HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 07:50 AM
soldier0829

vCash: 500
I think it is the nasty air quality in and around NYC that make it disgusting during the hot and muggy weather. Throw in the humidity and anything over 85 is unbearable - especially when you're dressed to go to work!

Old
09-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Trl3789

Today I paid the league fees for my two teams this winter. Pumped to get started on Sunday.

Old
09-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Ozz

Had a late night 9-5 W (4g1a for me) in our opening round of summer playoffs. We were seed #4 playing seed #5. Next week ends our playoffs; we either lose in the semi-finals and go home, or win and stay to play the finals later on.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:52 AM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
As someone who has lived in somewhat hot, muggy Boston along with actually hot and disgustingly muggy Houston and ridiculously hellishly hot but rarely muggy Phoenix, I can safely state that neither SoCal nor NYC get that hot during the summer. Y'all are just wimps. And have a decided lack of air conditioning in the north east.
You're either delusional or just enjoy getting on people's nerves. So according to you, anywhere around 95 degrees is not considered hot? Because that's what you can expect at times in a New York summer.

Old
09-06-2013, 11:32 AM
do0glas

Ozz,

based on how many goals you score most times you post, i feel like you may need to move up a league

Old
09-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Ozz,

based on how many goals you score most times you post, i feel like you may need to move up a league
I play in a few leagues from low to highest but sometimes the talent between divisions gets so messed up you never know what's going to happen.

This summer I've been on a scoring rampage for all my teams though, for some reason.

This particular team in question is low tier and run by a friend who asked me to help make them a contender. There are 8 teams in that division and 2 could easily play 2-3 divisions higher and remain good. One is undefeated here and the other has 1 1-goal loss. Despite my scoring, my team is 1 win above .500 (though I did miss 2 of those losses). Remove me and my team can't do much, remove the best player on those top 2 teams and someone else just takes his place as the "star". Their entire teams are talented and the rest of the teams are made up of good players mixed w/beginners and those without much if any skill. At least we're in the mix of things and not killing everyone like some. I could see being called a ringer but I'm really just there to help combat the entire ringer teams.

The league doesn't really make anyone move up because they'll cry about not being available on whatever days they would have to move to, etc., so what can you do. What's sad is these guys could move up 2-3 divisions and still be really good teams, but they'd rather stay low and beat on everyone.

Odd side story: For summer I asked the league to place me on yet another team if they needed to fill a spot; I ended up in the LOWEST division. 8 game season and it took until our last game for me to get my first and only goal. That division had a couple really tough teams who belonged a couple divisions higher as well, and my team was just plain awful. I had nothing to work with and we had some tough teams to play. Looking at that one might think I very well belonged in that league. I do have my off days too where I certainly feel like I belong down there

Old
09-06-2013, 02:16 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Ozz,

lol I was thinking the exact same thing

Old
09-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
lol I was thinking the exact same thing
Eh, see above. I often get 2-3 in the highest league as well. What do you want me to do, not play? I'm far from the most skilled but I get results. I get skated circles around in the highest divisions most the time.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:08 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
Today I played shootout with this girl who plays hockey too. Match made on the ice, I say...

Old
09-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Sureshot
Thumbs up, soldier!

Had a great session today (despite the heat, again) - both my shot and stickhandling are improving (the latter due in-part to picking up a stickhandling ball recently). Also, I have no idea why but I've found my backhand is actually pretty strong.

Old
09-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Today I played shootout with this girl who plays hockey too. Match made on the ice, I say...
Make any five-hole jokes?

Old
09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Today I bought all new equipment for the new year! And it actually came out a great price.

Old
09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Ozz

2g1a in a 8-3 loss to be booted from one of our divisions' playoffs. We had no subs and they let 2 ineligible players on the other team play anyway. Of course they accounted for more than 50% of their production. We had them close until about halfway through, then they got 2 quick ones and we couldn't dig out of the hole.

And see, I don't net a hatty every game :p

Old
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
2g1a in a 8-3 loss to be booted from one of our divisions' playoffs. We had no subs and they let 2 ineligible players on the other team play anyway. Of course they accounted for more than 50% of their production. We had them close until about halfway through, then they got 2 quick ones and we couldn't dig out of the hole.

And see, I don't net a hatty every game :p
that's probably only due to crappy scorekeeping . . .

Old
09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Ozz

Quote:
that's probably only due to crappy scorekeeping . . .
This rink is usually notorious for bad scorekeeping but they've really gotten pretty spot-on lately. But we did put only 3 in the net

Old
09-09-2013, 05:07 PM
windycity

Quote:
This rink is usually notorious for bad scorekeeping but they've really gotten pretty spot-on lately. But we did put only 3 in the net
one league I'm in is really bad, I've been credited with goals when I've not been on the ice and not gotten credit for goals I've scored. The refs aren't much better, last night they called a penaly on #11 on our team but we don't actually have a #11. The closest we got was a #18 who ended up serving the penalty

Old
09-09-2013, 07:46 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

Quote:
Make any five-hole jokes?
Haha I did. She's pretty good too so I was making some interesting saves

Old
09-09-2013, 08:26 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
got the email today that i was dropped to the "practice team" after i played on my college's acha d3 team last year...

worked hard all summer by playing mens league, lifting every other day, and following a strict diet... all to get showed up in tryouts because im not as skilled as the other players

words cant really describe the disappointment... i know i wont but i want to throw my skates out the window

Old
09-09-2013, 08:29 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

Don't give that up. Keep playing. Show them back up

Old
09-09-2013, 08:34 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Haha I did. She's pretty good too so I was making some interesting saves
pics please
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
got the email today that i was dropped to the "practice team" after i played on my college's acha d3 team last year...

worked hard all summer by playing mens league, lifting every other day, and following a strict diet... all to get showed up in tryouts because im not as skilled as the other players

words cant really describe the disappointment... i know i wont but i want to throw my skates out the window

That sucks man. Hope for the best.

Old
09-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Ozz

Quote:
one league I'm in is really bad, I've been credited with goals when I've not been on the ice and not gotten credit for goals I've scored. The refs aren't much better, last night they called a penaly on #11 on our team but we don't actually have a #11. The closest we got was a #18 who ended up serving the penalty
That's routine here as well unfortunately. It's funny to see how bad they can get. I remember one guy scored 3 and they counted 0 for him.

Our goalie once got credited for a goal scored by a forward. That's pretty good on its own but he wasn't even at the rink that day AND they had him written in as a skater anyway

Old
09-10-2013, 09:44 AM
gosinger

Quote:
"Skill" without work ethics is nothing - you know you have the drive and determination it takes, so get out there, work your ass off and they will have to notice you fighting for your chance. Rock the "training team", show what you can do, and you will get back up there!

Old
09-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Sleepy
2014 Avenged

Quote:
So, you'll get to practice against the guys who made the team? Sounds like the perfect opportunity&motivation to keep getting better and outplay the guys who made the team in practice every week.

If you really want to make the team, the opportunity is still there. It's just gonna take redoubled efforts.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
So, you'll get to practice against the guys who made the team? Sounds like the perfect opportunity&motivation to keep getting better and outplay the guys who made the team in practice every week.

If you really want to make the team, the opportunity is still there. It's just gonna take redoubled efforts.
idk... dues are $700 still, which is for 1 late night practice a week and theres no guarantee of playing time.. and if i do play itll be 4th line 6 mins a game. not to mention im taking 18 credit hours this semester.

ill probably show to this weeks practice and see from there, im just totally dissapointed

Old
09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

vCash: 448
First game after almost 3 weeks of not smoking. Scored a hat trick and the GWG in the final minute. Felt great out there.

Closed Thread