HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DirecTV vs FiOS

Old
09-05-2013, 06:24 PM
RidinwitdaKING

vCash: 500
I love Rangers in 60 for Free(need to buy Sports Package) on Directv

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 06:32 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

From my research it seems DirecTV is the better choice when it comes to the number of channels available, especially with sports and international programming. Having all the courts of the US Open at my fingertips was pretty awesome at my friend's house. FiOS on the other hand is a lot more reliable and a bit cheaper, especially when you consider premium channels like HBO & Showtime. The picture quality seems comparable. I've seen the two side by side in an all things being equal comparison and I couldn't notice a difference. If one or the other were to ever carry Sky Sports one day that'd be a deal maker for me.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 06:59 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
My wife and I have looked into dropping TWC. I bought a smart tv in august. However, currently there is no way to get live sports. If you buy the sunday ticket, for example through an XBox, the local broadcast is still blacked out. Not sure if the hockey package is available through XBox, but Rangers games would be blacked out in NY. If you live elsewhere then it would work. I already tried using one of the streaming sites through my smart tv, but it didnt work. Got on the site, clicked a game, but when I tried to choose the link, I received an error message saying I did not have enough memory.
Thanks.
Pls keep me posted with your latest developments.

You'd think like MSG/Yankees, etc, would be happy to sell you direct streaming from their site, or a counterpart dedicated site they control just for streaming. Eliminates the middle man.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:06 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
If forced to allow a la carte subscriptions, networks would just spread their popular programming across multiple channels.
Perhaps in a vacuum, initially.
But competition would push consumers to demand the best shows, and different channels would have similar types of deals but different programming w/some of the same shows. But you'd still get some kind of volume discount, which gets passed on to the consumer at some point because the consumer, with more options to get programming he wants, controls the situation.

As opposed to now, where consumer has no control, has to take what cable distributors decide to package based on what = most profit for them.

Carrying this a step further, it's not just the best channels, but the best shows.

Once we do things directly enough on the net, in theory producers of shows can try to strike deals, doing both distribution via channels AND directly from a site.

Long term, technology is a hope we will break the ********.
But in the short term, we suffer.

Old
09-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Sorry but nothing is worse than cablevision...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:34 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Thanks.
Pls keep me posted with your latest developments.

You'd think like MSG/Yankees, etc, would be happy to sell you direct streaming from their site, or a counterpart dedicated site they control just for streaming. Eliminates the middle man.
Considering the Yankees, Mets, Rangers and Knicks own their station, I am surprised this isn't offered. My guess is the revenue they would gain from the subscriptions and online advertising won't make up for the lost revenue of having it exclusively on tv. Or, they just haven't researched this yet. But, if the Rangers ever did something like this, where you could just order the games, live I would do it and drop the cable. I could go to the bar or a friend's to watch the Giants, could do without the Mets, and shows would just watch on netflix of hulu. Truth is, while I do watch a lot on history, discovery, national geograpic, but nothing that I really NEED to watch.

Then again, it is not as if it will save me much money. Companies would eventually just raise internet service fees until they were as much as what I am paying now for the triple play.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Sorry but nothing is worse than cablevision...
DirecTV is, but only because of the weather.

When I had DirecTV, I loved it, but snow is the absolute worst. No matter what anyone from DirecTV says, bad weather is a problem for your reception.

I'll take Cablevision (now technically "Optimum") over DirecTV any day of the week.

09-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Of note, DirectTV Center Ice package blows everything out of the water. That's because they have direct feeds to the local networks, not the ****** feeds given to them by the parent company of Center Ice. Almost every game is in HD, with multiple Home/Away Feeds.

Fios got a lot better last year with their Center Ice options though. Almost every game was in HD by the end of the year, but not quite as good as DirectTV's.
Fios does not carry both team's feeds in their Center Ice package?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 12:14 PM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Fios does not carry both team's feeds in their Center Ice package?
It all depends... I live outside Philly now and have FiOS since i moved... I can't get sat at any of the places ive lived and I hate comcast with a passion after bad experiences in college with them, but for a Rangers fan, very rarely did I get home team coverage the last 2 years, and if I did, it was the SD feed. The HD/SD thing also was probably part of that whole no MSG HD outside optimum lawsuit that was finally resolved. I'm hoping this year its better and I get more HD MSG feeds but we'll see

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
It all depends... I live outside Philly now and have FiOS since i moved... I can't get sat at any of the places ive lived and I hate comcast with a passion after bad experiences in college with them, but for a Rangers fan, very rarely did I get home team coverage the last 2 years, and if I did, it was the SD feed. The HD/SD thing also was probably part of that whole no MSG HD outside optimum lawsuit that was finally resolved. I'm hoping this year its better and I get more HD MSG feeds but we'll see
I'm talking about out of market. For instance, if the Sharks are playing the Kings, or the Blues are playing the Wings, do you get the telecasts of both teams?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 03:44 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Quote:
Considering the Yankees, Mets, Rangers and Knicks own their station, I am surprised this isn't offered.
I am stunned beyond words...

Quote:
My guess is the revenue they would gain from the subscriptions and online advertising won't make up for the lost revenue of having it exclusively on tv.
They control the product; they don't have to back a monopoly viewing 'exclusively' on TV. They can get all they will additionally get, and then demand beaucoup bucks from TV station(s). No prob, with oversaturation, every game is different, so it is widening the distribution. Only factor lessening what a station would pay is competition of other viewing choices.

Quote:
Or, they just haven't researched this yet.
Could be.....

Quote:
But, if the Rangers ever did something like this, where you could just order the games, live I would do it and drop the cable.
Video killed the radio star, internet is killing tv.
These smart sets have other value added purpose, so should only be a matter of time.
Common, guitar Jimmy Dolan!
I want to tell cable where to go..........

