesn't bother me now, but I haven't forgotten about what I saw happen, that's all.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:51 PM
  #53
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Crawford's save % in the first round was .893. End of story.

I'm not saying Crawford alone was the reason for the first round exit - however his play was also not something we were going to overcome.

...and I can't believe you're still carrying on about Bowman when we just won the cup. Isn't there a point where you just need to let it go?



Not when you have a point to prove (whatever it is).

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
  #54
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
[/B]

Not when you have a point to prove (whatever it is).
That although he has done a great job on the whole, he hasn't been perfect. I keep biting my tongue on the Mr. Perfection rhetoric and how everyone else was so flawed.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
  #55
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
Nope. Didn't add Morrow, Iginla or Murray.

He sucks and should be fired immediately.

Also Derek Roy.
But he blew the future for Oduya remember.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:06 PM
  #56
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
That although he has done a great job on the whole, he hasn't been perfect. I keep biting my tongue on the Mr. Perfection rhetoric and how everyone else was so flawed.
Who has said that he is perfect though? It just seems like your constructing strawmans to argue against at this point. Of course he has made mistakes, every damn GM in the league has.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
  #57
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
But he blew the future for Oduya remember.
Well it's quite obvious at this point that those 2nd and 3rd round picks would have cemented a dynasty, right?

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  #58
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,872
vCash: 500
Bowman builds a dynasty while saying Toews and Kane will stay no matter what will happen...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM
  #59
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Who has said that he is perfect though? It just seems like your constructing strawmans to argue against at this point. Of course he has made mistakes, every damn GM in the league has.
Well, that's the first I've heard of that, so thanks.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:25 PM
  #60
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Any time anyone complains about Bowman, just ask them...who would you rather have? Because no one out there would be better for the job.

not Burke, not Tallon, ....nobody.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  #61
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Any time anyone complains about Bowman, just ask them...who would you rather have? Because no one out there would be better for the job.

not Burke, not Tallon, ....nobody.
Was just trying to make the point that he hasn't been perfect, but he has done a good job.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
  #62
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,456
vCash: 1
I once wrote a note to Bowman during class asking if he liked me, and he circled "N."

Fire the monster!

__________________

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:41 PM
  #63
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I once wrote a note to Bowman during class asking if he liked me, and he circled "N."

Fire the monster!
To be fair that note circulated to the rest of the class and they responded in suit, so you can't really hold that against Stan.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
  #64
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Was just trying to make the point that he hasn't been perfect, but he has done a good job.
Asking for perfection from an NHL GM is too much to ask. Not one GM in the league (ever) has been perfect. But a lot of us have defended Stan from the get-go because we know he is a good GM and can get us a Cup (like he did).

Just because we always defend him, doesn't mean he is perfect.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  #65
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,456
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
To be fair that note circulated to the rest of the class and they responded in suit, so you can't really hold that against Stan.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  #66
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
It's really stupid to even discuss. IMO, he's had 3 good years and 1 bad year. If people want to call 2011-12 a good year for him, go ahead. He could run over a child and some people would say "Kid should have looked both ways, they better get out there with a shovel and a garbage bag so Stan isn't late." But hey, he's had a good tenure and did a great job last year, no disputing that at all.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 02:49 PM
  #67
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Just because we always defend him, doesn't mean he is perfect.
Fair enough.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:06 PM
  #68
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It's really stupid to even discuss. IMO, he's had 3 good years and 1 bad year. If people want to call 2011-12 a good year for him, go ahead. He could run over a child and some people would say "Kid should have looked both ways, they better get out there with a shovel and a garbage bag so Stan isn't late." But hey, he's had a good tenure and did a great job last year, no disputing that at all.
The 2011-2012 season saw them dump Campbell's contract which allowed them to extend Sharp and Seabrook, he acquired a 2nd pairing defenseman which played a key role in the 2012-2013 Cup run, signed Stalberg to a dirt cheap extension, traded Brouwer for a 1st round pick, drafted Saad and Shaw as well as Clendening and Danault and worked several rookies into the line up to see which ones were ready to contribute full time (ended up being Leddy, Kruger, and Shaw). From a GM perspective, thats a pretty damn good year. Players have to play when their out on the ice.


Last edited by Illinihockey: 09-06-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:59 PM
  #69
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I once wrote a note to Bowman during class asking if he liked me, and he circled "N."

Fire the monster!


And the last ill say on that season was that Bowman is playing the long game- he's setting up the team to take quality shots at winning every single year; not blowing his wad on one single season.

And honestly doing better than expected- didn't expect another cup so soon, and it looks like things are only getting better.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:00 AM
  #70
LBS8844
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
It didn't help Toews was just coming off of a concussion, Bolland was hurt, and Hossa got knocked out of the series in game 3.
Oh, and there was this brick wall named Smith. It does happen. Seriously, folks, many of you may not want (or have the capacity) to believe it, but despite the massive turnover after Cup 2010, we've remained right there straight through. Stan is redefining the GM position during the cap era, and he's resurrected the 'dynasty' term in that context. One could in the interim attempt to name a New Jersey, or a Colorado, or a Detroit, or perhaps even a Pittsburgh, but 'dynasty' more accurately applies to an Edmonton or an Islanders before them (min. 4). The Chicago Blackhawks top to bottom are not only right now the best organization in the NHL, they're the class of professional sports in the USA (please, no Miami Heat nonsense...they'll be busted up and/or broken within 2 years). As another stated, in a 7-game playoff series, the Blackhawks are extremely brutal to put away...there is no team in the NHL better positioned to seize more Cups.


Last edited by LBS8844: 09-13-2013 at 01:54 AM.
LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
  #71
hockeydoug
Registered User
 
hockeydoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Stan is redefining the GM position during the cap era, and he's resurrected the 'dynasty' term in that context.
We'll see. Chiarelli, Shero (I don't like him but he keeps getting a team to the CF), Wilson, Holland, and Bowman all seem to have a handle on running things in the cap era. I think the playoff performances are weighted too heavily when evaluating gms.

Even if Detroit won in 7, I think Bowman has done more than enough to put him among the better gms that are worthy of an extension. Roster, coaching, system, and front office turnover that has lead to an improvement on the ice for 3 straight seasons (regardless of the cup) is reason enough to give him more time.

Things look to be on a nice trajectory.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 10:20 AM
  #72
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The 2011-2012 season saw them dump Campbell's contract which allowed them to extend Sharp and Seabrook, he acquired a 2nd pairing defenseman which played a key role in the 2012-2013 Cup run, signed Stalberg to a dirt cheap extension, traded Brouwer for a 1st round pick, drafted Saad and Shaw as well as Clendening and Danault and worked several rookies into the line up to see which ones were ready to contribute full time (ended up being Leddy, Kruger, and Shaw). From a GM perspective, thats a pretty damn good year. Players have to play when their out on the ice.
This is a great post and really puts things into perspective. How many GM's 2 years after a draft class have 2 contributors (neither drafted in the first round), and 2-3 other very good prospects (depending on how you evaluate McNeil).

The big insight thought is that the players have to be the difference makers. If the Hawks get bounced by DET in game 7 - this board is in a VERY different place right now and fundamentally Bowman did the same exact job. He put the guys in the position to succeed, but they had to capitalize and take advantage of that opportunity. Many of the same guys that came through this year were AWOL in 2011-12.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 02:11 PM
  #73
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,872
vCash: 500
Holland is for sure the most overrated GM all time

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:24 PM
  #74
hockeydoug
Registered User
 
hockeydoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Holland is for sure the most overrated GM all time
Doesn't he have to miss the playoffs first to be in that conversation?

Regier, Lou, Wilson, Sather, and a whole bunch of others have gotten tremendous praise throughout the years and don't have the same level of sustained success or competitiveness,

On a praise to success ratio, I don't think Holland comes close to being the most overrated of all time, but I have considered him generally overrated for a while.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:58 PM
  #75
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Ya, Holland is overrated, but he isn't the most overrated ever, and hes still a decent GM.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.