Quote:
Then again, it is not as if it will save me much money. Companies would eventually just raise internet service fees until they were as much as what I am paying now for the triple play.
Maybe, except you would have a more direct relationship w/the producer (team) and the consumer (fan), and that would be economically good for us. If things really got crazy, fans could always petition for relief from excessive price gouging, just as consumers have that right in other scenarios.

Old
09-06-2013, 04:35 PM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'm talking about out of market. For instance, if the Sharks are playing the Kings, or the Blues are playing the Wings, do you get the telecasts of both teams?
sometimes yes and sometimes no... it got better at the end of the season as mentioned previously in the thread but it wasn't always a guarantee

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 05:30 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I am stunned beyond words...

They control the product; they don't have to back a monopoly viewing 'exclusively' on TV. They can get all they will additionally get, and then demand beaucoup bucks from TV station(s). No prob, with oversaturation, every game is different, so it is widening the distribution. Only factor lessening what a station would pay is competition of other viewing choices.

Could be.....

Video killed the radio star, internet is killing tv.
These smart sets have other value added purpose, so should only be a matter of time.
Common, guitar Jimmy Dolan!
I want to tell cable where to go..........

Maybe, except you would have a more direct relationship w/the producer (team) and the consumer (fan), and that would be economically good for us. If things really got crazy, fans could always petition for relief from excessive price gouging, just as consumers have that right in other scenarios.
The other thing to consider for the Rangers, is they are owned by a cable provider, so on second thought I doubt they ever offer their games online on their own.

I do remember about 10-15 years ago listening to Mike and the Mad Dog, they were talking about NFL Sunday ticket. Francesa was saying that his sources with the league were telling him that eventually they want to just offer the package on a team-by-team basis. So, if you are a Dolphins fan living in NY, you could get JUST the Dolphins games. Obviously, this never happened. I guess it won't be considered so long as Direct Tv is paying gazillions of dollars for exclusive rights to the package.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 06:20 PM
True Blue 96

FIOS is a much better option and cheaper for the most part. Direct TV produces true 1080p picture but you can't tell the difference between FIOS side by side. Plus I like the options, on demand, especially the menu (hate direct tv menu). Cablevision is a joke compared to the other two. I have had FIOS since it was available in my area and most people once they switch there not going back (Fromm conversations). The only thing FIOS is missing is the hopper/genie, once they get that then it will be a clear winner for me.

True Blue 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 07:05 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I feel a terrestrial provider can't come close to a satellite provider in terms of channel options.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Hockeyplayer99

Fios is the best IMO, my brother has Directv in Florida no Fios to bad, and it is always going out, even when the weather is nice. Their customer service is horrible as well. I called them a few times for him and they just didn't know much, kept being switched from one person to another with nothing being resolved. Fios does the same, but as bad as people say their customer service is, I have never had any real problems with them, Used to have Cable and they have the best customer service, and they have improved their quality, but still not as good as Fios, plus when we have bad storms here,the Fios people still have TV, internet, and phone whereas Cable and Directv neighbors are always out or service.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 08:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker MacDonald View Post
DirecTV is, but only because of the weather.

When I had DirecTV, I loved it, but snow is the absolute worst. No matter what anyone from DirecTV says, bad weather is a problem for your reception.

I'll take Cablevision (now technically "Optimum") over DirecTV any day of the week.
We don't have Fios here in New Hampshire but I've seen it when visiting my parents on Staten Island...Fios picture quality beats DirecTV.

I live in New Hampshire and we get way more snow than NYC and I've rarely had an issue with snow knocking out my signal..and I've had DirecTV for 13 years...the fact that 99.999999% of the games on Center Ice are in HD and have both teams feed is the kicker...if you don't have Fios as an option DTV is the choice

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
highandwide
It's gold Jerry.

just switched from DirecTv to FIO. It's only been a week but I know I always had weather issues with Dtv in NYC. It wouldn't even be raining and would have issues; it would be frustrating considering there would be nothing you can do.

highandwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

People who have issue with DirecTV with little to no weather: it's possible that you don't have your dish calibrated correctly.

I had the same problem. A little rain and we had no signal.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 08:31 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Those of you with direct tv, what package are you on and what is your monthly bill? Just curious.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
People who have issue with DirecTV with little to no weather: it's possible that you don't have your dish calibrated correctly.

I had the same problem. A little rain and we had no signal.
This. Most people don't realize it, but a dish can move with time and come out of alignment or just not be positioned correctly in the first place. IMO, with sports in HD, nothing can beat DirecTV. Picture quality is excellent also.

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:20 AM
dubidubidu

My parents have DirecTV and in really bad storms they lose the signal, but like others have said they have an older dish so that could be the problem.

I've had Fios since early 2012 when Time Warner dropped MSG and have absolutely loved it. I've got every single channel imaginable plus phone and internet with 4 boxes and it still came out $50/mo cheaper than what I was paying for just cable and internet with TWC.

The signal is great, none of the digital breakup we had with cable, and for the most part customer service has been pretty good. The only complaint I have with Fios is there is no picture-in-picture. There is a button for it on the remote and they've been promising it for years, but it still doesn't exist.

dubidubidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Abooch68

double post..

Last edited by Abooch68: 09-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:24 AM
dubidubidu

As for the picture quality, I'm not sure there's much of a difference, if any at all between the different providers. 1080i is 1080i. Fios kept going on and on how it was so much better than cable, but I had them side by side for a week and it was exactly the same.

dubidubidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:45 AM
broadwayblue

I haven't had DirecTV in over a decade, but FiOS is solid. And the internet is blazing fast. Much cheaper than TWC too.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote